• Published 10th Nov 2017
  • 1,647 Views, 74 Comments

My Little Mages: The Sirens' Song - Foxhelm



With Tirek bested, another group of enemies make their debut. But it will take a different approach to best the Sirens, and maybe an other hand? It's time to go back to Midnight Castle. A My Little Mages AU retelling of Rainbow Rocks

  • ...
7
 74
 1,647

The Road to the Battle

About an hour after he left the library, Flash was still on his way to Midnight Castle’s barracks, which also housed the Mystican support garrison. He was surprised to hear about the move, but it did make sense. As he was informed that the garrison had access to a few dragon fire candles. He then started to hear tone he recalled. It sounded like a drum set mimicking a march, but Flash could tell the difference. This brought a smile on his face as he got his guitar off of his back and arrived at the barracks. There he saw most of both the support garrison and Cinch’s retinue seated as he noted five people on makeshift temporary stage, all in their civilian clothes, not unlike Flash. Two of the five were women, one of the women had light green hair and amber eyes. She had dark cherry lipstick on while she was dressed in a pink shirt with two cherries on a steam in a white circle, a leather sleeveless jacket, leather fingerless gloves, a green kilt with a studded leather belt, this was Cherry Crash and she was playing the guitar, not unlike Flash. The other woman had purple hair with streaks of a lighter shade of purple. She had also had purple eyes and wore a black shirt that revealed her shoulders and the area of her chest around her clavicle, a purple skirt, black pants, pink wrist cuffs and a pink scarf with purple dots over it, this was Mystery Mint and she was at the microphone without an instrument.

One of the three men was at the drum set, he had mint blue hair and matching eyes, he wore an orange shirt with a ‘v’ neck and red drum with drumsticks on it. He also wore denim pants, not like Flash and like Cherry wore fingerless gloves, but his were red and were designed to help him grip his drumsticks while Cherry’s allowed for freedom of movement of her fingers. This was Brawly Beats. Next at the keyboard was a man that looked like he belonged anywhere else. He had orange hair that covered his eyes. He wore a black shirt, red fingerless gloves, blue jacket with sleeves torn off and a ‘peace-sign’ and light blue pants, this was Valhallen. The final man was playing the bass. He had black hair with two white streaks and didn’t reveal his eyes thanks to a pair of blue sunglasses. He wore a red shirt with a blue tie, blue cuffs on his wrists, black pants and white vest with what looked like a badge that was red and blue divided by a thin yellow lightning bolt, this was Ringo. It took Flash less than ten seconds to figure out the song they were about to perform when Valhallen started to sing, “Let's get down to business, to defeat the Huns” this was responded to by all the audience with a ‘hwa’ as if they were back in training and gave an exhale at the start of the first drill.

Flash then started to sing and play his guitar matching the rest, “Did they send me daughters, when I asked for sons?”

There was no pause in the music as everyone turned to see Flash make his way to stage, Ringo continued the song, “You're the saddest bunch I ever met
But you can bet before we're through”

“Mister, I'll make a man out of you,” Flash replied with a smirk before he turned to face the audience and the six continued as if Flash was always there.

“Tranquil as a forest but on fire within
Once you find your center, you are sure to win
You're a spineless, pale, pathetic lot
And you haven't got a clue
Somehow I'll make a man out of you,” The six sang together.

“I'm never gonna catch my breath,” Brawly sang solo and added a few pants to sell the act.

“Say goodbye to those who knew me,” Valhallen continued next on his own.

“Boy, was I a fool in school for cutting gym,” Flash took over.

“This guy's got 'em scared to death,” Cherry sang solo

“Hope he doesn't see right through me,” Mystery sang the line solo.

“Now I really wish that I knew how to swim,” Ringo finished off the last of the lone vocalist section as Cherry pointed to the audience.

“Be a man,” the audience sang.

“We must be swift as the coursing river,” the six on the stage sang together as the sound waves seemed to manifest what looked a spectral river that followed from the stage.

“Be a man,” the audience repeated.

“With all the force of a great typhoon,” the six on stage continued to sing as the spectral river morphed into what could best be described a spectral storm.

“Be a man,” the audience repeated.

“With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon,” the spectral storm morphed into a spectral fire and then into a visage of a new moon.


