• Published 22nd Feb 2017
  • 421 Views, 40 Comments

Moon Unit Zappa - RarityEQM



Celestia asks a special task force; The Servants of Shadow, to help find her missing sister Luna.

  • ...
0
 40
 421

The Steward

The Everfree forest seemed much quieter than usual to Diamond as she meandered through the underbrush. Perhaps, she theorized, it was because this was the last time she'd set hoof into the place before her mission. Perhaps the essence of death clung to her more so than usual, and perhaps the animals of the forest could sense it. A tiny filly walking through the forest with the reaper nipping at her hooves. The girl trembled and picked up her pace.

Even if she knew exactly where she was going, Diamond had managed to get lost at least once in the vast, spanning forest. Did all the Servants of Shadow have to be so difficult to get into physical contact with?! Why couldn't they just be like her and live in normal houses in town?! Before too long could pass, however, her destination came into view. Deep, deep within the Everfree forest, where the sun rarely ventured and the shadows held supremacy, was a broken down, old dilapidated house. The sort of haunt you tell ghost stories about at campfires to frighten kids, and teenagers dared each other to knock on the door.

Lining the property was a bleached white picket fence. Several of the boards had fallen into disrepair and all of it looked like it could topple over at any second. There was a large gap created by a number of missing posts, and that's where Diamond squeezed herself through. The front gate was covered in dark and rusted chains that hadn't been opened in years, and the path leading up to it was overrun with grass. The property itself seemed entirely abandoned, with broken windows and a collapsing roof. Really, the entire building looked like it was ready to crumble to dust with a good kick.

The front door, Diamond noticed, had been smeared with a number of red stains, and the chipped wood and scratch marks made it look like somepony was clawing desperately at the door to get inside. As if something had chased them to this place and the house was the only shelter they could find. The knob hung haphazardly from the front door as if it had been beaten open in a hurry. Diamond could only imagine the stories the house held as she worked her way around to the back yard.

As she rounded the house, a small number of unfinished graves slowly came into view and a great number of shovels and pick-axes surrounded all of them. The spectacle was a sight to behold for certain, but it was the freshly exhumed, opened casket, and the trail of dirt leading into the house that caught Diamond's attention. The back door was slightly ajar, and an inky, almost mist-like darkness was spilling out of it. Diamond Dancer frowned. This was every level of 'no thank you' imaginable and the girl gave a groan.

"Everything about this screams of poor life choices," she sighed, turning towards the house. She did not want to go inside. Every fiber of her being was telling her not to go inside. And yet she found herself taking a step forward and nudged the door open a little further, watching in awe at the darkness that seemed to flood at her hooves like a fluid. She wrinkled her nose and tapped the door nervously.

"Hello...Anypony home...?" She squeaked as loudly as her voice would let her. There was no reply, and the little filly gave another groan of annoyance. She nudged the door open a little bit further and perked an ear, listening for the sounds of anything that might be stirring inside the murder house. A low moan pierced the air from somewhere deeper inside.

"I don't have enough red flags to wave here, " the girl lamented, tentatively poking her head further in. The doorway led to a smallish kitchen, where a quaint little table sat in the corner. The furniture too, was falling apart, as the table had only three legs. The fourth had been replaced with what looked like twigs and sticks that were wrapped in...oh, Luna was that dried flesh?! Diamond blanched and began to back peddle as quickly as possible, but stopped in her tracks when the door behind her mysteriously suddenly slammed shut with an unseen force.

"Of course," She groaned dryly with her ears splaying back. Before she had time to even think about looking for another way out, something to her immediate left twitched and then lunged from the darkness, seizing the filly in a cold, iron -like grasp. Diamond shrieked in surprise, squealing and kicking her limbs in every direction, but her assailant was much too quick for her and squeezed tightly.

"Greetings, miss Dancer. Your visit is most unexpected. Am I performing this 'hug' correctly? This is what you ponies like, is it not?" A voice slithered past her ear. Immediately, Diamond gave a sigh of relief and nodded her head.

"S-Sure Nettie. That's a hug alright. A horrifying, horrifying hug, " the filly squeaked, pulling herself free from the dark purple hooves that stiffy clutched her. Behind her, 'Nettie' pulled back and fixed her glare at the little pony who had invaded her home. Diamond turned and offered a nervous smile, taking a step back to bring the other pony fully into her vision.

'Nettleglum' (Nettie for short) was not by any means a typical mare. Her coat was a dark, ominous shade of purple that always seemed to remind Diamond of poison somehow. Her mane was a shadowy mess of ebony curls that was pulled back into a tight braid behind her and swayed down near her shoulder with her truncated movements. Sometimes Diamond could swear Nettie had just risen from the dead with the way she walked with stiff joints and labored gestures. Zombie or not, Nettie was the 'Night's Steward' and held black knowledge and forgotten secrets that could fill hundreds of libraries. She had no wings nor horn, but Diamond was positive she wasn't an 'earth pony' in the least. No, not with slitted pupils like the ones she had. On top of all of that, the strange, unfamiliar social habits she had, further pushed her out of the category of 'normal' pony. She turned her green-eyed stare towards the filly and offered Diamond an expression the girl had never seen before. Was...was she smiling? Was that a smile? Why did she have so many teeth?

"It is wonderful to see you, miss Dancer. Would you care for a cup of Spider tea? It is very very fresh, " Nettie offered, woodenly moving towards a wood stove in the corner. On top of it sat a trembling teapot, which Diamond was sure she wanted nothing to do with.

"Ahh, I'll pass, thanks. Say, Nettie, you been to Tartarus before, right? I mean, those stories about you are true, right? You've been there and back?" Diamond asked, warily keeping an eye on the teapot. A little black star-spider dangled from the spout and the girl shuddered.

"A lovely place, yes. I spent a number of days there in my youth, A beautiful place for rest and relaxation. Are you seeking to visit? I know of several wonderful little torture booths where you can spend an hour for just a silver coin, "Nettleglum replied crispy, pouring a hot cup of.....liquid(?) from the teapot into a small black goblet she was suddenly holding in her hooves. Diamond knitted her brow, and quietly shook her head.

"Err, I'll keep that in mind. N-No, Princess Celestia has asked the Night Court to fetch Princess Luna. They think she's in Tartarus, and I'm trying to gather a search party, " Diamond explained, watching Netties unchanging expression. She sipped at her tea thoughtfully, before she gave the filly another little nod.

"Oh, splendid. I did think a vacation would do her wonders. I suppose time can get away from you when you're enjoying yourself. If you're requesting my help to bring the Princess back to her royal duties, I would be happy to assist you. " Nettie explained, watching the little filly in front of her leap for joy.

"Oh, thanks Nettie!! I've got to go and get the rest of the Servants together. Can you guide us from the Castle around six tomorrow morning? That should be enough time to round up Virga and Dinky!" Diamond explained, already turning towards the door. She liked Nettie, sure, but the house made her uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. The 'Spider tea' was just the latest entry to a long list. Nettleglum nodded her head and followed the girl to the door.

"Did you see my latest work?" Nettie asked, pointing to a row of empty graves. An awful lot of work and effort had obviously been put into the numerous resting plots, and Diamond, while somewhat disturbed, was going to compliment her on a job well done. Until she noticed the last grave at the very end of the row, which was much smaller than the others. Nettie pointed at it stoically, while pride riddled her voice.

"That one's yours." She said quietly and marveled at how quickly Diamond had removed herself from the premises.