• Published 14th Jan 2017
  • 1,727 Views, 23 Comments

Cruel Twist Of Fate or (Friendship Is Tragic) - SapphireWings999



My wife, my friends, I've lost them all. Why did it have to be me? What have I done to deserve this?

  • ...
6
 23
 1,727

Chapter II: Disney Movies, Wal-Mart, And A Big Lipped Alligator Moment

A couple hours later, we had made our way through both Snow White And The Seven Dwarves and Pinocchio when I stopped to ask the girls about their thoughts on both movies.

“So what’d ya guys think?”

“Well I really enjoyed the first picture and I found the second one to be… interesting,” Rarity stated.

“I thought they were pretty cool,” Rainbow replied.

“Me too,” Pinkie agreed.

“I thought that, for a first film, Snow White was pretty decently put together in spite of having a rather one-dimensional villain and a prince without much of a personality,” Twilight explained, “and Pinocchio, in my opinion, was a well-crafted cautionary tale about the dangers of misbehavior.”

“Ah found ‘em ta be rather enjoyable,” Applejack followed.

“I liked them fine,” Fluttershy started, “but I wasn’t as much a fan of the scarier moments.”

“That’s understandable, Flutters,” I answered back. “Those scenes did scare me when Ah was younger ‘n still kinda do even now, ‘specially that scene when Lampwick turned inta that jackass.”

“It made me think of the last time you were in Equestria when you were slowly turning into a pony and how freaked out you were. I never understood your fear until just now watching that scene. I see now how something like that could’ve scarred you the way it did.”

“Ah ‘ppreciate yer understandin. Somethin' that ya guys might be surprised ta know is that Snow White And The Seven Dwarves was considered a big gamble by its creator, Walt Disney. Ev’ryone said that there was no way that anyone would ever watch a full-length animated feature. Ah can only imagine how they must’ve kicked themselves afterwards. At tha Oscars that year, an awards show celebrating tha best in movies, Walt Disney received an honorary Oscar made of one large Oscar statuette with seven smaller Oscar statuettes next ta it.

“Additionally, Pinocchio is regarded by many critics ta be tha mos' perfect animated movie ever created. In fact, a large group o’ movie critics gave it an extremely rare 100% rating. That’s almost unheard of.”

“Wow! That is amazing!” Rainbow remarked, enthusiastically.

“That it is. Nowadays, animated movies are big money.”

“So what movie’s next?”

“Next is somethin' a little different. Tha movie is called Fantasia, but it’s not really a movie. It’s more along tha lines of animated shorts set ta classical music.”

“Well that sounds like it might have a nice bit of culture to it,” Rarity replied, cheerfully. “I’m in.”

“Couldn’t agree more,” Twilight affirmed.

“It sounds like it would be very calming,” Fluttershy stated with a soft smile.

“Eh. It might be worth checking out,” Rainbow consented.

And so I put the DVD in and started the movie. The girls all seemed to be fascinated by the animation paired up with the music from Toccata and Fugue in D Minor to The Sorcerer’s Apprentice to the finale with Night on Bald Mountain and the Ave Maria. After a couple of hours, the movie was over as Savannah turned to our guests for their reactions.

“So how’d you guys like it?” she questioned.

“That. Was. AWESOME!!!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “I mean, at first I wasn’t as enthusiastic about it, but after a while I really got into it. I particularly liked Rite of Spring and Night on Bald Mountain.”

“Night on Bald Mountain was fine enough,” Rarity started, “but I wasn’t as much a fan of those women with their exposed-” she cleared her throat “-bosoms. Now, as for me, I really enjoyed Dance of the Hours.”

“My personal favorite was The Pastoral Symphony,” Twilight stated. “Just the variety of mythological creatures was enough to capture my attention.”

“I loved The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, especially for that adorable little mouse character,” Fluttershy replied with quiet enthusiasm.

“Ahh yes. That was Mickey Mouse, Disney’s mos’ famous icon,” I explained. “He was created by Walt Disney himself all tha way back in 1928, almos’ 90 years ago, ‘n Mickey’s been tha official mascot o’ Disney ever since. Fantasia was actually famous fer pioneerin’ tha whole idea of music videos. Music itself is already a major art-form, but videos that accompany songs have become just as marketable ‘n important.”

I soon realized how late it was as I looked at my watch.

