• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 1,954 Views, 22 Comments

Night Watch - Almasy

  • ...
2
 22
 1,954

Chapter 3

As the sun began to rise I hopped down from the roof and stretched.

"Almasy!?" I heard Twilight shout from behind me.

I turned to see her gasping for air.

"Uhhmm, are you alright Twi? You look like you saw a ghost or something."

She shook her head and laughed.

"We're going to put a bell around your neck. You're always so quiet... In fact…"

She ran back inside and came back out moments later with my shirt and armor...and then I heard a jingle.

"No, Twi…just no."

She shrugged and tossed me my clothes, I pulled the shirt over me and then felt something wrap around my neck.

"Did you just..." She just grinned. I tried pulling it off, even with vampiric strength it wouldn't budge.

"What's the deal with this thing!?"

"Fluttershy used it for a tiger she was caring for until it was healthy enough to leave." She looked over to me still trying to get the bell off.

"And it's been enchanted so whatever is wearing it can't take it off." She finished with a victorious smile.

I sighed. "You're taking this off of me eventually..." I finished getting my gear on and started to head off.

"Almasy, you're forgetting your sword!" I shrugged.

"I probably won't need it, just watch it for me would you?" She nodded.

"Oh and if any of you need me, I'll be around town, just shout."

I started walking towards the town square to meet Storm, but between every step… jingle, jingle.

"This is so embarrasing..." As I approached I saw Storm Blade waving me over.

"Well good morning, Almasy, how was your 'slumber party'?" He said in a mocking tone.

I sighed and he laughed.

"Hey...Shut up." I deadpanned and turned away. Jingle. 'Damn...'

"What was that?" Storm turned towards me and I saw his grin.

"Did they...put a bell on you?" His grin grew.

"Hey, drop it, okay?" I sighed.

"No way, kid, this is too good. Look they have a pet vampire, awwww!" He said loud enough for everyone in the square to turn to us.

I pushed him over with my foot and pinned him.

"Now, I'm going to take my foot off of you. In turn; You will ignore the bell." He nodded and I took my foot off of him. He still has that stupid grin on his face.

"Why not just take it off, Almasy?" He stifled a laugh.

"I...can't." Storm looked at me questioningly.

I sighed and shrugged. "It's enchanted, and it won't come off."

He chuckled and I glared at him. "Alright, alright, I'll stop."

He patted me on the back.

"Yeah...thanks, so what's on the schedule for today, Storm?" I looked over to see him shrug and yawn.

"Well, just a patrol, not too much to it, kid. It's a dull job but someone has to do it, know what I mean?" I nodded. 'Back to patrols, guess I should be thankful.'

We walked around Ponyville a good three times in silence before Storm decided to speak up.

"So there's something I've been wanting to ask you since last night, Kid."

We ended up stopping in the square and he took a seat on a bench next to the fountain, I propped a foot on the edge of the bench and folded my arms.

"Go ahead, Storm. I'll answer to the best of my ability."

Storm nodded and took a few breaths.

"How is it that you're so... accepting of what's happened to you? Coming here, leaving behind everyone you knew? Not to mention being changed into a vamp. You've also sacrificed a lot in your short time here." He looked at me intently.

I let my arms fall to my sides and kicked my foot off the bench.

"I don't feel like fighting whatever fate gives me. I learned that a long time ago."

He nodded and motioned for me to continue.

"I didn't really leave behind much. No real family, maybe a few close friends, but they'll forget about me eventually." I sighed.

"Being turned into this?" I opened my arms and scanned over myself. "I'd rather it have been me than anyone else, as you said I apparently kept my humanity and that's at least something good of it."

"But why do you say that, Almasy? Nopony else would have stayed to protect anypony if they were faced against something like that." Storm rubbed his neck.

"And here you are. Fighting for a place you've only spent a week and a few days in. And you even continue to do so after everything. You even accept your death at such an early time in stride."

I shrugged. "This is how I see it; If I can spend my life making sure at least one other being is able to carry out their own life peacefully, I'm happy. I just won't let someone get hurt if I can help it. I'd rather take a hit than someone else." I finished.

Storm shook his head. "And what about your death, kid?"

I shrugged. "I've accepted it."

Storm just stared at me and sighed. "You are some sort of angel sent here, that's for sure."

He turned to see me cracking up laughing. "Hey, shut up, Almasy..."

I shook my head still laughing. "Sorry, sorry, but that's hilarious. No, I'm nowhere near something like that."

Storm punched me in the arm. "Well fine then, it's time for lunch break. Why don't you go and grab something and we'll meet back here in an hour or so?" I scratched the back of my head and smiled.

"Oh yeah... my bad, kiddo."

I shrugged. "Eh, I guess I could go sit around for an hour, no problem." I nodded to him and he headed off into the other side of town. I decided to head back to Rarity's and grab my coat since I forgot it this morning.

As I turned around I came face-to-face with Twilight and Rarity.

I stopped and gave a smirk hoping they didn't hear anything. "Sup?" I asked plainly.

They looked towards me and smiled, whew.

"Twilight told me about the 'bell incident' this morning, so I've come with her to make sure she takes it off of you, darling. It seemed like such a mean trick." Rarity ended with a small glare towards Twilight, I clutched the bell on my neck.

"Know what... I think I might keep it." I ended with a smile getting some strange looks from them.

"But, you were so opposed to it this morning..." Twilight looked over to me and I shrugged.

"I'm sorta looking at it now as a gift. My first real gift since arriving here." I reached out and hugged Twilight, much to her shock... and my amusement.

"So thank you, Twilight, for my first gift."


"But what if it snags on something and chokes you, dear? I wouldn't want that or anything for that matter, to happen to you." I laughed and Rarity growled at me.

"No, calm down... I actually learned something last night." They both looked at me warily.

