• Published 21st May 2017
  • 1,500 Views, 37 Comments

A Dragon's Duality - AndromedaNova



Twilight has a secret. One so damning, it can never be revealed to her friends. The only problem is....that her friends are starting to take notice.

  • ...
11
 37
 1,500

4: Two Beings; One Connection

Day 2 (CONT'D) - Pinkie

Gee willy! That meeting was way too long! I can't even count all the times I fell asleep just to dream up something interesting! Why did I even have to be there if Applejack was gonna be such a party-pooper and explain the situation and give me no opportunity? She's lucky I was awake when she needed the details about those two dragons! I remembered about the double berry mountain cake I baked the night before, and mm-mm~! I shared some slices and it seemed to wake everybody up, even if I didn't get all the cake I wanted!

Oh, the story! Bad habits!

Any whozies, all the girls went off after the meeting to whatever they had to do, only me and Rarity had a free day today and could do any thinking for the time being, but thinking is really hard though! Especially when you have to abandon all your aspirations to think like another pony, one who is practically the opposite of your own self! I think I'm deserving of a break for most of the day, I did make an important discovery the night before any how!


The sun beamed down on Ponyville as I walked out, birds chirped their wild songs, and the wind was stable, not too crazy to where my hair goes in fifteen more directions than it already does! All make a beautiful atmosphere, complimented by a pony who's mind is topsy-turvy from completely wacko events.

Who is Kolec and Basak? Where did they come from? Where did Spike go, for that matter?

Would any of these questions be answered? I don't know! I'm not a thinker, that's Twilight, and she's not available!

In the midst of all my strange thought, dust gusted up into my face and my eyes had to sharply shut, as my eyes began burning. What gives? I thought the wind was just fine a moment ago!

Shaking my head and looking up, nothing was there......until I looked over to my right.

It was a blur that began from Golden Oaks Library and trailed down into the general market. A red blur. An upright blur. Wait, was that who I thought it was?

My hooves clopped to the ground lightning-quick, my hair swung over to the right, and the dust trail got closer...closer...closer...

SLAM!

Wouldn't you know it, I crashed into the back of a building. How was I supposed to know that I couldn't transport through it? He could do it, so why couldn't I?

My perspective opened up once again, but I wasn't in the same place I fell. Before I was completely composed standing up, a voice I remembered began to speak.

"Pinkie! So nice to see you again!" The red dragon told me as he stood above. Kolec, I thought. Why is he out here? If he wasn't out here before, that means it was against the rules, which means he broke Twilight's rule! He's in for a rough time if she finds out!

"Sorry about yesterday! You seemed really fun, but Basak is soooo uptight! And I couldn-" I quickly put a hoof to his mouth, my eyes extended out as far as they could extend.

"What are you doing out here!? Don't you know where you are?!", I said quickly in a whisper, neglecting to actually hide ourselves were someone to come by. "Mpphmmppmpm! M mmped mm mp!" Oh right! I forgot to take my hoof off! My mind goes to mush in these kind of situations!

The hoof lifted from his face and he had a concerned, yet confident demeanor about him, "Oh come on! You can't tell me you've never broken to rules to have fun! Besides, so what if random ponies see me? Twilight never fully explained why it was a bad idea, so if anything it would be her fault!" He smiled with a sharp fang on his lip.

Such a wacko mind . . . Like my own! It's hard to come by any pony who can follow instructions like I do! I was thinking before I quickly halted the thought to get back on topic. "Well, you are soooo right! Ponies will never have super fun parties just trying to make sense and act 'serious'! That's a super smart way of thinking!" A huge Pinkamena Diane Pie trademarked smile grew from my muzzle as I squeezed his sides, out of my usual giddiness.

Um...Do we still have to keep whispering like this or can we just talk like normal? I want to have fun, not be restricted . . ." Kolec whispered to me once more, before I quickly nodded backing away a bit. When I tell someone a secret, I have the natural tendency to get closer, closer, and closer! This one time Rarity was only telling a 'non-serious' secret. Insane, right!? Secrets are meant to be kept for very serious reason! She had no right to get upset about me getting almost muzzle to muzzle to her for listen!

"I'm Pinkie Pie! Although, I'm sure you already knew that, Twilight always talks about her friends now that she has them! Y'know, she used to be a real buzzkill before she met us, she told us so~ many times how she never made time for her previous 'friends'. She was muzzle in book twenty-four-seven, I wouldn't be surprised if her best friend was the astronomy one she kept mentioning throughout! Ooo~! And did you hear that we haven't seen Spike anywhere?! It's really not the same without him around!" I finished in record time, only ten seconds! That beats the ten point seventeen I've done before!

