• Published 15th Dec 2016
  • 855 Views, 12 Comments

Golden Hourglass - EverlyTheBlackRabbit



Time Turner is owner of Golden Hourglass but is unlucky with his staff Octavia, Lyra, Bon Bon, Vinyl and Derpy. These girls always have a way of keeping the small resturaunt lively everyday but with a high chance of destroying it in the process.

  • ...
0
 12
 855

1. The Staff

As an owner of a small restaurant, it's not easy but in my case it's difficult when you got a staff full of girls who can create mass destruction in your own resturaunt almost everyday! - Time Turner, owner of Golden Hourglass

"Where are they? I told them all to be here early today!" says Time Turner annoyed as he stood in the lobby. He looks out the window seeing the street beginning to be filled up with stands. "We have Bon Bon and Derpy. All that's left is Lyra and Vinyl," says Octavia, second in command. Octavia looks over at Derpy. Derpy was watching TV behind the counter as she held a broom in one hand. Octavia walked over and turned off the TV using the remote that was left on the counter.

"Hey! I was watching that!" says Derpy, a waitress.

"Oh really?" she says sarcastic with her arms crossed in front of her chest. "You're suppose to be cleaning the lobby!"

"I can clean and watch TV at the same time!" Derpy claims.

"I just witnessed that you can't!" Octavia points her finger to the lobby. "Sweep. Now!"

Derpy sighs and does as she's told. Octavia decides to check with Bon Bon in the kitchen. "Bon Bon, you think you have plenty of ingredi-" she stops to see that Bon Bon wasn't there. She looks over to the lobby where the manager is standing behind the counter looking through the computer monitor of the cash register. "Sir, where's Bon Bon?"

"She went out to buy extra ingredients," says Time Turner.

"But we need her to start the food before we open."

"Before she left she said not to worry as she's taking the secret route."

"Secret route? What secret route?"

Time Turner gave her a tired look, "Don't ask."

Octavia was left baffled.

A jingle sound was made from the bell of the front door. "Morning! We're here!" Lyra sings happily with Vinyl following right behind her. Out of nowhere, two empty buckets fall on Lyra's and Vinyl's head. "You two were suppose to be here minutes ago!" says a mad Octavia.

Lyra looks up at the ceiling. There was a contraption held by a rope. The end of the rest of the rope lead to where Octavia was standing and still holding the end of the rope. "Are you crazy?! You could've broke our craniums! Also, when did you even have the time to built that!?" she yelled, pointing up at the ceiling.

"Oh wow! Craniums? So you do use your brain!" Octavia says in a sarcastic displeased tone.

"What's that suppose to mean?!" Lyra yells. Lyra is the head waiter.

"It means, if you can use your brain to use advance words then it shouldn't have been a problem for you to have come early!" Octavia yells. The two begin their bickering.

Vinyl looks at her headphones to see if they were okay. Derpy uses two fingers to rub the small bump on Vinyl's head. Vinyl is another waitress like Derpy. Time Turner was close to losing his temper.

"What's all the commotion?" asks Bon Bon who was all of a sudden was standing behind Octavia.

"GAH!" Octavia jumped and yelled out from Bon Bon's sudden appearance. "Wh-Wh-Where did you?! How did you?! Here?!"

"If you're asking how I got here, that's classified." Says Bon Bon. Bon Bon is the cook.

"Now that you are all here," says Time Turner getting all the girls attention, "I can tell you all why I asked you to arrive early." He looks at the girls making sure they were paying attention to him. "Today there's going be a fair on our street and we got to make sure our place gets good attention so there won't be a food stand outside like last year."

"Last year?" asks Derpy.

"Last year, there was a Vegan food truck right outside the café," explains Octavia. "It was a slow day for us."

"That's why we're going to try to do our best today to look presentable enough not to have any food stands outside of this store!" says Time Turner. "Is that what the town council told you when you asked them not to have any food trucks outside of our small restaurant during the fair? To look presentable," asks Lyra. Time Turner fakes a cough, "Yes." He admits it. "Why?" asks Vinyl. "This place is getting customers everyday! That should show we're presentable enough."


