• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 708 Views, 11 Comments

Opening Up - Chiron



A stallion (Stalwart) comes to Ponyville after long travels and a troubled past to rest.

  • ...
 11
 708

Chapter 2

Opening Up
Chapter 2
Written by: Chiron

Warning: The follow fanfic contains material that may be considered graphic to some readers. Contains material such as: rude language and violence. Discretion is advised.

The first things Stalwart realized when he started to wake up were that he wasn't laying in his tent, the soft bed and beeping from the EKG monitor gave that away, and that his shoulder had a dull ache in it. Opening his eyes he looked down and seen IV lines in his limbs and his normal vest and jacket were gone only to be replaced with gauze wrapping around his shoulder and a hospital gown.

“Great...,” he thought, “I'm not even in this town a whole day and I'm in a hospital.”

Looking out the window he seen it was light out now and began pondering how long he had been out. The hospital he was in was very quiet, a sharp contrast those he had seen before. The usual ringing of phones and the chatting of nurses & doctors was nonexistent. The silence really unsettled him. Seeing there was not much else to do but wait for someone to show up to check up on him he looked back out the window. After about an hour of sitting in his bed Stalwart here the slide of his room's door and looked over to see an older looking male unicorn with dark brown coat and graying mane wearing a set of scrubs.

“Hello my name is Dr. Life Care,” he said with a smile, “how are you today?”

“Fine.” replied Stalwart.

“Good, good. Seeing how you were brought in last night in pretty bad shape I was expecting you to be a little more uncomfortable.” he said still smiling.

Stalwart didn't say anything, just continuing to look toward the doctor.

“Okay then since you seem to be holding up alright, do you mind if I ask you a few questions?” asked the doctor.

“Sure.” he replied. Stalwart answered various questions such as: his name, age, allergies, etc. The usual stuff you gotta deal with whenever you first enter hospital.

“Okay then,” the doctor said and Stalwart could have sworn he seen that constant smile falter a little, “Any family in the area we can let know you're here?”

“No.” said Stalwart flatly.

“Okay, any phone numbers to call a friend?” asked the doctor.

“No.”

“You don't have anyone to call?” curiosity peaked he asked a little more, “Why?”

“Next question please...” said Stalwart, his voice stern.

“As you wish." said the doctor sensing the tension, "How about we switch for a moment and I answer some of your questions?”

“Fine,” said Stalwart, “how long have I been out?”

“Oh,” the doctor said scratching his chin with a hoof in contemplation, “about ten or so hours.”

“What did you do to my shoulder?” asked Stalwart.

“Well the knife went in pretty deep and caused quite a bit of damage. We had to go in and repair the damaged muscle and make sure nothing was nicked.” said the doctor.

“When can I leave?” asked Stalwart after looking at his shoulder while listening to the procedures explanation.

“Because of how badly your shoulder was damaged and the amount of blood you lost, I'd recommend you stay at least one more night to recover enough.” replied the doctor pony.

“Fine, last question...” said Stalwart, “I helped stop a mare from being mugged last nite. I'm guessing she was the one who brought me in. Is she okay?” he asked.

“Ah yes, that reminds me!,” the doctor replied beaming, “Ms. Redheart could you come here a moment please?” he called stepping out the door and yelling down the hall.

A moment later the same mare Stalwart saved the night before stepped in the doorway wearing a nurses' cap and her pink mane in a bun. This was not something Stalwart had expected. His normal placid expression changed with a slight raising of his eyebrows. He had to admit seeing her in the light, she was kinda pretty.

“Hello again.” she said with a soft smile. Stalwart simply nodded.

“I do have a few more questions for you but they can be answered later on, I'm sure you two have somethings to discuss.” said the doctor as he left the room.

They sat there looking at each other in silence for a moment before being broken.

“Are you alri...” they said at the same time, both stopping mid-sentence to let the other finish. She was blushing quite visibly now. Stalwart felt his face growing a little warm as well.

