• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 1,148 Views, 5 Comments

The Strength of Friendship - TigerFey



The Mane 6 are challenged by a group of ponies called the PWO.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,148

Training Day

Chapter 3 "Training Day"

It had been an hour since Twilight Sparkle and her friends encountered a confrontation with the Pony World Order. After sheer intimidation from the wrestlers, the group of six mares accepted the challenge of wrestling against the P.W.O. at the Pony Wrestling Federation event, Hoovamania. With it all sunken into them that they can't back out without looking like cowards and a sign of weakness, the ponies discussed on the next plan of action at the library. Twilight had ordered Spike to send a letter to Princess Celestia about their situation. They also came to the conclusion that the six tickets given to them were of no use to them now and therefore, plan to give them away. "Girls, we all know what we have to do now. With this Hoovamania event only two weeks away, we're going to have to get ready for it. We're going to have to learn as much wrestling as we can," Twilight told her friends in the center of the library.

"Exactly," Rarity agreed.

"Applejack and Rainbow Dash are the most informed on what professional wrestling entails. If anypony needs help, they're the ones best to ask for it," Twilight continued.

"You got that right, Twi'," said Applejack. "Rainbow and Ah know what it's all about and are more than happy to lean a hoof to anypony."

"This sounds a little scary," Fluttershy quietly spoke up.

"It will be all right, Fluttershy," said Rainbow Dash to the yellow pegasus. "We're all in this together. I'll help you get ready."

"Thank you, Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy smiled in return.

"I can't wait to do this!" Pinkie Pie started hopping with happiness. "Wrestling is just like making cupcakes. You get everything together, beat it down, mix it up, cook it up and viola, victory!"

The other five ponies looked at the pink earth pony. They were use to Pinkie's randomness and cheerful attitude, but it still got to them sometimes that she wasn't quite that understandable.

"Um--not exactly like that Pinkie," Applejack said to the other earth pony.

"This is going to be a hard two weeks for us, girls. If we're going to prove to those P.W.O. ponies that we can handle ourselves without the Elements, then we ought to get to work immediately," Twilight preached to her friends. They all nodded in agreement. "Spike, you'll be helping me train."

Spike rose his arm in a salute and responded, "Will do, Twilight!"

"We have a lot of work to do. So let's not waste any time and get started," Twilight called out to the others.

The other ponies began exiting the library to head back to their own homes to train for the event. Applejack stopped at the foot of the door. She looked back to the purple unicorn. Her look was of concern towards her friend.

"Twilight."

"What is it, Applejack?"

"Are you going to be okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"You remember what Violet--"

"I remember what Violet said. I know what she said about me and about Princess Celestia. It does make me mad at those things she had to say. But I'm not letting them get to me, AJ. That's what she wants. Violet wants me to lose in front of the Princess. I'm not going to let that happen. I know I can't use my magic, but I will be ready to face her."

"All right, sugarcube. When you need my help, you know where to find me."

"Thanks for your concern, AJ."

Applejack turned tail and exited the library to leave Twilight and Spike to begin their training.

Over at Fluttershy's cottage just outside Ponyville, Rainbow Dash was assisting her fellow pegasus friend with what she needed to know about wrestling. While shy and timid, Fluttershy was willing to learn and was happy that her rainbow friend was helping her out. "Okay Fluttershy, I'm going to show you some basic holds. These are holds you can use to set up your opponent for a special move like a slam or a submission," Rainbow Dash told the yellow pegasus.

"Okay, Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy responded.

Rainbow Dash wrapped her front legs around Fluttershy mid-body. While only holding her slightly, it was enough for Fluttershy to peep out in pain. Rainbow Dash immediately let her go to check if she was all right. Assured that things were okay, Dash continued again and like before, the shy pegasus whined out a little. Rainbow Dash tried other holds to help and every time, Fluttershy wasn't quite happy with the holds and having a hard time adjusting. This wasn't sitting well with Rainbow Dash.