"I don't have to breathe. I just have to have air to talk. I sigh a lot, but that's just habit." I crossed my arms.

"Any other ways you want to try getting it from me now?"

Twilight shook her head. "No, but if you'll excuse me, I'd like to go do more research."

I nodded. "Just take it easy, I'm here for a while." She smiled at that.

"Well, Rarity that leaves you and I, you up for lunch?" I asked with a smile.

"Only if I get to pay my own way this time, Almasy." She said in a mock voice of anger.

"Hmm... I'll think about it." I smiled and she bumped me.

"I'm taking that as me paying."

Rarity sighed and smiled shaking her head.

"If you insist so greatly, why don't we go to the same place as yesterday?"

I nodded and we started off that way, not even that much small-talk.

Not too much longer after we arrived the same waiter as yesterday came and deposited two menus on the table. Rarity made up her mind on a 'Canterlot Special Salad' I chuckled at the name, and a glass of water.

When the waiter looked to me I just shook my head and handed the menu to him.

"I still feel terrible that you don't eat, Almasy. It must be horrible to not taste your favorite foods anymore." Rarity said after taking a bite of her salad.

I chuckled. "You reallllllly wouldn't approve of my old diet anyway, Rarity. Humans are predatory-omnivores." She looked up towards me with a grimace.

"And now here you are, socializing with an extremely dangerous predator."

Rarity started laughing at me and I groaned.

"What's so funny..."

She tried to regain some of her composure before speaking.

"I'm sorry dear, it's just that you don't give off that feeling of fear and dread a normal predator would. So it's rather hard seeing you as one. Not to mention ever since you arrived in the town even everypony else is starting to relax more. If you ask me you put off a very docile and kind presence."

I shrugged and sighed. Just then Twilight came into view and trotted towards us.

I waved her over to the table and she took a seat. "Order whatever you'd like, Twilight. It's on me." I finished with a smile and waved the waiter over. Twilight ended up getting the same sandwich as yesterday and a glass of juice.

Twilight tapped me on the shoulder. "Well, Almasy I've got good news, or bad depending on how you look at it." I motioned for her to continue.

"Well... Since you're a Vampony now... You don't have a life-span."

I shrugged. "And that means?"

"It means! You will live forever." She gulped. "...Unless you're killed..." She looked down.

"Well...that's horrible news." They both looked at me perplexed.

"What? I would hate to live forever. It seems... boring."

Twilight looked over to me. "Is that all? Think of all you could do in such a large span of time.

Is that the only reason you have to dread it?"

I shook my head. "Nope. But that's all I'm saying for now."

Twilight snapped out of her small trance before shaking her head.

"Oh, here Almasy, the Princesses sent you a letter. It's sealed with magic so only you could open it, I thought it might have been important." She handed me a small rolled scroll tied with a ribbon.

I looked it over once before snapping the seal off of it and began reading.


Almasy, URGENT. 'Well. we're off to a great start already...'

There's something in the Everfree giving off waves of dark power.

While we would hate to send you alone, we must. Keep a calm face and resume reading...

We need you to scout the Everfree and see if you can find this entity. If it proves too much for you to handle, do not engage it and run. It only seems to be active at night.

Prepare as best you can. If you do decide to engage and we do not hear from you, a scouting party of our Elite Royal Guards will be sent into the forest at daybreak to search for you.

Please take this to heart Almasy, we don't wish for anything bad to become of you so take great caution.

Do NOT let the girls know where you are going.

We wish you luck, Almasy.

-Princesses Luna and Celestia.

I folded up the letter and ripped it to shreds in front of the girls.

"What's happening Almasy? Is there anything we can do to help you?" Twilight looked at me worried. I smiled and shook my head.

"Nothing to worry about girls. I promise." I smiled and they looked to eachother.

"Darling, if something's wrong you can tell us. What did the letter say?" Rarity looked to me like she was trying to crack a safe.

"Just a mission I have to go on, no big deal. Just a patrol." I nodded.

They started to eat again, slowly. "If you say so, Almasy. Patrol or not, please be careful."

I laughed. "You forget how durable I am. Even before I was changed I was already hard to kill. Trust me this will be easy enough."

I rested my arms on the table and folded my hands to underneath my chin letting them eat and converse through the rest of their meal. When the bills came I once again grabbed the bills from the both of them and went to pay.

"Well, looks like you're becoming a regular here, sir." The mare at the register said with a smile. "And it's going to come up to thirty bits." I smiled and handed over the bits.

"I hope you have another great day, Almasy."

I nodded. "You too ma'am." She smiled and I walked back to the girls.

"Well, my break is over, I'm gonna go meet back up with Storm at the square. I hope I see you both tomorrow." I set ten bits down on the table and started to turn away.

"What do you mean 'hope'? I thought you were going on a patrol."

I thought for a second.

"Patrols can last a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if it took three or four."

I smiled. "Back to the boredom."

"OH! Before I forget dear.." Rarity rummaged through one of her saddlebags and pulled out my coat. "I went ahead and mended it... I also added a few more details, I hope you like it."

I looked over the coat to see where the upper arms were embroidered to my tattoos, each corresponding to the side, coloration was even spot on.

"Wow, thank you Rarity, it looks well... amazing!"

I slipped the coat on and rotated my arms.

"Perfect fit too." I smiled and Rarity beamed at me.

"Well darling, I try. And I'm giving you a discount." I looked at her coldly.

"Free, it's a gift!" I sighed.

"And there's no way to change my mind, darling."

"If you say so…" I thanked her once more before turning away.

"Oh... and girls?" They both looked over to me.

"Stay safe." They nodded as they went back to their homes.

I started off towards the town square and saw Storm sitting by the fountain, he looked towards me with pure dread in his face.

