• Published 14th Mar 2017
  • 1,256 Views, 53 Comments

Elementals - Parodox



The Elements of Harmony aren't the only Elements that exist in the world

  • ...
1
 53
 1,256

Chapter 8: The spark ignites

"I refuse to accept the view that every race is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.


Ponies, Deer, Griffins, Zebras, Minotaurs, Diamond Dogs, Changelings, a Demon, some anthropomorphic cat, and a Gargoyle. All would participate in the war yet to come, he couldn't explain it but he could just feel it.

A skin foot, that appeared like it belonged to a rat, landed gently on the ground, the body of an anthropomorphic hooded figure who stood on two legs folded his red bat-like wings behind his back and looked ahead of him at the shattered gates of Tartarus, where Cerberus, despite his clearly wounded state, still stood guard. The hooded figure approached the wounded three headed dog and ruffled the fur on the middle head, causing the other two to share a satisfied smile while sticking their tongues out and wagging their tails.

Once they recognized the hooded figure wasn't a threat, or a stranger, Cerberus allowed the figure to enter Tartarus. Carefully avoiding the broken pieces of the once invincible gate, the figure entered, making sure to avoid eye contact with the inmates imprisoned behind the bars of several stacked cages. But the figure had his eyes set on the singular cage sitting in the middle of the room, and the defeated Centaur that lied on the floor behind bars. His grey hair had grown so long that it touched the floor, his once bright red skin was now a scarlet slowly fading to the color black, and he seemed more bony than he usually was without his magic. But nonetheless, this was Tirek, the figure could never forget the look of his brother.

The figure lowered his hood, revealing his gargoyle face and yellow eyes. His name was Scorpan, younger brother of Tirek, and the one responsible for Tirek's imprisonment.

"Do you regret it?" Scorpan asked, glaring at his brother. "Do you regret your actions? Do you regret all the pain and suffering you've caused?"

"...Scor...pan?" Tirek's voice rasped, sounding like an ancient specter that had been doomed to live a life of isolation. "Is that you...brother?" Tirek asked, turning around Scorpan saw that Tirek's eyes were glossy and milky white. "I can't...see or...hear you, but I can feel...your presence." Tirek's hand swipes the floor like how Velma looks for her dropped glasses.

Scorpan bent down and gently grabbed Tirek's hand. Tirek pulled his hand back in panic at the sudden touch, his breathing increased slightly in panic.

Scorpan sighed in disappointment, "look at what you've done to yourself. With Pandora's box ripped from your body you no longer have the magic it once contained." Scorpan explained with sadness in his eyes, taking Tirek's hand once more he continued, "and while I might not be able to stop the process, I can ease your pain." Scorpan closed his eyes and when he reopened them they became completely grey, and as grey magic surged into Tirek's body, Scorpan spoke,

"The power of void is mine to bear
With this solemn oath I do swear
To not sway the tides of light or dark
The flames of war I shall not spark."

The grey magic ceased, and Tirek blinked several times before his eyes returned to normal. He looked up slightly and with a confused look he said, "so it is you after all."

Scorpan nodded.

Tirek's legs shook as he tried to stand but they could not support his body.

"Careful, my magic could only give you your sight and hearing back, but it cannot undo the damage that has already been done." Scorpan explained sadly before his tone changed, "you brought this upon yourself you know?"

"Really?" Tirek scoffed once again. "How is this my fault?"

"Let's start with your first attack on Equestria, how you used Pandora's box to steal ponies magic for yourself." Scorpan spat with maleficent. "And then you escaped Tartarus and attacked the ponies again, only to be defeated by the new Elements."

"Get to the point brother." Tirek groaned.

"The point, is that you used Pandora's box. You were never supposed to use it, only to keep it safe and hidden, and what'dya know, you do the exact thing you were told not to do!" Scorpan snapped.

"Do not lecture me like you are our father!" Tirek roared. "You could never understand what it was like. What it meant to be used as a...piece of storage for some artifact when I was just a newborn! How could they do something like that? Did they not care for my safety whatsoever?"

"They did care for your safety, but they also cared for the safety of everyone in the world. They chose to safe the majority over the minority!" Scorpan roared back.

Tirek glared at Scorpan, "what do you know? You were the bastard of our family, the weakest link. I don't have time to argue with you."

