• Published 10th Mar 2017
  • 654 Views, 35 Comments

An Invite To The First Flame - Michael Hudson



Pinkie's two halves find themselves in Lordran with no memories of how they got there, but the goal to get out.

  • ...
4
 35
 654

In Darkness

“Well, what do we have here? I don’t think I’m familiar with one like you.”

Two blue eyes opened in response to the soft voice in the void. They couldn’t see anything, naturally, at least for this one. It was how she preferred it even. If she was in darkness, it meant things were good. Things were how they were supposed to be.

That left the question as to why she was being bothered. In fact, Pinkamena had been wondering that a lot recently. Or… had she been? She felt like things kept trying to pull her out, trying to make her be necessary again, but why? She hadn’t been necessary for almost twenty years now, a fact she rejoiced in.

Her head turned as the ruffling of feathers brought her attention to the intruder. How had she even gotten in here? This mind was odd, able to pull things from so many places, but getting in was near to impossible. At least… when things were good.

Pinkamena slowly pushed herself up, sitting up. Her mind processed for a moment the oddity of her appendages, before correcting itself. She had more things to worry about than hands or anthros. Besides, if she thought about it too much now, Pinkie wouldn’t, and she didn’t want to rob her of any of the joy that discovery may bring her.

Looking into the void though, she felt no joy, except an odd gleefulness reaching out to her. It had to belong to the annoyance, but maybe it would go away if she asked nicely? She was doubtful, but it was worth a shot. “Please, go. I’m not meant to be awake, and Pinkie has a busy day tomorrow, what with it being the twin’s birthday.”

A light bit of laughter forced a tight lipped smile to Pinkamena’s lips. It was good when she was able to make something happy. She so rarely could after all. Not with her attitude. However, it faded instantly as the voice said, “That was two weeks ago, and even your impressive skills couldn’t get you back there, even if you still had your skills. Or, should I say her?”

Pinkamena’s eyes drifted down, her hair drifting into her peripherals as she thought about the words. Pinkie would never have missed the twin’s birthday, not for anything. Well, unless something was threatening them, but that didn’t explain why she’d be bothered with that. Pinkie took world ending threats in stride.

Unless… “Did we do something? Did something happen to them?”

A clawed hand placed itself onto Pinkamena’s shoulder, sending chills down her spine. It didn’t help that she’d thought the being was in the entirely other direction. It was a sign that the being was right. Something was off with Pinkie’s normal abilities.

Her eyes darted over, trying to see the intruder as it whispered in her ear, but saw nothing as it said, “You did nothing. Nothing even happened to them. At least, you hope. But, tell me, do you or her really think you’ll be able to stop it? Stop that which eats at you? That which only was accelerated by trying to keep them safe? Not that you’re likely to even remember it. Not with how you look at it.”

Pinkamena opened her mouth, wanting to say something, but each line brought an orange vein of fire into her abyss. They were cracks, painful cracks, cracks that had been there recently. She didn’t know why though. What was Pinkie keeping from her? What could they not remember, and why did it hurt so much?

And then, for just a moment, a shock ran through her system. A photograph of her friends, all together, all happy, appeared. It was one of the strongest things that kept Pinkamena away. A resolute reminder of why she never had to see the light of day. Why Pinkie could continue to be as happy as she was.

And it now burned away, turning into a black circle wreathed by flickering flames. Her mouth opened up, feeling her waking up, coming out, needing to face the world for the first time in so long. This wouldn’t be short term though. It couldn’t be fixed. It…

Thump.

“Please, wake up. If you act fast, you may be able to get out still!”

Pinkie opened her eyes, looked up, and barely saw a man in armor slip away from the hole in the ceiling, his gift lying in the middle of the room.

And she smiled for the first time in weeks.

What starting class should Pinkie have? And unfortunately, magic is not an option for her to start with, as she is still an earth pony, anthro or not. For those who don’t remember, that leaves;

A) Warrior: Longsword and Heater Shield
B) Knight: Broadsword, Tower Kite Shield
C) Wanderer: Scimitar, Leather Shield
D) Thief: Bandit’s Knife, Target Shield
E) Bandit: Battle Axe, Spider Shield
F) Hunter: Shortsword, Shortbow, Large Leather Shield, 30 standard arrows
G) Pyromancer (the exception to magic, as any man can use pyromancy, so long as he has the flame): Hand Axe, Cracked Round Shield, Pyromancy Flame
H) Deprived: Wooden Club, Plank Shield

Author's Note:

This choice was shown to my followers ahead of time so that the second chapter was made, with the highest being at 3 votes for pyromancer.