• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 367 Views, 1 Comments

The Lost Legends of Equestria: The Shadow King - Silver Inkwell



How did King Sombra ever rise to power? What was he like? Was he strong, weak, evil, normal? Read and find out.

  • ...
 1
 367

Prologue

Prologue

King Sombra gazed down at his crystal ponies with pride, he had finally done it, he thought to himself, he had finally built an empire in which he could rule over and dominate, and not just for years as most rulers like queens and kings, but centuries instead, for he had discovered the secret to immortal life.

But the price he had to pay for it… it was a heavy one, and he did not like to think of it or remember it, for it only weakened him, and he would not be a weak leader like all the others before him, he would be strong, he had to be strong, and not just for this empire or the pony citizens, but for Equestria too.

For it too had weak leaders and rulers, all of them were pathetic and naïve.

They thought that ‘friendship’ would solve all their problems, but it wouldn’t, only power would, and you and to gain that power any way possible, whether by spreading hope and love and kindness and generosity, or by sending a message of fear and cruelty and selfishness and hate to the pony citizens.

The citizens after all did have to learn to fear and respect their leaders so that there would never ever be a revolt or rebellion of any kind, and it worked out quite well too, every pony was under his will, his power, his command, his word could and would determine if a pony would live or died, and he loved the power that he held, and he would do anything to make sure that he kept it.

He would do anything, or at least the king would, but maybe perhaps not him.

For you see, King Sombra had not always had a ‘heart black as night’, he was once just a regular normal ordinary unicorn, no more different or special than the rest, no odder or more unusual, except that he was, and in more ways than just his cutie mark or one. He once had dreams and fears and hopes and ideas just like every pony else, and like all the others he wanted to pursue them and his passions, but unlike every pony else, when failure came, he took it… well… differently. And when it came to the studies of magic, he also took it… well… differently of course. But despite all that he had now as King, there was much that he lost, and the one thing that he never ever really had was a friend.

Perhaps maybe if he just one that might have changed things, but then again, maybe perhaps not, because some people, I mean ponies, they will become or change into something worse no matter what we or others try to do to help out.

And so it was the case with him, but what was his real story that he hid?

Where did he come from, how did he become this way, who was he really?

If you want to find out the answers then keep reading, if not, well then, that’s you own loss, isn’t it? Anyhow our story begins long ago in the Kingdom itself.