“Wow! Ah didn’t realize how late it had gotten.”

“Ah reckon it’s bout time we all get some shut eye,” Applejack replied with a yawn.

“Where will we sleep, though?” Pinkie asked.

“Easy,” I answered. “We have three additional bedrooms upstairs that tha six of ya can share. Two to a room works out rather nicely.”

“Thanks, David. We really appreciate you being able to accommodate us on such short notice,” Fluttershy smiled.

“Hey. Anythin’ fer ma friends. Now if y’all’ll excuse us, me ‘n Savannah are gonna call it a night.”

“See you girls in the morning,” Savannah replied cheerfully.

The girls all said their goodnights before heading upstairs with bags in tow as I followed behind Savannah. Taking off my clothes and settling in for the night next to Savannah, I began thinking about the next few weeks that lay ahead, how we’d be able to spend some quality time with our friends. With those thoughts in mind, I slowly drifted off into deep, restful sleep, all the while never knowing what I would face later that night.

* * * * * * * *

I was walking along Old Orchard Beach the next morning with Savannah, Ariel on my shoulders, and my friends by my side. Everything about this day was perfect. The sun was shining, the waves were beating against the shore in their repetitive, yet soothing, cycle, and I was getting to spend time with some of those whom I cared most about. Nothing could possibly ruin this moment.

However, without any warning, the sun was swiftly blotted out by a towering figure standing above us, its black shadow swallowing up any light around us. In our panic, we started running as far as we could from this behemoth, but there was nowhere to escape too. Reaching out a clawed hand, the figure snatched up Savannah and brought her up to its face. I could make out jagged teeth oozing a tarry black substance and glowing red eyes.

“SAVANNAH!!!” I called out fearfully. “Put her down you freak!!!”

But the figure paid no attention to me as it devoured Savannah, swallowing her in one gulp.

“NOOOOO!!!” I cried out in anguish.

As my friends were swallowed up by the darkness one by one and the darkness started to close in around me, I held Ariel close, shutting my eyes tightly. Terrified that I would lose everyone I held closest, I prayed more than anything else that this would all end.

* * * * * * * *

It was then that I opened my eyes and sat up, gasping in a cold sweat. Looking over at Savannah sleeping quietly next to me, I carefully got up out of bed so as not to wake her before putting on a robe and stepping out of our room, heading towards our back deck to look out at the ocean. Whenever something was troubling me, I would frequently stand on the deck and look out at the ocean. If there happened to be a full moon out, I would consider that a bonus. Unfortunately, the moon was nowhere to be seen that night. Closing my eyes, I let myself get lost in the calming lull of the waves.

“Can’t sleep either?” a familiar voice asked.

“AHH!!!” I shouted, startled by this sudden voice, before turning around to see Twilight standing behind me in dark sapphire PJs with the constellations on them.

“Oh my gosh!!! I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“It’s a’ight,” I replied, letting my nerves settle a bit more. “Ah didn’ know anyone else was awake.”

“From the looks of it, it appears to be just you and me.”

“So what’re you doin’ up? Is everythin’ O.K.?”

“Yeah. I’m fine. Just having a hard time sleeping. I was nervously thinking about Starlight Glimmer running things back in Ponyville. I mean, she willingly volunteered to take over for me while we came here saying that she felt more comfortable with accepting a role of leadership after recent events, but I still can’t help but feel a little nervous about that.”

“Hey. That’s perfectly normal. It can be hard ta let somepony else take over runnin’ Ponyville fer ya, ‘specially when ya’ve been doin it far longer than they have, but Ah’m sure that she’ll do jus’ fine in yer absence.”

“I guess you’re right,” she answered with a smile. “So what about you? Are you O.K.?”

“Yup. Things are great with me.”

She wasn't convinced.

“C’mon David. I can tell when things aren’t normal. You’re out here by yourself and you were extremely jumpy when I approached you. What’s going on?”

I knew that there was no way of talking myself out of this one no matter how hard I tried.

“O.K.,” I stated, defeated. “Ah had a nightmare. In it, Ah lost Savannah to a dark, shadowy figure.”

Twilight stroked her hand along her chin as though she was puzzling a thought around in her head.

“Why does that sound familiar to me?”

