• Published 26th May 2017
  • 566 Views, 7 Comments

The Clockwork Alicorns - Frostling 02



Within the Badlands resides the Steam Empire. The inhabitants are mechanical automatons known as the Clockwork. One of them, Seven-Two, is standard until he is sent on a mission to Equestria. He meets with unexpected changes on his arrival.

  • ...
 7
 566

Chapter Five: Family in Ponyville

Night and I continued towards the town she informed me was Ponyville. She also told me she had some quiet family there. Specifically, her mother was very quiet. From what she told me she would often be stuck in her home traversing one hobby or another. From what I could tell, she was pretty isolated. I was expecting a quiet and stern pony, but we don’t really know what we should until we see. I tilted my head with some inner visions of what I’d experience in Ponyville.



“So Ponyville is a big place in Equestria, right?” I paced a few steps behind Night with the question. She glanced at the ground and shook the back of her head as she walked. “I’m not sure how big the towns in Equestria are.”



“How do I even start with that?” She halted with a lightly confused look. “Ponyville is… a place. I wouldn’t call it big and important, but I certainly wouldn’t call it small either. It’s just there. It’s a bit more rural than other places, but I have a hard time pitching it that way with how much it has.”



“A jack of all trades?” I suggested as we continued on our path.



“That’s a fair call,” Night remarked. “It has artistic talent, athletic talent, and some other unspecified categories. I mostly spend my time out camping in the woods we were in. There’s also a quirky community on top of that. The most important thing in Ponyville is actually the new princess. What was her name again…? It doesn’t matter, she won’t be leading for a long time. Other than that, it’s pointless. There are much more strategic areas. I mean, why go to Ponyville when Canterlot is just a quick train drive away. Heck if you had the stamina and the supplies you’d be able to hike up that mountain, but the train is the-… Sorry, I was getting on a tangent.”



“That’s fine,” I assured the mare. “I think it is interesting to learn some of the biased thoughts of natives.”



Night glanced and me and around again. It was almost like she forgot something. I wasn’t sure what, but it was something.



We continued to walk for at least half an hour. I didn’t have to worry about stamina and Night seemed accustomed to the trek to Ponyville. My disguise would fit right in by what Night told me. She jested that I was a few shades off of being a princess too. I couldn’t quite get what she meant by that, but I rolled with it. Shortly after those comments, we found ourselves in front of an alley into the town between some houses.



“So, is there a reason we’re entering this way?” I asked Night as she put on her goggles once again. “This is usually said to be a dangerous part where I was from.”



“Please,” Night shrugged. “That’s just what freaks like us say when we want to be alone.”



“For some reason, I think that’s what other ponies say so no pony gets in a bad spot,” I reflexively backed up as she stepped in.



“There are plenty of violent freaks,” Night gleamed at me as she pulled me into the alley. “I just happen to not be that type.”



We walked down the rather small alley. Night stopped us before we left the alley. She poked her head out and scanned the area before motioning me to follow. She then proceeded to move quickly through the town. I was caught off guard by it, but I was able to keep up. She began to slow down and play it natural her wings hidden. I decided to play it natural too. As we walked I scanned the area. Ponyville was actually a place I had to examine in my mission, but I still needed to find the specific thing Chasy wanted me to check.



The walk seemed pretty standard. There were a few ponies we walked past that waved to us. There was even an odd mare that waved at me by the bakery, pink with a messy mane. She almost approached me, but literally pulled herself back. She proceeded to talk to herself as she walked back to the bakery. I tilted my head and turned to Night. She seemed to have a bit of sweat on the back of her head.



“Who was that?” I wondered aloud.



“One of the new princess’s close friends,” Night let out a relieved sigh like she knew who I meant. “The parties she throws are abrupt and high energy. I don’t want to deal with her, but she probably knows what’s going on.”



“Should I be worried?”



“She seems to be leaving us alone,” The mare assured me. “She probably felt that this wasn’t her place. I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with the extra head ache.”