"Hey, bud. What's got you looking so... grim?"

Storm simply looked up at me and deadpanned.

"I'm sorry kid, they won't let me or anypony else go with you on your mission tonight."

I shrugged and he sighed.

"It's unusual for something the Princess would do, either of them."

I patted his shoulder and he shrugged me off.

"Maybe they'd rather send me since I'm durable. If you think about it, since I'm not a pony if I well... 'fail my duty' it wouldn't be directed towards pony-kind."

I cracked my knuckles. "Understand?"

He nodded. "Even though I'd rather not see you fail, kid." He shuddered.

"Even though we haven't known you for very long, you're still in our forces, you're one of us. At least that's how I see it."

"Will you cheer up? You act like I didn't do this all the time back where I'm from." He looked towards me stunned.

"I was in a Special Forces unit, we did solo recon and enemy diversions all the time. What you saw the other day was a cake-walk." I nodded.

"So like I said, just relax would you? And IF something does happen to me. Well, I dunno your usual customs, but noone's allowed to be sad. I better look down on you and see you all having a huge party."

Storm laughed and looked up at me. "No promises, but I'll do what I can kiddo."

I glared at him. "Riiiight, Almasy. So touchy!" We shared a laugh and got back to our patrols around the town.

"So is it always this quiet around here Storm?" I asked him maybe an hour later.

He laughed. "Kid, everywhere is this quiet. But when something does happen it's usually big.

Kind of why I'm worried about you leaving tonight."

"Yeah, remind me to leave my armor." He looked at me like I was an idiot.

"You know, it has Celestia's seal on it. I'd rather not have anything pointing to you."

"You're awfully collected, Almasy." Storm gave a guffaw.

"Looking at how you can have your little bouts of fun and be carefree, you sure can change in a flash."

I smiled. "It comes with being, well. Me. I'll play around. You'd probably think I'm an actual kid if you saw half of the stuff I do. But I can be seriously calm, cool, and collected. Well, when it's required."

He slapped his hoof on my back and smiled. "Good. What you see with me is what you get. I'm always sarcastic but professional. I think it works for me."

"Well, it got you this job, a wife and two kids. Not to mention your own home, I think you rocked it." I ended laughing.

We resumed walking around the town until the sun started to set behind the mountain.

"Well kid, looks like another day down. I know yours isn't over yet but it's time for me to clock out." He looked over to me.

"Don't get dead, kid. I WILL see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course. G'night buddy." I smiled and waved as he walked back home.

I walked through the town getting a nod and smile from everypony I passed on the way back to Rarity's place. I felt more welcome here than... My own hometown. Kinda sad.

As I got to the door I knocked only to hear Rarity's chime answer.

"I'm sorry, but we're closed now. But do please come back tomorro..." She stopped as she saw it was me.

"Oh, I'm sorry Almasy. I didn't know it was you, come in dear."

I walked in and hung my coat on the rack.

"I hope you don't mind me leaving a few things here while I'm out, would you?"

She shook her head.

"You can place them in my sisters’ room over to the left. Is there anything you'd like before you set off, dear?" She ended with a warm smile.

I shook my head and smiled. "Thanks but I think I'll be set. Just gotta grab some medicine from the hospital for the trip."

I walked into the room, the light was already on. I stripped off the armor and set it neatly in the corner of the room before looking down at my old clothes. 'At least they're comfortable.'

I walked back of the room to see Rarity at the dinner table enjoying her supper, looked like another salad.

"Oh, hello Almasy... Why no armor, I thought you were about to be leaving."

I nodded. "It's a lot of walking, rather not have the armor weighing me down."

She smiled. "I suppose that's agreeable. Your sword is leaning on the couch from this morning."

I walked over to my coat and slid it on slowly and strapped the sword to my back with a sigh.

"What's the matter, Almasy? Your usual demeanor is... well, lacking."

I shrugged. "Nothing, I'm okay." I walked to the door and twisted the handle to feel a tug at my coat.

"Yes, Rarity?" She looked in my eyes and sighed.

"Nothing, just take care of yourself, Almasy." I smiled and nodded.

"Of course, Rarity. Nothing to worry about."

I opened the door and took a step out.

"Be sure to lock up after I leave. Alright?" She nodded and I closed the door and heard the lock click behind me.

I looked through the town as I passed through. Lights on here and there a few other ponies heading home or to a bar. It was quiet and peaceful.

I stopped by the hospital and walked to the front desk.

"Umm, excuse me ma'am?"

The mare looked up to me and didn't even flinch.

"I'm Almasy, and well... I was wondering if.."

She smiled.

"If you could get a pouch or two of blood, correct?" I nodded slowly.

"Of course, sir. Just wait right here." She got up and walked to the door behind the desk.

'Well… that was easy...' She returned a few moments later with a satchel and passed it over the desk.

"There's three pouches in there. And don't worry about money. The Princess told us to provide you with a supply whenever you might need it."

"Thank you Miss..."

"Redheart." She finally said.

"Well, thank you Redheart. I truly appreciate it."

She smiled. "No, don't thank me. You're the one who finally got those corrupted guards out of our manes. Nopony was ever brave enough to put a hoof down."

I shrugged. "It's what I do. If it ever happens again you can always request me to come around and help out with it." I tied the satchel across three of my belt-loops and extended my hand.

Nurse Redheart put her hoof in and shook it gingerly.

"Until next time, Nurse Redheart."

She smiled. "Take care, Almasy."

I walked out of the door and pulled the older bag of blood out of my coat and gave it a shake before starting to drink it. 'Bleh... it's apparently better if it's fresh.' I forced down the rest of it and tossed it in a garbage can.

'Guess you can put something off for only so long.' I unsheathed my sword and looked over it quickly, the blue text changed to red and glowed vibrantly. 'Hmm..' I put it back on my back and looked down the road that led to the Everfree.

The sun had set and my vision just adjusted. 'At least this will help me out in there. Sometimes this curse is actually a pretty nice gift.'

I stretched and walked down the road, noone was around. Guess it wasn't hard to figure out why. I started humming to myself.

My hair started to stand on end and I took a look around... nothing. 'Now I can see why this place is dreaded, it puts you on edge. Especially at night.' I ran my hand through my hair and cracked my neck rubbing it slightly.

As I walked down the path through the forest the moonlight was cut off by the trees and my eyes adjusted once more so I could see in total darkness.

The darkness started to become... unnatural as I proceeded down the trail. My instincts screamed at me to get off the path so I started maneuvering tree to tree checking everywhere before progressing forward. 'This is rediculous, even with augmented vision this is starting to get clouded...'

Just then I heard a familiar snap and crouched behind a tree. I focused my eyes the best I could to make out the silhouette of... Luna? Why is she in armor.. Did she think I couldn't handle this by myself? And why the Hell would she be here anyway?


I shook the questions out of my mind and stood up slowly.

"Why are you out here, Princess? Didn't think I could handle it?" As she turned to me I noticed it wasn't Luna.

"Wait...who are you?"

She laughed and I saw a plume of dark light envelope her.

"You had it right the first time, Creature. I am the Princess: Nightmare Moon."

She ended in a flourish.

I scratched my neck. "Sorry, never heard of you... Your Majesty." She scoffed.

"That would explain why you're not running in fear of me, boy." She approached me and my vision began to un-cloud so I could see her features. The most striking thing to me were her teal cat-like eyes.

"You are gazing at a glorious being who could destroy you in an instant! I have taken hold of this planet more than once in my centuries of existence." She flashed a grin.

"Now leave this forest so that I may begin my exploits upon this land."

I shrugged and smiled. "Sorry, but I don't think I can do that, Princess." She looked stunned for a moment before I saw rage flash in her eyes.

"Such... INSOLANCE! Begone now!" She casted a bolt of magic at me and I side-stepped to avoid it. "How did thou dodge that? Unnatural. You will not leave this place." She charged another and took another shot at me.

I drew my sword and cut the beam deflecting it into a nearby tree.

"Temper now..." I smirked and she became enraged.

She braced herself and charged another blast, much larger than the last. As she blasted it towards me I brought up my sword once again to block it. As the blast connected my sword started to splinter and I dragged the blast away with a grunt.

"You cannot win, Creature. Better, MUCH better than you have tried." She charged me using her own horn as a sword.

I connected my sword with her horn as she came in to try to stab me, my blade shattered but I was able to direct her away from me.

She looked at me and began to laugh. "Not so confident now that your weapon has been destroyed, are you creature?"

I tossed the splintered remains of my sword over my shoulder and shrugged.

"Weapon or not. You won't get rid of me that easily." I flexed my hands and stood slightly slouched relaxing all the muscles of my body.

"Ready when you are."

She slashed and stabbed at me with her horn frantically as I dodged.

"Stand still!" She roared and stabbed my chest through. I gasped and grabbed the base of her horn ripping it out of me.

"How are you still standing!? You should be dead now!" She glared at me as I backed into a tree and slumped down.

'Damn, I think she punctured a lung… fractured two ribs.' I groaned. 'maybe three..'

I shook my head and smiled.

"I told you... weapon or not, I'm very hard to kill."

She loomed over me and I grabbed her neck and threw her away from me.

I noticed my wound wasn't closing. At all. 'What the…' I heard her laugh.

"I knew you were a vampony from the beginning, your eyes were a dead give-away."

She smiled triumphantly.

"I simply used my magic to seal your healing abilities."

I stood up shakily and put a hand over my wound, blood was pouring out of it.

"So don't get stabbed again… I think I can manage that." I grinned and she grabbed me with her magic.

"That will be the least of your problems, Creature." She said with a smirk as her magic began to cut me all over like invisible blades of air.

"There are four ways to destroy a vampony. Sunlight, fire, decapitation." She began making the magic cut deeper. "Or ripping into them faster than they can heal. I find this way to be the most entertaining."

She continued her assault slicing into me deeper every time.

I glowered at her and ripped free of the hold. I tossed my now mostly shredded coat off to the side and pulled out the now useless pouched of blood that made another puddle next to my own blood.

"You're even sicker than I am." I smirked. "And stop calling me 'Creature' I have a name you'd do to remember well." She looked at me and nodded. "Almasy. Plain and simple."

She nodded, at least she had some manners.

"I'll be sure to engrave that on your tomb, Almasy." She grinned evilly and shot another bolt at me. I flicked it away with my hand and she looked at me stunned.

I slumped to my knees. "You haven't won yet..." I gritted my teeth and got back to my feet. I tried my hardest to close my wounds and they began to heal slowly, at least the blood had stopped draining from me.

"Stop being so stubborn, boy!" She shot at me again with another beam, I just dropped back to the ground and it missed. She growled.

"That's not in my nature... sorry." I pushed myself back to my feet quickly only for her to kick me back into another tree and pinned me.

She raised her horn and tried to impale me through the neck. She pulled back and I saw some blood trickle from her horn. I felt a shallow scrape followed by the jingle of a bell. I looked down to see the collar it was on took most of the impact and fell to the ground, I smiled. 'Glad I kept that...'

She reared back again. "Die!" Before she connected I lurched forward and my fangs ripped into her neck, I began to drink as fast as I could. She began to get dazed and I took the opportunity to dig my hand into her shoulder and grasped her horn.

Before I could get a little more than half of her blood, she snapped out of the trance and jumped back, collapsing onto her back legs breathing heavily. I looked down to see all but the first impalement wound to be closed.

I looked over to her staring at me with fear in her eyes.

"You've lost half of your blood to me. You shouldn't be conscious."

I walked towards her slowly.

She laughed and panted in between.

"Even if you kill me, I am but a FRAGMENT of the true Nightmare Moon. You won't be able to destroy us all. Especially if you had this much trouble with a mere fragment such as myself. Boy!" She spat the last part.

I stopped. "A fragment... How many are there." I walked slightly closer.

"Start talking."

She grinned. "One for every phase of the moon, dear boy. I am of the Waxing Crescent." She struggled for breath. "Therefore. The weakest of the group." She spat at me and leapt at me attempting to skewer me again.

I put out my hand and let it go through twisting her away. I grunted and she laughed again.

"You won't be killing me any more easier though, boy..." She charged another blast and it connected with my chest.

I spat blood and shook my head. "Damn that hurt!" She charged me and slung a hoof towards me, I deflected it away just to have another connect with my cheek. I grinned.

"So you're not going down easily, huh?" I panted and clutched my wounds. "Then neither am I..."

She simply smiled and took another thrust at me with her horn and I batted it away slamming my fist into her shoulder
.

"I'm glad. It would be such a shame to destroy a vampony so easily." She finished with a growl and sent another blast of magic at me.

I rolled to the side dodging it slightly and smirked. "You keep that up and you'll run out of those gasses in your head if you keep this up, Princess."

"Such... ARROGANCE!" She yelled as she trudged towards me using her horn as a joust. I felt my hand lock into a claw and swiped as she passed me. I felt the skin rip at the tips of my fingers.


She looked at the four claw-marks trailing down her side and growled.

"Just remember, I'm but a fragment." She collapsed and tried to blast me with a volley of magical blades, I kept walking towards her getting sliced here and there.

"Do NOT underestimate me, child." She started charging another blast but I grabbed her horn and she flailed wildly at me discharging the blast into the air.

I growled, before I knew it she had tackled me to the ground.

"And this is where I'm supposed to swear my undying hatred to you, right?" I grinned as she slammed her hoof into my chest and blasted me with another bolt.

"No, this is where you're supposed to die in a feeble manner." She rammed her horn through the same spot as the first wound, I yelled out in pain before I threw her off of me.

As she attempted to ram into me again. I ducked down and turned my hand so my new-found claws sank deep into her chest, I felt her heart beating mere inches from the tips of my fingers so I shoved deeper until I felt more blood rush from the wound and heard Nightmare gasp.

She withdrew her horn from my shoulder and looked down to see the blood pour from her chest. "You...you.." She trailed off.

Before she could die I pressed into the wound with my hand to stall the bleeding.

"Talk. You were the weakest?" I tried to press as much as I could before she bled out.

"Yes. If you had this much trouble defeating me. I'd hate to know that you're the only one they sent..."

I glared before she continued.

"The Princesses either sent you to your death... Or are not even trying anymore."

She layed her head down and stopped talking, blood rolling from her mouth and wound.

Nightmare still had a pulse so I knew she wasn't dead.

"Did I say stop talking 'Princess'? Tell me everything." She laughed and choked some blood up.

"Fine, before I die... a parting gift!" Before I knew it everything went black and we appeared somewhere far deeper in the forest.

She took the opportunity of my shock to blast me with another wave of magic blades and I dropped to my knees.

"And your... healing... won't work... I hope you enjoy... the new grave you will have."

As she finished that she started to fade away into a cloud of blue smoke.

I checked over myself and fell onto my back. 'Great... bleeding out again. My shirt has been reduced to rags. At least my pants are somewhat unscathed…' I tried to push myself back up but lost balance and fell right back down.

I sighed and ran my hand through my now blood-matted hair. "And I don't even have a cigarette this time..." I looked around and spotted some old ruins not but fifty meters away.

I chuckled to myself and coughed up some blood. "I guess this is what she meant by my new grave...At least it's nice." I rolled over on my stomach and started to drag myself to the ruins.

After a good few minutes of dragging myself I felt the coolness of the stone and smiled slightly. 'Good thing I made it in before the sun came up.' I dragged myself to the doorway and propped up against it. My vision was slowly turning black. I shook my head closing my eyes. 'If I die... at least I can try to do it with a smile on my face.' I groaned and set my hands behind my head and crossed my legs. I felt extremely exhausted.

I smiled to myself and sighed. 'Maybe after a quick nap...'

==============================================================================

----------------Two Days Later---------------------------------------------------------------------------

==========Perspective, Storm Blade==============================================

"What do you mean you haven't found the kid yet!?" I yelled to the scouting party.

"We're sorry, Captain Storm. But if he went in he went quite a long way. We didn't even find any evidence pointing to him." The leader of the scouting group looked to me with panic in his eyes.

"And how far in did you go?" I slammed my hoof on the granite floor. He mumbled.

"Louder!" I bellowed.

"Not far, sir!" I shook my head and dismissed the group.

"C'mon kid, where are you?" I said to nopony in particular.

"That does it."

I began to gallop to the throne room from the guard quarters, nopony questioned my haste.

I rounded corner after corner barreling down each hallway, this felt like one of the longest trips to the throne room other than when my wife was with foal. I soon rounded the last corner and saw the doors to the throne room.

The guards immediately opened the doors for me to be let by and I approached Princess Celestia. I bowed.

"Rise Storm Blade. I know how troubled you must be." She smiled softly and I shook my head.

"Princess, please allow me to form my own search party and look for Almasy, the ones that were sent did not even got past the tree-line to search for him!" I gasped for breath as I ended.


"I will allow this Storm Blade. Please calm down. I know how you must feel. But you should also know that whatever was giving off those waves of dark power has also ceased." Celestia stated in a still calm state.

"Thank you Princess, and that is good news as well. Are you able to pick up anything of Almasy?" I sighed in relief that the entity was no more.

Celestia shook her head sadly. "I'm sorry my little pony, but I cannot detect any sign of him. He is a being I was never accustomed to, so I couldn't even sense him in the same room as myself." She said glumly.

I nodded slowly and she set her hoof on my shoulder. "Do not worry, Captain. Almasy seems to be able to take care of himself. I am positive he'll turn up." She gave a serene smile.

"I hope so, Princess." She put her hoof down and nodded.

"I'm going to need two other guards who will not cower from entering the forest, Highness."

She nodded to two of her personal guards.

"These are my own guards who have entered the forest many times. I grant them to you in your search." The other guards nodded, not saying a word.

"Thank you Princess. We'll set off at once." She nodded and I began to exit the throne room with the guards assigned in tow.

It took until mid-morning to even reach Ponyville, I growled at myself for being so slow.

"Please calm down, Sir." One of Celestia's guards spoke up, finally.

He nodded. "I'm sure we'll find something pointing us to the boy in the forest."

The other guard spoke up at this point. "And we'll actually be going INSIDE of the forest this time. I still can't believe our own scouting parties refuse to enter the Everfree." He scoffed.

We walked calmly, or as calmly as I could manage through town to the approach of the Everfree Forest. I looked to the ground and saw Almasy's unique hoof-prints fading slowly in the dirt.

"It looks like he went this way, let's keep going boys." I nodded to the guards on either side of me to get one in return.

As we entered the forest the prints he left looked deeper, probably due to how subtle the wind has blown lately. We kept following them until they left the path and jutted tree to tree.

"We should be getting close to where he must have seen something." We picked up our pace following the prints until it lead to a more open area, the sunlight blinded us momentarily until we saw... it.

It looked as though there was a major fight here. Tree branches were torn off; there were even huge craters in the trunks. There was a huge puddle of blood to accompany the spatters of it all around. And then I saw something lying on top of a bush, it was Almasy's coat, torn and matted in... blood.

"Oh no… Kid." One of the other guards approached me and pointed to a tree, The hilt of his sword was stuck in the base, it had been shattered. I scanned along the ground as I walked towards it and I heard a slightly metallic chime. The bell that was around his neck looked like it was shredded off, a small amount of dried blood rested on it.

"Sir. I don't think..." He trailed off.

I shook my head. "Help me gather his belongings…" They both nodded and hoofed me his coat, what remained of his sword, and finally the bell. I set them in my saddle bags.

It was a long trip back to Ponyville. I knew there was something I had to do.

As we approached the border to the town I looked to the guards.

"You go on back to the Princess, there's something I have to do here."

They nodded and each patted my back as they walked towards the trail to Canterlot.

I sighed. 'This... is something I'm not looking forward to.'

I walked towards where Almasy had stayed for the few days since we arrived.

Rarity's Boutique.

I knocked on the door and heard Miss Rarity's usual chime.

"Come in, darling, the door is opened."

I took a deep breath and opened the door slowly to see Miss Rarity standing in the main room's floor.

"Is anypony else here, Miss Rarity?" She shook her head.

"You may want to have a seat ma'am..." I felt the emotions escape from my voice.

She took a seat and smiled at me.

"What is it you need, Sir?"

I shook my head, and produced the items from my saddle-bags, she gasped.

"I'm very sorry, Miss. But this was all we found. Since you were his caretaker at the time, I thought you should keep his belongings." She looked over the coat and hung her head.

"Should I tell the other Elements, or would you like to?"

"I shall tell them myself. If you'll excuse me." She took the coat and bell and walked upstairs.

I put the remains of the sword back into my saddle-bag before leaving, voicing a small apology she couldn't hear as the door closed with a small creak.

On the walk back to the castle all I could do was yell at myself in my head. How could I not have helped him? Why didn't we send sompony else to help him? Why am I even talking about him in the past-tense. From our first conversation when he got to his room he said he'd hate being talked about like he wasn't even there.

Before I knew it I had reached the gates to the city. They were immediately lifted as I approached and walked through.

I walked through the crowds, as they parted I thought if this is what Almasy felt being here the first time. I chuckled to myself lightly.' Even though he was held at spear-point.'

I must have dripped gloom by how everypony simply moved out of my way as I walked towards the castle. I shook my head and sighed, looking to the steps leading to the gate I saw the two guards that had come with me into the forest.

"Captain Storm... We have already informed the Princesses of the... discovery." He nodded and motioned for me to follow.

We arrived in the throne room after a long and quiet walk. Princess Celestia met us halfway down the aisle.

"Do not bow, this is not formal." The guards and I nodded and kept to her wishes.

"I am sorry... There will be a service for him in Ponyville tomorrow at dusk." Celestia looked towards us with sorrow in her eyes.

"Why at dusk, Princess?" I asked lowly.

Celestia's lips tugged to strain a smile. "Everypony is as the Sun, Storm Blade. The dawn is birth, morning is the early years. The strike of noon is beginning adulthood, and as the evening progresses... the sun must eventually set." She batted her eyes and held back a tear.

"As with life." She sighed.

"I understand, Princess." I bowed and she nodded.

"Even though I have lived for a few thousand years. Only a few deaths have ever been truly apparent to me. I know my little ones may pass, but the years are always set far apart."

Celestia began and took in a deep breath.

"I however cannot get used to seeing death."

"I don't think anypony can, Princess Celestia." I shook my head and forced a small laugh.

"Well, anypony besides Almasy." That got a rather dry smile from everypony. At least it was something.

Princess Celestia met my gaze again. "I have already sent notice to the Elements of Harmony, they will all be attending. And since you seemingly knew him the most, we ask that you give a speech, Storm Blade." All I could do was nod.

"We were able to make a small tribute to him also. Do you think it would be... tasteful?"

I looked behind her to see a small crystal statue; nothing too decorative other than it was a few hooves tall and rounded into a small point. And then I saw the engraved plaque.

'Dedicated to Almasy.

A new being into this world, he still sacrificed all for a land he seemingly loved.

A brave Human, a loyal guard.

A Heart of Sacrifice.'

My eyes scanned to the middle of the plaque to see the marks he had on either side of his coat. A stunning phoenix was imprinted and inlayed with jewels to contrast the coloring; a mix of fire and ice.

I nodded. "It seems fit for any member of royalty to have, Princess. But why would you do something like this for a commoner?"

She looked to me with her ever-present calm smile.

"It just felt right." I nodded and she placed her hoof on my back leaving it for a few moments before taking it back.

"Please get some rest, Captain. It's going to be a long day tomorrow."

I sighed and nodded trudging back to the guard quarters glancing towards the door to Almasy's room. 'Guess it's going to go back to an old unused room now... not that he slept much.' I laughed under my breath and soon came to my own room.

I opened the door and took a glance around my room before stripping off my armor and glanced to the Equestrian Banner hanging on the wall and sighed. "'It's going to be a long day tomorrow' is right." I crawled into my bed and sighed once more. "I'm not even sure of what to say.." Sleep eventually grasped me and pulled me into its depths.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up and ran a hoof over my face recalling yesterday’s events and sighed heavily.

"Well, no use putting everything off…"

I slumped out of my bed and stuck the helmet on my head and laughed.

'I know the kid just didn't want something to cover his mane, but I at least let him off with his lame excuse.'

I donned the rest of my armor and walked out of my room to meet one of Celestia's guards outside.

"Please follow me Captain Storm. The Princesses have already started off to Ponyville."

"Alright, let us be on our way, unless I have anything special I must be doing?" They shook their heads and we began walking out of the castle.

It was strange to see the castle this empty, the only thing that could be heard through the hallways were our own armor clanging and our steps on the stone floor.

Only a few guards, who were posted here and there to keep anypony out that might try to gain access to the more sensitive areas of the castle, remained.

As we left the castles’ gate to look upon Canterlot, there was the usual traffic. I suppose it's because Almasy never decided to go out and mingle despite my attempts to drag him to the bar during his training. We walked until we hit the cutting point that had the path to Ponyville.

The usual travelling merchants and stock company caravans were seen heading up and down the trail as well. Still nopony in our group talked.

It was nearly mid-day before we reached Ponyville, I didn't think we had walked this slowly.

"Captain, the services will be held in the Square, right next to the fountain." I nodded.

"Thank you. I suppose I'll just head over to the site and wait." I shook my head and let out a louder than expected sigh.

I looked over to the square to see everything had been set up, there was a small stage lined with black flowers. Off to the side in front of the fountain was a cloth draped over what I guess would be the statue Princess Celestia had shown me earlier.

Most of the residents of Ponyville had already gathered and were standing around chatting lowly to themselves. If you listened well enough you could hear small things that the kid had done for them. Up in the front row were the Elements so I trotted out in front of them.

"How are you girls holding up?" I asked as sincerely as I could, all I got were a few shakes of their head and a choking sob. I nodded slowly.

"This isn't easy to accept, I know."

"But, Storm Blade... How could this have happened from a patrol? I thought those were just a lot of walking." Twilight said slowly.

I shook my head. "Where did you hear that, Miss Twilight? No, he was in fact on a very important mission. It was an urgent request from the Princesses. Both of them."

She hung her head. "So... He lied to us?" 'Oops...' "He lied to us about going on a simple patrol. When it was something far more dangerous?" All I could do was nod.

"He was only trying to look out for everypony. Knowing Almasy, he just didn't want to see anypony get hurt on his account." I nodded and I heard a sigh.

"That may be the case, dear. But he still should have told us. If we had known we would have tried spending more time with him before he left." Rarity took in another shaking breath. "And now we'll never see him again…"

The rest of the girls stared at the ground and I sighed. 'Look what you did now, kid.' I kicked myself mentally. 'Look what we all did...'. I heard his voice tell me to shut up in my head.

Also a crack or two at me failing to keep everyone happy.

I cracked a small smile. 'Yep. Sounds like him.' I looked up to the sky to see it was nearly mid-afternoon. 'Wow, time is flying by today. Could it be the Princesses plan?'

Twilight spoke up. "Princess Celestia decided to make the day shorter today. They're only going fast enough to speed up the day a little without making it dangerous." I nodded.

"Well, that explains a lot." I sighed.

"I'm sorry for not giving you the warning about it, Captain." I turned to see both of the Princesses were standing there, I began to bow. "No, this is a day where everypony is an equal to see off a fine warrior."

"Princess, why didn't Almasy tell us where he was going? He just said he was going on a patrol." Twilight approached Celestia slowly with her head still low.

Celestia glanced over the other Elements before returning to Twilight.

"Yes, my little one. I told him not to tell anypony about the real reason he was leaving. I am the one to blame for him keeping it a secret." Celestia nuzzled her and everypony in ear-shot nodded.

"We would also like to apologize for the events that have happened." Luna stepped forward and offered a consoling smile.

Princess Celestia nodded to Luna. "Everypony seems to be here, let us bring dusk that we can begin, sister." As they nodded to eachother both of their horns began to glow and the sky began to darken.

The Princesses soon took their places on the small stage that was provided.

Celestia began.

"Everypony. Thank you for coming for our event of seeing off the young Almasy." She took a breath.

"I know he wasn't a pony. He was however a loyal guard, even in his short time here.

I know this is not much, but we decided to have a memorial service for him."

She nodded to Luna who stepped forward.

"We would all like everypony to see that he was a very honorable young man."

Together the Princesses removed the cover to reveal the small statue.