“Because it’s tha same dream that Ah had tha las’ time Ah visited Equestria. Tha only thing is that was years ago, at least by ma time, so why is it happenin’ again jus’ now?”

“I’m not sure,” Twilight admitted, “but remember what Princess Luna said last time? ‘Fearing what happens in dreams only allows it to manifest in your mind, becoming your reality in the process. The more you're able to let go of that fear the less hold it has over you or even your fate.’ You have to be able to let it go. Don’t allow it to bother you like this.”

I smiled softly back at her.

“You’re right, Twi. Ah shouldn’t let this bother me. Ah ‘ppreciate us havin’ this little talk.”

“Hey. That’s what friends are here for,” she stated with a smile.

“Ah’m gonna head back ta bed now.”

“That sounds like a good idea.”

And so the two of us headed off to our respective rooms. Entering mine, I took my robe off and settled back down in bed, placing my arms around Savannah as she slept peacefully next to me and I fell into much calmer, more relaxing sleep.

* * * * * * * *

The next morning, I woke up to the smell of chocolate chip pancakes. Putting on my clothes and heading into the kitchen, I found Savannah and the girls at the table eating breakfast while Ariel sat in her highchair. Rainbow Dash was the first one to notice me.

“Well look who decided to sleep in this morning,” she remarked.

“Hey, Davey,” Pinkie greeted. “Did you sleep well?”

“Oh yeah,” I answered, groggily. “Ah slept great.”

“There’s a plate of chocolate chip pancakes for you on the stove,” Savannah stated. “Pinkie was even nice enough to help with making them.”

“I’ll admit that it was kinda hard trying to do it with ‘these’,” Pinkie started, holding her hands up and wiggling her fingers, “but I think I’ve gotten the hang of it.”

“Well Ah ‘ppreciate that a lot you two,” I smiled as I grabbed my plate from the stove and poured syrup over the warm, fluffy pancakes. “How are ya guys adjustin’ ta havin’ hands now?”

“Pretty well,” Applejack spoke up. “Twi helped out a bit with teachin’ us how ta use em before we came ta you guys ‘n Ah’d say we’ve taken ta it somewhat easily.”

Taking my seat at the table, I prayed silently before digging into my breakfast. After swallowing my first bite, I turned my attention back to the girls.

“So have y’all been up fer very long?”

“Only about a half hour to 45 minutes,” Fluttershy replied, plainly.

“Speak for yourself, darling,” Rarity stated. “I’d been up for nearly two hours trying to make sure I was presentable and ready to face the day.”

“That don’t surprise me, Rare,” I chuckled before taking another bite of pancake. “Were any of ya interested in continuin’ with tha Disney animated movies today?”

“Maybe sometime later, if that’s O.K.,” Twilight answered. “Personally, I was hoping that I could get started on that book series that you told us about just yesterday. The… WaterFire Saga I think you said.”

“Ahh yes. Those books are right on tha bookshelf in tha livin’ room. They're sorted alphabetically by author Ah believe. Feel free ta help yerself ta any books that interest you.”

“Thanks, David,” Twilight smiled back at me.

“These are really good pancakes. They taste slightly different than usual, but in a good way.”

“Glad you like ‘em,” Pinkie proclaimed. “I personally used a little bit of vanilla and cinnamon for flavor.”

Polishing off my plate, I then brought it over to the dishwasher.

“So, Dayvid,” Applejack began, “got anythin’ on tha schedule fer today?”

“Ah dunno. Maybe a little bit o’ writing. If any of ya are interested, Ah could take y’all ta Wal-Mart. Maybe ya might find somethin’ ya’d like ta buy there?”

“That sounds great, David,” Fluttershy smiled softly.

“I’m in!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“As am I,” Rarity affirmed. “It could definitely give me the opportunity to get some decent shoes than those hideous things I was wearing when we first got here. Discord didn’t exactly leave us with very many shoe options in our luggage, unfortunately.”

“Well, in the meantime, you can just borrow my boots,” Savannah offered. “They might not be your size, but I’m sure that they’ll work just fine until you get your own shoes.”

“Well I appreciate your generosity greatly, Savannah.”

“Hey. It’s nothing honestly.”

“Well, while you guys are doing that, I’ll get started on that series,” Twilight stated as she headed for the living room.

“Me ‘n Pinkie Pie can help ya out with lookin’ after Ariel, Savannah,” Applejack added.

