• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 675 Views, 7 Comments

Resonance and Subversion - PhysicalSound



Musical time travel to make the perfect song.

  • ...
2
 7
 675

Chapter 1

What causes different people to prefer some types of music than others?
Young colts and mares prefer to go to nightclubs where the music is loud and stimulating, while older ponies mostly prefer classical, which can be described as soothing and ethereal.
But even rave music can be melodious as classical music when the volume is turned down, and classical music can be played in wild parties if amplified.
How can mere sound affect ponies in such significant ways?
This was the question a certain azure maned DJ and a mare with violet eyes and a mane as dark as night were trying to answer.





“I told you Vinyl, blasting a bass cannon in the Canterlot Symphony Hall is not a good idea!” Octavia sighed.

… well, at least they were arguing about music.

“Oh, come on! One cello doesn’t have the necessary volume, pitch or nervous effect speakers and turntables can provide!” Vinyl complained.

“So you’re going to blow the Symphony Hall into smithereens with wubs!?”

“Then what the hay do you suggest I play?”

“You can go ahead and play rave club music in Symphony Hall…”

“Really?”

“… If you agree to play classical music.”

“Oh, come on! Those stiff-as-a-board stuck-up Canterlot snobs need to learn how to have a good time!”

“Everyone has different ideas of what good music is!”

“Prove it!” the white unicorn slammed a hoof in her face as she realized she had just laid down a challenge that would only end in the cellist’s victory.

Octavia’s eyes gleamed a wicked amethyst as she prepared her speech.

“Oh, I will all right. First of all, I have to explain why music is separated into different genres.” Octavia lectured.

“Cause they sound different?” The DJ sighed. She knew how this was going to end.

“Yes, but the reason they sound different is because different types of music give off different “Frequencies.”

What in the name of Celestia is she talking about? Vinyl thought.

“Um… care to elaborate?”

“For example, we can both agree that the cello, violin, viola and contrabass all sound different, right?”

“Yeah.”

“And compared to all those instruments listed above, the electronic instruments such as the electric guitar, keyboard, and mixing tables sound completely different?

“And your point is?”

“The reason they sound so different is because different genres of music give off different ‘Frequencies’. The ‘Frequency’ is different for every genre, instrument, and musical note or beat.”

“Tavi, I don’t mean to insult you, but that’s the biggest load of horse manure I’ve ever heard.”

“If you want scientific evidence, measure the wavelength and pitch of your techno-trance music to my classical.”

"...Ok, you got me there." the DJ resigned.

"But can you help me answer a question?" Octavia asked.

"Shoot."

"What’s the source of these certain 'frequency' that causes preferences? I mean, music is music, but WHY do different musical genres have such different vibes?”

"... I have absolutely no idea..."

Vinyl 's hoof shot out and grabbed Octavia's.

"...So let's go find out!" Vinyl grinned.

"Wait, what?"

the cellist had a dumbstruck look on her face as the DJ dragged her out of the room, in a quest to find... whatever it was they were looking for.







Even after 5 hours of running across Canterlot and visiting almost every single music shop, Vinyl walked enthusiastically across the sidewalk, her azure mane shining brightly in the Canterlot air. On the other hand, Octavia lagged, slightly behind, panting and wheezing in contrast to her perky friend. The DJ was a nocturnal creature after all.

"Vinly, dear, please!" The cellist gasped. "We've been to every single music store in this district! Can we take a break?!"

"Music waits for no stallion!" The DJ declared, charging on ahead.

“You do realize that you’re a mare, don't you?" Octavia snickered.

"You do realize that you wish that I was a stallion, don't you?" Vinyl laughed as she ran off into yet another music shop.

Octavia watched in disbelief at her partner as she took a breather, shaking her head. "When is that mare going to learn that miracles don't just fall from the-"

There was a sudden, grating, high noise, like a key against a piano wire as the sky suddenly turned downcast, a lightning bolt flashing dramatically against the capitol's skyline. A rectangular box could be seen, flashing across the sky, then crashing with a boom and pushing up dirt as it slid along the mortar roads. Octavia was thrown across the street by the shock wave, then crashed into a brick wall.

Before she lost consciousness, she saw a brown pony emerge from the telephone box, staggering off into the night.