• Published 23rd Feb 2017
  • 501 Views, 16 Comments

Power Ponies 3: Perilous - Epicdiscord214



Ever look in a mirror. Well, the Power Ponies did. Heads up, it doesn't end well.

  • ...
 16
 501

Jailhouse Serenade

The Negahorn looked down from her tower balcony looking down at a large, concrete platform under construction. As she grinned, she noticed Tartus entering the room.

"You called for me, Negahorn?" Tartus asked as he approached the Negahorn. "What might it be about?"

"Tartus, may I introduce our newest allies." The Negahorn gestured her hoof at the Mane-iac and Gryphon Galore in their natural costumes. "These two are from the other Equestria and they kindly gave away our doubles and the entire resistance."

"Really?" Tartus asked.

"Right now, Vile-Osity and Ms. Fortune are rounding up the camp for any rebels and bringing them here to face judgement. But in the meantime, we need to go over something."

"What's that?" Tartus asked.

"I just realized there's a mole in my castle. Just yesterday, someone anonymous called the Resistance and told them about a secret entrance into the castle. That's how they came this far."

"Yeah, and they would've succeeded too if me and Hairy Mary here hadn't decided to turn the tables on them." Gryphon Galore added.

"Hairy Mary?" the Mane-iac asked turning her head at all directions. "Where? She owes me 50 bits."

"Anyway," the Negahorn said rolling her eyes, "Someone betrayed me. And I'm going to find out who and why."

"Very well." Tartus said. "Where do we start?"

"Just this." the Negahorn said. Suddenly, she shot an energy beam from the Golden Apple that wrapped around Tartus. He tried to break out, or at least slip out, but the beam wouldn't allow him.

"What's the meaning of this?!" Tartus asked in his struggle.

"Don't think I'm an idiot, Tartus!" the Negahorn said. "I confronted Vile-Osity about her tunnel, and she told me she only told one person: you."

Tartus paused for a moment before chuckling for a bit. "Honestly, I didn't think anyone would take her seriously if she confessed."

"At first, I didn't." the Negahorn said. "But then, I remembered, the anonymous tip was given to the rebels shortly after you came back to this world. Either that's a pretty big coincidence or..."

"Or I am the snitch." Tartus said. "Bravo, my student. I tip my hat to you... figuratively speaking, of course."

"Why?" the Negahorn asked. "You taught me everything I know. You gave me the Golden Apple. You arranged for my empire to be born. And now that I'm at the peak of my master plan... you want to stop me. Why?"

"Well, you're a smart princess, your majesty." Tartus said. "Figure it out. But here's a clue: those you cannot do... teach."

"Fine." the Negahorn snarled. "Don't tell me. You can just see me as I unleash my wrath across multiple worlds. Guards!" Two guards marched in and grabbed Tartus. "Take him to the dungeon with the others!"

"Yes, ma'am." the guards said simultaneously as they dragged Tartus out.


"No, no, no!" the Shadow Blot said in fear as he paced around his cell. The other Mighty Machines were looking over Celestia's wounded, unconscious body. "Is she going to be all right?"

"Dang it, Rick! I'm a wirewolf, not a doctor!" Timberwolf responded. "None of us minored in anything medical."

"Can't you heal her?" the Shadow Blot asked. "You heal yourself all the time."

"First of all, I'm self-conscious about that." Timberwolf said. "Secondly, even if I am capable of healing others, I couldn't. These bars are enchanted to soak up magic and superpowers when they're in use. Which means if I'm decapitated, I'm definitely a dead dog. I can't heal myself, let alone an alicorn princess."

In another cell, the Power Ponies were sulking on the ground.

"Really?" Saddle Rager asked. "You found Anar D... alive?"

"Indeed." Radiance said. "He was living and breathing... but he seemed to have lost all his marbles. He's even stranger than he was before."

"And the Negahorn... what? Brought him back to life? Just like that?" Zapp asked.

"Apparently." Radiance answered. "The Negahorn brought him back for... some reason. I don't know why, and Anar D was no help at all."