“Yes indeedly,” Pinkie agreed.

“Oh I wouldn’t want to impose on you two,” Savannah replied.

“Honestly, it’s no problem at all, Sugarcube.”

“We’d be more than happy to help,” Pinkie hopped up and down.

“O.K. If you two insist,” Savannah gave in.

“So are you girls jus’ ‘bout ready ta go ta Wal-Mart?” I asked Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity.

“We’re ready if you are, twin,” Rainbow stated.

“Well then let’s get goin’.”

* * * * * * * *

Before long, the four of us had piled into my Shelby GT500 Mustang, we buckled our seatbelts (after I briefly explained their purpose to the girls), and we were off to Wal-Mart. As I was driving with Rainbow Dash sitting shotgun and Rarity and Fluttershy sitting in the back, I decided to check with them to see if they were interested in listening to the radio.

“You girls mind if Ah put some music on?”

“Not at all,” Fluttershy answered.

“It would certainly be welcome for the time being,” Rarity affirmed.

“Sure. Go for it,” Rainbow agreed.

Pressing the dial, the radio came on to a local pop station. I turned it on just in time to catch Justin Timberlake’s “Can’t Stop The Feeling” at the beginning of the second verse.

“Oh man Ah love this song!!!” I exclaimed as I began to sing along with it.

The girls seemed to really enjoy the beat and sound of the song as I sang it, particularly Rainbow Dash. They were even amazed when it got to the chorus and I was able to hit the higher notes with my falsetto.

“Wow, David,” Fluttershy remarked. “I never knew you had that kind of range.”

“I’ll say,” Rainbow commented. “That was so Awesome how you managed to hit all those high notes.”

“Thanks ya guys,” I replied with a smile.

“I must ask though why is it that you’ve stopped trying to pursue a career in music?” Rarity questioned. “You seem to be quite exceptional at it.”

“Well, Rare,” I began, “as o’ tha past few years, Ah’ve tried ta get inta tha music business, but nothin’ has ever worked out. Even one o’ ma attempts at gettin’ back on American Idol ended terribly when ma voice cracked durin’ tha audition.”

“Oh my. That must’ve been hard for you.”

“That it was. After that, Ah decided that it jus’ wasn’t meant ta be. Besides, Ah’ve managed ta find a successful career as an author anyways. Nowadays, singin’ is more of an occasional thing that Ah do fer tha fun of it.”

“That’s too bad because you really are quite good at singing,” Fluttershy stated.

“Thanks, Flutters,” I smiled before realizing that we were approaching our destination. “Oh looks like we’re here guys.”

Pulling into the parking lot, the girls got their first glimpse of Wal-Mart. They looked upon the building with wide eyes full of wonder at the sight of it.

“Wow!” Rarity exclaimed. “It looks soo massive.”

“You think it looks big from tha outside, jus’ wait til ya get inside,” I commented.

Parking close to the store, we got out of the car, locked the doors, and began the short walk towards the automatic doors of Wal-Mart. As we approached them, Rainbow was struck with a question.

“Where are the doors for this place?”

Before I could reply, the automatic doors slid open, much to the surprise of the girls.

“Oh my!” Fluttershy remarked in amazement. “How did it open like that without us even touching it?”

“Cuz there are special sensors above tha doors,” I explained. “They pick up tha movements of anyone nearby ‘n tha doors open automatically fer ‘em.”

“It’s almost like magic,” Rarity stated.

“Yeah. Ya could say that.”

Once we were inside the store, the girls’ jaws literally dropped at how much larger the store looked on the inside.

“You were not kidding, twin,” Rainbow Dash commented. “You could get lost in this place pretty easily.”

“That’s why we’re stickin close together,” I replied. “Do ya girls have yer money with ya?”

“I’ve got some,” Rarity answered, reaching into her handbag.

She then pulled out a stack of $20 bills with Andrew Jackson’s face on all of them.

“Oh. Ah see ya’ve got tha older $20 bills.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Well, startin’ sometime this year, though Ah don't know when, $20 bills will now have a woman on tha front of ‘em. Harriet Tubman ta be more specific.”

“Who’s she?” Rainbow Dash puzzled.

“She was a famous woman in American history. Ah can tell ya guys more ‘bout her at a later time if yer interested. Fer now, Ah guess that these 20s can work. Let’s go see if we can find Rari- Ah mean… ‘Rosylin’ some new shoes.”