"Fluttershy! I promised that I'd help you train and you're barely trying."

"I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash, but I don't think I can do this, especially after what you told those ponies."

"About you wrestling bears? It's true, Fluttershy. I've seen you do that."

"But that was different. I was helping those bears with stiff joints and muscles. I was giving them massages. I wasn't trying to hurt them."

"But you have those skills, Fluttershy. You have the abilities to defend yourself in combat. They're not going to accept your kindness and that's why you got to show them what the real Fluttershy can do."

"That's what makes you and I different, Rainbow Dash. You're more ready for a fight and I'm not. Fighting isn't my best ability."

"What about that assertive training you got from that minotaur Iron Will? Didn't that help you to stand your ground and defend yourself?"

"Yes, but it almost cost me my friendship with Rarity and Pinkie."

"That was because you went overboard with it. If you play it right, you can use it against those bullies without taking it against us."

"Rainbow Dash, I never wanted to be a part of this fight."

"None of us wanted to. But they pushed us into it and we're not going to let them get away with how they treated us and think we are weak. We all need to do this. That includes you, Fluttershy. If there's any way to help you be ready for this, I intend to find it."

"I still don't know."

Rainbow Dash placed her front leg around the back of her friend and said, "Come on, Fluttershy. Can you at least do this for me, your friend? I helped you a lot when we were young fillies and now I need you to help the team."

Fluttershy stared into the eyes of the blue pegasus. She could see the concern and willingness to help in Dash's eyes. She began to feel tapping on her flank. She looked down and saw one of the squirrels looking up at her with a smile. She saw all the other animals and birds in her home do the same as the squirrel. The smiles indicated to her that they were all on her side and doing their best to motivate her. The look of worry brushed across Futtershy's face wiped away before all the eyes staring at her. She returned her focus to Rainbow Dash.

"Okay, I will. I'll do it."

"You will?"

"Yes." The animals chirped and sung for Fluttershy's change of mind. "Show me some of those moves."

"All right!" Rainbow Dash cheered in excitement.

Beyond the hills of hundreds of apple trees south of Fluttershy's cottage was Sweet Apple Acres, home of the Apple Family. Applejack returned from the meeting and had told her big brother, Big Macintosh, and little sister, Apple Bloom, of the situation concerning the P.W.F.. Both agreed to help their middle sister get ready for the event. Applejack and Big Macintosh decided to train outside by the barn. Apple Bloom sat off to the side so to not get in the way. She was also in charge of keeping Applejack's hat safe on her little head. "All right Big Macintosh, come at me and give me everything you got. And don't hold back just because Ah'm your sister," Applejack ordered to her big brother.

"Eeyup," is all Big Macintosh said in return.

The red pony didn't waste any time and stampeded towards his sister. Applejack stood her ground; positioning herself at the ready to grapple. The stallion quickly approached. Applejack leapt into the air with her high-strung legs and landed behind her brother. She wrapped her front legs around his back legs. After letting out a "Yeehaw!", Applejack lifted with all her might and to the amazement of both her siblings, Applejack lifted her brother up and slammed him onto his back. Big Mac attempted to regain his stance, but Applejack was there to meet him with a wrap around his neck. Another lift to the air and her brother felt the pain of a back suplex. Apple Bloom cheered on her older sister from the side. Her brother's well-being was also on her mind, but she knew Big Mac could take the punishment. Applejack continued her wrestling with Big Mac. Doing everything she had seen in magazines and events she attended.

After a whole afternoon of working out, Applejack called it a day. She was tired. Her brother on the other hoof was bruised and battered. He was lying on the soil staring straight up into the darken sky above. Applejack approached him, leaning a hoof to him and said, "Sorry big brother. Hope I didn't go too hard on you."

"Nope," her big brother replied back with no ill feelings.

Apple Bloom tossed her two older family members a bottle of water each. They caught them in their mouths and chugged down the clear liquid. Refreshing.

