• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 3,217 Views, 112 Comments

To Turn a Life Around - TheEngineer



Our pathetic hero Matthew Anderson has found himself in a very odd situation as he stumbles upon

  • ...
8
 112
 3,217

Is this just fantasy?

Chapter 2: Is This Just Fantasy?

...........................

I'm not sure if I can really call this a dreamless sleep, it is more lucid than not. I mean, I don't see any images but that doesn't mean I don't have my thoughts...

So, what did I just do today? Was it all a dream? When did the dream begin? Did it start when my shift at work ended or did it start on my drive home and nothing actually happened? I guess I could check the trunk of my car for products that I may have bought to prove that.

Actually, I might be awake... I can feel a slight breeze on my cheek, it is rather comforting. Wait, wait just a minute there. I leave all the windows closed when I leave the house.

With that final thought, I shot my eyes open as if they were being pried open with a crowbar. The only thing I saw was two gigantic, white and blue dinner plates floating in front of me, barely lit only by the soft moon light from under the nearby front door. That so-called breeze felt like it was originating from just under the two dinner plates, the source of which was a mere inch away from my face. That's when it hit me, and seriously, I need to be thinking much clearer soon or I will bash my forehead with a frying pan because this was a no brainer.

"Gah!" I screamed as I realized that whatever this was it was alive, I simultaneously tried backing up to a wall that I was already pressed against (which must have looked pretty hilarious, if only I wasn't so scared).

"Ahhhhhh!" The creature yelped back and disappeared into the shadows in a blur. I just sat there dumbfounded for just a second, and then scrambled for the light switch. If this is dangerous, I need to see it. Once I flipped the nearest light source to life, I managed to get a good look of what I was up against.

Three figures huddled up in a corner, shaking from, well, fear. I chose this perfect moment (insert thick sarcasm) to take in their details, I am so smart. The one closest to me was, pink? It was completely pink, a coat of pink and a (mane was it?) mane and tail of darker pink. It also had what looked like tattoos on it's rump, identical on both sides, did someone brand them? Do they belong to anyone?

The other two were similar, one was purple and the other one was sky blue. The blue one had a very interesting trait though (or fashion statement I really can't think or tell), it's mane and tail are, well, rainbow.

"What is that thing?" I heard one of them whisper... Wait, whisper? The can TALK? Okay, okay I really am losing it. Without saying a word after several seconds of just staring, I just bolted upstairs to the bathroom. I splashed my face with ice cold water and looked my reflection on the mirror as if looking at my face is a way to check your own sanity.

"Okay, same light brown hair and short beard. Same hazel eyes, but these aren't my eyes, these are the eyes of a crazy person!" I muttered quietly to myself.

That was when I realized that if I don't want to be insane then I probably should not be acting like it in the first place. So I stood tall, dried my cold face and came back down to the living room where these creatures resided. By now they were all standing, their eyes dilated in what I guess was fear.

"Okaay, I heard one of you talking before. So I know at least one of you can speak English just fine" I stated, "So, we should probably talk because I am sure you are just as confused as I am".

The purple one spoke up first "What do you mean 'English'? You are speaking in fluent Equestrian! On a still important note, where are we and who are you?". I just stood there taking in that line of thought, they talk, they really talk. Are they aliens? Did horses somehow evolve without us knowing? Is it some kind of govern- HOLY COW it's a unicorn! What? And does that blue one have wings on it?

"You are... A friggin' unicorn?" I responded in what was probably the worst first contact attempt made in history.

"Um, yes? What exactly are you?" responded a somewhat agitated pony. That got me back to my senses, kind of.

"Erm, let us have proper introductions first shall we? To try to minimize any confusion here" I said in my most diplomatic voice while motioning to a set of couches to the side.

"Yeah, that sounds pretty helpful right now" said the talking rainbow. To which my response was to walk over to my favorite spot on the couch, and watching as they took their spots on the couch opposite from mine. Again, there was that awkward silence that filled the air...

Letting go of a surprising amount of air that was being held for god knows how long, the pink one exclaimed "I wanna start!". I just stared in awe of how much air that pony could hold and then responded "Sure, you can go first".

"My name is Pinkie Pie! I really like parties and baking and eating and enjoying eating and making anypony smile as much as they possibly can and itreallygetsmeexcitedwhenthereisapartyespeciallyabirthdaypartydidIevereverevermentionthat? Oooooo I love parties!" Pinkie Pie said... In a single breath, "Oookay, I got the Pinkie Pie part. So, who's next?"