And so we made our way over to the clothing section where Rarity was immediately fascinated by the wide variety of clothes that were on display. I did my best to keep her focused on looking for shoes for her.

“Do you think it might be possible for us to come back here again just to do some normal clothes shopping?” Rarity asked as we reached the shoe displays. “I’m certain that all of us will need more clothes than merely what we had packed with us when we got here.”

“Ah’m sure we’d be able ta find some time fer that. Ya guys are gonna be stayin’ with us fer tha nex’ few weeks or so anyways so there’ll possibly be quite a few more visits here in that time.”

Rarity then began looking through the various shoes on the shelves. At first, she was rather disappointed by the large number of high-heeled shoes that were there before she finally came across a few shelves with sneakers.

“Do you know what yer foot size is, Rosylin?”

“Unfortunately not, darling. Back in Eque- I mean… our hometown, just about everyone’s… feet are the same size. These boots that Savannah let me borrow are comfortable, but they’re a little too large for me.”

“Well her boots are ‘bout a size 11 so why don’cha try a size 10?”

“Wait,” Rainbow started. “You get to try shoes on before you buy them?”

“Yup. How else would ya know if they’re tha right fit or not?”

“Well, to be honest, I don’t typically do that much clothes shopping myself,” she admitted.

“That’s understandable.”

Once Rarity found a pair of shoes she liked in a size 10, she took off Savannah’s boots before trying them on. Once they were on her feet, they appeared to fit perfectly.

“Try walkin’ several steps down tha aisle ‘n back,” I suggested. “See how they feel.”

Following my advice, she strutted down the aisle for several steps before turning around and coming back. She smiled before speaking.

“They fit beautifully.”

“Good ta hear. Now let’s go pay fer ‘em.”

After Rarity took her new shoes off and slipped Savannah’s boots on, we made our way to the checkout line. On the way there, we passed by the jewelry section where Fluttershy’s attention was swiftly captured by a beautiful, Aquamarine Teardrop pendant. I was quick to notice her fascination with it.

“Do ya wanna buy that necklace, Faith?” I questioned, remembering to use her alternate name.

“Yes. I’d love to!” she replied back happily.

“Well yer in luck cuz this necklace is on sale fer much cheaper than it normally goes fer. One o’ tha things ta love ‘bout Wal-Mart is that they always have low prices ‘n great deals on many products. This necklace would go fer $85 normally, but, here, it’s only ‘bout $13.”

“Wow! That is a great discount!” Fluttershy marvelled.

And so, after about a minute of Fluttershy buying the necklace at the kiosk, we made our way to the checkout lines for Rarity to pay for her shoes where there were already a few people ahead of us. Before long, the line had cleared and Rarity stepped up to make her purchase. Once she had paid for her footwear and gotten the change back, we exited the store and headed back to my car.

“That was certainly an interesting experience,” Rarity remarked.

“Ah’m sure that you guys will come across quite a lot o’ those durin’ yer time here, but, fer now, we should prob’ly head back.”

We reached my car and quickly got inside, though, this time, Fluttershy took shotgun while Rainbow Dash joined Rarity in the back. Before long, we were on our way back home, listening to more music and enjoying each other’s company in this simple moment of happiness.

* * * * * * * *

After several minutes, we finally arrived back at the house. Entering the front door, our eyes were greeted by Twilight, who appeared to be rather fixated on the book, Deep Blue, that she was reading, sitting on the recliner. From the looks of it, she was anywhere from ¾ to ⅘ of the way through.

“We’re back,” I greeted, causing Twilight to look up from her book.

“Oh hey,” she politely replied. “How’d it go?”

“It went well,” Rarity answered. “I finally got some decent footwear that won’t be a royal pain to walk in.”

“And I got myself a new necklace,” Fluttershy added, showing off her latest purchase.

“Wow! That’s beautiful, Fluttershy!” Twilight stated in amazement.

It was in that moment that Applejack, Pinkie, and Savannah entered the living room.

“Oh you’re back,” Savannah greeted. “We just put Ariel down for her afternoon nap.”

“That little one o’ yers sure is a bundle of energy,” Applejack added. “Before we put her down, she was crawlin’ all over tha place. Ah can only imagine what it’ll be like once she starts walkin’.”

