• Published 25th Sep 2017
  • 2,594 Views, 44 Comments

Second Chances - knightcommander



Months after the infamous Battle of the Bands, the Rainbooms are reunited with an old nemesis... but something has changed.

  • ...
4
 44
 2,594

Out from Darkness

Chapter Three: Out from Darkness

Being the late hour that it was, the local animal shelter was closed and dark, but being a regular and trusted volunteer had netted Fluttershy access to a spare key. Sliding it into the lock and hearing the familiar click, she gently opened the door and entered the darkened shop as quietly as she could to avoid waking the sleeping animals within. Thankfully, the doors leading to the animal housing areas were closed and shades covered the viewing windows, so turning on the main entranceway light was not disturbing to them. Fluttershy knew she would have to explain why she was entering the premises so late after closing time, but her supervisor was always understanding and would not have any issue with what she was about to do.

At least, she hoped so in this case.

She didn't have to wait long for her visitor to show up. Thankfully, the animal shelter wasn't a long walk from the downtown apartments where Sonata lived. When Fluttershy spotted her walking up, her hood pulled up tight around her face, she waved to her from behind the glass door and beckoned for her to come in. Sonata looked around a few times before gently pushing the door open and entering. Finally able to let her hood down, she took a seat next to Fluttershy near the front desk.

"This is kind of a strange place to meet." She said. "I figured you'd want me to come to your house." She said.

"I thought it might be easier for you here. Not many people come around this part of town late a night, and it's not very far from your house." Fluttershy explained. "So, do you feel up to talking about today? I'm sorry if I'm prying, but I really do want to help you, if I can." She placed a comforting hand on the siren's shoulder, who began to rub her hands together between her knees.

"Before I do that, I should give you a little... background. Do you know where us Sirens came from?" She asked. Fluttershy was a bit taken aback by the question, but she managed to keep a smile on her face.

"Equestria, right?" Sonata shook her head.

"That's not what I meant. Do you know how we came to be?" Fluttershy shook her head no. "Well.. we weren't always like this. We used to be creatures called seaponies." Fluttershy shifted her weight in her chair while she listened.

"We lived in the Great Southern Ocean, my family and I," Sonata continued, a small smile coming to her face as she recalled these fond memories. "We had this little cove on this island off the coast. The was warm and had this beautiful azure color. The reef was so bright and colorful it was like an underwater rainbow. My sisters and I would spend days upon days just swimming around and playing fin tag among the fishies."

"It sounds lovely," Fluttershy replied, clasping her hands and motioning for her to continue.

"It sure was. Anyway, seaponies like we... like we were... we also had magic just like the unicorns did, but we controlled it with our voices instead of our brains. That's why we were able to... use our powers by singing those songs. We would channel it through our vocal cords by these special pearls we wore on our necks," Her hand instinctively reached up and rubbed the naked spot on her neck. "Most of us got our magical voices when turned thirteen, but my sisters and I... our voices were weak, and try as we might we could never get our magic to work right. Our voices sounded awful too." Fluttershy shifted over and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"That must have been hard." She said soothingly.

"Totally. The other foals were always making fun of us, saying we sounded like dying whales, that we'd never be able to use magic. Dagi never let on, but it really hurt her, especially when she saw either me or Ari upset about it. She always considered herself responsible for us because she was the oldest sister." Fluttershy rubbed her back. "Dagi was always going to the Academy, talking to all the wisest sages and trying to figure out why couldn't use our magic, but nobody could help us. And that's when we... ran into him?"

"Ran into who?"

"I don't remember his name, or if he even told us it. I don't even remember what he looked like, just that he had this really deep and raspy voice," Sonata gave a brief shudder. "It's one thing I'll never forget, among others. He told us he knew of our troubles and that if we were willing to accept his help, he could help us. He could give us something that would make us more powerful than any other seapony in the cove. He gave us three gems, red rubies, the same ones you saw us wearing when we came to your school." She gestured up to her throat, as though emphasizing her point.

"By then, Dagi and Aria and I had been watching the others grow up and gain such beautiful voices, especially those who studied under the old masters and could weave such powerful magic they could practically bend the sea itself to their will. Oh, you should have seen it! It was such a beautiful thing to see them singing and making dancing shapes from the water! We had grown so jealous of them, and so angry at how they treated us, that we were blinded and took those gems without even thinking about it. When we got home that night, we decided to sneak into the Academy to see the old masters and their students, and without even thinking once, we focused our magic through those gems..."

"And you heard beautiful singing from you for the first time." Fluttershy finished for her. Not looking up at her, Sonata nodded. She gave a shuddering sigh before continuing.