Scorpan tightened his fists, narrowing his brow he glared back at Tirek. He took a deep breath and calmed his anger before speaking again, "do you know why I came here?"

"To give me another lecture about how everything I do is wrong and everything you do is right?" He asked sarcastically.

"No." Scorpan retorted. "I came because I thought you'd want to spend the last few moments you have with your family." Scorpan clarified, which caused Tirek to give him his full undivided attention at the mention of his life ending. "It seems that when Pandora's box was removed from you it did more damage than we thought. The box supported your body, making it stronger and more powerful. But without it, your body can no longer support itself. In short, you're dying." Scorpan explained. "So please, in your final moments, I just want you to do one thing. Be the brother you should've been."

Tirek sat down in front of Tirek. "You want me, to act like brother, in my final moments?"

"Think of all the things I've done for you, all the times I took the blame for you, all the times I lied for you, all the times I cheated for you." Scorpan listed off. "I did it all for you, because I thought you'd do the same for me. Because I thought we were brothers."

Tirek was silent for a moment, not so much as a shiver left his body. He sighed in defeat before speaking, "fine, what is it you want me to do anyways? Go outside and play catch?"

"No, I just want to talk, that's all." Scorpan answered.

"Talk about what?" Tirek asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Anything, I don't care what it is, I just want to spend some quality time with you."

"Well I've been trapped down here for nearly a thousand years, so why don't you start?" Tirek suggested.

"Alright," Scorpan paused, thinking about what they should talk about before a thought crossed his mind. "Tell me, brother, have you ever heard of this drink called 'Red Bull'?"


"BWAHAHAHAHA!" Both Scorpan and Tirek howled with laughter that echoed off the walls of Brimstone.

"And it gets even better, after Celestia had drunk her fourth glass she started rapping out of nowhere, in front of the Royal Summit no less!" Scorpan said as both he and Tirek burst out in laughter once more.

"I can't believe it! If only I hadn't been imprisoned, I would've brought popcorn and a front row seat!" Tirek shouted the obvious.

As the two brother's laughter died down, Tirek spoke,

"You know, this...isn't as terrible as I thought it would be." Tirek admitted, sounding like it actually hurt him to admit something. "For once I think I'm having...what's the word?"

"Fun?" Scorpan suggested.

"Yes, that!" Tirek proclaimed, pointing at Scorpan. "This is fun, really fun, the most fun I think I've ever had." Tirek said exited, before his expression turned sad, "too bad I only realized it when it's too late. How much time do I have left?"

"Not sure." Scorpan answered in the same saddened tone. "I'd say you'd have a few minutes judging by how long we've been talking."

"Well...with the last minutes I have left, let me just say what you've always wanted to hear." Tirek said, placing a had on Scorpan's shoulder. "Yes, I do have a thing against trees."

"I knew it!" Scorpan pumped his fist in triumph.

"I mean, I just don't get their purpose, they just stand around doing absolutely nothing but drink water and absorb sunlight...they, they have no purpose. They just don't!" Tirek rattled off as both he and Scorpan chuckled.

Tirek sighed, closing his eyes and lowering his head. "Thank you." He said.

"For what?" Scorpan asked, receiving a playful punch from Tirek.

"Don't be an Ass, you know 'what'." Tirek chuckled before continuing. "For everything you've done, for always being there, for always giving me advice, for being a brother. I know it must've been difficult when you imprisoned me here but you did the right thing. So, thank you Scorpan. Thank you for being my brother." Tirek looked to Scorpan's chest where he saw a grey Element of a diamond shape. "The Element of Shadow chose you huh?" Tirek asked as he noticed that his body was starting to fade away like a ghost. "It's fitting really, you always were the kind to remain neutral." Tirek sighed as his body was practically gone. "Well, I better not see you any time soon, it'd be kinda awkward if you showed up." Tirek's chuckle faded away as did his body until nothing remained of him.

Scorpan sat in silence, recollecting all the good memories he had with his brother.

All the ones he considered was good that is.

Scorpan, we must leave.

"Give me a moment, I just saw my brother die before my eyes. I think I deserve a little peace and quiet." Scorpan said back.

