• Published 22nd Mar 2017
  • 855 Views, 23 Comments

Frame of Mind - CCpone



A chance visit with Luna leads Ari to confront what it means to be human.

  • ...
7
 23
 855

Ch - 6

Ch-6:
Flipping the Coin

Life doesn’t always go the way you want it. People you knew change and the world you built up knowing and loving will eventually crumble down. This is the fact of life, but also holds the lightest of memories. For in these dark times we wander, hope sparks, momentum is gained, and a push is received to get you running instead of walking.

It will hurt, it will be hard, but in the end, things will always level out. Just like a fisherman, the seas may be rough but the rewards are great. Change is inevitable, and one cannot expect to live their entire life in peace.

Out of all the things I know, this one I’ve come to accept. The cynical part of me thrives off these parts of life. Through tough times I have come, but I will continue to move on forwards in hope of a brighter day. With that, the cynical part of me fades and optimism is created.

The hard part is remembering, that one day -maybe not in the near future- everything will be alright.

***

David, that was his name. Funny how much your perspective changes when you figure out someone’s name. I’m sure David didn’t notice, but I owed him a lot. He gave me the chance to meet Luna. While he didn’t know that would happen when asking me to do it, it still happened, and that’s all that really matters in the end anyways.

Cruising on my bike I let my legs take a break as I simply stopped pedaling. The downhill slope to my apartment was always the best part of the night. I could just sit back, relax and watch as the beautiful colors of the shops lining the streets race passed me.

Most of the time, I would often find myself letting go of the handlebars and letting the road take me. Was it safe doing so? Hell no, but it felt good to let something else take control for a while. Especially when I’ve been working the night shift.

Passing by the local post office I place my hands back onto the handlebars. This was where the easy part ended and the normal part began. The hill no longer flowed downwards and I had to start pedaling again. Which at this point didn’t really matter seeing as my apartment was relatively close to the post office to begin with.

Turning on the street towards my apartment complex, I come to witness one of my worst fears imaginable. The apartment building was lit up with a multitude of blue and red lights as three cop cars sat at the front of the building. There were no sirens, just flashing lights that told the story I didn’t want to be told.

Still holding hope that Luna didn’t get figured out, I pedaled my bike up to the front of the apartment. Not even caring about the bike at this point I tossed it to the side as I ran up to the main lobby. Not many people were here due to the time of day allowing me to quickly enter the elevator.

My mind was racing as I pressed the button to my floor. I hoped to the high heavens that they were here for something else. Maybe there was a break in, that seems to happen a lot, or maybe some kind of assault in the hallways? I continued to think of more and more excuses instead of the one obvious one.

Reaching my floor with a small ding, I rush out the doors and turn in the hallway towards my apartment room. The moment I did so, my heart sank. Four cops were standing in front of my room with the door wide open. I couldn’t tell what was going on but they seemed rather contempt in just standing there.

Maybe they hadn’t found her just yet? Can I still salvage this? I questioned as I walk up casually to the officers. One of them saw me coming down the hall and signaled to his buddy.

“Why are you guys in my apartment?” I ask trying to act as clueless as I could.

This sadly was a mistake, the moment I said that the second cop walked around and grabbed my arm. Within seconds I was pushed up against the wall with handcuffs attached to my wrists. “You’re under arrest for harboring an illegal citizen in your apartment.”

The jig was up, they knew everything. I was so shocked, this was all happening so fast. As the officer read me my rights, I tilted my head to the right towards my apartment's door. Coming out was Luna with a furious look on her face as she attempted to remove the bindings. Even though she knew they were too strong she kept fighting.

If this is what happens to aliens in our world, our future doesn’t look so bright. I thought to myself as I continued to look towards her. This would probably be the last time I saw her.

Once again, she struggled with the bindings, yelling something at the officers that had her in cuffs. I couldn’t hear anything she was saying my mind was too much of a mess. After her yelling one of the officers pointed towards me. Luna followed his finger with her eyes and they soon landed on me. Her struggling instantly vanished as she looked upon me bound and pressed up against the wall by an officer.

She then mouthed something towards me, which I assumed would be something along the lines of ‘sorry‘. I, however, kept still, any attempt at fighting right now would be a waste. I always have the chance in getting away in court, however, that was just a faded dream. If anything, I would probably face time for my actions.

