• Published 19th Mar 2017
  • 1,373 Views, 113 Comments

A Certain Magical Friendship - MIRROR_NOISE - Sora2455



The worlds of 'A Certain Magical Index' and 'Friendship is Magic' come in contact once again. Together, they will have to answer the question: are clones people?

  • ...
2
 113
 1,373

Tears begin to fall - consequences

In the end, the decision was made to not wait around for Anti-Skill to show up.

It wasn’t something that anybody said out loud or anything. In fact, each group had a different reason for wanting to go.

The minute that Uiharu had tried to report the incident, she had suddenly found her signal jammed. Even the greatest hacker couldn’t un-clog the airwaves, so she wanted to retreat to a landline connection. Saten was sticking with her, nerves completely shot.

Touma wanted to get Index out of there. If the authorities arrived and tried to ID everyone, they’d shortly realise that she wasn’t supposed to be in the city. He himself had taken a gut-shot courtesy of Accelerator, but that reckless boy decided that the medical fees weren’t worth having it checked out.

Kuroko’s injuries were more severe, and Misaka’s pockets much deeper, so those two were going to the hospital.

For Twilight, it was both of the above reasons. She needed to leave the City of Science before being outed as an outsider, and she needed to get Pinkie and Applejack to a hospital. She carried them off on ‘stretchers’ made of purple forcefields.

Nobody looked at the unconscious Accelerator during this, or at the few remains of 9748 that were still visible. Despite having won that fight, not a single member of the group felt like a victor. Still, what were they going to do? Kick him while he was down? None of them were that kind of person.

Copying Twilight, Misaka made a ‘stretcher’ out of Iron Sand, carrying Kuroko behind her as gently as she could manage. She might be a perverted pain-in-the-neck, but she was also a true friend when it counted.

And so, the party split up. None of them could think of anything to say to each other.


It wasn’t until Misaka was sitting in the hospital, waiting for the frog-faced doctor to finish bandaging Kuroko’s hands, that the gun-wielding men in Anti-Skill uniforms came.

Misaka had let her guard down in relief at the news that Kuroko’s hands weren’t permanently damaged, and the men were able to properly surround her before she could jump to her feet. The sensation of a gun barrel pressed into her back dissuaded her from trying anything hasty.

<Misaka Mikoto?> The man before her demanded.

<Excuse me.> The frog-faced doctor interjected (though not looking up from his work). <I’ll thank you not to harass people in a hospital.>

<Yeah, that’s me.> Misaka said. <What do you want?>

The man who’d demanded her name nodded to someone behind her. Misaka was shocked to feel her arms pulled behind her and handcuffs placed onto her wrists. <Hey…!>

<Misaka Mikoto.> The man said, holding up a recording device. <We have received reports of you assaulting the first-ranked Level 5 esper, Accelerator. Can you confirm your movements tonight?>

<What?! I mean, yeah I did but –!>

It was the wrong thing to say, and Misaka knew it the instant the words left her mouth. The man before her nodded, interrupting her attempt to explain. <Suspect has confessed to the crime. Due to the severity of her actions, we will be placing her and all known associates under house arrest while a proper investigation can determine the full extent of the matter.>

<I was defending my friends from him! He’d already killed a clone of mine!>

<A clone? How interesting. Human cloning is against international law, so that’s a very serious claim to make. You have proof of this, naturally?>

<Proof?! How about the actual crime scene, you two-bit investigators, or do you not know a corpse when you see one?!>

<Watch your words, miss. As it happens, our unit is equipped with advanced olfactory sensors. The only blood spilled at that crime scene was the victim’s and your friend’s.>

Misaka’s mouth fell open. <What?>

<The amount of property damage – which, I must add, we are considering holding you responsible for – is certainly enough to hide a cadaver, but it would not mask their smell.>

Misaka’s brain spun, trying desperately to make sense of this new information. <Kuroko – Uiharu! They’re both Judgement officers – they must have taken recordings…!>

<Uiharu Kazari’s portable gaming unit has already been confiscated.> The man turned his head, and Misaka followed his gaze. Another man was placing Kuroko’s phone into an evidence bag. <Rest assured, we will be examining both devices thoroughly.>

Misaka’s mouth worked up and down, her brain struggling to think of what to say. No… no, this is all wrong…!

