• Published 10th Apr 2017
  • 1,072 Views, 16 Comments

Flutterphobia - JesterOfDestiny



Pinkie Pie is forced to reconsider her fear of spiders.

  • ...
0
 16
 1,072

Chapter 1 - Pinkie's Fear

A pink pony was trotting along the sunlit road. That pink pony was of course Pinkie Pie, with Gummy holding onto her tail. She was going to Fluttershy’s cottage for a visit. She knocked on the door with her hoof.

“Hey, Fluttershy!” She talked towards the door with great enthusiasm. “Are you ready?”

The door’s upper half opened up, but it wasn’t Fluttershy who opened it. Discord leered through the opening. With a glum expression, he looked at her.

“Oh, Pinkie Pie!” He said. “You must be here for Fluttershy’s new batch of alligators.”

“Yes!” Pinkie said with even more enthusiasm. “I’m sure we’ll find Gummy’s parents this time.”

“Oh, yes, yes.” Discord rubbed his beard. “Well, Fluttershy isn’t home right now.”

“She isn’t? Where is she?”

“She’s in town, helping some ponies with a spider infestation of sorts.”

Pinkie looked worried. “Spider infestation?” She asked with a nervous smile.

“Oh, yes! There was a sudden influx of spiders in Ponyville today and you know how ponies can act around spiders.”

Pinkie laughed nervously. “Oh yeah! I better not hurry her then. That does sound terribly important.”

“Why don’t you come in Pinkie?” Discord said in a sudden surge of friendliness. “I’m sure it won’t take long.” He opened the lower half of the door.

Pinkie stood there for a second. “There aren’t any spiders around here, right?” She asked.

“I don’t think so.” Discord answered unsurely. “I’m sure they’re resting somewhere else right now. Even Fuzzy Legs is out and about.”

“Great!” Pinkie felt much more comfortable coming in. “Then I’ll just wait for her right here.”

She stepped in and put Gummy down onto the couch, then peered out the window, looking for the alligators, Gummy’s potential parents. She saw a few of them resting under the shadow of a tree, in a tiny pool of mud. Pinkie pushed Gummy up to the window.

“Look Gummy! Do you recognize any of them?”

Gummy responded with his usual blank stare. He did start wagging his tail slightly.

“Oh, I know.” Pinkie continued. “It must be so exciting to see your kind.”

“And I’m excited too.” A gentle voice could be heard from the door. It was of course Fluttershy, as she finally got back from cleaning ponies’ homes from spiders.

“Fluttershy, you’re back!” Pinkie yelled with enthusiasm, but her enthusiasm quickly faded when she saw that Fluttershy was covered in spiders.

“How did the clean-up go?” Discord asked.

“It went fine.” Fluttershy replied. “Although it was bit annoying to deal with the spooked ponies.”

“Did they destroy something again?” Discord asked in amusement.

“Just the sort of things some ponies believe about these adorable animals. One of them was afraid that the spider would crawl inside them and lay its eggs under their skin. I mean, where do they get all these ridiculous beliefs from?!”

Discord chuckled at Fluttershy’s tiny rant. “I agree. That is absolutely ridiculous!”

“And they can be so mean to them. Could you believe the way they talked to me for daring to touch the spiders?”

“Yes, well, you saved the spiders from those nasty arachnophobes.” He winked, then pointed to Pinkie. “Look, who’s here to reunite an alligator family!”

Only then did they see Pinkie’s face distorted by fear.

“Uh, Pinkie?” Fluttershy said with worry and walked towards Pinkie, the spiders still dangling from her mane. “Is everything alright?”

“Get away from me!” Pinkie screamed in fright and took a flamethrower out of her mane.

“Pinkie, what are you doing?!” Fluttershy asked her, with almost as much fright as Pinkie Pie had.

Pinkie stopped for a moment to realize what she was just about to do. She looked at the dangerous tool she was holding in her hoofs. Discord put a paw on the weapon’s barrel and pushed it down on the ground. Pinkie only responded with a nervous giggle.

“What has gone into you?” Fluttershy asked her in great concern.

“I’m pretty sure we’ve talked about this before.” Pinkie said, while stuffing the flamethrower back into her mane. “I’m terrified of spiders.”

“Oh, right.” Fluttershy remembered that they did have a talk about this.

“You?” Discord said in disbelief, as the information was new to him. “You of all ponies, are afraid of spiders? What happened to ‘giggle at the ghosties’?”

“Well you see,” Pinkie was bringing up the story of her phobia, “when I was a little filly, I was eating a delicious sandwich and only after a few bites did I see the enormous spider that was crawling all over my sandwich.”

Discord, of course wasn’t impressed with the story. “That’s it!?” He yelled in annoyance. “You almost incinerated both of us, because somebody stepped on you sandwich?!”

“Hey, that spider was huge and very hairy!” Pinkie tried to defend herself.

“He might have been a bit blunt,” Fluttershy stepped in, “but he has point. You really have to stop being so jumpy about spiders, before you harm someone.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Pinkie admitted.

“Tell you what?” Fluttershy continued. “Why don’t you come back tomorrow, so we can deal with this phobia of yours? The alligators won’t be going anywhere.”

“Good idea!” Pinkie said in excitement, which quickly faded again. “Now, could you step away from the door a bit? I’m trying to run away.”

Fluttershy stepped away from the door and as such, Pinkie was running outside, with Gummy flailing along by her tail. Discord rolled his eyes, but Fluttershy was hopeful about her. She then went back inside, so she could find a safe corner for her new arachnid friends.