• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 894 Views, 44 Comments

The Number 22 - Blazing Shadows



Twilight gets a book for her birthday that seems to know her past....and predict a horrible future.

  • ...
7
 44
 894

Chapter 21

Author's Note: I'm sorry about making the last chapter short. This one and the next ones will be longer. Keep on reading and reviewing.

Disclaimer: I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or The Number 23, the cool movie this story is based on.

THE NUMBER 22

Chapter 21

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222


February 10

Awaking the next morning, I was eager to start the day. Why?....Because, I knew where Laura's missing corpse was....and who wrote the book.

"How could I have been so stupid?! The answer's been right in front of me all along and I haven't even noticed!"

It had bothered me all last night. The demon and I were having some pretty deep conversations in my dreams....Or should they be called nightmares?

"You know it's the truth, Twilight."

"I can't believe it. She would never-"

"That's exactly your problem! You trust your friends too well! Remember what I told you: You've got to keep your friends close...and your enemies even closer."

"No, that's what you told Hoofling!"

"Are you any different from her?"

"....I guess you've got a point there..."

"Don't I always?"

I don't know if it was my mind or the demon thinking for me that morning, but, either way, I was ready to find out the truth.

SLAM!

"RARITY! WAKE UP! YOUR LITTLE GAME'S COME TO AN END!!"

I heard an upstairs door slowly open and then close. I saw her sleepily walk down the stairs, rubbing her eyes as she did.

"Ugh, Twilight, do you have any idea how early-"

"I DON'T CARE! WHAT I'VE GOT TO SAY IS A LOT MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR BEAUTY SLEEP!!"

That shook her completely awake, leaving her shaking as if she had just stepped in a cold shower.

"Wh-Whatever are you talking about, Twilight?"

"Oh, don't play dumb with me! I know you've got it..."

"Got what?"

"....Her corpse..."

Hearing this, she started sweating and glancing around nervously.

"....Oh-Oh, Twilight,...you know I'd never do...something like that..."

"TELL ME WHERE SHE IS!!"

She automatically ran out of the room. In a few moments, she came back levitating a long chest in the air with her magic. She set it down in front of me. She then took a seat in her chair, a look of defeat lingering on her face.

"Alright, Twi....You got me..."

"I knew it!!"

Using my magic, I opened the chest. Staring back at me was the decaying face of Laura Toffee.

"But,...how did you find out, Twilight?!"

"Oh, easy....The demon told me..."

Hearing this, her eyes opened wide.

"Wh-What else did it tell you?..."

"Well, it didn't really tell me much....We kind of debated...."

"But, on what?!"

"Oh, nothing....Just that YOU WROTE THE BOOK!!"

"....WHAT?!"

"That's what I said when he told me!...But it makes sense....I mean, you were the one who kidnapped me and took me to Doctor Whooves. You were the one who conviscated the book from me. You were the one who brought Orlando to my secret getaway. And, most recently, you were the one who took Laura's corpse from her secret grave before I could come back and get it.....It's all been part of your master plan. You've been trying to keep me away from stopping the curse all along!...But the only thing that doesn't make sense to me is.....why? Why would you do this to me? And how do you fit into the curse anyway?"

"...Twilight-"

"I DON'T WANT YOUR EXCUSES!! JUST TELL ME WHAT I WANT TO KNOW!!"

"ALRIGHT, FINE! YOU WANNA KNOW THE TRUTH?!!...."

She began to cry, tears streaming down her face. She tried to speak, but her throat was in a lump....She was dreading what she was about to tell me.....Finally, she managed to choke out what she was trying to say.

"....You wrote the book..."

My mind went blank,...as well as my face. I didn't know how to respond to that. In fact, at first, I thought she was joking with me....That's when I saw the horrified look on her face....She was telling the truth.

"......NO! NO, IT CAN'T BE!!"

"I....I'm so sorry, Twilight.....But,...it's true..."

"But,...how do you know?!"

"When I was with Doctor Whooves in the post office, he gave me his ID card.....That night, while you were at home,...I went to the abandoned asylum where he used to work....Once there, I discovered a secret cell underneath him and his brother's office. The number 22 was all over the walls....And, in the center of the cell,..I found a box....with your name on it..."

"What?! Why would my name be on that?! I've never been to that place in all my life!"

"Well,...inside of it,...I found the original copy of the story....written by you. It was done by typewriter....and it was made just a few years ago...."

I had absoulutely nothing to say. This was unreal,...but I couldn't argue with her. The look on her face was too real to be made up.

"....But,...there's more....Inside the box, there was also an ankle bracelet....It had the name "Laura Toffee" printed on it...."

This made no sense. Why would her ankle bracelet be in there....in my box?!

"Rarity,...if what you're telling me is true,...I don't think me putting Laura's body to rest is gonna solve anything...."

"I...I guess not...But, what we've got to do is find out when you wrote this...and why....But, Twilight, even if you being the author makes you some kind of psycho...or murderer,...I want you to know that you're still my friend....and me and the girls have got your back..."

Just then, the memories of the past week came flooding into my mind. From the start of the curse to now, they all crowded my thoughts.

"Twilight, what's wrong? You don't look so good."

"....I...I'm fine, Rarity....I just...I.....AAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!"

