• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 1,189 Views, 24 Comments

The Sun Will Always Shine - Ice Star



Celestia opens one door. And then another...

  • ...
3
 24
 1,189

Everyday Occurrence

Princess Celestia closed the door and did not allow herself to frown. It was only the sixth room that she had checked.

She closed the castle door and then moved down the hallway. It was a very simple task. There was nothing wrong today. The sun was quite literally shining high in the sky, just outside the castle. All of Equestria was basking in its light.

She was a little frustrated though. Something was missing. There would be a whole slew of petitioning ponies with problems that she never doubted were from whatever crops or land that peasants were arguing over.

She would be there to solve them all.

She never wasn't.

The castle may have been empty of servants, but there would be galas that she would throw, and it would be then that the castle was filled with her subjects.

Celestia opened and shut another door after she found the chamber to be empty.

Her hoof steps and breathing were the only sound.

The halls of the Castle of the Two Sisters were always rather dark and very labyrinthine. It was a complex and grim edifice that was right smack in the middle of a dangerous and enchanted forest. The distinct gloomy style of the place - her home - was formal and fitting for a ruler of her time.

She closed the eighth door and turned down another hallway that was just as quiet as the last one that she had been walking down.

Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve.

All were empty.

She did not know why she was smiling. She did not think about why, she just knew that it was natural for her, and that it always had been. So she did it.

Then came thirteen. And fourteen. Another hallway when she turned. Now she was on empty room number fifteen.

It was getting late for her to keep putting off her duty like this. Celestia was certain that someone would be waiting for her and she did not like to keep ponies waiting. Her infinite patience was not always reflected in her subjects.

Sixteen. Seventeen. Eighteen. Nineteen.

And now twenty empty rooms...

Was something wrong? No, it was just a very large castle. Nothing was wrong. Not at all. The sun was even shining outside.

Twenty one. Twenty two. Twenty three. Twenty four. Twenty five.

All empty.

And then she turned down another hallway and kept walking.

Her brow was creased with worry. But nothing was wrong, it was just a delay. A minor delay.

She could take care of herself. There was nothing wrong. She was certain - very, very much so - that this had happened before and of course, there was simply nothing wrong. Delays happened. Nothing was wrong.

She was on door thirty now. Princess Celestia had not lost count of something like this. Would she ever?

The sun would always shine.

This was unusual, but not wrong. Nothing was wrong. This, of course, meant that there was simply no reason for Princess Celestia of all ponies to be doubting herself like this.

She was only opening doors, and that was a simple task.

In a hallway that she didn't bother to count, she heard her breathing calm.

And then she thought carefully. She thought of where she did not check, in this vast castle.

An answer popped into her mind, and for a moment, Celestia's smile returned. It was really so obvious and silly of her to forget!

Maybe Luna was in the throne room!