I let it go rather quickly as we continued to walk. It wasn’t long until we came to a sudden stop again. Night paused and stared in a direction. I wasn’t sure why we stopped, I looked at her awed face. I turned to where she was looking and I saw an undeniably beautiful mare. She had a fair length aqua blue mane that flowed smoothly and delicately in a breeze. Her sky-blue eyes had a glint in them. Her smile was one of charms. The Pegasus was watching some of the young ones play. Once the aqua Pegasus noticed us, more so Night, she flew right on over with a bit of energy. I saw her cutie mark was a selection of fruit.



“Night!” The mare called in a fair pitched voice “What do you think of my new mane style, I wanted to try something new.”



I looked over to Night who was still in awe. The two knew each other, but I wasn’t sure if I should interrupt. Either way, Night was in her own world from what I could tell.



“Oh, is it bad?” The mare seemed to flinch a little.



“No,” I decided to answer for Night. “You’re beau- it’s beautiful!”



I don’t know what happened, but I would not speak of it again. Night swung a hoof in my face instinctively as she came back to the real world.



“Argh!”



“That mane style is fine! Keep it,” Night practically ordered, but cooled down. “That is, unless you find it a bother to get it that way.”



“It’s fine, I’m not too busy outside of work.” The mare landed finally and stood over me still looking at Night. “Besides, I think I enjoy the extra work.”



“That’s wonderful,” Night declared.



“So, who’s this stallion?” The mare inquired. “He seems a little shy...”



“His name is Whistle,” Night leered at me. “He’s visiting from Las Pegasus. I just happened to meet him not far from town.”



“Not often we get visitors,” The pony stated. “I suppose it’s only natural with the new princess, but she’s been around for a bit now. How’s Las Pegasus? I have some relatives there whom I like.”



“It’s fine,” I caught on to the act and turned to night. “Who’s this and why did you hit me in the face now Night?”



“This is Carry,” Night answered. “She’s a friend of mine. Also, sorry about that little twitch.”



“Twitch?” I looked at her rub the back of her head. “You knocked me onto the ground with that. Anyway, it’s nice to meet you Carry. Small world and all that jazz.”



Carry seemed excited to meet me as she lifted me off the ground and inspected me. I wasn’t sure how to feel about it, but at least she wasn’t doing anything awkward. I looked over at Night who was scowling at me again. I brushed that aside and let things play out from there.



The two mares talked for a bit and Night began to explain that she was telling an instinctive lie to Carry. I was about to interrupt when Night explained that she would explain once we got to her mother’s house. Carry seemed to understand her surprisingly well for how vague she was. What’s more, she was very trusting and seemed even more curious about me. It was unsettling, but it was nice to have a natural attraction of such a beautiful mare. We began to walk and Night kept a close eye on me now that Carry was with us. I felt like I was low priority in this situation, but I wasn’t going to complain. I could still run these errands with a breeze. Chasy never noted that I had to avoid ponies entirely and I was going to use this to its best!



Night lead us to a fairly big house compared to some of the others in the area. I was a bit surprised with the knowledge that Nights mother lived there. Carry gleamed at me, then the building, then me again. I took a step back at that point, but I backed into another pony who was standing there. A unicorn of orange color. He had a yellow mane. His outfit was a dark jacket. The most defining thing was his camera. It looked like an expensive journalist camera. I should’ve read the signs there.



“New friend Night?” He questioned smugly. Night let out a sigh and turned to him.



“None of your business Optic,” Night hissed.



“Correction, scoops are my business.” He walked past Carry and I to Night.



“Yet you decided to follow me specifically,” Night remarked. “I’m not interesting either. Just another pony who likes the outdoors and nature, but wait, you wouldn’t be too familiar with that in Manehattan.”



“That is only more intriguing to me,” Optic levitated his camera and inspected it with his hazel eyes. “You certainly were a bit curious in Manehattan.”



“That was very different than what you thought it was,” Night rebuked. “You don’t even have the evidence to support your claim.”



“That’s what I intend to get!” The unicorn growled at Night. “Just you wait, I’ll uncover your secret!”