"And we hope this will serve as a small memory of Almasy."

They then nodded for me to get on the stage. 'I still don't know what to say, I guess I can just wing it...' A smile broke across my face as I walked up the steps. 'He doesn't mind, I'm sure.'

As I reached the podium I cleared my throat and looked over everypony.

"I am Captain Storm Blade. I knew Almasy ever since he got to our lands." I cracked a smile.

"Granted our initial meeting was him facing my own squads’ spears. He soon became a member of our Royal Guard." I nodded and took a deep breath.

I smiled. "He was the only one to ever put me through the wringer, might I add."

I looked over the crowd once more to see a few guards chuckle at that statement.

"But before he left, he told me this; If something does end up happening to him, nopony had better be sad. He said he wanted us to celebrate, not cry over it."

I heard a few sniffles and a choked sob. I shook my head.

"Yeah, he asks for a bit much, doesn't he?" I chuckled. "But you know he'd be running around trying to enforce it on everypony." A few dry laughs rang out.

"Anyway. We're here to see off a great warrior. He always went with his convictions. Always tried to help anypony in need. He even took the extra stride to stand up, and he did it for us."

I smiled thinking it would be invigorating and nodded to Princess Celestia.

"A wonderful speech, Storm Blade. Almasy would be pleased." She nodded and took her place at the podium.

"To see off our friend, we have composed a small spectacle to commemorate this day."

She nodded to Princess Luna who charged a spell and smiled.

"Everypony, look to the sky."

As we all looked to the sky we saw it, a beautiful meteor shower. It was awe inspiring as the sun slowly crept behind the mountain. We were caught by both of the Princesses voices, but Luna was the one who approached the podium.

"Everypony, please let us have a moment of silence for him." As she finished everyone bowed their heads and you could hear hushed whispers of consoling and sobs.

After a few moments I heard something, like a light patting on the ground. It was off rhythm.

I shook my head and sighed trying to ignore it, but it got louder. 'Who would be..' .

I looked around and saw nothing, until I looked between the crowd. Walking down the aisle was a very...well, bucked up. Almasy.

"Kid!?" I shouted causing everypony to look towards him with a gasp. He was limping down the aisle clutching his side. All he offered was a pained looking smirk. His shirt was in tatters and tied across his chest, he was covered in blood and scars. I rushed towards him only to be cut off by him raising his hand that was tied with another shred of his old shirt.

He grunted and gave another pained smirk. "What did I tell you... You're not getting rid of me anytime soon, bud." Everypony gasped and gathered around.

"How..." I cut myself off. All he did was give a breathy laugh.

"I told you... I have this under contro.." He collapsed and sighed.

"Alright... so I might need a hand to get back up" He pushed himself to his knees only to be tackled back down by the Elements.

"Hey... I’m injured here! This kind of love hurts!" Everypony laughed and shook their heads. The Princesses walked up to either side of him.

"Serves you right for having everypony believe you're dead, kid." Almasy grunted and sat up still with a few of the Elements clinging to his body.

"Guys... you're going to get blood on you if you don't get off." Almasy started to try to pry them off one by one and Celestia laughed.

"Come now, little ones. I'm sure he needs some medical attention. Just by looking at him I can tell he's still greatly injured." Celestia offered a calm smile and picked Almasy up to his feet with her magic.

Rarity walked up and clung to Almasy's leg giving out small sobs. He reached down and patted her shoulder.

"Hey now, look I'm fine... kind of." He gave another laugh and clutched his side.

"Well. Mostly." Celestia and I shook our heads.

"You gotta stop acting so macho, kid. Look what it did to your flank." Twilight gave a sobbing laugh as did the rest of the girls.

"But it's good to see you alive and… well… up and around anyway." We both got a chuckle out of that.

Almasy shook his head and met the Princesses gaze. "There's something important I have to tell you both."

"We can talk after we get you patched up, Almasy." Celestia simply stated.

"Nurse Redheart, are you here?" She asked to the crowd of ponies, we saw her walk down the aisle after a moment.

"I'll go get an ambulance Princess. Please stay with him for the time being." Nurse Redheart said after checking over Almasy quickly.

"I was able to heal a little on my way here... I'd say it would take another day or three to get back to one-hundered percent." He groaned and ran a hand over his chest that was covered with his shirt.

"Take that off Almasy. What are you hiding?" Rarity pushed. Almasy shook his head.

"Nope... All I'll say is that there's a hole there... And I don't feel like dealing with losing any more blood. I've barely been able to sustain myself the past few days." He offered a half-smile and scratched... well.. attempted to scratch his head.

"Anyway… Looks like I'm late to my own funeral, eh?"

I face-hoofed. "You're really gonna make wise-cracks in that kind of condition, kid?"

He nodded.

"Sometime I wonder about you Almasy..."

"Best not try that...might hurt yourself." Almasy smirked and shook his head.

"Hey... What's that?" Almasy pointed to the ambulance coming down the way.

"Uhhh, that's your ride to the hospital, kid." He shuddered and I laughed.

"What, afraid of needles?"

Almasy took a sluggish swing at me and he missed and fell to the ground with a laugh and grunt.

"Ugghh, come here so I can hurt you Storm..."

"No can do, kiddo. Your ride's here." As I said that two unicorn doctors levitated him to a stretcher and I heard him sigh

"Hey, you brought this on yourself this time, Almasy." I cracked a smile and he tried to sit up getting pulled back down to the stretcher.

As the ambulance headed off to the hospital with Almasy I sighed.

"That guy is something else. Isn't that right, Captain?" I nodded to Celestia and she simply smiled.

"At least we know he's alive. Be sure he doesn't work for the next couple of days."

"Oh course, Princess... But making him apply to that will probably be a different story."

We both shared a laugh.