“Well, like Ah said yesterday, she should be walkin’ anytime within tha nex’ few weeks. Who knows? You guys might even be around ta witness her takin’ her first steps.”

“That would be really nice if it were to happen,” Fluttershy stated, a pleasant smile on her face.

“Well,” I began, “while she’s asleep, Ah’m gonna take this opportunity ta get some more writin’ done.”

“What sort of writing are you working on?” Rainbow Dash questioned.

“Well, currently, Ah’m workin’ on a Fantasy project, but Ah’ve got tons of other ideas swirlin’ ‘round in ma head. Tha hard part is tryin’ ta find time ta write all of ‘em down.”

“That does sound like it would be frustrating,” Twilight commented, eyes still fixated on her book. “Soo many ideas and soo little time.”

“Exactly. Any of ya guys wanna join me?”

“Sure,” Pinkie piped up quickly.

“I’m up for it,” Fluttershy answered. “It sounds like it would be nice.”

“You guys have fun with that,” Rainbow stated. “I’m gonna sit this one out.”

“Likewise,” Rarity chimed in.

“Maybe some other time,” Twilight added.

“What ‘bout you, AJ?” I asked.

“Thanks, but Ah’m good fer now.”

And so, me, Flutters, and Pinkie walked back to my office where I pulled up a couple of extra chairs for them to sit at my desk with me. It wasn’t long after I sat down at my desk before Fluttershy spoke up.

“Where’s your typewriter, David?”

I couldn’t help but chuckle as I replied.

“Ah’m sorry, Fluttershy, but nobody’s used typewriters in a long time. Nowadays, we use computers. Computers are machines that can be used fer typin’ up documents, sendin’ messages, even connectin’ with other people from all around tha world.”

“That must be pretty useful in a world like this that doesn’t have magic.”

“Tell me about it,” Pinkie agreed.

It was then that I started the writing process. After making sure that I had plenty of soda, I started my special playlist and began typing. My playlist that I used for writing was mostly a combination of various instrumental pieces from movie soundtracks, anything from The Hunger Games movies to Disney’s The Hunchback Of Notre Dame to Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Some of my most favorite tracks were the ones that contained a Dramatic Choir, hell, tracks with a Dramatic Choir probably made up about a good ⅘ of my playlist, if not more. That playlist combined with a good amount of soda was the perfect formula to get my creative juices flowing. My therapist once stated that my use of caffeine when writing was actually quite normal and that it was far better that I use it rather than something like alcohol or illegal drugs.

“Would either of ya guys want a soda?” I asked Pinkie and Fluttershy as I pulled out a, partially gone through, six pack of Pepsi.

“Umm… I guess so,” Fluttershy answered.

“Sure. Thanks,” Pinkie replied.

Taking out two bottles from the pack, I opened them up and handed them to the girls. Fluttershy looked at the bottle curiously before taking a sip. The look on her face was priceless as her eyes shot open and she began coughing a little bit while Pinkie chugged hers down without even taking a breath.

“Wow!” Flutters remarked. “That certainly was rather… um... what’s the word?”

“Fizzy?” Pinkie asked after polishing off her bottle.

“Yes. Fizzy and… potent.”

“That’s caffeine fer ya,” I commented. “In ma opinion, Ah like jus’ ‘bout any type o’ soda as long as it’s not diet. Diet soda always tastes flat ta me.”

“Flat?” Fluttershy puzzled.

“Un-fizzy. No kick ta it,” I explained.

And after that, nothing else was spoken as the two of them sat back and watched me type up my story while listening to my playlist. About a couple of hours later, I had made my way through the soundtracks of both How To Train Your Dragon movies and had made good progress on my story before I decided to call it a day as far as writing was concerned.

“Wait. You’re done already?” Pinkie questioned as I minimized my document.

“Yup. At least fer tha time bein’.”

“But it seems like you just started a short while ago.”

“Time has a funny way o’ slippin’ by pretty quickly, Pinkie. Somethin’ Ah learned awhile back was that, when it comes ta writin’, don’t get soo wrapped up on tha idea of ‘Wouldn’t it be cool if “this” happened?’ because if ya jus’ add everythin’ ya think might be cool, tha story can suffer as a result. Instead, when ya get a cool idea, write that one idea down ‘n then stop writin’. Let yer story sit fer a while before comin’ back ta it. If any of yer other ideas come ta mind, ya can incorporate them later on when ya’ve let it settle.”