"Blunder said this Equestria doesn't have any version of Anar D." Hum Drum said. "Maybe that has something to do with it. What do you think, Double-M? Matterhorn?" His partner didn't answer. He noticed she was staring at the ground sadly. "Twilight, you gotta pick yourself up."

"I can't believe how stupid I was." the Masked Matterhorn said miserably. "I thought I could make her good again. I thought I could reason with her. But it's too late. She's rotten to the core. And because of me, the whole plan failed and Princess Celestia got hurt."

"Come on, Matterhorn." Mistress Marevelous said. "Don't beat yourself over it."

"Yeah." Filli-Second said. "That's what the Peril Ponies are for."

"The point is, we need you up so that we can escape." Marevelous continued. "We need a..."

Suddenly, the door opened revealing two guards dragging in Tartus with a black bag over his head. They opened the Mighty Machines' cell and threw him in. Tartus removed his bag and revealed himself much to the surprise of the wirewolves. He grinned nervously and chuckled softly.

"Long time, no see."

"You." the Shadow Blot growled as he approached Tartus. "Now, it makes sense."

"Now, Ricky," Tartus said nervously, "Let's just calm down and take a breath before one of us does something they're gonna regret." He was interrupted when the leader of the Mighty Machines grabbed his collar with one hand and pushed him against the bars. The Power Ponies noticed it and reacted.

"Hey, what's going on?" the Masked Matterhorn asked. "Why are you attacking him?"

"Girls, I'd like you introduce you to... Tartus." the Shadow Blot said. "We met him at the Neatherealm! This scumbag was working with our enemies in finding the Golden Apple! Pretty big coincidence that both this guy and the Golden Apple happen to be in the same world, right?"

"Okay, okay!" Tartus said. "Look, I am responsible for the Negahorn gaining possession of the Apple, but I am an enemy of hers just like you."

"Yeah, right!" Dusk said. "Why should we believe you?"

"Open your eyes and think with your head for a minute." Tartus said. "If I wasn't on your side, then why did she send me down here with the rest of you all? And if I wasn't on your side, why did I tell your Resistance friends about the secret tunnel?"

"What?" the Shadow Blot asked. "You... You tried to help us? Why? And no word play!"

"Just let me go, and I'll tell you everything." Tartus said.

Against his better judgement, Ricky decided to let the man go. He released his claws and let Tartus straighten out his collar.

"Now, as for my being here," Tartus said, "I gave the Negahorn the Golden Apple years ago, but on occasion, I had to borrow it for my own deeds. But now, the Negahorn has become to drunk with its power."

"Why'd you give it to her in the first place?" Rodan asked.

"Well... that's... a little hard to explain." Tartus said. "See, I need her to do something to the Apple, something only she can do."

"That's vague, borderline cryptic." Devastator said.

"Hey, look at the pet." Tartus mocked. "He can speak... and understand intermediate vocabulary."

"You're getting off-topic, Tartus." the Shadow Blot said. "When we first met, you told me you had something against me. What did I ever do to you?"

"You still haven't figured it out?" Tartus asked. "Well, I can't tell you just yet. It would just confuse you."

"I don't know." the Masked Matterhorn said from the other cell. "I'm a pretty smart alicorn. Does any of this have anything to do with Anar D coming back to life?"

"Trust me, I have no involvement in that." Tartus said. "That's the Negahorn's own plan."

"Really?" Hum Drum asked. "And I don't suppose you happen to know what it is?"

"Unfortunately, no." Tartus said. "They don't tell me anything. All I know is, the Negahorn's going to use him to spread her wrath across the Multiverse." He stopped when he saw the wounded princess on the ground. "That doesn't look good."

The Shadow Blot stopped for a minute to look down at Celestia. "I'm sorry." he said.

In the other cell, the Masked Matterhorn sighed and walked toward the corner. "Me too." she whispered.

The Shadow Blot sighed. He knelt down and brushed his claw against her rainbow hair.