Funny how this all works out, I knew that this could’ve happen I just never though they were smart enough to figure it out. I guess the law always finds a way to make your life a living hell.

Continuing to look at Luna I noticed a second person come out the door. My blood ran cold as I saw the face of my old friend Alex. He wasn’t being held down or anything, it almost looked as if he was the one that gave them the tip.

When the officers did nothing else to him he simply walked passed me with an emotionless look in his eyes. This was the last straw, I couldn’t hold back my anger anymore as I yelled, “You fucking bastard Alex! You promised, I gave you that god damned apartment and now you’re just going to throw me to the dogs!”

Tears were streaming down my face now as he simply opened his apartment door and went inside. The memories of me and him playing in elementary school were thrown into the fire which was my anger. The loss of a friend and the birth of an enemy was too much for me to handle as I started to cry. What were all those years worth to him?

Was it for money? Was he really that fucking desperate for cash that he would toss his old friend aside? Whatever the reason was, it didn’t matter. To me friends were everything, they were the ones that picked you up when you were down. Not someone that tattles on you and walks away without a word.

I had enough, if this was what life was like then I didn’t want to be a part of it. They could take me away, throw me in prison I don’t care anymore.

The policeman that had me handcuffed, pushed against my back causing me to turn towards the elevator. Seeing what he wanted me to do I slowly walked with him to the elevator. Luna was left behind me as the two of us made our way. People started opening their doors in the hallway, probably hearing my yells moments ago.

Some looked at me with curiosity in their eyes, while others had disgust. They didn’t even know what I did and they were already looking at me like someone else. Hell, I even knew some of these people. I remember having little conversations with them in the halls. Yet it seemed that they were the ones that were disgusted the most.

Before long the officer was tossing me in the back of his car. The seats made of plastic with a little grove in the back so your hand can still be tied. Looking back at the apartment I could see Luna moved along as well. However, she was escorted to the front of another police car instead of the back.

Thankfully, this probably meant good things for Luna. They were not taking her in to get arrested, but probably transporting her to somewhere else. After all, she is an alien and I bet there are a lot of government officials that would want to have a talk with her. It felt good knowing that she wasn’t going to be locked up. I knew it from the start that they would never do that to her, but to see it eased the pain of what was likely to become of me.

The car suddenly jerked forwards causing me to be thrown back in the police car. I guess they don’t care what happens to you in the back of a police car. Either that or he just forgot to put one on me.

It didn’t take long for the car to reach the station. One other police car pulled in with us, but sadly the one holding Luna was nowhere to be found. Letting out a sigh I sit patiently as the officer exits the car and comes around. Opening the door, he forcefully pulls me out of the car and escorts me into the building.

Now I have never been in a police station before, so it came to a surprise that they were actually quite nice. In the main lobby, there was a desk in the middle with bullet proof glass around it with a couple of seats for people that are waiting. Obviously, at this time of day, the place was pretty empty, any if all officers were either asleep or out on duty. The only people walking around seemed to be dispatches or janitors.

Following a series of shoves, the cop leads me to a corridor where multiple cells line the walls. No one else was in any of the other cells which were really depressing. I knew that these were just holding cells, but did they really have to use this much precaution for someone that was just taking care of someone else. Nevertheless, they were cops and I’m pretty sure they run into a lot of surprises.

Once the cell is closed and the officer leaves I am left to my own thoughts. The cell I was currently in really had nothing to it, all that was in here was a bench and a toilet.

Having nothing to do in here other than rest, I laid down on the bench and attempted to get some shuteye, keyword here ‘attempted’. The minute my eyes shut closed I heard a strangely familiar crackling sound. Opening my eyes I turn my head towards the source of the sound.

Right next to me was a similar white orb suspended in mid-air. Seeing this I immediately fall off the bench in surprise. Just like when Luna arrived the orb started to shoot out arcs of lightning. Not wanting to die this young I tipped over the bench and hid behind it.

I could hear the lightning as it came into contact with the bench. The lower half of it bursting into splinters. Looks like taking cover was the right course of action. Shaking my head out of my thoughts, the lightning stops.

Peeking my head over the half-destroyed bench I come to see a white mare that had the exact same features as Luna. I would like to say that I’m surprised but this sort of thing has now become the norm for me.

“Great another one of you guys, as if one wasn’t enough!” I exclaim taking myself completely out of cover.

