• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 893 Views, 44 Comments

The Number 22 - Blazing Shadows



Twilight gets a book for her birthday that seems to know her past....and predict a horrible future.

  • ...
7
 44
 893

Chapter 19

Author's Note: Don't forget to check out my story Twilight Sparkle: The First Element. That's about all I have to say now, so here's Chapter 19.


Disclaimer: I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or The Number 23, the cool movie this story is based on.

THE NUMBER 22

Chapter 19

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222


Stupid. That's what I though of myself. As soon as I got the curse, I should've thought to go straight to Princess Celestia. I mean, she is the ruler of all Equestria!....But, then I remembered that Celestia had once told me that neither she or her sister Luna had any control over life, death, or the supernatural...And this was definetley the supernatural!....But, still, I wish I could've gotten rid of it before it got too bad.....Before it took Doctor Whooves....and Zecora....and Rainbow.

"Oh, Rainbow Dash....."

My thoughts were still on her. Every day, I missed her even more. But I knew there was no bringing her back. She was gone....and I was just gonna have to except it.

"Go to Celestia's Park and you'll find your answer. I warn you, though, Twilight, death awaits you there. Go if you dare....And I do!"

I was headed for the Royal Palace, desperately wanting answers. My heart knew this was right,...but my mind told me different.

"What if this is just another wild goose chase? What if the curse is just trying to mess with me again? I mean, it's done it before."

"No! I've already devised a plan and I'm gonna stick to it!....Even if it kills me!"

Maybe I'd have been better off if it did......Once arriving at the Palace, I just had to find Celestia's Park....Then, I realized,...I had no idea what that was.

"Celestia's Park? I've never even heard of that! Princess Celestia has a garden and a labyrinth, but I've never heard her mention a park!"

Suddenly, I bumped into someone. My flank hit the ground hard going down. Since I was already tensed up, I was about to let the pony have it.

"Listen you, why don't you watch where you're going!"

"Sorry, my faithful student."

"I mean, really, you'd think you could see me! I mean, I was right in front of - Wait, what?!"

I looked up to see Princess Celestia! Of all ponies to run into, I was glad it was her.....And I just yelled at her.

"Oh, Princess Celestia, I'm so sorry! I didn't know it was you! I-"

She raised her hoof, signaling me to silence myself.

"It's quite alright, Twilight. I'm always happy to see you....Though, I do have one question: What are you doing here?"

I thought to myself: Should I tell her everything? I mean, what good would it do? She couldn't do anything to help me....Nopony could! But, still, I thought it would be good to tell her anyway. Maybe, if I did, she would direct me to the Park. So, after taking about twenty minutes to explain the whole thing, she was left in a state of shock.

"I can't believe this would happen....and to you, of all ponies, Twilight!"

"I know....and I've been going through absolute hell trying to make it through it."

"I was never even told about the deaths of Zecora, Doctor Whooves,...or Rainbow Dash."

Hearing this, tears began to swell up in my eyes. I knew Princess Celestia could see my crying, but I didn't care. I wanted to let these tears out....They'd been bothering me.

"....Oh, Twilight, I'm....I'm so sorry....If only I were able to do something..."

"No, Princess. It's not your fault. It's nopony's fault. I don't know of anypony who could've stopped it,....but, now, I think I'vefound a way."

"Really? What?"

"Well, a secret message the book directed me to told me to find Celestia's Park....Once I find it, I'll find my answer."

However, when I looked up at Celestia, expecting her to have something to say, she had a look of horror on her face. She seemed to be staring off into space.

"Um,...Princess? Are you okay?"

I seemed to snap her out of it. She finally focused her eyes on me,...but she was still in shock.

"Did you say "Celestia's Park?"

"Um,....yes, actually. I was kinda hoping you could shed some light on that."

Saying this, she shook her head, snapping out of shock. A serious look was now planted on her face.

".....Follow me."

As soon as she said that, she began walking away at a fast speed. Actually, this was the fastest I had ever seen her walk. I had to sprint to to catch up with her starting out. We went in the direction of the Palace Garden, eventually entering it. It didn't take us long before we finally stopped. However, there was no sign of a park of any kind.