Kolec looked at me with slightly squinted eyes, giving the impression of confusion. Oh come on! Why can't every pony, or every dragon in this situation, just understand my giddy talking acceleration? "Oh . . . Yeah, Twilight didn't tell us that, but I already knew. Actually though, her best book friend was one about Astrobiology. . . I forgot the title because it's like twenty words long! Talk about boring a reader before they even begin, ammiright?" He chuckled at his remark, which even I giggled at. Boy, this dragon sure understands me! Twilight manages to read a book with a title like that and I have to figure out what each word means itself, let alone figuring out what it all means put together, and don't even get me started on starting to read it! I'm surprised she's never told us her favorite book, though, seems like she would have mentioned it at least once or twice . . . Oh well! Can't be that important!

"You are one funny dragon! You said you wanted to have fun? Let's go to Sugarcube Corner! That's the bakery I work at, maybe I can help you learn some baking! I can even put some jewels in some treats just for you! I know that Spike likes it a lot, so I guess you might too!" I grab his hand before he can even respond and start walking to the bakery. Not that it mattered, he didn't resist or anything! Kolec even smiled brightly! Optimism is always something that makes me happy!

"Well, you lead the way!" He said with a small chuckle.


My Faithful Student, Twilight

The Duality Gem was an artifact found ten years ago in the Crystal Kingdom. It is unknown who found it directly and where it was found, but it was turned over to me by royal guards. I stored it in a closed off room only I and Luna knew the way to get into.

About three weeks ago, the gem began to glow in the room. It never got brighter when I touched it or otherwise, it simply kept a dim red glow. From there I invited you to come inspect the gem and you, of course, brought along Spike with you. We all were in the room and made observations about it: although nothing much changed while we were in there.

Spike seemed mesmerized by it though. He barely talked even when we directly referred to him, almost in a trance. Once he took the Duality Gem from the petal stool, he breathed fire onto it and it reacted. The gem turned yellow and shone brighter and brighter, almost blinding levels. Instead of him dropping the gem, he gripped more tightly as it seemingly disintegrated onto his body.

In a flash, a dark sphere took over Spike entirely, we couldn't see what was happening to him. Five seconds later, two drakes fell from the sphere and it was gone.

Avoiding the worry and sorrow we instantly had ( I think we can agree we both want to forget that moment), we questioned the dragons both together and separately. Basak and Kolec, were their names. They both had certain qualities Spike had, and both even mentioned certain memories Spike had experienced before. If they didn't know a pony Spike had met we showed, they recognized the look and had familiarity in tact.

Currently, we don't know what happened to Spike, but we have a couple theories. One, two dragons from a different world were taken and given parts of Spike's memory and personality while Spike was transported to their respective world. Two, the gem split Spike's soul into two, each with specific parts about Spike injected into them. These two thoughts were the best we could come up with, although other theories not yet made are in the realm of possibility.

We cannot rule out that there aren't any more Duality Gems in existence, but it is unlikely there are many more. We aren't sure, even then, if the gem has reverse effects when used again on the same dragons.

Make sure you keep the knowledge of the Duality Gem hidden, we cannot have a sudden surge of people looking for the gem for whatever purposes they may have.

Your Teacher, Princess Celestia.

I read it all aloud nervously as I read it the first time, it was still that powerful to me. The rest of the girls, with the exception of Pinkie, were staring at me, then at the letter, then with a huge shake . . .

"WHAT?!" The three girls all simultaneously yelled with agape mouths. It was mayhem from there.

"Twilight has been hiding split Spikes!?"

"The Duality Gem?! Where did it come from?"

"Why did Twilight not tell us this! We care about Spike too!"

"I cannot believe this is the reason she was gone!"

"What are we supposed to do from here!?"

"Be quiet, already!" I said as loudly as possibly. It worked, the girls looked back at me. You would not come close to comprehending how hard it was to do that, I couldn't imagine being so unladylike! Spike was on the line though and I couldn't be selfish!

"What did you expec', Rarity?" Applejack spoke up, "When being told something as strange and disturbing as that, it is not easy to stay mute on the subject! Especially when one of the closest friends we have was the one effected by it!"

"Ugh . . . I know you are right, but we need to keep as much of a leveled head as we can. As much as I want to question what drew Spike to the gem and what this Duality Gem is in the first place, we have to focus on the bigger picture." I sigh in defeat. I had so many mixed emotions, I was unsure if Spike was within those two drakes, if he was gone forever, or is just not here. It's hard to think about the topic when there is so much to cover . . .

"So . . ." Rainbow Dash began, "We're gonna march to Golden Oaks, go inside, and wait for Twilight to arrive, right? 'Cuz I don't see any other option, especially considering Twilight isn't here to give us any ideas. First we don't hear from them, and then we know that Spike is in an unknown condition. What a wakeup call. . ." The way she ended it made me shudder. At least I held up better than Fluttershy, who nearly looked on the verge of tears (she was being treated by Applejack, I wasn't trying to be distant).

Of course the idea made sense, but I wasn't sure if I was ready to hear about the whole deal just yet. I knew it had to be heard eventually, but it all seemed to happen too fast. "Alright. I suppose we could do that. We don't know how long we will be waiting, however."