Yes, you do deserve solus. But now is not the time, the sparks of war are about to ignite, but it will be Elementals who will fight one another while our true enemy pulls the strings. She must be stopped.

“But first things first, we need to keep the Elementals from killing one another.” Scorpan stated, standing up.

That is, how you say, easier said than done. The Elements of Life, Death, Nature, and the Spectrum are not like those of Atlas and Harmony. The Spectrum Elementals are all opposing powers of the others, they do not work together like Harmony and Atlas. Nature is the same, but Shadow keeps them balanced.

“Speaking of which,” Scorpan started as he exited Tartarus, “just how many of the Elementals have been chosen?”

So far only eight Elementals have been chosen. Fear, Rage, Greed, Guardian, Beserker, Earth, Life, and Death, meanwhile the other Elements are still searching for a suitable host.

“So what shall I do now?” Scorpan asked, covering his face with his hood.

We must find the other Elements of Nature, they will be able to aid us in stopping this madness. This war must not occur.


“It's been a while Forester.” Raindrop said to Forester. “I think the last time I saw you was when you were...about yea’ high.” Raindrop gestured to Forester’s height when he was very little. “Now then, to answer the question on everyone's mind, why am I here, it's because I've been taking trips out of the Vatican and exploring the cities, and while I was walking I heard an interesting rumor from a couple saying that a Deer by the name of Forester had somehow resurrected the dead.” Raindrop explained. “Now, naturally I thought this was a joke of some kind, but no matter where I went I always heard the same thing, Forester has somehow resurrected the dead. Naturally, I decided to get to the bottom of this and question you myself but you were to be attending a trial so I sent Cardinal Mavus on a mission while I took his place.” Raindrop explained as she approached the stand where the Four seasons were.

As Raindrop took her seat in the center chair of courtroom, everyone was still awestruck that the Suro was standing before them. Well, sitting technically, but you get the idea. Anyways, the Suro tapped her hoof impatiently, waiting for the trial to start, but due to everyone being awestruck progress was slow.

“ *ahem*, Would someone please be so kind as to get this trial started?” Raindrop asked, leaning forward she looked directly at Winter. “Bishop Winter, would you do us the honors?”

Caught off guard, Winter stammered and tripped over herself before answering, “o-of course you grace.” She answered, pulling out pieces of paper stapled together, clearing her throat, and reading off what was written on the paper. “Forester, the Accused, is hereby charged with heresy for breaking our most sacred and unspoken commandment, using magic by bringing-”

“That's enough Winter.” Raindrop said, cutting Winter off. “Lets not beat around the bush with things we do not fully understand. I shall be straight, forward, and to the point.” Raindrop said, leaning forward. “Forester, did you or did you not use magic to bring back the life of…” Raindrop trailed off, looking at the pamphlet in front of her, “this calf named Fawn?”

“...Yes.” Forester answered softly, but loud enough to be heard.

“And might I ask, how did this Fawn die exactly?” Raindrop asked.

“Reports show that he was poisoned with an unknown toxin that we've never seen before.” Summer explained. “But reports show that it did not come from any of the nearby plants.”

“It was a snake.” Forester stated. “Fawn said a snake bit him and injected him with a deadly poison.”

“What nonsense is this?” Fall asked incredulously. “Redwood has no Carnivorous animals, nor does it have any creatures that would harm us. To say that a snake existed within these woods is purposturios.”

“But it isn't unlikely.” Raindrop stated. “There have been occasions when creatures would enter the forest. But what you have described cannot be true.” Raindrop said, opening the pamphlet back up. “According to this, it says that there is no record of the poison or what it belongs to. But what we do know is that whatever it was, it killed Fawn.”

“Which brings up the question, how did you bring Fawn back to life?” Spring asked. “We know you used magic, but we know not how you used it.”

Let me speak.

Forester’s eyes closed for a minute, Raindrop felt a tingle go down her spine that didn't sit right with her. When Forester reopened his eyes they were completely white and his body glowed white as well. The room became confused as to what had happened, and their confusion was doubled as Forester lifted into the air, his hooves phasing through the shackles like a ghost's body through a wall.

“Restrain him!” One of the stationed guards yell, gripping his spear.

“Belay that order.” Raindrop commanded. “Forester does not pose a threat to us. But you're not Forester, are you?”