About this time Twilight, Sunset, et al were not far from the barracks, “I don’t see why I have to apologize, he called me a benchwarmer.” Rainbow moaned.

Everyone but Sunset groaned, “Yah're really dense at times, Sugarcube.” Applejack pointed out. “Sometimes Ah wonder how you passed your Wonderbolt written exams.”

Sunset turned to Twilight, “Do I want to know?” she asked the demigod. Twilight shook her head. Sunset nodded in silence. A couple of seconds later they arrived at the barracks, as the audience sang ‘Be A Man’ for the first time and arrived just to see the spectral fire change into a visage of a new moon as the band finished the line.

“Time is racing toward us till the Huns arrive
Heed my every order and you might survive
You're unsuited for the rage of war
So pack up, go home, you're through
How could I make a man out of you?” Flash took over the song by himself, this caused all seven to stop, watch and listen all of them impressed to various degrees, but most noticeably were Rainbow and Twilight. Rainbow was utterly stunned, shocked even and was frozen in horror. Twilight, however, had a massive blush on her face and her heart started beating faster and faster, her breathing quickened, she felt as though stars about to go supernova had claimed residency in her very bones. The authority in Flash’s voice, the confidence, the force, it was almost overpowering. What Twilight, in fact, no one, seemed to notice was the pummel of Flash’s sword glittered and a faint purple light was seen in the area of his vocal cords for a split second.

“Be a man,” the audience sang.

“We must be swift as the coursing river,” Flash sang as the rest on the stage joined him as another spectral river seemed to form, this time it came ‘crashing’ down on the audience and followed among them.

“Be a man,” The audience repeated.

“With all the force of a great typhoon,” the six performers sang as the spectral river seemed to collect itself again to form a small storm.

“Be a man,” the audience repeated as they all got up from their seats.

“With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon,” The six on the stage sang as the spectral storm morphed to look like a spectral fire that set the room ablaze and then to a visage of a new moon behind the six on the stage.

“Be a man
We must be swift as the coursing river
Be a man
With all the force of a great typhoon
Be a man
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon,” for the final verse of the song the audience, sans the Rainbooms minus Pinkie, sang along with the six on the stage. And with that, the song ended and everyone sans Rainbow Dash cheered. Flash took the microphone he sang into in order to speak. “Thank you all. Sorry, that Crash Sentry had to crash the party.” everyone on the ESM support garrison and a few of the Midnight Castle retinue had a good laugh at that joke. “But I need to talk with the other performers.”

“So the Flash Drives getting back together?” a random soldier asked. The room went silent as they all waited for Flash to answer.

Flash took a breath, “With my current assignment and the assignment of the rest, I don’t think the ‘band’ will be getting back together as a band anytime soon. Maybe down the road, but not now.”

Cherry then took her mic, “But you’re going to help us win the battle of the bands?”

Flash gave a soft smile, “And miss the reunion show?” Flash asked coyly, “Cherry Bomb, I am hurt, I thought you knew me better than that.” Everyone that had a laugh before, included Cherry had another one.

Brawly then got up from his seat behind the drums and took his mic, “Take it easy, folks, we’ll be back in a few.” Ringo, Valhallan, Mystery, Flash, and Cherry then left the stage as everyone there turned to converse with each other backstage. All the others returned to their seats and started to converse.

“We should follow them.” Pinkie said as she skipped after the band.

Every one of Pinkie’s group but Sunset groaned as the six dashed after her to get behind the stage. The soldiers there still in their various conversations.

Backstage, Ringo, Brawly, Cherry, Valhallen, and Mystery actually greeted Flash with fraternal hugs. “It’s good to see you all again. So how have you guys been?” Flash asked.

Cherry reached over Flash’s head and rubbed it messing with his hair, “Oh Flashy, you know what it’s like to be a professional warrior in times of peace. It’s boring here. Not that I’m asking for a war or battle. But maybe this ain’t the best career path.”

“Hey if we didn’t take this vocation, who would?” Ringo said calmly, in an almost prophetically deep sentiment.

Everyone gave a nod before Valhallen turned back to Flash, “So brother, what brings you by?”
Flash took a breath, he didn’t want to impose himself, but he had to get his old bandmates help, “I assume you all know Sunset Shimmer is here on parole.”