"That may be true, Vinyl, but we seem to have a reputation of having problems. Constantly," says Time Turner. He takes out a folded piece of paper and unfolds it. "Food takes too long to arrive, constantly being asked our orders repeatedly, loud sounds of crashing, bickering and unknown disturbing noises could be heard from the backroom. At times we can't come to the café due to unpredictable times of the place being closed." He looks at the girls who he sees look away from him. "These are our most popular reviews girls!" He says mad.

"Well then, we're just going to have to change that!" says Octavia. She walks over and stands to face the girls. "Remember girls when we were not trusted to make the float at High school for our towns annual parade?" All the girls nodded as they do remember. "Well we showed them, the school and the town, that we could by building the greatest float this town had ever seen!"

"We did!" says Lyra.

"It was an amazing float!" says Bon Bon. All the girls cheer. 'They built a float for CHS?! Together?' Thought Time Turner as he was left flabbergasted.

"And even though we may not have Golden Harvest and Tick Tock in our team like we did back then, I believe we can still do our best with just the five us!" says Octavia with enthusiasm. All the girls cheer. "Now that we're excited! Let's get to work! We all know what to do!"

Lyra and Vinyl leave to the backroom to change into their uniforms in the locker room. Derpy goes back to sweeping the lobby and Bon Bon goes to the kitchen to start preparing the food.

"You five built a float for the town parade together?" Time Turner asks Octavia.

"Indeed we did!" says Octavia proudly.

"And what were Golden Harvest and the other friend you mention their part of the float?"

"Well you know Golden Harvest, a great planner, she helped come up with the structure while our other friend, Tick Tock, came up with the calculations to how big it would be and what we could use to make the float so it wouldn't fall apart during the parade," says Octavia happily. Time Turner couldn't help but wish he had those two of those friends as part of his staff for today.


Vinyl came out into the lobby wearing her uniform. The uniform for a waitress in the small restaurant was a white long sleeve collar shirt with a green bowtie, black pants and black non slip shoes. The uniform was the same for Octavia and Lyra but instead of a green bowtie theirs was a green tie. For Bon Bon as she is a cook she wears a black cooking uniform with a hourglass patch on the right chest along with the name of the café in green lettering under the hourglass. Time Turner's uniform was like Octavia's but with a black vest added.


Derpy looks around the lobby seeing she was done sweeping inside and was ready now to sweep outside. Opening the door, to go out, a pigeon flies in. The pigeon lands on the counter. "Whoops," says Derpy.

"Cool! A pigeon!" says Vinyl.

"Vinyl, we have to get this pigeon out of the lobby before Octavia or the Manager see!" says Derpy worried.

"No sweat! Getting rid of a bird should be a piece of cake!"

Before the two can think of a plan, the pigeon begins cooing in a surprising melody. Vinyl smiles, "This pigeon got rhythm!" Vinyl takes out her cellphone from her back pocket. She turns on a app that lets her add, mix and play with music almost like her music equipment at her house.

Two minutes later. Lyra comes into the lobby. "Hey girls, Octavia sent me out here to ask about that sound." Lyra sees the pigeon and Vinyl playing music with it while Derpy bobs here head, enjoying the music. Five minutes later. The pigeon finishes cooing, ending the song. Both Derpy and Lyra clap.

"That was fantastic!" Says Derpy.

"Yeah! Maybe you should think of adopting that pigeon, Vinyl!" Lyra suggests.

"Aw shucks! You girls think so!" Vinyl smiles while blushing.

Octavia stands in the doorway angry at the three girls playing music in the lobby. "You three are suppose to be getting this place ready! Not playing music!" She shouts.

"Oh really?" Vinyl questions, "Then why did it take you about five minutes to finally speak up? Don't think I didn't notice you in the door way all this time!" Octavia blushes, "Fine! I admit it! Your music with the bird.....was nice. Although it could've use some cello!"