The white mare looks over to me with relief in her eyes, “Ah, you must be Ari. Take my hoof,” the unknown white mare claims reaching out her hoof to me. When I don’t move she once again states, “This is a matter of time Ari. Take my hoof!”

“How the hell do you know my name?!” I half yell I must be going mad with all these ponies showing up in my life.

The mare rolls her eyes, but that’s the extent of what she does as the two police officers barge into the hallway. Both of them look towards me then to the mystery mare. One of them is completely shocked, while the other one barges into the cell.

“NOW ARI!” The mare yells causing me to step out of my stupor and grab her hoof. The moment my hand comes into contact with hers I feel like I’m being pulled towards her. The feeling doesn’t stop, instead, it continues to get worse. Soon I feel like I’m being stretched like a Laffy Taffy all the while spinning around wildly.

The sensation only lasted but a moment before I’m thrown against the floor. The impact left me dizzy as well of a bit nauseous. Attempting to regain my composure I try to get to my feet. The moment I stand up straight I can feel the bile in my stomach start to rise. Acting fast I look around for something, anything, to contain what I’m about to spew.

Thankfully, I spot a nearby potted plant and run towards it. I arrive with not a second to lose as I proceed to evacuate everything within my stomach. I’m sure that the plant is going to just love that.

After getting rid of the main problem I look around the room I found myself in. My head still spinning causing me to have a hard time seeing anything. Nevertheless, it still looked rather elegant.

I could see rich colors of red hued with gold trimmings, pearl white flooring and pillars all displaying the shattered light that filtered through magnificent windows built in a mosaic fashion. Doing a couple spins around the room I can hear a familiar voice call out to me.

“Ari!” Came the voice of Luna.

Having so much done in the last hour or so my mind only registered the voice rather than what it was saying. Turning around slowly I sway in my spot, a wave a euphoria hitting my brain. I was no longer in control of my body as Luna trotted up to me. Her face a mixture of sorrow and relief.

“Did you know you could place your straw in the tab of a soda can to stop it from rising?” Yep, I was totally out of it. As if to push that fact further my swaying only got worse. Eventually, it got to a point where I lost balance and blacked out.

***

Opening my eyes, I come to see a ceiling that was not my own. The course texture I was used to was now replaced by a smooth slab of marble. Who would have an entire roof made out of marble? I have no idea.

Letting out a small grown I slowly sit up in the bed I found myself in. Was all that a dream? Or did it really happen? I ask myself as I look around the room. As far as bedrooms go this one was pretty huge. The checkered tiles accented the furnishings nicely. A lowly dresser lay in the corner next to a spacious writing desk, the doors leading in and out of this room were all oak, and lastly that one pony with golden armor seemed to match the color of the walls.

Rewinding myself there I look back to the armor wearing pony. He held a halberd at his side as his golden armor shined in the sun's rays that cascaded down from the windows. Seeing me awake he banged on the oaken door tree times before once again staring at me. He has good training, I’ll give him that. The police officers back home seemed rather stunned by the presence of another sentient race.

“Uh, hi?” I asked out loud not wanting to continue this rather awkward moment.

The guard sadly didn’t reply in any way shape or form. He just sort of stood there looking at me with an intense stare. It was almost as awkward as when Luna was staring at me when I was making my cup of joe.

Utterly confused on what was going on and why there was another pony here; I slowly got up and out of the bed. The guard’s eyes were like the Mona Lisa always watching never leaving. It was quite creepy the longer he does it.

Shaking my head, I head over to the door. This was apparently the wrong move as the pony angled his halberd so it blocked my path. “The Princesses require you to stay in your room. They have been notified that you are awake.”

Princesses? Am I really that important? And shouldn’t the king and queen see me rather than the princesses? I mean I’m no political genius here, but if a meeting with royalty is required shouldn’t you just go all out? Brushing those thoughts aside I nod to the pony and walk back to the other door.

The guard doesn’t do anything to stop me from opening it, so I do. On the other side lay a rather luxurious bathroom. The tub was big enough for more than one person. Deciding that it was not worth exploring at the moment I walked over to the window. I had no Idea where I was, so maybe this would help be regain my bearings.

The moment I looked out the window I frowned. I was apparently inside of a castle of some sorts. Outside the walls, I could see a sprawling city with little dots which I assumed were people walking around. Funny, I don’t recall ever hearing about a place like this. It kind of reminded me of some fairy tails that my mother used to read to me.