“Yeah, to help with the school for training magic and to find Angus McSteer.” Mystery answered with a small shake of her head and closed eyes as if Flash was asking for someone to explain to him the obvious. Everyone else had a little chuckle at that.

Flash’s chuckle was shorter, “About that, do you know of, the Dazzlings I think is what the trio of women that arrived before I did are calling themselves.” Flash words and manner indicated that he was not entirely sure about the three. He was given reassuring nods. “Well, they found Angus.”

“Wow, I know girls can be tough, but to successfully bring a minotaur down to be brought to trial.” Mystery started to praise.

“They did bring him, or rather part of him,” Flash said with a pause, as he noted that Valhallen, Ringo, and Brawly moved away with a bit of discomfort. “His skull,” Flash said, which caused the five’s mouths to drop open. “With teeth mark.”

“What kind of teeth marks?” Brawly asked after the five looked at each other then back to Flash.

“You’re going to think I’m crazy, but the teeth mark of sirens,” Flash said with the same degree of conviction he had when he drew his sword to fight Sombra and to fight Longhorn.

Ringo took off his glasses to reveal black eyes, “Well… you’ve never given me a reason to doubt you and we do live in a world of dragons.”

The other four looked unsure at each other for a second before Cherry spoke up, “Hey if you believe them to be sirens, then they’re sirens until proven otherwise.”

“So how can we help you slay them?” Valhallen asked.

Flash shook his head, “I don’t think they can be killed in a traditional manner. Their voices have to be broken first.” Flash then looked at each of them for a solid second each before he spoke, “And while I won’t ask for a better squad to help me tackle this. The sirens are not my fight. They are Princess Twilight and her friends fight.”

The five were again shocked at this, “Are you saying we should do nothing?” Brawly asked as he was the first to collect himself.

Flash shook his head, “Not in the slightest. We take part in the battle of the bands to eliminate the other bands so that The Bearers of The Elements of Harmony can cast the counterspell to the Sirens’ Song.” Flash looked at the five and saw that they weren’t moved. “I know you guys want to win, but there’s more at stake than a competition.”

Mystery then raised her hand, “Then, why don’t we just not compete? We do run the risk of going against the Bearers if we stay in the competition.”

Flash was about to answer but he stopped himself. Mystery had a point, was his vanity and pride so important to risk eliminating Twilight before she and her friends had a chance to cast the counterspell? Sure, Rainbow Dash was a blowhard, but was showing that benchwarmer up worth dooming humanity? After few seconds of no response, “One of them thought it was a good idea to trash talk us?” Valhallen guessed. Flash nodded.

“The paladin?” Brawly asked. Flash shook his head.

“So it was the benchwarmer,” Cherry concluded. Reluctantly Flash sighed and nodded.

The five looked at each other and then Ringo spoke, “What did she say?”

Flash looked at the floor and took a breath, “Rainbow Dash said that the Guard was incompetent, that we were just kids playing hero, and that we couldn’t even open a bottle of water without catching fire.”

From among the guards on the other side of the stage, a random guard shouted, “I’m a Pyromancer! It was one time! One time! And that was during basic training!”

“Let it go, Firebrand!” everyone else shouted.

Brawly looked to the five others with him, “How did he hear that?” he asked.

“Comic relief.” Pinkie Pie answered as she seemed to just manifest right next to him.

Brawly jumped into the air and was caught by Ringo who helped the drummer back to the ground. “How did she… where did she… what is…” Brawly spattered as he tried to fathom what just happened.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t introduce myself. I’m Pinkie Pie.” Pinkie said as she offered her hand to Brawly.

“Um… pleased to meet you… I think,” Brawly said as he accepted the hand and shook it and turned to Flash. Flash nodded. “Yes, pleased.”

Pinkie the set to the side and gestured to the rest, “And these are my friends, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Twilight and Rainbow Dash.” Pinkie said as she seemed to just teleport to stand behind Applejack, followed by Rarity, Fluttershy, and Twilight and then Pinkie jumped into Rainbow Dash to have the elementalist catch her bridal style. Pinkie then looked over to see Sunset, “and you all know Sunset.” Pinkie then seemed to vanish and manifest again sitting on Valhallen’s shoulders. “So what’s your name.”

