• Published 18th Jun 2017
  • 4,015 Views, 195 Comments

Of Guns, Mechs And Magic [Being rewritten in 'A Pilot's Search'] - Solarus44



When a Vanguard Pilot and his Titan are stranded in a barren desert after a retrieval mission gone wrong, how will these two find their way back to the Frontier?

  • ...
11
 195
 4,015

Chapter 1: Retrieval Mission

Chapter 1: Retrieval Mission

"We're going to be cutting it close Beck!" Sol yelled in his Australian accent. Sol "Shadow" Cotter and BK-3891, "Beck" as Sol called her, were currently on a retrieval mission to reacquire the Grizzly Device that Jack Cooper left in the abandoned IMC research facility. They were already short on time as it was, since the Fold Weapon was close to firing. But when they exited that giant door leading to the open space of the facilty, with the destroyed prototype Fold Weapon on the other side, they were faced with multiple Titans with ground support supposedly searching for the Grizzly Device too.

"You don't think I know Sol? I am an A.I after all." Beck replied with her usual humour.

"You're a git, you know that right?"

"As you have reminded me numerous times before." Beck answered as their body dodged out of the way of an Archer Rocket.

"Let's cut the chatter until these fuckers are dead, eh?" Sol suggested.

"Agreed."

And with that they got serious. Fully assessing their situation, they were faced with 1 Legion Titan and 1 Ronin, along with a dozen or so grunts with AT weapons. Their first move was to bring the Ronin to them, using a Ronin Titan Pilot's usual eagerness to block the wall of bullets being sent their way from the Legion, this combined with a grunts bad luck and aim, effectively made it a dual. Beck was currently outfitted with the Ion loadout, so the Tripwires were going to come in handy.

The Ronin made the first move, dashing forward with its sword raised. The moment the Ronin dashed, Sol dashed backwards while deploying a Tripwire in their previous position. When the Ronin hit the Tripwire, the explosive detonated, taking a good chunk of its armour away since it is lightly armoured. Sol brought out their Laser Shot and aimed for the critical hit. Expecting Sol to shoot right away, The Ronin dashed to the side, but Sol anticipated this and waited for the Ronin to settle and hit it right in the critical spot. With that Sol dashed forward and, since its armour was weak enough, grabbed the Ronin's sword arm, ripped it off and stabbed the sword through the cockpit, hand and arm still attached.

"Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!" Sol screaming in excitement, "Now it's time for this fat fuck."

A Legion is a slow but heavily armoured Titan with a clumsy minigun, the Predator Cannon, hence "fat fuck". Now with no allies to hurt, the Legion was free to spray death towards Sol. Sol brought up their Vortex Shield and caught as many bullets as they could before releasing and shooting it all back. Now the Legion had the smarts to bring up its Gun Shield, Sol fired a couple shots of their Splitter Rifle, but had to retreat to cover. As soon as Sol took cover, their shields were bombarded by AT Mag Launcher grenades.

"Seems they can finally aim, though it doesn't make sense how they missed in the first place, Mag Launcher grenades ARE MAGNETIC!" Sol screamed in a mix of confusion and rage.

Behind cover, he was able to mow down the grunts with their Splitter Rifle, once they were taken care of, he peaked their head over to see the Legion with its Gun Shield down and was much closer than it was before.

"Idiot." Sol muttered under his breath.

He stood up completely and launched a Tripwire in front of him. Shortly after, the Legion walked into it. With the Legion disoriented for a split second, Sol launched forward and punched the barrels of the Predator Cannon with their fist. Sending the gun flying, Sol kicked the Legion in the cockpit, sending the Legion onto the ground. Now vulnerable, Sol had enough time and leverage to punch into the cockpit, pull out the pilot and throw him into a wall baseball style.

Throwing their hands into the air, Sol yelled "BOO YA!" Placing his Splitter Rifle in the now exposed cockpit, he fried the Legion from the inside. With that, Sol disembarked from Beck.

"Now time to search for that Grizzly Device. Beck, the Device probably still has a large energy reading, can you pinpoint it?" Sol asked

"You know I can." Beck answered smugly, "It's at the start of the platform near the Fold Weapon prototype."

Nodding, Sol jumped onto the nearest wall to wallrun to the other side. Seeing a watch like device catch his eye, he picked it up, comfirming it as the Grizzly Device, and attached it to his hand.

"Do you think it still works? Id like to kick those guys asses all over again." Sol asked with hope in his voice.

"Probably not, from the reports Jack provided, its completely fried, but what remains can still benefit the Militia greatly." And with that, Beck shot down all of Sol's Doctor Who fantasies.

"Damn you." With that Sol embarked back into Beck.

"I've got an incoming radio transmission from Sarah Briggs." Beck informed.

"Patch her through."

"This is a message to all remaining Miltitia troops on Typhon, Jack Cooper has succeeded in destroying the Fold Weapon, but soon all of Typhon will go with it. There's not enough time to send dropships... I'm... so sorry... it's Demeter all over again." And with that Sarah ended the message.

Sol sat there in silence, struggling to process this.

"We're just... being left here... to die." Sol whispered with fear in his voice.

"Sol, it has been a pleasure." Beck said in an effort to cheer him up.

"Yeah... you too."

With that the last explosion from the Fold Weapon set off, but as the energy passed over Sol and Beck, Sol tightened his grip, accidentally setting off the Grizzly Device. As the Grizzly Device was filled with the time and space energies from the Fold Weapon, the world, went black.

Author's Note:

And that's the first chapter, I know it's going to be rough, and I hope my skills improve. Please tell what you liked and what I can improve on. I use their, they etc while Sol is embarked to show that when Sol is linked with Beck, they share the same body, and as with my theory, possibly their minds.

Sol-
Vanguard Pilot
Abilities: Cloak, Grapple and Holopilot (in one of the trailers Lastimosa had multiple abilities, something I think is exclusive to Vanguard Pilots.)
Weapons: R-201 Carbine, Smart Pistol, B3 Wingman and the Data Knife
Armour: The Grapple Pilot armour with Stoic Dark Camo with Moon decor on shoulder

Moon Design

BK-3891
Chassis: Vanguard (Same health as heaviest armoured Titan, faster than the fastest, able to change loadout ingame, but I don't think that would actually happen more like it could pick up loadouts up from the ground. This is for non Titanfall players)

Loadout: Ion with the Zero Tripwire kit Meet Ion Video the video doesn't mention this but all of Ions abilities share an energy pool, so a laser shot will take away half and a vortex shield will continuously drain the pool, watch a quick video on it. The Zero Tripwire kit makes it so the Tripwire doesn't cost energy. The Splitter has two firing modes, normal is pretty much a peashooter, while the alt firing mode does more damage but drains energy
Camo: Stoic Dark with Moon decor below optics, same position as Mocarch

Vanguard Titan

Legion Titan

Ronin Titan

About Sol's vocab: I hope I don't offend any fellow Australians with the stereotypical voice and language, but I have the accent and vocab of a stereotypical Australian from Crocodile Dundee, even though I live in Melbourne, well away from the Outback :)