Optic turned and walked off, with anger. Night rubbed the side of her head and looked back at Carry and I. Night and Carry shrugged in unison. I shrugged a second after them. As she opened the door, Night motioned us in. Once we were inside she scanned outside and shut the door followed by closing the curtains.



The lights were already on and the place was clear to see. I felt something as I scanned the area more. This was far from a simple pony house. Night had told us to be quiet gently over the noise of the residence. I was astounded to see gears and cogs moving in the ground. Other devices and trinkets were sprawled across the room in an orderly fashion. It was peculiar to see a place like this that wasn’t in the Steam Empire. I looked around almost instinctively and it seemed like it was all in order. Then I turned to see Night hanging up her hat and about to take off the rest of her clothes. To that I jumped to her quickly.



“What are you doing?” I whispered in a panic. “Did you forget Carry was here?”



“What’s wrong with what she’s doing?” Carry asked suddenly beside us.



“Right, it’s about time for me to tell you,” Night looked at me as she spoke. “Carry knows I’m a bat pony.”



“Wait, what?” I stared at the two individually. “She knows?”



“You know?” Carry looked from me to Night who let out a quick sweat.



“I was going to tell you how he knows,” Night continued our whispering.



“Why are we still whispering?” I inquired.



“Not now Whistle!” The bat pony scolded me.



“You’re not going to tell me now?” The Pegasus tilted her head innocently.



“I was just getting to that,” Night explained. “He’s a complicated mess that I was unlucky enough to cross.”



“I assume he’s some kind of cheap digger with that rusty shovel of his.” Carry smiled at me to heal my hurt.



“No, even worse,” Night insulted me.



“What do you mean worse?” I interrupted still whispering.



“A lumberjack?” Carry guessed again.



“No!” Night raised her voice.



Catching the glimpse of something behind us, Night froze in place. I turned to see a young mare with satchels on her sides tinkering with the machinery. She had goggles similar to what Night was wearing before. Night took a few steps forward getting just in front of me. The young mare lifted her head and bumped a machine. She shook her head and saw us before Night could say anything. One of the most excited smiles I saw that day slipped onto her face, wasn’t quite as excited as the pink pony earlier though. That was beside the point as the Pegasus flew in our direction really fast. Of course, after looking at Night and carry she bee-lined for me. She took some good stares at me. I was backed into a crowded spot of expensive looking machinery so I could only let things happen.



“Mother, please don’t,” Night almost warned. “At least properly greet yourself.”



“Yes, hello sweetie,” The mare almost ignored her daughter entirely. “You must be fairly new.”



“Wha-?“ I was on the receiving end of relentless interruptions.



“Alright,” Night let out a sigh and turned to Carry. “Whistle is one of those Clockwork I told you about Carry.”



“Really?” The young Pegasus tilted her head.



“Yep,” The mare examining me acknowledged the two’s conversation. “He seems to be fairly crafted.”



The tropical looking Pegasus took the goggles off revealing her purple eyes. She wore a hat over her green mane. I was confused by the situation I found myself in. The mare poked my side and my disguise dropped.



“What?” My jaw dropped.



“There it is…” Night turned away and sighed.



“Chasy is still making these,” The tropical pony was talking to Night. “He never did tell me how he made them, but they’re neat none the less.”



“They are not neat!” Night walked over to the mare’s side.



I was being overwhelmed by these sudden talks. How did this mare know of Chasy and the Clockwork? I was also caught off guard by her youth for being Night’s mother.



“Wha-mmpf!” I was cut-off mid shout by Night lodging her hoof in my mouth.



“What do you mean they aren’t neat?” Night’s mother glanced at her daughter and I. “I have something that may prove how neat the Clockwork are.”



“I get the feeling you showed me when I was younger.” Night turned her head to her mother. “You know how inconsistent that method is. You’re just looking for an excuse to check for yourself.”



“Well, I won’t deny that.” The blue mare looked around. “You can’t deny that it’s neat though.”