“Whoa. That’s some really good advice,” Fluttershy commented.

“Well, Ah’m gonna go get maself somethin’ ta eat. Ya girls hungry at all?”

“I ate shortly before you guys got back,” Pinkie stated.

“How ‘bout you, Flutters?”

“Well I am feeling a little bit hungry. Do you have any apples or other fruit?”

“Ah’m sure that we do,” I answered as we made our way from my office into the kitchen.

Sure enough, on the kitchen counter, there was a basket of various fruits from apples to bananas to oranges.

“Feel free ta help yerself ta whatever catches yer eye. As fer me, Ah’m makin’ maself a sandwich.”

While Fluttershy decided what she wanted, I went to get bread from the drawer before grabbing a jar of SoyNut Butter, a jar of raspberry jam, two knives, and a plate. As I began assembling my sandwich, Pinkie Pie noticed the SoyNut Butter and immediately panicked.

“David, what’re you doing!?! Do you want to kill yourself!?!”

“What’re you talkin' ‘bout, Pinkie?” I asked, slightly shocked by her sudden outburst.

“That’s peanut butter,” she stated, pointing at the jar, “which you’re allergic too!!!”

“Well actually-” I began before a question popped in my head, “wait a minute. How’d ya know Ah was allergic ta peanut butter? Ah don’ remember ever tellin’ any of ya guys.”

“Duh. We were in your head the last time you came to Equestria, remember?” she explained, tapping lightly on my forehead. “There’s a lot of stuff we know about you from our time up there like how your birthday is December 12th or how you’re allergic to peanuts and tree nuts or how-”

“O.K. O.K. Ah get it,” I cut in before she could continue any further. “Geez, ya don’t hafta blurt out ma whole life story.”

“But why were you using peanut butter in your sandwich if you’re allergic to it?” Fluttershy joined in the conversation as she walked over holding a peeled banana.

“Ah wasn’t,” I explained. “This is actually SoyNut Butter. It’s similar ta peanut butter, but it’s made from dried soybeans instead. A friend introduced me ta it several years ago as a nice alternative ‘n Ah’ve been usin’ it ever since.”

“Ahh,” Pinkie and Fluttershy answered in unison.

With my sandwich made, the three of us headed into the living room to join the others. Rainbow Dash was the first to notice our entrance.

“Hey,” she greeted. “How’d the writing go?”

“It went well, thanks fer askin’,” I replied.

“We were actually hoping you guys would join us so that we could start on the next Disney animated movie,” Savannah chimed in.

“Ahh yes. Ah believe tha nex’ movie is Dumbo,” I stated as I went to grab the movie from the shelf and put it in the PS4.

“What’s that about?” Fluttershy questioned.

“It’s about a young elephant with big ears who’s part of a circus. Ah’m sure ya’d like it.”

With the DVD inserted and the TV on, we sat back to watch the movie, all the while I was wondering what my friends’ reaction would be once the movie got to the infamous “Pink Elephants” scene. I was sure that Pinkie Pie would find it enjoyably wacky, but the others I wasn’t as sure about. I figured I’d just have to wait to see their reactions once we got there.

* * * * * * * *

After finishing Dumbo, I was beyond curious to know what the girls’ thoughts were on the movie, especially the “Pink Elephants” scene. Before I could ask them, though, Rainbow Dash spoke up.

“What. The hay. Did I just watch?” she asked out of confusion.

“What exactly do you mean by that, Rainbow?” Savannah questioned.

“Well the movie itself was pretty decent, but what was up with that weird pink elephant scene? I was stuck thinking about it for the remainder of the movie.”

“I must admit that I found it to be a little superfluous myself,” Rarity joined in.

“I enjoyed it a lot!” Pinkie exclaimed.

I smiled at Pinkie’s answer before I decided to try and explain it to them.

“Well, technically, there’s no real reason as ta why it was there other than jus’ because. With that said, this movie was actually one o’ tha first ta have weird scenes like this that don’t seem ta add anythin’ ta tha plot at all. In our world, many of us refer ta them as ‘Big Lipped Alligator Moments’.”

The looks of further confusion on our friends’ faces after my remark were absolutely priceless.