“Please you go first.” he said motioning toward her with his good leg.

“Thank you and I'm fine, better now knowing that you are well enough to be awake now.” she said, “I was worried we wouldn't get you here before you got worse last night.”

“We?” Stalwart asked raising an eyebrow. He couldn't remember seeing anyone else before he blacked out.

“Oh well I had to find someone to help carry you here, I wouldn't have been able to do it myself so I had Big Mac help me.” she replied then quickly realizing that she had never seen this pony around town before she added. “He's one of the farmer ponies who lives on Sweet Apple Acres and I was able to find him just as he was heading home.”

“Ah...” Stalwart said. He made a mental note to find this Big Mac character and thank him, it was the least he could do.

At that moment there was a knock at the door that caused Nurse Redheart and Stalwart to look at the door. The doctor had returned.

“Sorry to interrupt but there are a few other questions I would like to ask our quest.” said the doctor to Nurse Redheart.

“Oh right, well I bett-” she said before Stalwart cut in.

“Actually sir if it's not to much trouble I would like to get going.” he said causing both medical personnel to look at him; one eyed him quizzically while the other had more concern in her eyes.

“Why?” the nurse and doctor said in unison.

“Well for starters I've been through worse than this.” he said and with his good foreleg he pointed toward his shoulder. Nurse Redheart hadn't noticed it before now but as he pointed toward his shoulder she noticed he had several scars on his foreleg, this took her by surprise since several of them looked quite bad.

“I noticed...” replied the doctor flatly, “I was the surgeon who fixed your shoulder. While we were operating we had to make sure you hadn't suffered any other injuries.”

“Then I already know what your next set of questions are likely to revolve around and all I can say is I do not want to discuss it.” Stalwart said staring at the surgeon. Nurse Redheart was confused by this, she wasn't there for the surgery so wasn't sure what these two were talking about. They had sent her straight home after bringing Stalwart into the hospital.

“Very well I will hold off with the questions for now.” said the doctor lowering his head toward his patient.

“Thank you, now would you please pass me my clothes? I would like to get back to my stuff on the edge of town.” said Stalwart. After asking the doctor went to the closet on the opposite side of the room as Stalwart and pulled out a white plastic bag which after the doctor came over and set on the bed was found to have his jacket, vest, scarf, and music player.

As the two medical ponies left the room the doctor stopped and said to Stalwart. “By the way you do not have to worry about any kind of medical expenses.” smiling to Stalwart and then looking toward Nurse Redheart consider it a thank you for saving one of Ponyville's own without concern for yourself.” He then shut the door quietly leaving Stalwart to change into his clothes.

“Huh, that was kind of him.” Stalwart thought to himself in the quiet room and proceeded to slip out of the hospital gown.

Stepping out he noticed that Nurse Redheart was sitting at the desk where the sign out form was. “Was she the only one who works here?” Stalwart thought as he walked to the desk. As he approached she saw him and began to blush again. Reaching up he picked up the pen and began signing out.

“So you really are taking off huh?” she asked sadly.

“Ya I just got a little tent on the outskirt of town. I'll probably be back in town to get supplies after I make sure nobody has bothered my stuff.” he said. Looking up he seeing her again he just couldn't help but think of how pretty she was. Thinking this had caused him to blush and stammer out something he didn't intend to say. “But umm I'll probably be in town for a couple days..y-you know to make sure my shoulder isn't to hurt.” This only made his face feel ever warmer but seemed to cheer her up.

“Great, maybe we'll run into each other again!” she said, “b-but hopefully neither of us will get hurt in the process.” she quickly added with a giggle.

“Heh yeah, well thank you for bringing me in Ms. Redheart.” Stalwart said wanting to end this conversation as soon as possible before his face turned as red as an apple. “Take care.” he added and turned toward the door.

“Y-you too and thank you for helping me.” she said back receiving a glance back and a nod from him as he walked out the door. Sitting at the desk and staring at the door Stalwart walked out of with a smile on her face and him on her mind.