• Published 18th Jun 2017
  • 423 Views, 34 Comments

Loyalty in Brass: Captain's Ashes - Mr BHunt



William has been found, but will the Captain return willingly with his sanity intact? But one thing is clear, the Fog will not let go.

  • ...
 34
 423

The Captain: William Doesn't fear the Dark...

The sound of scraping echoed through the ruined and collapsed market, the dense fog that covering it slowly revealing a shadowy figure. The strange figure was like a minotaur, but without horns and crawling with a single golden eye peering from its face. The figure's large cloak and trench coat bellowed behind it, the cloth torn and shredded but still holding a dark purple colour with silver running down its front in a series of runes. The figure's right eye was covered by a bit of fabric that had the symbol of the moon, while his left shone a faint golden colour. The figure raised its head to the sky and sniffed, then it snarled and charged in an unstable run at a nearby market stall. Suddenly a small dagger lashed from the shadows and tore at the Captain's face, but it did little to deter the beast as it roared and tore a chunk of flesh from the assailant. The griffin groaned and put a talon to the gaping hole in his throat, then he fell to the cold cobblestone. The Captain spat out the flesh and leaned closer to the dead griffin, but soon it smelt more prey and leapt onto the top of the stall. A pair of tall figures quickly crouched, but not fast enough as the Captain suddenly appeared and slammed a fist through the figure on the right. The figure on the left let out a garbled scream before the Captain grabbed its face and crushed it.

The Fog devoured the three bodies and let the blood soak into the Captain, the Fog was alive, it saw the Captain and saw a good deal. The Captain kills, the Fog feasts, although many disagree with the Captain and try to fight back. The Fog doesn't know why, everyone's gotta eat, right? The Captain moved its head and snarled at the Fog, what does he want? What about the Fumigators? Those are just silly people who use the Fog to spread the Fog, the Fog doesn't mind them. But the Captain wants to kill them, The Fog dislikes but still, the Fog still gets to eat.

Suddenly the Captain ducked down, a large arrow flies over its head. The Captain snarls and crawls along the ground, suddenly appearing in front of another tall figure. The Captain tore the figure's throat out and threw the corpse to the side, where it was eaten by the Fog. The Captain sniffed the air yet again, finding nothing it took a more relaxed stance as it prowled the streets. The Captain quietly snarls and coughs as it crawls, its mind now a wasteland. But a faint memory of a dark, winged horse was still hovering within the Captain's hollow and torn mind.

The Captain suddenly snapped his head to the sound of a clatter, the Captain quickly rose to his feet and glanced around. A shadow moved and the Captain spun around, throwing a dim but still golden kukri at the hidden griffin. The griffin fell with a scream and two others dashed from the rooftops to attack, but the Captain lunged at the pair and tackled them from the sky and smashed them into the ground. Quickly the Captain tore out their throats and sprinted with a low stance down an alleyway, exploding into another large marketplace. But the ground was covered in a thick and deep sludge, the Captain leapt into the middle of the market and turned around. Another four griffins appeared from the alley and sunk into the muck, yelps of surprise coming from them. They turned at spotted the Captain, cloak bellowing in a terrific display of intimidation. Then slowly, the Captain sunk into the muck, his golden eye flashing before disappearing.

"Where did It go?" One of the rookie griffins asked, then he sceamed as a large sword was plunged through his back with its grip held by the shadowy Captain. When the Captain was thrown, he lost his glaive, thus he needed a new weapon. With the small amount of sanity he had left, he forged a large greatsword. It was long and quite bare, the most noticeable feature were the two grooves in the back of the large blade with two small grips, one near the handle and one about halfway up the blade. The Captain learned his old fighting style was useless when the sword was crafted, but with the notches he can slam it down like his glaive or swing it like a sword.

The Captain grabbed the lower groove and let the sword drop into the muck, but to the surprise of the remaining griffins he quickly swung upwards and caused a large wave of sludge to devour one of the griffins. The others took to the skies, but one wasn't fast enough as the Captain swung his sword and caught the talons of the female griffin in the glaive notch and pulled her down into the muck. The last griffin watched in horror as the Captain rose above the female griffin and tackled her into the sludge pool, but he was even more terrified when a large arrow pierced his chest.

The griffin fell from the air and landed on the Captain's blade, the beast glanced at the griffin before throwing him to the side; knocking his brass helmet off in the process. The Captain saw his new prey, another tall figure with a large bow firmly dug into the roof of a tilting house.

The Fog likes it when the Captain fights, it gives the Fog an amazing show and makes more blood! Wait, the Captain eats the blood, not the Fog. The Fog hates the blood, but the flesh, the flesh is the best. Flesh is nice, but only those griffins have the best flesh and those feathers get in the way. Those silly people don't taste nice at all, but they have a kick to them, it's nice to mix it up. But... sometimes the Fog tastes the Captain's blood, only on rare occasions does the Captain get hit but everytime the Fog drinks. The Captain's blood is so tasty, so delicious and fine, like wine. Except it's like a drug, but the Fog knows if th Fog drinks too much then the Captain dies, if the Captain dies then no more bodies, no more bodies no more food... no more food, no more Fog, the Captain must live for the Fog to live.

Author's Note:

So the start of the Captain's Ashes, few things first.
There will be a lot of chapters that concentrate on the Captain, who due being more beast than human will not have 'he' or 'his' but 'it' instead. The Fumigators are a splinter cell from the platoon led by the Brass Centurion C-3737 and if you've played the Division then it's obvious what the Fumigators are, but for thsoe who haven't played it then they with be a stronger force of Cleaners and Incinerators. But I'm sure that the info on the front is enough, now read the next chapter... The Fog demands it, you will not disobey the Fog will you?