“Valhallen.” Valhallen said as he took Pinkie by her arms and got her off of him, he then pointed to Ringo, “This is Ringo,” Ringo nodded. Valhallen then pointed to Brawly, “Brawly Beats, or Brawly for short. Then we have Cherry Crash or Cherry” Valhallen said as he pointed to Cherry, who gave a pseudo salute to Pinkie. “And last we have Mystery Mint or Mystery.” Valhallen finished as he pointed to Mystery who waved at Pinkie.

“You guys were awesome. I felt like howling when you sang the ‘The dark side of the moon’,” Pinkie sang the last part and was about to howl when Applejack covered the trickster’s mouth.

Applejack shook her head, “Pardon Pinkie, Sugarcubes. When she gets excited, she can go off the rails. But yall gave everyone quite the show.” Applejack compliment the group.

The five looked at each other and nodded, “Glad you enjoy it.” Cherry said on behalf of the band.

Rarity then stepped forward, “I must admit those displays were absolutely gorgeous.”

“Thanks,” Mystery said, “I wish I could do that and play an instrument while I sing.”

“Oh darling,” Rarity said as she wagged her index finger, “you don’t need to do that. You already have the instrument, your ability to project those images.” That brought a smile to Mystery’s face.

Twilight cleared her throat as she looked at Flash and twiddled with fingers, “Well, I found that your singing was really good.” Twilight said as her face went a deep red.

“We got a blusher here!” Cherry shouted and punched Flash playfully in his right arm, “and you got a keeper, Sentry.” She then slapped Flash on his shoulder, again playfully but with a little more force than what Flash would have desired.

Rainbow Dash has spent this time looking away and silent and finally spoke, “You guys were…” She paused as she looked at her fingernails, “kinda sorta okay-ish, I’ll give you that. But you ain’t no Wonderbolt and no match to the Rainbooms.”

Suddenly everyone was quiet and the temperature seemed to drop ten to twenty degrees. The five that performed with Flash all glared at Rainbow Dash, “I don’t think I heard what you just said.” Ringo said as he pulled on his ear and put his hand to it. “Care to run that by us again?”

As Rainbow was about to speak, “Don’t do it, Rainbow. It’s a trap.” Fluttershy tried to caution her best friend but to no avail.

Rainbow brush Fluttershy’s concern to the side. “I said, you were kinda, sorta, okay-ish. I’ll give you that, but you ain’t no Wonderbolts and no match to the Rainbooms.” She finished as she crossed her arms over her chest. As she spoke she ignored every one of her band and Sunset making gestures to non-verbally instruct her to remain silent.

There was a pause before Cherry lunged at Rainbow ready to kill the elementalist there and then, but was stopped by Flash, “Let me at that little hussy! I know exactly where she put her water bottle!”

“I doubt it. You’ll be waving your standard in ten seconds flat. Oh and by the way it’s the white one.” Rainbow added.

This time Valhallen roared and charged, but before he could do anything he was stopped by Brawly and Ringo, “I am from the Eastern Fjords, you troglodyte! The white shield means ‘I’m willing to talk’ not ‘I give up.’ But very soon I’ll teach you what the red shield means.”

Flash, Brawly, and Ringo, were able to force Cherry and Valhallen back, “Now everybody, calm down!” he ordered as his vocal cords glowed slightly purple. His focus shifted to the other ESM, “Don’t let her get under your skin.”

Rainbow could not help but smirk and elect to egg the situation on, “Man, why so agitated?” she laughed oblivious to her friends trying to get her to be quiet, “I didn’t say anything that wasn’t true.” She then took a couple steps closer and grinned, “What’s the matter can’t handle it?”

There was stunned silence from everyone else as the space around them seemed to get colder. Ringo then spoke in a very flat tone, “You, blunderbolt benchwarmer, you’re going down. Hard.”

Brawly then cracked his neck, “I hope you’re hungry because when the Battle of the Bands starts, we’re going to make you eat those words.” The five started to walk away.

Flash ran to be in front of the other five, “Guys, what about the Sirens?” Flash asked as he tried to stop the others from leaving the area in anger, “The Bearers have to be the ones who have to face them. Remember?” he pleaded.

Cherry walked up to Flash, “Well, I say we enter, face the Sirens, and cast the counterspell ourselves.” Mystery, Ringo, and Brawly nodded.

Valhallen then spoke, “Yeah, why should we let a group of civilians and a benchwarmer do our job?” he asked pointing back to Bearers and Sunset.