“You’re just weird mom,” Night teased. “Fine, fine, you can check, just be quick about it. Sorry about this Whistle, I was hoping we’d be able to sneak you in and out quickly so we didn’t get side tracked. I guess I got to talk with my mom at least…”



Night’s mother pulled a duster out of one of her bags with a childish glint in her eyes. Night herself looked at her and sighed. She motioned for Carry -who was watching this unfold- to turn around. Night herself looked at me once again and finally pulled her hoof out of my mouth. She hurried over to Carry’s side and left me to the mysterious mare. The tropical mare used her wings to float around me briefly while holding the duster. She suddenly got up close and in my face. I leaned away slightly.



“Uh… Hi?” I got to speak, but I was still very distracted by this touchy pony. That duster was also a bit curious, but I quickly discovered its significance. She brushed it along my neck at a moderate pace. I held my breath with that tingly sensation arousing within me. I let out a small yelp when she picked up her speed about dusting me. She proceeded to rush at my side and pick up her speed even more. I broke out into laughter then. She continued to do this for a brief time, clearly enjoying herself. I felt good laughing at least, but it was still an odd position to be in.



She stopped and looked at me with that glint still in her eyes. I was breathing steadily. She made the choice to put her duster away. The dark blue pony tapped a hoof on my head and smiled more controllably now. She gave me a hug too. I wasn’t sure what to make of that brief time, but at least the comfortable part was the last thing.



“Yep, he’s ticklish.” The mare turned to Night and Carry who had gone into their own quick talk conversation during the humiliating affair. Even Night was blushing.



“Right,” Night said. “Can we move along now?”



“I do wonder why Chasy programmed some of the Clockwork to laugh when tickled. I suppose he may have seen it as a necessary step to his perfect society. What fun is a population if there’s no variety? He never did quite explain that…” The pony with the hat rambled and trailing off. She snapped back into reality with a shake of her head. “Oh right, how rude of me! I’m Sundae, Night’s former Mother.”



“Wait, what?” I saw Night put her face in her hoof.



“Would you just keep it simple?” Night requested Sundae. “You know you’re very special.”



“Pardon me,” Sundae hit herself in the head gently. “It’s a long story, just know I’m not the same pony I used to be. Anyway, it’s nice to meet one of Chasy’s newer creations. I suppose he sent you here to examine the different labs across Equestria?”



“Yes,” I answered certain that it really didn’t matter with these three. “Do you know how I can get to them? I know where they are, but I’m just unfamilia-“



“I have a map.” Sundae pulled a map out of her satchel and I held it with my magic.



“Convenient,” I remarked.



“I suggest you take precautions in your travels to these places.” She pointed at various locations in Equestria. They were all towns. “The inhabitants would certainly be skeptic of a robot like yourself. Particularly make sure you aren’t bumped in the side. Chasy made it so he could disable Clockwork disguises with relative ease. Peculiar, wouldn’t you agree?”



“I’m going with him,” Night declared. “He’ll be safe.”



“If you say so, make yourselves at home you two.” She motioned me to follow as she looked toward Night and Carry. “Come along… What’s your number?”



“Seven-Two, you can just call me Whistle.” I answered with extra information. Her mouth went ajar hearing me say that. As she took off her hat and placed it on a table covered with trinkets, she closed her mouth. Sundae rubbed her hoof on my face.



“Please be careful with what you do.” She gave me a brief hug and turned motioning for me to follow. I turned to Night and Carry who were sitting on some furniture. Night gave me a downed look and turned away. I left behind that darkened atmosphere.



I didn’t know at the time why it was such a dim mood, but I just didn’t want to linger within that air. I followed the steps of the blue mare and pushed that thought aside with another thought as we walked. I liked the way Night said that I’d be alright. I can’t deny my attraction to confidence. If trouble did show itself, I could at least feel safe knowing she may have my back.



We entered a dark room dimly lit by a dark blue sphere in the middle of the room and my eyes. There was a rumbling noise in the room, but nothing obnoxious. Sundae examined me with apparent fascination before flipping a switch on the wall. The light’s turned on revealing a neatly organized room compared to the maze of machines in the first room we were in. There were desks with files on them as well as filing cabinets under them. What was probably the most jarring of the room were pictures of Chasy with another unicorn mare. I’d never known of the mare, but she was clearly around his age. A common detail that the pictures showed was Chasy being the larger presence, a step infront of the mare. I felt there was a noise within my own head that resonated from the room as well. Uncomfortable, but I could bear it.