Before I could look any closer I heard the door to the room open. The guard announcing their entrance, “The princesses have arrived,”

Turning around I come to see four ponies, one of which was Luna while another was the mystery mare I saw while in the cell. The other two I have never seen before. They all had the similar appearance, one horn, and two wings. This must be the norm for these ponies, yet why were they here on earth? That’s when it finally clicked in my mind. Those were not ponies roaming the streets.

“Where am I?” Was the first question that came out of my mouth. The question seemingly coming out without my input on the matter.

Luna stepped further into the room, “Welcome Ari to Equestria.”

I looked at her then to the other ponies, then back to her, “What!?” I half yelled.

“We know this might be quite difficult for you to come to terms with. Seeing as your kind does not have the ability to use magic.” The white mare stated, “But I assure you, you are safe now.” Her voice was soothing to hear, but my mind was still buzzing with questions.

“Who are you all?” I asked, putting on a confused expression.

The white mare looked towards a smaller purple one. Seeing the white mare's gaze the purple one stepped forward, “I’m Twilight, princess of magic,” She then pointed over to a pink one, “This is cadence, princess of love,” Moving over she gestured to Luna and the White mare, “And these are Princess Luna, goddess of the Moon and Princess Celestia, goddess of the Sun.”

My eyes widened at that last part, “Wow, wow, wow hold it a moment here. Did you just say ‘Princess Luna’” I question changing my glance from Twilight to Luna. She smiled sheepishly at me as I did so. “You must be mistaken she’s told me she’s just a normal pony that lives with her family.”

Cadence looks at Luna before responding, “I don’t understand why Luna would say that, but here she is the princess of the moon.”

“Surprise!” Luna exclaimed causing the other three mares to look at her. She still had her sheepish smile on as her wings started to twitch.

“You didn’t tell him!” Twilight exclaimed. She wore the surprised expression really well.

I, however, was trying to come to terms with this. She was a princess? When she was on earth she acted, nothing like one? Why lie about something like this? The questions swirled around my head my shock quickly turning to anger as I remember Alex. Could I really trust someone else seeing as my own best friend backstabbed me?

“So, what else did you lie to me about?” I interrogated Luna causing her to take a few steps back.

“It was the only one we swear,” Luna stated as she stumbled with her own words. She looked towards the other ponies for help. Sadly, they stepped in and pushed me away from her. This confused me further as none of them were even close enough to me in order to push me back.

I go the answer soon enough as I say the horn of Celestia glow a bright gold before the doors shut closed behind them. The one guard that was in the room seemingly disappeared. My eyes grew at the sight of magic. I never really truly believed it, I always thought that maybe some type of phenomena caused Luna to appear in my world.

“That’s quite enough Ari,” Celestia stated.

That statement only seemed to grind my gears, “Like you would know, I just had my best friend stab me in the back for nothing more than money. Luna already lied once when I first met her, how do I know she’s not lying right now? Or maybe this whole thing is a setup?” I was really starting to get pissed off, the event of today just seemed to get worse and worse.

All four of the princesses seemed to visibly wince at my words, “It doesn’t even matter now does it. My life is ruined. Back home I’m a criminal.” I stated holding back my emotions. “You know how much it hurts to work so hard for something and for it all to be whisked away like it was nothing?” I questioned.

No one answered it was so quite you could hear a penny drop. Then came the question that I knew was gonna come, “You want us to send you back?” came Celestia’s voice.

I looked at her with a straight face, “What would you do in my situation? Go back to the world that hates you or abandon your family and friends?”

“I see that you need some time alone, we will leave you to your own thoughts,” said Celestia as she and the rest of the ponies left. When the door shut closed I fell to my knees and cried for the first time in a long time. My life was in shambles. If rock bottom existed this would be it.

Even if this place was the utopia Luna described, would it be worth never seeing my family again? The answer was quite clear now that I was a criminal, but that didn’t dull the pain. Sitting there I leaned against the edge of the bed, my watery eyes locked onto a small point on the wall. A couple minutes passed before I finally calmed down and the door opened once again.

I did not move my eyes, I just kept staring at the wall. Maybe this was all just a dream? I thought as I felt someone sit beside me.

“You know, someone once told me that the moments you want to be alone, are the moments you need someone the most,” came the voice of Luna, “I know I’m probably the last pony you want to see right now, but I want you to know that when you’re in Equestria you can come and ask me anything.”

