• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 695 Views, 5 Comments

PonyConned - Green Akers



A trio of con artists arrive in Ponyville and proceed to scam a small fortune from its residents.

  • ...
0
 5
 695

Vs. Twilight Sparkle

About an hour later...

As he stood in front of his new stove in the new kitchen of his new home, Lucky took a moment to marvel at his good fortune. Not only had the boss given him his very first job, but the Diamond Dog's resulting score had been the biggest haul in the gang's history, and even included an awesome hideout! If this wasn't the greatest day of his life, it was certainly in the top five.

"Come on, bone breath!" a gruff voice yelled from another room. "Make with the cooking already!"

"Sorry, boss!" Lucky started rifling through the cabinets nearby, grabbing everything that looked even remotely edible and tossing it all into a pot of water. After collecting enough ingredients, he turned the stove burner on full power, mindful of how much the boss hated waiting for dinner. He spent the next few minutes watching his stew boil and poking at various items in the stew with a fork, then decided that it was done enough for the group's purposes and left to spread the good news.

Lucky found his griffon and stallion partners biding time in the next room. The griffon sat on a nearby couch scratching at a few gems with her claws, while the stallion sat on the floor letting a pile of bits run through his hooves. "Foxy! Helga!" Lucky shouted. "The soup's ready!"

In an instant, the stallion was off of the floor and nose-to-nose with Lucky. "It's 'Silver Fox,' you flea-ridden fathead!" he shouted. "If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, never call me Foxy!"

Lucky cowered under Silver Fox's glare. "S-s-sorry, boss."

Silver Fox stared angrily at Lucky for an extra few seconds. "I'll let it go this time since I'm such an understanding pony," he finally said, "but don't let it happen again." He turned his back to Lucky and went back to his bits. "Now go back and keep an eye on the stove! We don't want this place to end up like our last hideout."

"Oops! The stove!" Lucky turned and scurried back into the kitchen.

"Dumb dog," Silver Fox grumbled. "I ought to make him sleep outside with the rest of the rodents around here."

Helga rolled her eyes. "Give it a rest, would you? You should be happy—no one ever calls me foxy."

"Gosh, I can't imagine why," Silver Fox muttered sarcastically. "What are you doing, anyway? Playing with your stupid rocks again?"

"Hey, these 'rocks' made you a thousand bits today!" Helga took two of the gems she had been carving and pressed them together, their contours fitting together perfectly. "You heard that fashion pony today. She called my sash kaleidoscopic!"

"Your sash?" Silver Fox shot back. "Don't forget, it was my magic that fused those stones together!"

"Yeah, but it was my artistic vision. You just did the grunt work." Helga yawned, stretched, and cast a weary glance back at Silver Fox. "So how long are we gonna stay here, anyway?"

"I dunno," Silver Fox said. "Two, maybe three months."

"Months?" Helga nearly fell off of the couch in surprise. "But you always say—"

"'If you stay three weeks or more, you'll be behind a jailhouse door,' yes, I know," Silver Fox interrupted. "But that's only if you're dealing with normal, intelligent ponies, not dim bulbs like the yokels around here." He laughed and dumped a pile of bits over his head. "This town's got more suckers than a lollipop factory!"

"No argument here," Helga said. "When Lucky can get some dumb pony to fork over her house, you know you're in the right place."

"Precisely!" Silver Fox said. "We'll make a fortune in no time!"

Suddenly, a loud knocking at the door brought both Helga and Silver Fox to an upright position in a hurry. "Blast it all!" Silver Fox cursed as he grabbed a nearby sack and started shoveling the money on the floor into it. "Go see who's at the door, and get rid of them!"

"Right." Helga hurried over to a window next to the front door, pushing a large bureau out of the way and peeling back the curtain to get a look at their visitor. "Holy flying feather!" she screeched, turning and racing back to where the stallion was picking up bits. "The jig's up!" she shouted. "It's that new princess pony chick, and she's brought an army with her!"

"What?!" Silver Fox dropped his bag and hurried over to the front window to see for himself. Sure enough, Twilight Sparkle was standing at the door in full princess regalia, surrounded by six other ponies covered in armor from head to hindquarters whose faces were hidden by their helmets.

"What are we gonna do?" Helga whimpered.

"We're going to stay calm!" Silver Fox whispered. "For one thing, these dolts don't know that anypony's home!"

"Hi there!" The two con artists turned to see Twilight waving at them through the window. "Can I come in?" Twilight asked.

"...Okay, maybe they do," Silver Fox said. "But we're innocent until proven guilty, and they don't have a shred of evidence against us!" He shoved Helga away from the window. "Now go hide the loot while I distract them!"

As Helga scurried away, Silver Fox took a deep breath, put on his biggest smile, and opened the door. "Why, Princess Twilight! What a pleasant surprise!" He bowed to the princess. "I am honored to stand in your presence."

"Thank you, sir." Twilight returned Silver Fox's bow. "Do you have a moment? I would like to talk with you about an important matter."

"Of course, princess." Silver Fox stepped outside, making sure to close the front door behind him.