"Applejack, with those wrasslin' moves, you're sure to beat each one of those P.W.O. ponies in no time flat," Apple Bloom cheered joyfully to her big sis.

"Aw shucks, Apple Bloom. Ah sure hope so. As long as Big Macintosh here is okay with me doing more of this roughhousing with him," Applejack responded back. She smiled at her brother. Though her smile wasn't too convincing as she worried that he was going to back out after the amount of punishment he suffered through the day.

"Anything to help mah sister get ready," Big Mac spoke to his middle sister.

"Thanks a bunch, big brother," Applejack glad to see he was perfectly fine with all the hardness he'll be going through. "All Ah know is once Ah step hoof into that ring, Ah'm going to show that cousin of ours that she made the wrong decision by turning her back on this here family."

"But fer now, Ah think we should rest fer the night," Big Mac suggested.

"Ah agree," Applejack joined her brother. "We can continue this in the mornin'."

The three siblings gathered themselves and trotted into the farmhouse for the night.

A couple of days went by after the confrontation. The girls continued with their training and preparation for Hoovamania. Twilight Sparkle felt the need to check up on each of her friends. She was pleased with the progress they were showing. Applejack and Rainbow Dash, while working out very well due to their own knowledge of wrestling, were doing splendidly in helping out others such as Fluttershy and Twilight herself. Rarity received some of the training help from Applejack. Twilight was happy to see that Rarity was training like the others, though she was also spending a lot of time stitching and sewing the girls costumes for the match-up. After all, she is a seamstress by trade. Despite the progressive progress they were making towards the upcoming show, Twilight was concerned about one pony: Pinkie Pie.

Twilight met up with Applejack at Sugarcube Corner. Upon arrival, both ponies began their walk up the staircase to the second floor where Pinkie's room was located. "Thanks for coming along, Applejack. Sorry that I had to take you away from your workout," Twilight spoke to the orange pony.

"No problem, Twi', but do you really need to check on Pinkie Pie? Ah'll admit, she's not the brightest, but she's no pushover."

"Applejack, we all have to be prepared for this event. We've never fought in wrestling before and I want to make sure everypony knows how serious this is."

Party music was blaring, growing louder as the two ponies walked closer to the top of the staircase. Twilight was already shaking her head in disapproval. In her mind, Pinkie Pie was doing nothing but partying and baking while the rest of them worked their flanks off learning wrestling. Applejack noticed Twilight's lack of approval. She, however, wasn't as judgemental. Twilight reached the top of the staircase to Pinkie's room. She was expecting to see Pinkie doing something like playing with balloons or dancing to her tunes. Twilight suddenly stopped causing Applejack to bump into her. Applejack walked up beside her purple unicorn friend. Twilight's face was in shock. Her jaw was dropped and her eyes wide open.

"Pinkie?!" Twilight spoke in disbelief.

The shock that took Twilight by surprise before her was Pinkie Pie dressed in workout clothes and leg bands. The pink pony was doing push-ups. She was covered in sweat. Her face spelled with determination. Over on the other side of the room sat the Cake's twin children, Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake. Even as infants, the two little foals were cheering on Pinkie. Pinkie soon noticed her two friends standing at the foot of the staircase.

"Oh hi Twilight, hi Applejack. Can't visit right now. Training these muscles of mine. Got to be in perfect shape," Pinkie told them as she turned onto her back and began doing sit-ups.

"Well Pinkie, we just thought that you'd be doing something completely different," said Twilight while the surprise was still sinking into her.

"Don't worry about it," Pinkie assured them, stopping for the moment to catch her breath. "This pony will be ultimate by the time Hoovamania comes." She then stood up and began to perform some martial arts.

"Looks like Twilight everypony is taking this seriously. We'll be ready in no time," said Applejack.

"You're right, Applejack," Twilight nodded in agreement. "Those World Order ponies how no idea who they're up against."