<Doctor.> The man addressed the frog-faced doctor, who had now finished bandaging Kuroko’s hands and was standing up as though to shield her. <Is Kuroko Shirai safe to move?>

<Technically, yes.> The Doctor allowed. <However, I would ask that you cause her no undue stress. It will be a difficult enough recovering without her worrying about false allegations.>

The man let out a bark of laughter, his professional persona slipping for a moment. <Heh! You got balls saying that to my face, doc.> Then his eyes focused, and the mask went back up. <Rest assured they will both be allowed due process.>

He nodded at his subordinates, and two of them grabbed Misaka by the arms as two more fetched a stretcher to carry the still-unconscious Kuroko.


As his subordinates herded the spluttering #3 into the van lined with AIM Jammer, Kihara Amata resisted the urge to scratch under ‘his’ uniform. Man, is Anti-Skill’s equipment really that much lower-spec, or did whoever last wash this really screw it up? Eh, whatever.

The Anti-Skill investigation was real… or at least, it would be after the city’s higher-ups finished faking the paperwork for it. Before that happened, it was down to Hound Dog to sniff out all the evidence and destroy it.

Damn it, Aleister – give us something fun to do next time.


By the time Twilight was half-way out of the Everfree, Applejack started to rouse.

“Ohhh… mah achin’ head...”

“Oh, good.” Twilight said, sounding more drained then happy. “You’re awake.”

Applejack stretched her head back, noticing that she was lying on a forcefield that Twilight was pulling behind her. Her earth pony pride asserting itself full force, she rolled off onto the ground before properly checking on her condition, and promptly collapsed to the ground as her legs folded under her weight. “Oof!”

Twilight paused and looked back, but Applejack forced herself to her hooves before she could say anything. “Ah’m okay!”

Twilight gave her a tired look, before shaking her head and turning back to the road. Applejack blinked, then galloped to catch up.

For a moment, they trotted together in silence. Out of the corner of her eye, Applejack saw Pinkie Pie floating behind them on the same kind of magic that she had been.

“We didn’t win, did we?” Applejack eventually asked.

“She’s gone, Applejack.” Twilight said, staring off into the distance. “The stallion, he just…!” She sniffed. “We’ll never see her again. A-and you know the worst thing?”

Applejack didn’t say anything, just watching as the corners of Twilight’s eyes started to water.

“The worst part is… the only reason he could do that… is because I failed to do it first!” Quiet tears began to stream down Twilight’s face.

Applejack kept her trap shut all the way to the edge of town, opening it only when Twilight stopped walking and started staring at the ground.

“What’cha gonna do now, Sugercube?” Applejack asked softly.

“I can’t stay.” Twilight said, her voice shaking.

“Sugercube –”

“I don’t… I’ve caused too much trouble for everyone, I can’t –”

“T’aint us ah’m worried about, Sugercube!” Applejack jumped in front of Twilight, staring her in the eyes. She saw sadness, regret, and just a hint of panic.

Neither of them said anything for a moment, before Twilight broke eye contact to look down. With a soft -pop-, the forcefield holding Pinkie aloft failed, causing the mare to drop to the ground. Twilight immediately started panicking. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry…!”

Applejack dashed around Twilight to check that Pinkie was okay. The mare still hadn’t woken up, which Applejack took as a bad sign. She bit her bottom lip, her eyes dashing back and forth between Pinkie and Twilight.

“I didn’t… I didn’t mean to, I just… I couldn’t keep it going any longer…!” Twilight was starting to hyperventilate.

Applejack grimaced, but hoisted Pinkie over her back and turned to face the hospital. “Go to bed, Twi’. I promise yah, things will seem better in the morning.”

Twilight said nothing, simply continuing to cry as she watched Applejack trot off as gently as she could manage.