"Um, Princess,...am I missing something? Cause I really don't see anything that-"

She once again put her hoof up to silence me. She still had that serious look on her face.

"Look closer...."

I glanced around the Garden. Nothing out of the ordinary.

"What does she want me to find? I'm not seeing anyth-"

Then, I saw it. It looked like a cellar door.....Though, there wasn't a building anywhere nearby. Could it be connected to some sort of undergroung tunnel?.....A mineshaft, maybe?

"This is a door that leads to the past.....A very horrific past..."

I didn't know what she meant by that, but I didn't have time to think about it. Using her magic, she broke the lock on the door and then pullled it open. A musty smell instantly filled the air around me.

"Man, nopony's probably been in there for years."

"Well, go on in."

Shocked by the sudden command, I was relunctant in doing so. It was very dark and didn't look so safe. But, seeing the seriousness on Celestia's face and not wanting to argue with her, I did as she said. I walked over to the door, noticing there were steps leading down.

"Go on, Twilight."

I began going down the stone steps. With every step, a cloud of dust rose up.

"I was right. This place is downright ancient!"

Then, I noticed something familiar about the steps. I couldn't place my hoof on it until I made it all the way down. Before me lied a tunnel, urging me to press on,...but I turned around to see if my thought were correct.

"20...21...22!"

There were 22 steps....I was definetley on the right track.

"Twilight, is something wrong?"

"Oh no, Princess!"

She then walked down the steps, soon standing right behind me.

"Well, then, don't stop now. Keep going."

I pressed on, curious to see what lied ahead. Soon, we came to a door. I tried it....Locked.

"Um, Princess,...do you have-"

"Yes. I got it."

Starting up a spell, she lowered her horn to the keyhole. I heard the locks unlock, as if a real key had been placed in it. After doing that, I pushed the door open.....and gasped at what I saw. The room looked just like somepony had taken a park, grass and all, and put it in this room. There was a swingset, a slide, and even a merry-go-round. I now knew that this was Celestia's Park.....But, I was still confused.

"But, this makes no sense. Why did you put a park inside a room and put the whole thing underground?!"

"....Because of the murder."

"Huh?"

"Remember the "Laura Toffee" you told me about?"

"Yeah."

"Well, her body isn't actually buried in the Ponyville Cemetary."

"Really? Then, where is it?!"

The serious look returned to her face and, not answering me, she walked forward. She stopped right by the swings and began using her magic. She pulled a large mound of dirt out of the ground and set it to the side. She then motioned for me to come over there. I did just that.

"Behold....the real tomb of Laura Toffee."

I looked down, not expecting to gag like I did. For there was Laura Toffee's badly-decayed corpse. Maggots were crawling through her eye sockets and into her mouth. Holes were all in her legs and neck. Plus, a family of rats had made a nest in her chest.

"Wh-Why is she down here?!"

"Her murderer decided to dispose of her secretly, so he decided to do it in my park."

"But,...I never knew you had a park."

"It was being developed when this happened. It was to be made in my honor for donating some of my royal proceedings to foal hospitals. However, when she was found here, the construction crew decided to quit the project. They left her here, though, allowing her to rot."

"But, why didn't you do anything about it?!"

"Because the ones who were building it were dragons, therefore, not in my jurisdiction. And it was during that whole "workers rights" campaigning, so it would've gotten me kicked off the throne.....They did, however, use some of their magic to bury this site, not wanting it to be messed with anymore, and placed their own magic lock on the door. However, after many years of leaving the spell to rust, it wasn't hard for me to bust it."

"So, basically, if you mess with it, you could lose your position as Princess?!"

"Pretty much. But, that's what happens when the world isn't in complete harmony."

This was pretty major. I didn't care what the Princess said....I was gonna get this known if it was the last thing I did.


End of Chapter 19!


Author's Other Note: (1. I know there wasn't a chapter from the book in here, but I'll be sure to put it in the next chapter. (2. I've put out two chapters this time, which is what I'll do next time as well. But, don't think that means the story'll be over just then! Don't worry, though, it's almost finished! (3. Don't forget to check out my story as mentioned above. (4. Remember: ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE REST OF THIS STORY!!


22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222