“What in tha Sam heck are you talkin' 'bout?” Applejack puzzled. "There're no alligators in this movie. At leas' none that come ta mind."

“Big Lipped Alligator Moments have an interesting history,” Savannah began. “You see, a couple decades back, there was a movie that came out called All Dogs Go To Heaven that had a scene in it that many found to be really bizarre. In the scene, the main character who’s a dog gets brought to a giant alligator with really big lips who plans on eating him. Before he could do that, though, the dog howled in such a beautiful manner, at least to the alligator, that it then led to the alligator starting this completely random musical number that was over-the-top, came out of nowhere, added nothing to the story, and, after it was done, it was never brought up again.”

“Exactly,” I followed up. “A female movie critic was tha first ta actually coin tha phrase ‘Big Lipped Alligator Moment’ ‘n scenes in movies hafta follow some very strict protocol in order ta qualify. Fer a scene ta be a Big Lipped Alligator Moment, it needs ta show up right tha hell outta nowhere without any foreshadowing, be completely pointless ta tha story where ya could leave it out entirely ‘n nothin’ would change, be unbelievably over-the-top even within tha context o’ tha movie, ‘n finally, after it’s happened, it’s completely forgotten by tha main characters ‘n they never talk about it ever again.”

“Does that help you guys better understand it?”

“Umm… I think so,” Fluttershy finally replied after a brief moment of silence.

“If you girls want, Ah can show y’all that particular movie sometime while yer here,” I added.

“Anyways, I still enjoyed the movie for the most part,” Rainbow followed up. “I especially liked the crows. They were cool and had style to them.”

“Well, Ah’m glad that you enjoyed it Rainbow.”

“I enjoyed it too,” Fluttershy began, “even with that sad musical moment between Dumbo and his mom.”

“We all enjoyed it a lot,” Twilight affirmed. “It’s actually kinda funny because Dumbo’s big ears reminded me of Flurry Heart’s wings as far as the proportions were concerned.

“Ah was actually thinkin’ bout that maself, strangely enough,” Applejack agreed.

“All in all, I feel like we’re learning soo much about your culture just by hanging out with you guys and I’m definitely looking forward to learning even more about it during our time here.”

“Ah’m sure that we’ll have plenty o’ things ta do over these nex’ few weeks together,” I replied.

“Speaking of which,” Savannah started, “While you guys were at Wal-Mart earlier, I was looking at the possibility of all of us going to New York to see a Broadway musical or two.”

“Maybe. Did ya have any musicals in mind?”

“I was thinking of either Phantom Of The Opera or Wicked.”

“Why not both? Ah’m sure that tha girls’ll find both enjoyable ‘n we might even be able ta get tickets fer tha same day if we were ta try hard enough. All tha girl’s’ll need is ta watch The Wizard Of Oz before seein’ Wicked ‘n they’ll be set.”

“I’m not sure,” Savannah replied before turning to our friends. “Would you girls be O.K. with going to see two shows in one day maybe a month from now?”

“I’m intrigued enough by the titles of both musicals to say, ‘Sure. Why not?’” Rarity chimed in.

“They definitely caught my attention,” Rainbow affirmed. “I’m in.”

“You’ve got my vote,” Twilight answered.

“Mine too,” Fluttershy agreed.

“Absotively,” Pinkie piped up. “They both sound fun.”

“It could be a nice way ta finish off our time here,” Applejack stated. “Let’s do it.”

“Then it’s settled,” I proclaimed.

“O.K. I’ll go order the tickets for us,” Savannah replied as she went to use my computer to place our order.

Had I known then what that day would entail, I would’ve never insisted upon seeing those shows. Little did I know then that my life, and future, would be shattered just by that one day.

Author's Note:

And so begins the next few weeks of David and Savannah's time with the (Hu)Mane Six. I'm doing my best to try to add a little bit of variety to the story other than just watching Disney movies and I plan to expand upon the story even more in the following chapters. Hope you guys are enjoying this thus far, favorite or thumbs up if you are enjoying it, and feel free to leave any comments below as to what you think I could do to improve the story.

P.S. Does anyone know how to upload a picture onto here? I'm trying to upload a picture of myself for my 50 Subscribers celebration post but I can't figure it out. Also thanks for all the subs you guys. It really means a lot to me. :yay: