• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 611 Views, 8 Comments

The Chalice of Rhinyorgrun - Coyotek4



Rainbow Dash, accompanied by Daring Do and Quibble Pants, seek a powerful dragon relic before it falls into the wrong claws.

  • ...
1
 8
 611

Lament / An Unexpected Visit

“I was supposed to be at a Metallicolt concert right now. You know they have a new album? They got this one song, called ‘Moth Into Flames’ … I think that describes what Fluttershy’s feeling right now. *chuckle* ”

“Now I got another song stuck in my head: ‘Now That We’re Dead’. You think that’s appropriate to describe us now?”

“Seriously, we’re stuck here forever now, aren’t we? I mean, I guess ‘forever’ isn’t really the case; we’ll die of starvation before too long. But eventually, we’ll just be dusty bones like all the others here, won’t we.”

“I’m really sorry you got caught up in all this, too. Bad enough that I have to go this way, but I’m all about adventure and stuff. I pretty much have to accept that something like this could happen to me. But you … you didn’t deserve this.”

“Funny how life can throw you a curving buckball in an instant. It really was only yesterday afternoon that I was chillaxing …”


Exxxxxxxxiiiiiiiiiiit liiiiiiiiiiiiiiight,
Ennnnnnnnterrrrrrrrr niiiiiiiiiiiiight,
Graaaaaaaaaaaain of saaaaaaaaaaand …
We’re off to Never-Never Land!!!

The speakers from the sound system in Rainbow Dash’s foyer blast out Metallicolt at a volume level that would cause many a pony’s ears to bleed. Just the way she likes it.

Twenty minutes. That’s all the time she needs to chillax. After all, she earned a break. For two hours, she waited in that long line in Baltimare. Gave up a week’s salary for primo seats. And best of all, she was going to expose Scootaloo to one of the greatest rock artists Equestria has to offer.

Lying supine on a cloud-couch, Rainbow Dash headbangs away to the music, when she starts to hear a strange rapping noise.

That better not be a skip in the record! Irritated, Rainbow Dash flies over to the phonograph and stops the music … then perceives a heavy rapping coming from the front door. Oh … oops.

“Sorry, I’m coming!” she calls out as she quickly flutters to the door. Opening it, she’s surprised to see a familiar aged-looking pegasus. “DARING DO!!! What brings you to Clouds-”

Before Dash can finish, the elder-looking pony angrily shushes her and quickly trots in. “Close the door,” she whispers as she passes by. Dash complies, apprehensive at the adventurer’s demeanor.

“What’s going on? You seem a little frazzled.”

“Just trying to keep a low profile,” Daring Do replies in a softer tone. “I don’t think I was followed, but I can’t be too careful. Not now.”

A thought pops into Dash’s head. “Ohmygosh, are you on another adventure? Does that mean another book is coming out???” Her wide eyes and ear-to-ear grin force a smile out of her guest.

“I do have plans … but I need your help. Can I count on you?”

“Are you kidding? You better BELIEVE you can count on me!” Rainbow Dash begins doing aerial backward-somersaults in celebration.

“I knew I could count on you! Meet me at Ponyville Station tomorrow morning; we’re taking the noontime train to the Crystal Empire.”

Rainbow Dash suddenly falls to the ground in a heap, with Daring’s request hitting her like a bucket of ice water. “Tomorrow? But I already have plans for tomorrow!”

“Sorry, but time’s a factor and this task has to take place tomorrow night,” Daring Do coolly responds. “I only trust a hoofful of ponies in Equestria … and you’re number one among all of them.”

Dash gulps, and a slight twinge of resentment burns from within. “Can you at least tell me what’s so important about this adventure?”

Daring Do glances out a nearby window before drawing the blinds and turning back to her confidant. “Rainbow Dash, have you ever heard of the Chalice of Rhinyorgrun?”

“The Chalice of … what?”

“I can go into more details on the train ride tomorrow,” Daring assures, “but suffice to say, this is an artifact of particular interest to Dragonlord Ember.”

Ember?” Rainbow Dash’s thoughts turn to her experience with Twilight and Rarity as they infiltrated a meeting of young dragons to watch over their friend Spike. “What does Ember have to do with anything? Besides, Twilight told us that with Ember as the Dragonlord, we have no reason to fear the dragons.”

“I can reveal more to you tomorrow on the train. I must leave soon and make a few more arrangements … can I count on you to be on that train?”

Whatever this involves, it’s important enough to warrant my help. Rainbow sighs, then bows briefly before answering. “You can count on me. I’ll meet you at the station tomorrow morning.”

“Daring Do smiles. “Thank you, Rainbow Dash. If all goes well, all of Equestria will owe you a debt of gratitude … well, another debt, I suppose.”

Giving one final nod, Daring Do exits the premises and flies off, leaving Rainbow Dash to ponder how to break the news to Scootaloo.

Author's Note:

Anyone curious as to whatever became of the Metallicolt tickets can check out this fic.