"I thought at the time that it was the most beautiful thing in the sea, more beautiful than anything those stuck up students could hope to produce. But if we knew then what was really happening... I would have torn my vocal cords out right then and there. Before our eyes, they started to make mistakes, and they started to blame their teachers and each other for it. The more we sang, the more they fought, and the more power seemed to flow into is. It tasted sweet, sweeter than any food you can think of. But we didn't know..."

"Didn't know what?" Fluttershy asked. Sonata looked her dead in the eyes, her own purplish ones beginning to mist over.

"Those gems were... cursed. They had some kind of evil magic in them, one we didn't see at the time. All we cared about was that we finally had our voice, and finally had our magic. We couldn't wait to show it off, and finally put those jerks who had been mean to us in their place for good. But the curse of the gems didn't just affect those who we touched with our magic, it also affected us. It made us... awful. It was little things at first; snapping at our parents for seemingly no reason, responding to taunts with nasty remarks of our own, those kinds of things. But soon, we stopped caring about anything but gaining more power. We started performing wherever we could, inciting fights and arguments to soak up the power. We loved it, we craved it, we couldn't think of anything else. And little by little, we were corrupted even further. We started... I started to enjoy what we were doing. I started getting goosebumps everytime I made a really bad argument, even a fistfight. I started to love seeing the seaponies who teased me have a friendship break apart, or a betrothal end, or make their family descend into hatred. And soon, it started to even change my appearance. It started to turn me from a beautiful seapony maiden into that... horrible looking dragon thing you remember from the Battle of the Bands." Her eyes were now beginning to water as each painful memory was recalled. Fluttershy took Sonata's hands into her own to console her.

"Soon, we were causing so much havoc that the guards arrested us while we were putting on a show at the Academy and brought us before our elders for trial. When they asked us why we were doing such horrible things, we just laughed and told them to stuff it, we would keep doing it until we were the most powerful seaponies in existence. It was enough for them that they banished us from our cove that day, never to return... under pain of death." She choked out the last few words. "Our last act before leaving was to curse them and vow revenge should ever return. I'll never forget the look on our mother's face. Not even angry, but... heartbroken. Back then I didn't care, I was just mad I couldn't get any more power... until we found the ponies on land, and... well, Princess Twilight probably told you that."

"But if those cursed gems are what caused you to act that way..." Fluttershy began. Sonata shook her head.

"You don't understand. The gems cursed us and gave us dark powers, sure, but it was because we kept using them. Everything I ever did, I did because I wanted to! Maybe the gems helped, but I still could have stopped. I could have realized what they were doing sooner and took mine off and threw it away, but I didn't, because I wanted to use them, and I enjoyed using them! Every awful thing I ever did and said, whether over there or over here, I did and said because I wanted to! Even after you broke those stupid gems, I still wanted that power, and I hated you for taking it away from me. I even thought about... hurting you." Fluttershy gasped at this, but she never let Sonata's hands go.

"But as the days went by, those feelings started to leave me, and I started to feel a twinge in my heart whenever I thought about what we had done. But things didn't come to a head until I ran into a couple of Canterlot High students while I was on a walk in the park. A boy and a girl were standing across from me. The girl was crying, and the boy was pleading about something. It took a bit before I could make out what they were saying. She said he said some horrible things to her when they were under the influence of our magic, and now she couldn't trust him anymore. No matter how much he begged, she wouldn't listen, and she broke up with him then and there." A single tear came down her cheek. "She ran away crying, and then he turned and saw me. Even with my hood up he recognized me... but he didn't come after me, just stood there with a sad look on his face, and he said 'Well, there you have it. You broke a three-year relationship to pieces in less than a week. I hope the power boost you guys got was worth that much.' But that's when it hit me... everything single boost of power I got from all those unspeakable things I did... It wasn't worth it. It wasn't worth it one single bit. You wanted to know what was bothering me in the restaurant... ever since that day, it all came back in a flood. I couldn't stop thinking about how horrible I was. The images won't get out of my head. I've barely slept because I keep having nightmares about it, and the whole time my heart feels like it's been torn into a thousand pieces."

Fluttershy felt her own eyes mist up as she gave Sonata's hands a comforting squeeze. By now, fresh tears were flowing down the Siren's face, a face which bore a look of pain and guilt, a face of a broken girl bearing the torment of her past.

"I don't deserve your kindness, I don't deserve your friendship," She continued. "Not after I was so awful to you... to everyone. I... I... I'm a monster!" Sonata buried her face in her hands and began to sob.

Fluttershy felt like she had been cut with a sword. Hearing this story had given her a new perspective on her old enemies, but more importantly, her heart ached for her. Sonata was so broken by remorse, she felt she didn't even deserve a second chance. But whatever it was that made it so easy for her to act in such an awful way, it was clear that it was gone. This was not the vicious villain who invaded her school and tried to tear her friendships apart for the sake of power, who took pure sadistic glee in causing hatred and division. This wasn't the same girl who had torn her own homeland and Equestria apart with her magic. No, this was a hurt and remorseful girl torn to pieces by what she had done. Fluttershy wasn't looking at a monster, she was looking a soul in need of healing.

"Sonata, look at me, please," She said gently, taking a hold of her chin when she went to wipe her eyes and trying to draw her face up toward her. Sonata whimpered and tried to pull away at her touch. "Look at me." She repeated, a bit more firmly. Sonata ceased her resistance and turned her tear-streaked face up to look at her. "You're not a monster, Sonata," Fluttershy said, as though she were simply giving the answer to a math problem. Sonata's jaw dropped.

"H-how can you say that, after everything I just told you? After everything I did to you?" She cried. Fluttershy shook her head.

"You are not a monster," She repeated firmly, "and I'll go to my own grave saying that. Do you want to know why?" Sonata said nothing but managed to silence her own crying enough to listen. "Because a monster wouldn't be feeling the way you do now. A monster doesn't care about who it hurts no matter what. A monster doesn't have the heart to feel any kind of sorrow for the awful things it does. If a monster even thinks to say sorry, it doesn't mean a single word that comes out of its maw. But you do have that. I can see it when I look at you now. You're hurting so badly, because of the guilt you feel about what you did, and the very fact that you feel that way proves that you're not a monster. I don't know what it is those gems did to you, I'm still trying to figure this magic thing out myself, but whatever it did, it's gone, and all that remains is the real you." She took Sonata's hands in hers again and squeezed them tight.

"Everyone deserves a second chance if they're willing to change for the better. And if you ask me, nothing anyone does ever makes them unworthy of kindness. You're no exception." Sonata looked back at her with eyes now filled with hope alongside the sadness.

"Y-you... f-forgive me?" She whimpered. Fluttershy smiled.

"I forgave you a long time ago." She said. The dam that had been temporarily stopped up burst open again, fresh tears pouring down Sonata's face. But, these were not just tears of remorse, but also tears of relief, relief of a huge weight finally being lifted off of her shoulders. Sonata threw herself into Fluttershy's embrace, burying her head into her shoulders and sobbing as the feeling of freedom filled her, her pain pouring out of her and running down her cheeks until her heart finally began to feel whole again. Fluttershy hugged her tightly and rubbed her back, allowing her all the time she needed to let her emotions out.

She didn't know how long they were there for, but finally, Sonata was able to stop crying and put a smile on her face.

"How do you feel now?" Fluttershy asked.

"B-better," Sonata said, wiping her face. Fluttershy smiled and gave her another hug, which Sonata gladly returned.

"You know, my friends and I are going to be having our monthly get-together this weekend. We'll be going to the mall to spend time with each other, and we'll be having a sleepover at Twilight's house. I'm sure the girls would love to have you join us. Do you want to?" Sonata's smile faded into a look of uncertainty. Sure, Fluttershy and maybe Rainbow Dash were one thing, but the rest of them?

"I.. I'm not sure..." She said. Fluttershy put a hand on her shoulder.

"Sonata, if there's one thing all of us have learned lately, it's just how powerful friendship is. It's more than just a feeling, it's a powerful thing in its own right. It binds people who truly care about each other together, and more importantly, it can heal. It healed Sunset, it healed Twilight, and I know it can heal you and your sisters. All of us want to share that with you if you're willing to accept it. Please, will you let us share it with you?" Fluttershy looked at her with her turquoise eyes filled with hope. Like before, her eyes shone with a sincerity Sonata couldn't have hoped to ever see. Then, right there, Sonata knew she couldn't refuse.

"O-OK." She said with a smile. Fluttershy beamed and brought her into one last hug before she finally caught a look at the wall clock.

"Oh dear! It's almost eleven! I completely lost track of time. I'll definitely have some explaining to do when I get home." Fluttershy fretted.

"I'm sure they'll understand." Fluttershy smiled and nodded.

"You'd best get home, too. You'll probably be exhausted after today." She said to her newfound friend. Sonata nodded. "One of us will come to pick you up tomorrow if all things work out." The two of them exited the shelter and took a deep breath of the night air. "Good night, Sonata, and sweet dreams." She said. Sonata gave her the biggest hug she could give.

"Good night, Fluttershy... and thank you, for everything." Fluttershy smiled and waved goodbye before getting into her hybrid and driving off for home.

Sonata didn't really pay attention to her walk home, going by memory alone. She felt lighter than she ever had before. Though some pain and guilt remained, most of it had been replaced by a newfound sense of hope. Reaching her apartment, she took her key out and quietly turnd the lock before entering. Locking back up, she made a beeline for her room, changed into some pajamas and slid into bed.

For the rest of the night, she slept with a small, peaceful smile on her face.