“Because you can’t even beat a Timberwolf pup.” Rainbow chimed in. As she added on, her friends could feel the blazing inferno of anger and the metallic chill of wounded pride that radiated from Flash and his bandmates. The other Element Bearers and Sunset each raised a hand and promptly slapped their palms onto their faces.

Ringo turned to face Rainbow Dash, he took a breath, “Alright, benchwarmer, you want to throw down the gauntlet, well it’s has been thrown down. Time to step-up or step-off.” The five then started to leave again, Brawly all but shoving Flash out of the way.

“Guys, no!” Flash pleaded as he tried to stop them.

The five stopped and turned to look at Flash, Brawly pointed at Flash, “Don’t pretend you don’t want it, too!” The all nodded in agreement.

Valhallen then spoke up, “Sorry, Sentry, but we can’t just take that lying down.” He then turned his gaze towards Rainbow Dash and then back to Flash, “We’ve got to enter and beat those monsters ourselves. So are you in or out?” Flash froze in utter disbelief.

Mystery then spoke up, “Sleep on it.” she was the calmest of the five, “We’ll see you in the morning. We got to get back to the show.” The bandmates then went back to the stage. As they left, they shot daggers with their eyes at Rainbow Dash. Flash turned to the Bearers and Sunset. He looked at Twilight with an apologetic frown, before he turned to give Dash a death glare and left the area.

After Flash left, Twilight turned to Rainbow, “What did you just do?!”

“I told those losers off.” Rainbow’s tone indicated that she failed to see what she did was neither the smart thing nor the right thing.

Applejack groaned, “Flash was trying to get them on our side.” Applejack wanted to yell, but held herself back, “Now, yah’ve gone and turned them against us.”

Fluttershy looked away from the group and through the curtains to see the band prepare for their next number, “Oh, what if they get hurt trying to take on the Sirens?” Fluttershy asked as she turned back to the others, “They’ve never taken on threats like them before.”

Rainbow Dash chuckled at that, “They’ll probably be out before they even get a chance to take on the Sirens.” the rest groaned and started to walk away.

Pinkie turned to face Rainbow, “You just didn't want to admit that they were good.” Pinkie pointed out.

“B-b-but they WEREN’T good.” Rainbow challenged but was ignored by the others.

Unbeknownst to everyone, there was a green mist which was pulled away by three glowing rubies.


After the seven left the garrison, Sunset spoke up, “Maybe we should try making amends with the Shadowbolts?” Everyone looked at her then at Rainbow Dash, then back to her, “Maybe without Rainbow there.”

Rainbow Dash gave a huff in indignation as they walked into three women about their age. One was Trixie Lulamoon, standing to Trixie’s right had long blonde hair and purple eyes, this was Lavender Lace and the one on Trixie’s left had shorter magenta hair with light blue eyes, this was Fuchsia Blush. Both Lavender and Fuchsia were dressed matching Trixie, not unlike bridesmaids of a bride that while wants to still stand out but also wanted her bridesmaids to look similar enough. “Well, well, well, Isn’t Rainbow Crash, so how’s flight school?” Trixie asked in a clearly mocking manner. She then turned to Applejack, “Crab Apple, so how’s the glorified pig pen?” Trixie then turned to Rarity, “Oh Dramity, love the hair, could use a little… green,” Trixie mocked the three. She then turned to see Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, “Oh hey, pink twins.” Trixie dismissed the jester and the druid. Trixie then turned to “TWILIGHT SPARKLE!” Trixie all but roared.

“Hello, Trixie,” Twilight said as she gritted her teeth in a desperate attempt to be diplomatic. “Any reason why you’re making fun of my friends?” she sighed as she recalled the last two run-ins with the illusionist, “Again.” she stated flatly before she tone shifted to be more like a teacher’s hands were tired but still had to deal with a problem student, “I thought you learned your lesson from the last time we saw each other.”

Trixie smirked at first before she started to relay her tale, “After the Great and Powerful Trixie apologized and left Magiville, vowing to never return,” her tone was a strange cross of being both cocky and melodramatic, “she wandered across Mystica, looking for a place that would appreciate her talents but found none.” She said as she faked fainting.

Rainbow groaned at first and then thought of something, “Wait, you’re an illusionist, right?”