"TWILIGHT!"

It felt as though my head was on fire. All the thoughts were coming in and out of my mind too fast. The pain was so unbearable that I fell on my knees to the floor.

"MAKE IT STOP!!!"

"Twilight, calm dow-"

I swung my hoof at her, landing a punch right across her jaw.

"JUST...SHUT...UP!!!"

I ran out of the library as fast as I could and headed straight for the outskirts of Ponyville. I wanted to leave it all behind. I wanted to go back to the place I knew I'd be safe...The hotel....There was something significant about that place, I just knew it.....When I got to the outskirts, I didn't stop running. I wanted to get as far as I could before I had to stop and rest...All the while, my mind was spinning...So many thoughts were racing through my head.

"How is this possilbe?!"

"How can I be the one who wrote it?!"

".....Does that make me responsible for everyone's death?"

As these thoughts crossed my mind in so many ways, I decided to stop and take a break. I was exhausted from all the running,....but not enough to keep me from finishing the book.

Chapter 20
The Hidden Truth

I went back to Celestia's Park, eager to put my plan into action.

"This has got to work. It's just gotta!"

I made it back to her secret grave and began using my magic to lift the dirt out of the ground.

"This is so great. Once I put her to rest, I know I'll be able to-"

I stopped when I noticed it. I let the dirt I was levitating fall to the ground as I looked closer. Beside Laura's body was a box. Using my magic once again, I levitated it out of the ground. I was shocked by what it said.

"Twilight Sparkle?!"

Why did it have my name on it? Why was there even a box in Laura's grave with my name on it?! And, more importantly,...what was inside? I opened it as quickly as I could.....All that was in there was an ankle bracelet.....An ankle bracelet that read...."Laura Toffee."

"Wh-What's this doing in here? Why is my name on this box?! I need answers!"

"Isn't it obvious?"

That voice. It was all too familiar.....The demon was back.

"What do you mean? What's obvious?!"

"You've got a bigger part in this curse than you think."

"It seems so,....but what does this bracelet mean?!"

"All shall be revealed....soon..."

"WAIT!!"

But he left, just like last time. I was so angry, but, at the same time,...I was scared and confused. I started crying, not knowing what to do......Little did I know that, like he said, all would be revealed soon.

"That chapter was completely useless!!"

"Really? I thought it was rather good...Especially that demon. He's quite a clever character."

"OH, SHUT UP!! You're about as useless as he is!"

"Just keep reading.....and all shall be revealed. HA HA HA HA!"

As much as I wanted to scream at that moment, I shook off his taunting and did as he said.

Chapter 21
The Truth Hurts

What was I supposed to be waiting for?! I was ready to have all revealed to me! If only the curse would stop being so stubborn and just come right out and tell me!

"I'm ready!! Please, tell me what you know! I'm desperate!!"

But, it was no use. The curse wanted me to suffer....and I was....For what seemed like hours, I sat on the ground crying......Then, out of nowhere,....the demon came back.

"Aw, don't cry.....At least, not yet."

"Please....I'm begging you....Tell me what you know..."

"....The only way to end all of this and find out the truth....is to do the very thing you did to Orlando..."

"No!...There has to be another way!!"

"I'm sorry,....but I'm afraid there's not."

"You're screwing with my mind again, you bastard!!"

"Am I?! Or are you just too stubborn to try it?!"

"....I..."

"Don't play dumb with me, Twilight. You've known all along there's no way out....You've just been delaying your destiny..."

".....Where do you want me to go?..."

"Go to The Fancy Place hotel....I'll meet you there."

"Alright, this has to be meant for the both of us."

I went ahead and called a taxi. I wasn't gonna get to the hotel walking. It wasn't the same driver as last time, but he still had a look of worry on his face. I ignored him and waited until the ride was over. I payed him, not speaking a word, and went back into the hotel. The desk manager recognized me.

"Well, nice to see you back here."

"Is Room 22 vacant?"

"....Of course."

He gave me the key and I immediately headed up the stairs. Arriving at the room, I unlocked the door and went inside. I plopped down on the bed and continued to read.

He left me again. Not wanting to waste any time, I set out for it. It wasn't hard to find. I called Officer Bookworm and he got me the location. It was just on the other side of town. Once there, the demon came back.

"Alright, now I want you to check in. I assume you know which room."

I filled out the papers, got my room key for Number 22, and headed up the stairs to my room. Once there, I noticed the room had its own balcony......I knew then what I had to do....I walked out onto it, the wind rushing to greet me as I did. Looking down, I knew this was what the curse wanted....The demon said that all would be revealed if I did this.....But, how would it?

"Just trust me."

Should I?

Then it ended. I flipped through the rest of the pages, but they were blank....That was the end of the book.

"What?! This can't be! There's got to be more!.....WHERE IS IT?!!"


End of Chapter 21!


Author's Other Note: I think I made a mistake last chapter by saying that Hoofling killed both Orlando and Dr. Lori. Sorry if I did. If I didn't, then just ignore what I just said. Also, I'm thinking about cancelling my Elements franchise. I just don't think I'll be able to write the vision I had for it. But, that doesn't mean I'm done writing! For I have plenty more ideas....I just have to see how they go.

ALL SHALL BE REVEALED IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!


22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222