<****ing hell, nothing gives those researchers pause, does it?>

<It took Tree Diagram only a few minutes to finish recalculating the steps for Level 6 Shift, Misaka explains. The outside interference did distort some of your progress, but the next few battles will be used to correct for that.>

<Tch.>

Accelerator stared wearily at the Sister, who was standing on the other side of the roof from him. A nose splint was attached to his face, the only sign of the hasty treatment the project had given him.

Misaka 9749 stared back evenly, her eyes concealed by a pair of googles that covered the top half of her face. Two horizontal strips on the goggles glowed faintly in the dark. It was a pretty stupid feature for night vision googles, Accelerator thought.

Every part of these battles was calculated out down to the second, so if they got there early, Accelerator and the Sister slated to die would often find themselves just… waiting for it to start.

A lot of the times Accelerator would try to get a rise out of the Sister. He’d explain how painfully and slowly he was going to kill them, and they would just stand there with that damn blank expression, and ask in that damn monotone voice what the point of telling her that was when she was going to find out in a minute anyway.

They’d never shown any fear or hesitation. Never any doubt. Never shown the slightest hint of wanting to run away.

<Hey. Wind-up doll.>

<Yes, Misaka replies?>

Yeah, **** subtlety.

<Are you alive?>

<…Misaka is not sure she understands the question, Misaka responds after a thoughtful pause.>

<Tch!> Accelerator clenched his teeth. <Of course you ****ing don’t.>

<What do you mean, Misaka asks curiously? …where are you going, Misaka follows up, the experiment is due to start shortly? …Accelerator, Misaka calls out after you?>


“I still don’t like this, Shiny.”

Shining Armor, captain of the Equestrian Royal Guard, hurried to keep up with Cadence’s slightly longer stride. His special somepony had been frantic for 24 of the last 32 hours, and she still hadn’t completely calmed down, even though everything seemed to be resolved. “I dunno. If the princess wants her younger sister to move in with her, who am I to judge?”

“That’s not what I mean and you know it!” In a huff, Cadence lightly batted Shining’s head with a wing. “Okay, I get not wanting to cause a panic. I get not wanting to make ponies afraid of Aunt Luna. But I really can’t see how she thought this through! She didn’t tell anypony, Shiny! Not me, not you, nopony! Nopony knew what was going on except her, so when she got captured –!”

Shining Armor interrupted Cadence with a shrug. “I mean, if she had told me, I probably would have mobilised the whole guard and tried to batter her into submission. Er, Princess Luna, I mean.” He clarified hurriedly at the shocked expression on Cadence’s face. “Hospital visits for everypony, and it gets made obvious to all of Equestria that Princess Luna and Nightmare Moon are the same pony.”

Given that Nightmare Moon was usually equated to the Boogiemare, that would have killed any hope of re-integration into society. Now, that realisation would hopefully be delayed enough that ponies would give the newly reinstated princess a chance.

“It still feels wrong.” Cadence grumbled. “She spends weeks teaching me about responsibility, and then she pulls this?”

Yeah, but if it had been Twily up there, I probably would have tried an even worse plan to get her back.

Shining wrapped a foreleg around Cadence’s neck. “Well, if being with you has taught me anything, it’s that alicorns are ponies too.”

“Oh?” Cadence said in a dangerous tone of voice. “And what exactly do you mean by that?”

Shining Armor grinned. “Well for one thing, it means that you get cranky when you haven’t had –” a look of panic appeared on Cadence’s face “– your daily tummy rub!”

“Shining Armor, don’t you dare –!” Cadence said, beginning to back away from Shining too late. The captain of the guard jumped on Cadence, knocking her over, and began to relentlessly tickle the underside of her barrel with his hooves. She couldn’t help herself, and began howling with uncontrollable laughter.

The nearby serving staff of Canterlot Castle collectively blushed, and hurried past the all-too-common scene, professional enough to keep their thoughts on appropriate behaviour to themselves.


Later that night found Misaka face down in a pillow, stewing. Kuroko hovered over her nervously, wanting to help but unable to think of anything that could make light of her situation. She’d gone to give Misaka one of her special hugs earlier, but Misaka had shot her a look of such cold fury that she’d lost her nerve and backed off.