Trixie collected herself, “Obviously I am.”

“Then, why didn’t you just join a circus or go to Las Magus or something?” Rainbow asked not beating around the bush. “Geez, you are a drama queen.”

Trixie glared at Rainbow before she answered, “The Great and Powerful Trixie has standards and the magic shows of Las Magus require compromises no woman should make.” Trixie informed. “There’s a reason why the phrase ‘Greed is Las Magus’ second favorite vice’ exists.” she pointed out.

“It’s true, Ah’d rather help the FlimFlam brothers than set foot in the wretched hive of scum and villainy.” Applejack compounded.

“You know, morality and legality aren’t the same things,” Twilight pointed out.

Before anyone else could speak, “Ahem, as the Great and Powerful Trixie was saying before she was so rudely interrupted, she found no place that appreciated her talents. And while the rock farm she was employed under was extraordinarily profitable for Trixie,” Trixie giggled a little, “She needed to show the world what she has to offer.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow, “So yah saying yah had trouble making a living from yahr show.”

Trixie growled far from happy about what the paladin said, “She doesn’t need to make a living; she has more funds than she knows what to do with. There was this one gig where she was paid to make a chimpanzee with a lame foot look like a satyr, make a snake appear as Jörmungandr, a toothless lion like a manticore, a tiny spider look like a monstrous take on Arachne and a plain white mare like a unicorn. It didn’t last that long.” Trixie informed but then grunted, “But, yes,” Trixie rolled her eyes in the confession, “Anyway, the Great and Powerful Trixie traversed through blistering cold and scorching desert for many days and nights, risking life and limb, until she arrived at Midnight Castle. The local residents were in awe of Trixie’s prowess. Even the simplest of illusions captured their attention.”

“That’s mostly because innate magic was only recently discovered here.” Sunset elaborated matter-of-factly.

Trixie glared at Sunset, “Regardless, the Great and Powerful Trixie has managed to receive the recognition she deserves here. And with the help of her assistants, Lavender Lace and Fuchsia Blush” Trixie gestured to the two women, who nodded upon their respective introduction. “She’ll claim victory in the battle of the bands.”

“Fat chance.” Rainbow chimed in. “I got an actual band and we’re going to wipe the floor with you.”

Trixie huffed in dismissal, “And what did you call yourselves, Sparkle and the Rainbooms.”

“Just the Rainbooms, actually,” Fluttershy spoke up.

“Well, The Great and Powerful Trixie and the Illusionists look forward to seeing you go boom. Ciao, Rainbow.” Trixie then threw a smoke bomb and she, Lavender and Fuchsia were all gone, when it cleared.

“SHE’S GONE!” Pinkie shouted only to turn to her left and look down the path, “Nope, there she is.” Pinkie pointed to Trixie failing to climb a wall while Lavender and Fuchsia both groaned as they had to pull her up and over the wall.

While Applejack, Rainbow, and Rarity had a few laughs at Trixie botched escape, Twilight sighed as she hung her head, “First Flash, then the Shadowbolts, then any shot of getting the garrison to help, and now we have Trixie to contend with, and that’s not even addressing the sirens. This can’t get any worse.”

Sunset placed her hand on Twilight’s shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. “I’d hold off on the doom and gloom. Flash might be able to convince the garrison band to turn around in the morning, and maybe after some sleep, the Shadowbolts will also come around.” Twilight looked up to Sunset, she was not fully convinced, but it was something she needed to hear. Sunset then looked out the window. “But right now, let's get you girls somewhere to stay for the night, while Cinch is still a stickler, she’s still bound by the laws of hospitality.” Sunset then led the way.


Hours later and with everyone starting to clear out of the garrison’s bar, Flash walked out and into the hallway. He wanted to get his bandmates to reconsider, but he wasn’t sure how to go about it. He took a deep breath and started to think. He was lost in thought when he heard a woman’s voice, “Poor unfortunate soul.” followed by a series of ‘tutt, tutt, tutt’. He raised his head and saw the Dazzlings. “It must suck to know your girl’s friends will undermine you.” It was Adagio who was speaking, her voice hinted to being sympathy and concern, but there was a subtle jab in, even as she walked up to him, acting like she cared, with Aria and Sonata a few steps back with their heads down, eyes closed and small frowns on their face.