"Never shown it

But I've known it

And I've come this far

In my heart

I love you in my heart

See, I've always

Spent all my days

Being torn apart

But in my heart

I've had you in my heart

I've been frightened

'Cause we're good friends

But I've wanted more

I wanted an understanding

'Cause I love you in my heart

In my heart, it's not easy

In my heart, I'm getting queasy

In my heart

There's a beating that won't cease

In my heart

In my heart

I'll go on in my heart

I love you in my heart

In my heart, it's not easy

In my heart, I'm getting queasy

In my heart

There's a beating that won't cease

In my heart

In my heart"

He stopped singing when he felt a hoof press against his metal claw. He opened his eyes seeing Celestia looking at him with joy in her own. Though it pained her side, she sat back up. The others (except for Tartus) was elated to see her okay.

"Celestia!" he gasped nervously. "I'm not sure how much of that you heard, but..."

Celestia stopped him by placing her hoof on his metal mouth. She then continued the song.

"If I'd known sooner

I'd have shown you

That even in the dark

In my heart

I love you in my heart"

"Now that I know" both sang,

"We can finally go

And make a brand new start

You're always in my life

And you're always in my heart

In my heart

Iiiiiiiiiiin myyyyyyyyyyyyy heeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaart"

They leaned in about to kiss each other... before Tartus interrupted.

"Yeah, boo-hoo. You finally have that moment where you both realize how you feel about each other like everyone else knew. But there's still the matter of us being prisoners, and as much as I respect the power of music, adorable serenades won't get us out of here."

"You interrupted a romantic moment after we've waited so long?" Masque asked. "Oh, you really are evil!"

"Are we late to the party?" a voice called from outside the cells. Suddenly, Starlight and Sunburst walked from the shadows.

"Starlight! Sunburst!" Timberwolf shouted. "Thank goodness you're here! These cells are filled with jerks, regrets, and mushy stuff."

"Can you get us out of here?" Celestia asked.

"No problem." Starlight said. "You can't use any magic in those cells, but out here, it's just a simple lockpicking spell." Two blue beams were zapped out of her horn and hit the locks.

"Hey." Zapp whispered to Radiance. "Are you sure we should trust her?"

"If the princess trusts her, that's enough for me." Radiance said.

"Well, whatever the purpose, we need to find Anar D and..." the Masked Matterhorn stopped talking when she started to feel dizzy. In the other cell, the Phantom Blot had the same feeling.

Suddenly, the cells opened up and everyone cheered.

"Come on." Filli-second said. "Let's go save our friends and... Twilight?" Everyone noticed Twilight wobbling left and right like she was instantly getting tired. "What's wrong?"

"Guys, something's up with Ricky too." Rodan said pointing at Ricky's wiggling.

Suddenly, both the alicorn and the wirewolf fell to their sides and fell unconscious.

"TWILIGHT!" everyone gasped. "RICKY!"

"What happened?" Starlight asked.

"I don't know!" Sunburst said.

"What's going on, Tartus?" Dusk asked.

"Hey, I'm just as confused as the rest of you."

Just then, everyone overheard footsteps from outside the door. In panic, everyone but Starlight and Sunburst got back in their cells while the two unicorns ran back into the shadows. The guards opened the door and saw the heroes lying on the ground.

"Huh." one guard said. "I thought for sure I heard someone talking here."

"It's full of prisoners." the other guard said. "They're always talking. We're just ignoring." And with that, the two closed the door behind them leaving the heroes to look over their fallen leaders.

"Twilight!" Celestia said with a heavy breath. "Ricky! What's going on?"


Twilight and Ricky opened their eyes, but they weren't in their cells or the Peril Tower. Their entire surrounding is a black void.

"What's going on?" the Masked Matterhorn asked. "Where are we?"

"I don't know." Ricky said. "We're certainly not in that dark Equestria anymore."

"Oh, but you are." a booming voice called out. The two couldn't find the source of it. Suddenly, a bright flash of yellow smoke appeared and a figure emerged. He looked human, but he wore a yellow robe and had yellow hair and beard. When he spoke, his voice wasn't as intimidating. "Or rather, your physical bodies are still in your cells. You know, after you failed to escape. Man, this just isn't your day, is it?"

"What?" the Shadow Blot asked. "Who are you?"

"Oh, where are my manners? My name is Midan. And I guess, in the most simplistic way of saying it... I'm the Golden Apple."

Author's Note:

A lot more revealed in the next chapter.

The song featured here is a parody of "Even Then" from Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return.