”No, I am the Element of Life speaking through my Host in hopes to clear him of his crimes. I swear to answer any question you ask me truthfully and honestly.”

“... Very well, I will start with the first question.” Raindrop said, leaning back in her chair. “I know this sounds cliche, but my first question is what are you?”

”I am the Element of Life, I was one of the first Elements to exist.”

“Okay, gonna have to be more specific it seems.” Raindrop muttered under her breath before asking her next question, “what is an ‘Element’?”

”An Element is an object that has a direct connection to the Source. It is capable of channeling a certain power via a certain way. For example, my power allows me to heal the wounded, support others, give magic to other Elementals, and return those who have died back to life.”

“Like with Fawn.” Fall summed up.

”No, Fawn wasn't dead, he was in the process of death. Before his soul was taken to the void I returned it to his body and cleansed him of the poison.”

“Since you were able to cure the poison, I can only assume you know what the poison was?” Winter asked.

”Yes, the poison belonged to a snake created by magic. It's initial target was me, but Fawn stood in the way of the snake and took the poison.”

“You sound relieved.” Summer stated. “Are you saying that you're happy that Fawn was poisoned instead of you?”

”I would've preferred that no one was hurt, but if my Host had been bitten and the poison infected inside of him, I could not have cleansed it.”

“What do you mean by that?” Spring asked. “You were able to destroy the poison when it was inside of Fawn.”

”Let me explain, the poison was special. Much like how your cells create antibodies to fight off previous diseases, the poison creates cells engineered to kill the cells of whoever it was injected into. If my Host was poisoned, I wouldn't have been able to defeat the poison due to its cells being engineered against mine.”

“I see. Next question, why did you choose Forester as your host?” Winter asked.

”My Host must be worthy of Life. They must respect, protect, and care for all life no matter what.”

“Here's my question, who sent you to choose Forester as your host?” Summer asked.

”...I see now. I detected a pattern in your questions, some of you are asking questions for answers to prove I am guilty while others questions are trying to prove I'm innocent.” Forester stated, which caught the four Seasons off guard, knowing that they had been caught red handed. ”I already know the next questions you will ask and the answers you wish to hear. I will oblige and tell you what you want to hear.”

”It was not your God that sent me to find Forester nor was it your God that made Forester bring Fawn back. If anything, your God is only a nonexistent force you choose to believe. It is true that faith has light for you to see but your faith has blinded you, you do not see the truth of the world. Your faith, and your God, are not real-”

Spring slammed her hooves against the table and stood up, she yelled at Forester, “I will not tolerate such sacrilege!” Spring roared at the one accusing her that her faith wasn't real. “You dare claim that our God is not real in the presence of the Holy Suro! I will not allow you to spew such vile words from your corrupted tongue.”

“This only proves your guilt, Forester.” Fall said. “From what you've said you've proven that you have indeed fallen from grace. But this is not your fault, it is the Element that has compelled you to lose your faith. But do not fear, we shall remove it from you at once.”

”You truly are fools. Religion is not essential, it is a waste of time. To believe that an all powerful being created this universe is a lie. The universe was not created by a God, it was created by forces mashed together that exploded into countless lights in the darkness. You may believe whatever you choose to believe, but you will not separate me from my Host, a war is coming and Life is required if we are to defeat our enemy.”

“I've heard enough.” Raindrop said, calmly scooting her chair back she walked around the table and approached Forester. “I am the Suro, the embodiment of Nature herself, to claim that my belief is false is an offense I will not take likely. I know not what you are, I know not what you come for, but I will not allow this to continue any longer.” Raindrop said, the ground shook as her eyes turned completely dark brown. “I will ask only once, release Forester from your grip or you will suffer my wrath.” Raindrop threatened.

”No, I will not fight you, nor will I remove myself from him. But I only speak what my Host believes, I have shown him the truth, and while he does not truly accept it, he no longer believes in your religion.”

“Liar!” This time Winter shouted at Forester, slamming her hooves against the table and rising from her chair. “Forester’s faith is unshakable, he would never question Nature.”

“Winter,” Raindrop said with a bit of sadness and disappointment in her voice, “he isn't lying. What he has said is the truth, and therefore…” Raindrop quivered at what she was about to say next. “Therefore...by the righteous power bestowed upon me… I hereby banish you from any and all cities under the Deer protection. You are to never set hoof in another forest for as long as you live.”

”We accept this punishment, and will obey it until you have lifted it. Now, we shall take our leave.” Forester said as he turned around to exit.

“Tell me, Element of Life, that symbol on Forester’s haunches. What does it mean?” Raindrop asked.

Forester came to a stop and turned his head to answer. ”It is the symbol of life, it represent my power and affliction.”

“Then from this point on it will serve as a scar, a scar that tells those who see it that this is a Stag who has given in to the wicked. May you repent your sin one day, and may God have mercy on your soul.” Raindrop said, her eyes narrowing as Forester opened the large door.

But before he left he took another glance back at Raindrop, revealing that his eyes had returned to normal indicated who was speaking,

“God? Don't make me laugh." He said before closing the door behind him.


“Princess...are you sure about this?” Flash asked. “I mean, don't get me wrong I wanna protect Equestria no matter what, but are you sure that removing my element is the best course of action?”

“Honestly, I'm not quite sure myself.” Princess Luna admitted. “My sister thinks that this will be beneficial to everyone.”

“And, what do you think?” Flash asked.

“What do I think?” Luna asked, sighing she leaned against the guardrail. “I think that...maybe it was the right choice to seal away the Elements, and now, now it's time to return yours.” Luna said, turning away from the rail she approached Flash. “Are you ready?”

Flash rubbed his back awkwardly, “well...is this gonna hurt?”

Luna nodded, “Immensely.” She answered and Flash sighed sadly. Luna put a hoof on Flash’s shoulder, “but it is for the greater good.”

Couldn't say no to something like that. Flash stiffened his body and braced himself for Luna to remove the Element. “This will be like a flu shot Sentry, you need to keep your body relaxed.” Luna explained and Flash let his body go limp like a noodle as Luna charged up her horn. “Now, it won't hurt at first, but over time it the Element will try to resist my magic and fire off your pain receptors. But no matter what, you must keep your body relaxed. Are you ready?”

“Now or never.” Flash answered.

Luna nodded as she ran her magic through Flash’s body. A blue mist swarmed his body as Luna’s magic engulfed himself. It was a pleasant feeling, like being dipped in a hot bath that just melted the stress away. It made relaxing a whole lot easier.

“Got it.” Luna stated as her magic now had a grasp on the Element. “Now all I need to do is pull it out. Keep yourself relaxed Flash, this is the part that's gonna hurt.” Luna stated as she began to gently tug on the Element.

At first It felt like a knot had balled up inside of Flash’s chest, where the Element was, but no matter what Flash kept his body relaxed and loose. It didn't matter how, just as long as it was for the greater good.

Flash, what are you doing?

Flash’s eyes shot open as a sharp pain shot through his head. He grimaced, the pain throbbing like a banging drum. Luna noticed Flash’s painful expression but continued to pull on the Element.

“I know this hurts, but this is for the best.” Luna said.

”No, Princess of the Night.” Flash spoke, his eyes completely blue with gold pupils, and his voice mixed with the Element inside of him. ”This, is for the best. You will see the truth and you will understand.”

Before Luna could protest or say anything, Flash gathered all of the magic Luna had seeped into Flash’s body and turned it into a swirling ball in his hoof. He then added a bit of the Element’s magic before forcing it into Luna’s head. She gasped as her eyes brightened to a complete white and she saw images appear before her.

The first image was a the night sky and all the bright dots that danced across its surface called stars. But then, a darkness began to devour the tiny lights until the last one went out and everything faded to black. The next image was of a hooded pony, a unicorn, who possessed power that did not belong in this world. She was older than Luna and Celestia, yet she had not aged nor had she used a spell to extend her life. The next image appeared to be symbols of the Branches. Atlas, Nature, Spectrum, Life, Death, even Harmony would participate in the war that had yet to come.

A war? Yes a war. A war was coming. One that had been fated to happen for generations now. But what set it off? What was the tipping point that started it all? What or who was it that ignited the first spark? So many questions, but sadly Luna received no answers as the images faded and her sight returned. Slowly she looked up to Flash who was now being used by the Element inside of him.

“What was that?” Luna asked, her eyes wide and filled with countless questions.

”That, was the future, and that, is why we cannot allow you to seal us away again.”

“But what I saw...I saw a war. A war that's about to happen with Elementals fighting other Elementals. You must tell me, when will this war begin?! You must tell me so we can prevent it!” Luna said, her voice rising.

”I am afraid you are too late. The war has already begun.” As Flash said that, a royal guard burst through the entrance with eyes wide and his voice filled with panic.

“Princess, you must come with me at once! Hurry, I don't have time to explain!” The guard said before running off, Luna paused for a moment before racing off with Flash.

The guard let them to the Royal Courtyard where every guard, every citizen, everyone was all looking at the sky with confusion and fear on their faces. As Luna looked up to where everyone's attention was directed she too gasped in fear.

Flying in the sky, between Ponyville and Canterlot was a yellow creature that looked like a snake, but it had insect legs along both sides of its body, and pincers on its mouth. It was the beast the belonged to Gideon, and speaking of the Griffon Prince, he stood atop the head of the creature with a wicked smile on his face.

And a limp Celestia in Gideon’s claw wrapped around her neck. Gideon made sure that everyone could see and hear him as his voice boomed with power,

”HEAR ME EQUESTRIA! MY NAME IS PRINCE GIDEON OF THE GRIFFON EMPIRE, AND THIS,” He paused raising Celestia’s body. ”THIS WAS YOUR GOD, BUT NOW I HAVE DEFEATED HER AND I COME BEARING A MESSAGE NOT JUST FROM ME, BUT FROM THE ENTIRE EMPIRE ITSELF!” Gideon shouted.

”FOR TOO LONG HAVE YOU PONIES RULED THIS WORLD! FOR TOO LONG WE HAVE HAD TO LIVE UNDER YOUR BOOT, BUT NO MORE! FROM THIS DAY FORTH, WE WILL RECLAIM WHAT YOU HAVE STOLEN FROM US ALL THOSE COUNTLESS YEARS AGO! SO TO ALL OF YOU PONIES,” Gideon paused, tossing Celestia away as though she was nothing more than a piece of trash.

Luna wasted no time for second thoughts as she flared her wings and pushed off the ground with enough force it caused a shockwave to erupt that blew everyone back. Luna raced towards her plummeting sister at rocket speed, she came to a halt just beneath her and caught her in her forelegs. She adjusted her wings to the added weight and glared at Gideon, who glared right back and said,

”Consider this a declaration, of WAR.”


Far away from Equestria, in the abandoned land of Rakdous, Scorpan traveled across his once homeland, leaving footmarks behind him in the ash filled ground. As he was walking, he then came to a complete stop, not even bothering to look behind him he asked,

“Just what is your goal?” He asked, his cloak flapping in the wind. “What do you gain by this?”

The one being questioned walked towards Scorpan and stopped twelve feet behind him.

“Peace.” The Master answered.

“Well, the irony isn't lost on me.” Scorpan muttered, turning around to face the hidden appearance of the Master. “How do you intend to bring peace by doing this? All this will do is cause war, death, and destruction. Tell me, what kind of peace is that?”

“This world was born so that everyone could have a chance at wielding magic. But when the Elements were sealed away that magic went only to the Ponies. As a result, equality and respect was forever lost to the other races.” The Master stated

“That's not true!” Scorpan protested. “They have spread friendship and love across all the lands. I've seen it.”

“You see only what you want to see. But you do not see the truth.” The Master stated. “It would be pointless to show you, you wouldn't believe it. But either way, you cannot stop me from achieving my goal.”

“Which you still haven't told me.” Scorpan glared. “I don't buy that peace crap for a second, sure it might be a side objective for you, but what is your true goal?”

“Oh Scorpan,” the Master sighed as a black scaled snake with purple symbols along its back and poisonous green eyes slithered around the Master’s body, baring its fangs and hissing at Scorpan.

“You wouldn't believe me even if I showed you.”

Author's Note:

Well, it would seem that a lot more people than I thought actually like reading my story. Which motivated me to write this chapter. Speaking of which, I've been waiting to write this for a while. The tipping point that started the war. Oh boy I can't wait, and I'm sure others can't wait either. Until next time.

Oh yeah, also I made pictures to represent the Elements chosen.

Guardian

Fear

Rage

Greed