Flash took a step back, “I don’t believe we’ve met.” he said as he looked over the three, not trusting any of them.

Adagio smirked and her demeanor changed to one much more confident and, well, self-serving as place her hand on his shoulder, “But by now you have heard of us, I’m Adagio.” she said as she placed her hand on her chest, she then stepped to the side and pointed to Aria and Sonata, “The grump is Aria and the airhead is Sonata.” she introduced her sisters. Flash expected them to protest, instead, the two walked up towards him. “You have quite the voice, able to make a demigod lose all control.” Adagio leaned in a whispered. She then panted into his ear twice, “I feel ablaze just thinking about it.” she panted twice more. Flash rapidly took step back and reached for his sword only to see that the sword, scabbard, and belt were off him and in Sonata’s hands.

“This is actually a pretty small sword, Dagi,” Sonata said as she looked at it.

“Clearly he’s not compensating for anything,” Aria smirked as she commented on the sword as she took the blade out of the scabbard and put it back in. “This is definitely a demon-slayer.” Sonata then tossed the sword back to Flash, “I bet the real thing is a god-layer.” The three then smirked as their eyes drifted to below Flash’s belt as he strapped his sword belt back on.

“Excuse me?” Flash asked he stumbled back a step. “Now, ladies, I am not interested in what you’re offering.”

Adagio leaned against the wall and looked at her nails, “Of course you’re not.” Adagio said, “We’ve been around this block before, you’re one of those few good men out there.” She complimented Flash, but Flash could not shake the feeling that she also slapped him across the face with the back of her left hand at the same time. Flash turned around and started to walk away, “But the little princess might not be able to handle a dragon, like yours.” Adagio mocked.

Flash stopped right where he was. He was not going to let this… harlot continue her mockery of Twilight. He turned around to face them “You presume too much.” Flash stated bluntly.

Sonata suddenly materialized on his left and began to pinch both of his cheeks. “Aww, Dagi, he's so stinkin’ cute,” she said. She stopped pinching him, dematerialized and rematerialized next to Adagio. “Can we keep him?” she asked, making puppy eyes at her sister. “Please.”

“I'm not a dog,” Flash protested, rubbing his cheeks.

The three all had a chuckle, which prompted him to glare at them. Adagio stopped first as she walked up to him and leaned into his face as sniffed him. She smirked as she leaned back, “Well you know your way around, I’ll give you that.” She then placed her hand on his belt and tugged at it once before she let go, “but it seems you never got the chance to pull the trigger.”

Flash glared and scowled at Adagio, “That was my choice.”

“Oh, he's so noble and sweet,” Sonata gushed. “I just wanna put him in a little box and suffocate him and then eat his remains for dessert.” Sonata continued blissfully. Flash's jaw dropped. There were no appropriate words for how weird and frightening that statement was. Judging by the look on her sisters’ faces, they felt the same way.

Adagio recovered first. “Anyway, back to our original topic,” she said. “You really are a gentleman.” She laughed a few times as Aria and Sonata snickered. Adagio then stopped, “But there’s one massive problem with you.”

Flash raised an eyebrow, “And what pray tell is that?”

Adagio closed her eyes and shook her head, “You’re in the wrong place, thinking about the wrong question.” Before Flash could ask to have Adagio clarify, Adagio opened her eyes again, “The rainbow-haired bimbo lost some very critical potential allies for your precious little princess and her little ‘counterspell’, Adagio used her finger to make quote marks as she said ‘counterspell’ before she placed her hand on her hips. “And with her friends at each other’s throats, what she needs now is for someone to hold her and let her know that it’s all going to work out. That her ‘plan’ will come together.” Adagio elaborated.

“In short, dummy, she needs you to be a lover, not a warrior,” Aria summed up as she and Sonata joined Adagio.

Flash then reached for his sword, “I could kill you three, right here, right now.”

“But you’re not,” Adagio said as she walked to Flash and moved his hand from the hilt of his blade and entwined her fingers with his. “You’re going to trust your little princess’ plan and when it fails…” she then kissed him on the lips. Flash froze in horror, not only that she would do it, but that he wasn’t fighting back. After a second she broke it, “Well, let’s just say, the door’s open.” Adagio smirked as she took a step back as Flash wiped his lips and tried to spit the taste of her lips off. She gave a laugh before she spoke again. “Of course, you could also try to assure her, but if you’re not fast enough, she’ll find comfort in some else’s arms.”