Twilight leaned in close to Silver Fox. "Well, as you have probably heard," she whispered, "since my coronation, I have been given many responsibilities pertaining to the governance of Equestria, and have received a large tract of land to rule as my own."

"Er, have you now?" Silver Fox said. "I, uh, had not heard anything about this."

"Of course you haven't," Twilight said, her smile fading to a scowl. "You know why? Because I haven't gotten anything yet!" She stomped a hoof on the ground in frustration. "Here I am, a fully-coronated princess, the rightful heir to the throne of Equestria, confined to a pithy little backwater town and left to rule over a pile of dusty old books and letters while those two haggard old crones in Canterlot laugh at the world while sitting on my throne!"

One of the armored ponies stepped forward. "Sire, please! Hold your tongue!" the pony cautioned, their eyes locked firmly on Silver Fox. "We do not know about this one."

"But it's just not fair!" Twilight pouted. "You don't think it's fair, do you, sir?"

"Well, uh... No! Not at all!" Silver Fox stammered. "Why, this is an outright disgrace, a travesty of the highest order!"

Twilight smiled. "I knew I could trust you," she said. "That is why I came here to ask for your assistance."

"My assistance?" Silver Fox scratched his head as he looked at Twilight. "What do you mean?"

Twilight swept one of her hooves towards the five armored ponies that remained behind her. "I am raising an army against the tyrants Celestia and Luna," she said. "When the time is right, we shall march on Canterlot, and take by force the title that is rightfully mine!"

"An army?" Silver Fox arched an eyebrow at Twilight. "Er, pardon my ignorance, princess, but are you sure that will be enough? The stories that I've heard about the power of the Royal Sisters—"

"Are all true," Twilight admitted. "That is why I have made an alliance with the Zebra Nation, so that together we can create powerful enough magic to bring even Celestia to her knees."

The armored pony next to Twilight removed her helmet to reveal that she was not actually a pony at all, but a zebra. "Our rulers know a magic spell," the zebra said, "to send those sisters straight to—"

"Well then!" Silver Fox interrupted. "It certainly looks like you've got all your bases covered, milady! But I still don't understand what you need with me."

"The zebras must appeal to their elder spirits for the power we need," Twilight explained. "To do that, they must give the spirits an offering equivalent to the favor they are asked."

The zebra at Twilight's side nodded. "We must appeal to the powers that be, powers that do not work for free."

"Okay..." Silver Fox eyed the zebra warily. "So the bottom line is you need cash."

"Yes," Twilight said. "My own funds are managed and tracked by the princesses in Canterlot, so we are forced to ask for under-the-table donations from like-minded individuals such as yourself."

"I see." An impish grin spread across Silver Fox's face as the wheels turned in his mind. "I must admit my trepidation with your offer, your Highness. Taking on the Royal Sisters is a risky proposition, and should your movement fail, I doubt Celestia would look fondly upon its backers. Perhaps if there were something you could offer in return for my help..."

"Of course," Twilight said. "If our plan succeeds, we would certainly reimburse anything you could give us, and much more, from the castle's private treasury."

"Private treasury?" Silver Fox's ears perked up.

"Oh yes," Twilight said with a smile. "The catacombs underneath Canterlot Castle are filled with riches as far as the eye can see, and believe me, I've seen them. Celestia once told me that she thought there were several billion bits down there."

Silver Fox's eyes popped wide open, and his jaw dropped to the ground. "B-b-billions? You mean, like, with a b?"

Twilight nodded. "Help me take the crown, and you'll be handsomely rewarded for your trouble."

Silver Fox jumped up and saluted Twilight. "Princess Twilight, you have my full and unfettered cooperation!" he said. "Please excuse me for a moment while I break the news to my colleagues—trust me, they feel the same way as I do."

"Thank you, kind sir." Twilight bowed as Silver Fox scurried back into the house.

A few of the armored ponies behind Twilight began to giggle. "Stay in character!" Twilight whispered. "We're almost there!"

After a few minutes, Silver Fox, Helga, and Lucky emerged from the house holding large bags of bits.

"Here it is!" Silver Fox dropped his bags at Twilight's hooves. "Why, I'll bet there's almost five thousand bits here!"

"We're totally on board with you, Princess Twilight!" Helga gushed. "We, uh, never liked those other princesses anyway!"

Lucky placed the cottage deed on top of the bits at Twilight's hooves. "You can have the house, and everything in it too!" he said. "Anything to help Princess Twilight!"

Twilight bowed her head to the scam artists. "Thank you all," she said politely. "Such generosity will not go unrewarded." She turned to the armored ponies behind her. "These poor citizens have no place to stay. Please, take them to our headquarters and see to it that they are taken care of."

"Yes, ma'am!" the armored ponies shouted in unison.

One of the armored ponies stepped forward and gestured for the con artists to follow them. As the scammers happily complied, the armored pony winked at Twilight. "I reckon we can find some room for these here kindhearted souls," she said. "In fact, I'm thinkin' a few of those rooms in the basement of City Hall would work just fine."

"My sentiments exactly." Twilight forced a smile and waved at the con artists as they were taken away. "Those crooks will find out once and for all that crime doesn't pay."