Sundae took in the room and breezily skipped over to a box and pressed some buttons. I scanned the room and everything seemed to be in order. I still felt a buzz however. After I stored the data I retrieved, music began to ring. It was that same song the ensemble in the palace had performed for the spectators. I looked over at Sundae who begun to dance one of the parts I saw a female base Clockwork do at that party. It was a spectacle just how well she knew the part. At least, that’s what I thought. I don’t know much about dancing myself. She opened her eyes and they had a look of realization. She smiled with an opposite color on her face. She turned off the music and held a forced smile. I applauded her despite her embarrassment. At first she was surprised, being grateful with the positive support.



“You’re too kind,” Sundae mused. “I don’t think I’m quite that good after all these years.”



“I’d disagree,” I complimented despite my lack of knowing what she meant.



She offered another smile and continued to let her gaze wander. I took in the scenery, quickly catching the glowing sphere in my eyes. It was beautiful and pleasant to look at. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until I heard the buzz return. It was clarifying a little bit. Repeating and repeating, as if to beckon me closer and closer.



“---- i- -y ne- ---b--?” It sounded. I approached and it cleared ever so slightly.



“Th-- i- -y new -emb--?” I could almost make it out. Answering its call, I reached for it. I heard something as I touched it, but it was faded. Another voice sounded over it.



“This is my new member?”



I blasted back into reality with a shock! I was dazed with blurred vision. As I stumbled about, I turned to see the mysterious stallion in the sunglasses again. I jumped which didn’t help my unsteady stance. Clearly amused, the stallion smirked at me. I noticed that Sundae was frozen in place behind him.



“When did you get here?” I inquired of the stallion.



“Curiosity killed the cat,” He started. “I tell you, oh how I know that! You should know what to do.”



“Yeah, report gathered information,” I shook my head in an attempt to clear my head. “It’s none of your business anyway.”



“That is the correct goal,” The dark unicorn remarked. “but it has much to do with me. Don’t act like a little foal, that is no way for Clockwork to be. Lastly, watch your step. Do what you must only, or else you will suffer after three days prep.”



“What are you talking about?” I growled at his indirect answers.



“Buried under ancient sands,” The stallion began to distort and his eyes flashed again. “Are those buried by your father’s past commands.”



Before I could ask, time returned to its original flow. I glanced around unable to detect him. Sundae gave me a concerned stare. I couldn’t quite tell what it was over, but I’d quickly discover that I made a small yelp as I touched the sphere. I described the events with the sphere and the stallion. The Pegasus was alarmed by these things, but more so the stallion.



“Not only did you hear a voice from the core,” She was confirming this. “I also hear of him again. I suppose it’s a possibility. Night had told me of her encounters with him, but now you? The ghost is coming to haunt us now I see. I never could’ve foreseen this…”



“Night told you?” I tried sorting this out in my head.



“After she told me of him,” Sundae let out a sigh. “I never did believe her. I thought he had vanished. I told myself he had vanished, but he still lingers if you have seen him…”



“I’m sorry,” I looked at my hoofs.



“Don’t be sorry,” Sundae comforted me. “I’m grateful. He’s still here and he cares enough to interact with us. I suppose it’s more my fault what happened before. I at least know I could probably do something for him in the future now.”



I wasn’t sure what to make of this, but her smile seemed to be one of relief. I could see it as reasonable that voices in my head weren’t as important to her as the Unicorn. The voice I heard was my own mystery to solve. I would pursue it on my own if I had to. I could tell that Equestria hid many mysteries for me to uncover. There’s the relationship between Night’s family, the voice from that core, and the dark Unicorn. Even my dream on the last full moon. It was only at this point I realized I was in for a spiraling staircase of the unknown. I’d swallow the lump in my throat and walk the paths.