The purple one was about to begin her speech only to be rudely interrupted by (hehe, reading rainbow) the talking rainbow, "My name is Rainbow Dash! The fastest flier in all of Equestria! I doubt you will ever meet somepony as cool as me!" This one said with an impressively smug grin and jet black shade that came out of nowhere really.

"Alright, now can I talk?" Said the aggravated ball of purple in a manner I almost sympathized with. "My name is Twilight Sparkle, we are all from the town of Ponyville in the great nation of Equestria and are here by complete accident, seriously, we had no intention of coming wherever here is. With that said, we really mean no harm if that is what you thought" The pony said in a slowly but increasingly nervous voice, and after a short pause added "You don't mean us any harm" *gulp* "Do you?".

Alright, now was the time for me to speak. I really had way to many questions. But those questions would have to wait, these creatures are intelligent and they await my introduction. "No, I really don't mean any harm to anyone" I said, this made any trace of fear (or from what I could tell) go away; so I continued, "My name is Matthew Anderson, and I am a human being. Right now, you reside in my humble home in Pennsylvania and I really don't know what there is to tell about me so yeah, there's that.". There was that awkward silence, but it did not last as long this time and I could see a certain smile building up in Pinkie Pie. What an odd name...

I decided to break the silence and ask the big question, "Where are you all from? I know you said Ponyville and Equestria, but I honestly do not know where that is".

Twilight almost freaked out at that, "You don't know what or where Equestria is? Oh no, nonononono this is bad. Really really bad, we must be very far from home!"

"Um, sorry to hear that but yeah. Equestria isn't a nation I ever heard about on this planet. Did you guys like, crash land from some ship like in a movie? Is there some way to 'call home' and be rescued?" I asked, feeling sorry for these three (mares? I think they are female, I don't want to ask though.) being so far from home, possibly with no way back.

"Ship? How could we get here on a ship? There's no water near us for us to sail on. But that's just it, we don't know if we can contact anypony back home or if there is even a way back!" Rainbow Dash yelled desperately, not knowing what else to do about the situation.

Okay, I would feel really bad if I just left these three stranded in a planet they don't know of with a possibility of having them run into people with bad intentions. What else could I do? "Well, while you are stuck here... I guess I could at least provide you with food and shelter." I said slowly and reluctantly.

"YAY! Hes letting us stay!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. And that's when we had a very educating conversation on different worlds. At two in the morning.



...........


"So, what you are telling me is that your world has no magic!?" Twilight gasped.

"And that ALL of the clouds on this planet move by them selves!?", Rainbow Dash exclaimed in disbelief.

"And that there are approximately eight BILLION humans on this planet that ALL potentially love cake!?" Pinkie commented giddily.

"Yes, yes, and mostly yes" I responded. "And you are all telling me that you lived in a world with magic and weather control and you think my world is strange?" I responded to their descriptions of Equestria. Sure our worlds were vastly different, but there were a shocking amount of similarities. They have similar foods like cake and so on. They speak the same language too! They have farming and organized government, an economy, literature, sciences, some sports even! Who would have thought ponies could play Bowling ball? The image is pretty hilarious.

"Yes, 'Earth' is very alien to us. I mean, look at these walls! How do you get them so smooth? And the electronics? Back in Equestria, we couldn't imagine having so much electrical power in one place!" Commented Twilight, who then proceeded to yawn.. Different species and yet very similar behavior, I can't get over that.

"hmm, you all seem a bit tired. Wow, it's already four o'clock in the morning, we should get some sleep." I said, yawning myself.

"Umm, not to be rude or anything. But where exactly are we going to sleep?" said Rainbow Dash.

"Well, theres a guest bedroom upstairs and there are the two couches here. That should be enough, plus, I have extra bedsheets in a closet somewhere..." I trailed off as I went, well, bed sheet hunting.

Some rummaging and random Pinkie Pie comments later, I had all of the couches ready for sleeping and I was ready to pass out. Twilight found the guest bedroom first and claimed her territory before it could be conquered, I'm pretty sure the others were way too tired to complain anyway.

This was certainly a very interesting night, now to think about how on Earth I am going to hide a secret as big as three colorful pony mares.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------