Instead, she was reduced to sitting on her own bed, twiddling her heavily-bandaged thumbs. She longed to get into contact with Uiharu, to put their heads together and uncover just what conspiracy had been levelled against them. Unfortunately, the Dorm Manager had confiscated all of their electronics, and Kuroko wouldn’t be surprised if their room was under radio surveillance.

Even if she hadn’t been lost in worry, there was no chance for Kuroko to notice the moment her own thoughts became locked inward, her expression going starry-eyed. She didn’t hear the knock at the door, nor see Misaka stir on the bed and give a muffled yell of <Go away!>

<Open this door, Misaka.> An incredibly annoying voice came through the door. <Or I’ll have Hokaze kick it down and leave you to explain why it’s broken.>

The grinding of Misaka’s teeth was audible even through the pillow. She lifted up a sparking hand and waved it, the door lock opening without her touch. Behind it stood the #5 level five esper, Shokuhou Misaki, and the second-in-command of their clique, a girl with her hair curled into ringlets.

Misaki strode into the apartment room like she owned it, the ringlet curl girl hovering behind her nervously.

Misaka rolled over and sat up to face the intruding pair, not bothering to ask how they had gotten in here when she was under house arrest. Misaki’s Ability of Mental Out would let her force anyone to obey her commands. Even, Misaka glanced at Kuroko, ones such as “ignore me” and “forget I was here”.

The ringlet curl girl slung a package down from her back, and to Misaka’s disbelieving eyes set up a collapsible table and two chairs, before also getting out a tea set and pouring out a cup for Misaki. She poured another one for Misaka before moving to stand next to the door, hands folded behind her back.

Misaki took a sip from her cup, apparently savouring the taste, before delicately placing it down in its saucer like a proper lady. <You’ve really screwed up this one, Misaka.>

Misaka snorted, shambling off of the bed to sit in the other chair. She glared at her tea cup like it had personally offended her.

<Though, I suppose I should also thank you.> Misaki added, swirling her tea around. <Your amateurish bumbling somehow actually got the project shut down.>

<You knew about this?!> Misaka’s gaze shot up to the other level five, and she half rose out of her chair before she properly parsed the second sentence. <Wait, it’s over?!>

<I knew they were cloning you off. I didn’t know they were being fed to the #1 as XP fodder, otherwise I would have shut it down myself.> Misaki sounded almost as disgusted with the idea as Misaka.

Misaka blinked in surprise.

<I don’t know what you said to him, but apparently the #1 just outright quit the project. When they tried to coerce him to stay, he took a chair leg and embedded it in the main project server. They had backups, obviously, but they got the message.>

Tension seeped out of Misaka’s body as she slumped back, her eyes dropping back down, and she began to idly flick the handle on her teacup. After a moment, she said <Thanks for telling me that, I guess.>

<That wasn’t why I came here.> Misaki snapped. <What were you thinking, trying to drag that mess into the light?>

It had been Kuroko that had tried to get Judgement involved, but Misaka answered the question as though it had been her. <To stop it?>

This time it was Misaki who snorted. <Did you ever take a moment to wonder who would have the funding-ability to organise a project like this? Human cloning is against international law, so the whole thing was obviously criminal even before they decided to slaughter them in the name of ‘science’.>

<…one of the major research facilities?> Misaka guessed.

<Try one of the city board members, at least.>

Misaka stared at Misaki, her eyes slowly widening as she began to realise just how much trouble she was in.

<You tried to drag their dirty dealings into the light for everyone to see.> Misaki took another sip of tea, slamming her cup into its saucer afterwards. <You’ll be lucky if house arrest is the worst they do.>

Misaka’s mouth worked for a moment, but no sound came out. Eventually, she managed a soft <But… how could they…?>

Misaki closed one eye and stared at Misaka as she took another sip of tea. Then she sighed, and softly placed the cup down. <You have a very high uniqueness-ability.>

<I know. I’m one of seven level fives in all of Academy City.>

<Even among us, you’re different.> Misaki placed the tips of her fingers together and stared over them, the ringlet curl girl looking away awkwardly. <The #1, #2, #4 and myself were all raised in laboratories. No effort was made to hide the darkness of Academy City from us. The #7 was baited into coming here, and the #6… well, you know what happened with the #6.>

<You're the only level five with an actual family. You’re the only one who obtained their power though the normal curriculum. You’re the only one of us who could buy into this city’s lies of being run by people who cared.>

Misaki cocked her head. <Or rather, you were.>

Misaka stared off into the distance, her body slumping bonelessly down in the chair, trying to make it all work in her head.