"However long it'll take, it will be worth it. Trust me" Rainbow said boldly, to which I rolled my eyes.


"Kolec, are you sure you've never done this before?" He had made a layered strawberry shortcake and it was absolutely scrumptious! He said he cooked a lot, but he never mentioned that he bakes! I didn't even have to give him a complex recipe, he just knew what to add in and how to do it after I told him how much flour and eggs the cake needed. Either he is a show off, or he has a gift!

He gave wiped off his face and took off the apron he wore in the kitchen, while giving a joking demeanor, "Trust me, I wish I baked sooner! Cooking is fun, but this is a different type of fun! It's something I can put together while working on something else, thanks for letting me try it out!" He finally sat down with me and looked at me. He is definitely telling the truth, nothing about him says he would d something like that I thought to myself as I met his gaze.

"So, how're you enjoying the little cupcake-sized piece of Ponyville you've seen so far? It beats staying inside for so long, I'm sure!" I said confidently. I think I understood where he was coming from as he gave bits of info throughout our baking session, but I still wanted to know some more! It is not often you meet someone this interesting!

He snickered and put down his fork, "How couldn't I enjoy this place? It's great, being with Basak all day gets a bit annoying at times. I care for him a lot, yeah, but too much time around anyone can get a bit claustrophobic. He's very modest about his knowledge he learns from many of the books he reads, unlike Twilight, and he's a very fast learner for trivia, math, sciences, and even magic. When you give him something to learn, he'll likely try his hardest to figure it out, and won't give up without a fight. Basak can be a downer sometimes though . . ." He says as he looks toward the window, showing Golden Oaks Library. I was going to immediately reply, but . . . I began noticing around us how ponies were looking at Kolec and me.

Cringes, looks of despair, some ponies even telling their kids to stay away from the dragon quietly, and the bakery quickly emptied not long after. The worst part? Kolec didn't even notice what happened and why, which was the cherry on top of the despair milkshake. That was . . . soo~ unfair! What did Kolec do to deserve that? I'm being serious here, Nova, why would you make such a thing happen to Kolec!? Spike lived here for years, but one dragon comes around and people suddenly are super mean?

"Hey, uh, are you okay?" Kolec asked me and tapped his claw on the table quite loudly before I shook out of my intense though. I can't tell him right now, I'll just wait until he notices next time.

"Of course! What do you say we ditch this place and look for another cool place to hang out?"

"Sounds great!"

We walked out of the front door and saw something unexpected however. The four other girls, excluding Twilight of course, were standing outside of the Golden Oaks Library, knocking. Why were they . . . ?


Alright, listen up. Imagine having a less than average day. You couldn't do anything outside the restraints of four walls, there weren't many activities inside anyway, and you've read all the books the library had to offer that had some value. Congratulations, you are living a life quite like Basak!

Oh, did I say congratulations? I mean, my condolences go out to you for whatever reason out of your hands you were brought into. While I was staying inside doing what I was supposed to do, Kolec decided to go hang out in town. The fact he is so blissfully unaware of how disliked drakes, especially non-baby drakes, are to regular ponies is almost laughable. You would think it would be something considered a No duh, kind of sentiment, but not for Kolec, of course! I am forced to be with what seems like the biggest dolt at all times. Really lucky, I know.

So, what makes an amazing day even better? When four ponies you faintly recognize, or I guess probably just one of them, begin knocking furiously at the front door to your jail cell. Considering the magic spell Twilight put on the door, the only way it could be opened was either by her magic, or a special key only I have. I was not worried about them breaking down the door, obviously, but they kept knocking and knocking and knocking. . . and kept going for nearly thirty seconds. Finally there was some bliss, they'd gone away . . . until there were three sets of hooves all banging on the door.

"Will you guys shut the **** up? This is a private business, currently!" I roared with intensity at the door, standing next to it.

"Let us in, then! We need to be in there!" One adventurous voice spoke up. I remembered that voice. I swear it was . . .

"Rainbow Dash!" Yeah, I was sure of it. "I am under strict orders to not let anyone in the library. under any circumstances!

"Oh come on! Aren't we friends, Spike?" She said teasingly through the wood, but it wasn't funny to me.

"If you call me Spike ever again, I will burn off all the hair on your body." I said seriously as I walked away from the door, unable to hear what the ponies replied with, nor did I care. I went back to the sign out desk to overview a book I was researching. Before I could even get engrossed into it, a clanking noise came from the front door.

It opened, Kolec stood there with a scared smile and a key in his hand with another... pink pony, Pie, whatever her name is. If I saw myself, I would've looked like a torturer in that one moment.

"Oh for the love of! KOLEC! YOU ARE SO DEAD!"

Author's Note:

Yes, the pink one will be breaking the fourth wall on occasion, deal with it.

Now we're getting somewhere!

As always, I will not guarantee the next release date for the succeeding chapter (I know I'm bad with that...).