I couldn’t help but let out a little chuckle, “Get your own god damned lines.”

“I would if I could think of a better one, but you know me, just useless little pony,” She commented wrapping her left wing around me.

“Nothing but a couple of zero’s,” I chuckled again, “So what now? Here, I have no choice but to trust you. You’re the only one I know,” I stated with a long look in my eyes, “I now finally get what it was like for you.”

Luna contemplated this for a while, “Well if you stay here I’m sure my sister won't force you to stay in the castle. Unlike your world, ponies are quite accustomed to new species.” Luna lectured.

“By the way you described it on earth, it seems Equestria is pretty much a utopia,” I comment as my stomach lets out a decent sized rumble. Luna looks to me with one of her eyebrows raised before a smile graces her lips.

“Either way we can discuss this while we get some food,” Luna states recovering her wing and getting to her hooves. Having nothing better to do, I get up as well and follow her lead.

Exiting the room, I find myself in a long hallway. Multiple corridors seem to branch off this one creating a labyrinth of halls. I could easily see myself getting lost here, maybe that what their design intended. It would at least confuse invaders for a while.

Following closely behind Luna as she expertly navigates the halls. I could see ponies of all sorts roaming the halls as well. Some take glances at me, but other then that its nothing to special. It looks like Luna was right with the ponies here being accepting of other races. A breath of fresh air if I’ve ever had one.

Within no time at all, the two of us reach what looks to be a little restaurant within the castle. Multiple ponies are seated around tables as they chat with one and another. Some stop and bowed to the Luna as we walk past and towards an empty seat, one of which we promptly sit down in. Now mind you these are not even seats, they’re just cushions laid on the ground.

I can’t even get a word out before the waiter comes. It was really weird seeing a pony wear clothes but I guess I’ll just have to get used to it, “May I take your orders?” He asks on a very regal tone. It was quite nerve racking being in a place that just screamed formality, seeing as I was only wearing work clothes. The logo S-Market doesn’t really scream professionalism.

To me it felt weird to just jump from all the chaos to having dinner with a princess. My mind was still trying to wrap my head around all of this. Yet, every-time I tried to peg this a reality my mind refused it, saying that I was dreaming or hallucinating it all. Either way, what ever was happening right now I continued to go with the flow.

“Just a simple fruit salad will do nicely,” Luna comments, I myself just order what she was having. Hell, I didn’t even have a menu to look at. The waiter nods at the two of us and goes his separate way.

Looking over to Luna I comment, “fancy place you have here.”

“I usually dine at the main hall with my sister, but I have gotten bored of the silence of being alone,” Luna stated as she levitates one of the forks to the other side of the table. My eyes lock onto it with amazement. This is what she was talking about back on Earth, real magic.

Luna sees my stare and lets out a little giggle, “I see we have a lot ahead of us in terms of integration goes.”

My eyes finally leave the fork, “So you really are a Princess, never thought I would befriend one.” I state attempting to get back in the swing of things. Sadly, with the event unfolding all around me, It’s kind of hard to remain calm and collective. I mean, there’s a pony flying from table to table delivering meals! How the hell do you not instinctively look at that.

“Never thought I would befriend a commoner,” Luna states with a light laugh. I just look at her with a ‘really’ expression. By the time, she’s done with her laughing the waiter comes back with our salads. I’m not really one for eating salads, but on the other hand, I was really fucking hungry.

The meal goes by relatively quickly, both I and Luna seem to finish our meals at the same time. “It’s funny because you don’t really act like a princess,” I state placing my fork down before leaning back on the cushion.

“Maybe not around you, but in night court I assure you that I take my position seriously,” Luna replies.

“What makes me so special?” I ask, “Why keep your position as a princess hidden from me? I really don’t see the reason?”

Luna looks down at her empty plate with a sad expression upon her muzzle, “It’s a long story, but ponies here don’t really accept me. They judge me for my past, it was nice having someone I could talk to that didn’t peg me as royalty or saw me for who I was, not who I am.”

My mind was screaming for me to prod further, to ask about her past, but I knew better than to open up old wounds.

“Hey, I’m supposed to be the sad one now not you,” I stated. This got a small smile to form on Luna’s lips.

Looking up at me she seemed to forget about what she was thinking. Since our meals were done, Luna got up and lead me back into the hallway. My life now would forever be different, but that didn’t mean that it was going to be any less exciting.