<I came here to deliver a warning.> Misaki finished the last of her tea. <They’ve covered up the deaths that occurred in the experiments, but they’ve set things up so that if you try to prove they happened, you’ll become the prime suspects in any investigation. I’ll have my hands full just stopping well-meaning investigators> her eyes flicked over to Kuroko <from ripping open that scab and springing the trap.>

Misaka’s gaze slid back to Misaki, her mouth opening in horror. <What…?>

<Oh, I’m not helping because of you.> Misaki said, mistaking the source of Misaka’s horrified confusion. She stood up, and the ringlet curl girl began to pack away the tea set and furniture, studiously avoiding eye contact with Misaka. <I once had a friend… well, she would have been very sad to see this ruin you, I’m sure.>

Once the ringlet curl girl was done, Misaki turned to leave, but she paused to say one last thing. <Next time you plunge into the Dark Side of Academy City,> she said, as though it was a given there would be a next time <make sure to hide your tracks.>

The intruding pair then left, closing the door behind them. After a second, Kuroko’s eyes refocused, and she gave a start when she realised Misaka was standing and staring dejectedly at the wall instead of lying on her bed. <Sissy…?>

Misaka turned around, flopped back onto the bed, pulled her pillow to her face and screamed into it.


For the first time in a very long time, Princess Celestia woke up early.

A thousand years had drilled the raising of the sun into her like the beat of a drum. Every day, at the exact same time, she would wake up and pull the day sky into it’s proper place in the heavens. Even the disasters that Equestria seemed to suffer on a bi-annual basis wouldn’t throw her off her rhythm for more than a day.

But today, she couldn’t help herself.

This day, she leapt clear out of her bed the moment her eyes opened. With practised ease, her golden tiara, collar, and horseshoes floated onto their respective places with the yellow glow of her magic. The biggest smile imaginable was plastered across her face.

Luna’s here, Luna’s here, Luna’s here…!

A thousand years of waiting had finally paid off last night, and Celestia was fully planning on enjoying every minute of it.

She threw the door to her chambers wide open, and to her surprise and delight found Luna outside waiting for her. “Luna!” She scooped up her smaller sister in a great big wing-hug. “Oh, it is so good to see you!”

“U-um, yes, we are glad to see you as well, sister…”

Celestia held the hug for a moment longer, then sighed and put Luna down. “What’s happened?”

Luna looked off to the right, and Celestia followed her gaze to find Twilight sitting quietly in the hallway, Spike hovering nervously behind her. There were damp patches of fur under her eyes.

“Twilight…?” Celestia asked.

Twilight’s bottom lip trembled, but she didn’t say a word. Spike and Luna, standing out of Twilight’s field of view, shrugged helplessly and gently shook their head respectively.

Celestia stood, uncertain for a moment, then turned her body to face Twilight and opened her wings up wide.

Twilight took the invitation, crashing into Celestia and beginning to sob.


Several days later

She didn’t have enough money for the train.

She counted twice more, hoping that she’d missed some the previous times. She was exactly 200 Yen short of a train ticket out of Academy City.

She briefly considered begging for leniency, then glanced over at the train station again. Everything from the ticket sales to garbage collection was automated – no humans to ask for help. It was the middle of the day, so there weren’t even any pedestrians she could beg change off of.

She managed to find a seat on a park bench before her legs gave out from under her. Was this it? Weeks of planning to escape from the school, only to be stopped just before freedom because she didn’t steal enough spare change?

…she probably had less than an hour before her “bodyguards” found her again. She’d seen a fast-food place on her way to the train station. If she couldn’t beg money out of them, then at least she could gorge herself on burgers before she was forced back into captivity.

As she was considering this, however, her ears picked up the sound of two more people approaching: two older thug-looking boys in street clothes.