Flash glared and growled, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“She’s alone and scared and her friends are close to killing each other, she needs to know she’s safe, and if you’re not going to do it, someone else might give her the lies she wants to hear,” Aria explained.

Flash remained resolute, “She wouldn’t do that, there’s no other guy here she trusts.” Flash pointed out.

“Who said it was going to be a guy?” Sonata asked as if she was confused. “I mean that Sunset Shimmer seems to understand her in a way you don’t right now.” She continued to point out.

Flash didn’t say a word, he just turned around and walked away. Not noticing that Adagio’s focus gem had been glowing the entire time, but the Sirens saw that his irises were not blue, but the same shade of orange as Adagio’s focus gem. “Things are going better than I could ever have planned.” Adagio chuckled.


A few hours later, after the Rainbooms were more or less settled in their rooms, as the night wore on Sunset could not find sleep. She elected to get up and see how Twilight was faring. She arrived at the chambers Twilight was staying in and noticed the door was unlocked and slightly open. “No. That's not gonna work.” she heard Twilight say as she opened the door to see Twilight at a desk with parchment and quill, and a large pile of used parchment.

“You're up late,” Sunset commented as she leaned on the doorway, while her stance was much like how she once spoke down to Twilight when Twilight was coronated, her tone was softer, less harsh, in fact, she sounded like she was the vulnerable one of the two.

Twilight looked away from her work, or more accurately the lack thereof. “Just looking over the counter-spell. We only get one shot at this. It has to be perfect.”

“You know you don’t have to try to make a song on the spot, you can incorporate the spell as part of a song already written.” Sunset pointed out as she walked over and looked at and through all the discarded parchment. She then stacked them to be recycled, “But still,” her tone dropped and she looked away, ashamed of herself as she looked out the window in the chambers, “it must be nice to have everyone always looking to you for answers to their problems…” She turned to look back at Twilight then to the floor, “instead of waiting for you to cause a problem.”

Twilight’s focus was on what she was writing on, “Just because everyone expects something from you doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen.” she sighed as she put the quill down.

“Well, that doesn't stop them from expecting it.” Sunset pointed out more so about herself than for Twilight, but it was true for both of them.

Twilight continued, “Which only makes things harder because the last thing you want to do is…”

The two both spoke at the same time, “...let everybody down.” The two stopped and looked at each other and each gave a small smile that hinted to their mutual understanding of each other, at least for the moment. From Twilight’s eyes, the starlight and moonlight seemed to contrast with Sunset’s hair, giving her surprising argent glow. From Sunset’s the orange light of the candle, seemed to reflect off of Twilight, giving her a dawn-like glow. For a brief moment, the two’s hearts raced slightly. The two then looked away from each other, each with a slight blush.

Sunset then looked out the window, and coughed a little, “I’d better get some sleep. Good luck with the counter-spell. Not that you'll need it.” As Sunset was about to leave she turned back to Twilight, “This must be nothing compared with the stuff you're expected to deal with as a princess.”

Twilight smiled as she knew that Sunset was trying to comfort her, but as Sunset was about to step out, she called out, “Sunset?” as if she wanted to say something else. Sunset stopped and turned back. Twilight hesitated and then sighed, “...Never mind. It's not important.” Sunset nodded and left. After Sunset was gone, Twilight looked at the parchment she was writing on, she got up and shut the door, “No, I have to be able to do this.” Twilight sighed again as she went back to the desk, sighed and blew out the candle that was lit, “I have to.”


Outside Flash come to where Twilight was staying and was going to see how Twilight was doing. However, while he was a ways off he saw Sunset leave Twilight’s chambers. He was dumbstruck, Flash shook his head in utter disbelief. “Twilight,” he muttered as he looked at the ground, “she.. she .. would… no... Adagio can’t be... she just can’t…” Flash turned and went back to the barracks, a single tear shed from his right eye as the irises flashed red and the whites flashed lime-green for a second. “I’ll show them,” he muttered a twinge of rage in his voice, “I’ll show them all.” His irises were again orange.

Author's Note:

Song used:

Well more this cover, musically:

Well, things are getting worse and worse for Twilight.