<– I’m telling you Hanzou! It’s the real deal!>

<The mere fact that you even considered the possibility of this thing being real shows how much of an idiot you are, Hamazura.>

<Eh? In a minute, you’ll see the proof for yourself, so who’ll be the idiot then?!>

<Still you.>

Silently, the girl followed after the two thugs, figuring that one of them might be able to spare 200 Yen if they could stop arguing for a minute.

<There!> The boy whose name was apparently Hamazura yelled, pointing at something on the other side of a line of bushes. <You see?!>

<…I see the hole in the ground, yes.>

<Gah…! Komaba, you tell him!>

A third thug-looking boy was waiting in the park. He was a giant – all three boys looked like they should be in high school, but this third boy made the other two look like primary school students. The girl estimated his height at a whopping 230cm, or about 7’6’’.

The giant boy, apparently named Komaba, spoke up with an appropriately deep voice, infused with great gravity.

<It’s a hole in the ground.> He said.

<Komaba!> Hamazura yelled in despair, as his last supporter appeared to abandon him. The second boy (Hanzou?) snorted.

<However,> Komaba said <it is no ordinary hole in the ground.>

The girl walked up behind the boys, peering over their shoulders. None of them noticed her, but she hadn’t really expected them to. On the other side of the bushes was indeed a hole in the ground, about as wide as a park bench and deeper than she could see.

<Observe.> Komaba said, picking up a rock about the size of an ordinary man’s fist. He dropped it down the hole and waited.

After about a minute, the rock came rocketing back out of the hole, and Komaba caught it. He offered it to Hanzou to examine.

Hanzou took the rock, looking it over. <Okay,> he said <that is a little bit weird.>

Komaba nodded. <A while ago, the rock took longer to come back, and when it did it had this tied around it.> This time he offered a piece of paper to Hanzou, who looked it over.

<…is this English?> Hanzou asked, peering at the writing on the paper.

Hamazura scratched the back of his head. <Pretty sure so, yeah.>

<…I can’t read English though.>

<Ebwah?! Our last chance to have it translated while keeping our pride has turned out to be a bust?!>

The girl, apparently unlike the boys, actually could read English reasonably well, and could see that the paper simply said ‘Please stop throwing rocks up here.’

…wait, the other side of the hole was ‘up’? This hole didn’t run all the way through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side, did it?

Suddenly, the girl felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up. She turned around to find one of her “bodyguards” on the other side of the park.

He was looking directly at her, and speaking into a mobile phone. Typical. She was only noticed by the people she didn’t want to see her.

A group of three likely-Skill-Out-members were hardly going to intervene to save her from her “bodyguards”, especially if large numbers of them appeared to take her back to Misawa Cram School. There was no chance she could shake him, even if she started running now.

That left one way out.

She shoved her way past the boys, who finally noticed her presence with shouts of offence and alarm. She deftly evaded Komaba’s attempt to grab her, bent her knees, and jumped into the hole in the ground.


Aisa Himegami had only one goal in this world: find a way to stop her Ability from getting everyone she knew turned into monsters and killed.

______ ____ had only one goal in this world: find a way to stop her _____ from getting everyone she knew turned into monsters and killed.

Deep Blood had only one goal in this world: find a way to stop her Talent from getting everyone she knew turned into monsters and killed.


A mare arrived in the Everfree Forest alone, which is how she had arrived everywhere since that fateful night ten years ago. She took in her surroundings with dead, emotionless eyes, which showed feeling for only a brief moment when she noticed Canterlot Mountain through the trees at the edge of the forest.

The princess will be able to help me. She thought to herself. She has to be.

The world she was now in didn’t have the concept of “seeking sanctuary in a church”, so her Walking Church had not made the transition between Contexts with her. Her flanks were bared to the world, allowing anyone to easily see her Cutie Mark: the skull of a pony with elongated canines.


There is no rule that says that mixing two good things must always result in a better thing.

Pay close attention – some of the biggest changes yet have gone completely unnoticed.

Now that the MIRROR_NOISE has died down, we will begin to see some blood_manifestation.