"Well then, why don't you come over to my place after work with your cello and add to the music I just made!" says Vinyl.

"Sure! Why not?" Says Octavia.

"Can I come over too, Vinyl? I like to hear how it will turn out!" asks Derpy.

"Me too, please!" says Lyra.

"Sure! The more the merrier!" says Vinyl.

Time Turner was now the one angry as he stood looking over the counter seeing the girls chatting away instead of working. "I'm begging you girls! Please get back to work!" He yells making the girls jump.

"Yes, sir!" The girls say unison.

The owner speaks more calmly, "Vinyl and Derpy! I want you two to care of that pigeon and get it out of here!"

"Will do, sir!" Both Derpy and Vinyl say. After everyone left the lobby, Vinyl and Derpy looked over at the pigeon. "So how do we get rid of the bird?" asks Derpy. "We'll just shoo it away," says Vinyl. "Just open the door so it can fly out."

Vinyl carefully walks up to the bird. Right when she got close enough she claps her hand. The clap sound made the pigeon fly. "Derpy, the door!" Vinyl calls out. Derpy opens the door wide. The bird flies and lands on the window sill. "How about we try hitting it and lead outside?" Derpy suggests holding up the broom in one hand.

"Great idea but you think you can do it without breaking anything?"

Derpy looks at the lobby remembering it just got clean. "I guess not," she says smiling nervously.

"We're just going to have to keep scaring it till we can get it to leave."

The two clapped their hands the entire time trying to scare the bird to get outside but it kept flying else where in the lobby. The two were getting tired. "So want to try for the eleventh time?" asks Vinyl. "No. My hands are hurting from all the clapping!" says Derpy sad. "Can't we stop?"

"I would like to but remember that the manager is the one who asked us to do this."

"Right," Derpy said disappointed.

"Seems you girls are having bird problem!" says a voice. All the lights turn off in the lobby. A lamp turns on in the corner of the room shedding some light for someone sitting in the corner. This person was leaning on a chair with both feet up on the table. "I may know someone who can solve your bird problem." Vinyl and Derpy look at each other for a second then walk over to the table and sit in the two empty chairs. "Who are you?" Derpy asks. "Yeah and who is this someone that can help solve our bird problem?" asks Vinyl.

The mystery person puts down their legs revealing a girl wearing a grey fedora and trench coat. "The name is Sweetie. Sweetie Drops. The identity of the person who can help you with your bird is in this envelope," she says taking out a white envelope from the inside of her coat. "But it comes with a price."

"Why kind of price?" asks Derpy.

"I'm glad you ask kid. The price is a specially made double chocolate muffin!"

Derpy and Vinyl gasp. "But Derpy specially made that for herself for lunch!" says Vinyl.

"Oh! I know! Specially made muffins are the best and rare and is why I want it! So what is it going to be?"

Derpy sighs and stands up. "I'll go get it!"

"Atta girl!" Sweetie drops smiles.

One minute later. Derpy is back with a paper bag in hand. She places it on the middle of the table. Sweetie Drops grabs it, opens the paper bag, and takes out the double chocolate muffin and takes a lick. "Mhm!" she smiles. She takes out the envelope from her coat. "You girls get yourselves a bird hunter!" She hands the envelope to Derpy. Derpy takes it. The only light turns off for a second and all the lights in the lobby turn back on.

Derpy and Vinyl gasp. "Sweetie Drops," says Derpy. "She's gone!"

"Quick!" says Vinyl. "Check the envelope!"

Derpy opens the envelope and takes out a white folded paper. She unfolds it. In the middle of the paper were letters from magazine cut out spelling out a name. The girls gasp as they read the name together. "Bon Bon!"

The two girls go to the kitchen where they find Bon Bon stirring a large pot of soup. "You girls just going to just stand there?" asks Bon Bon without looking at them. "We got from a reliable source that you can help us with our bird problem," says Vinyl. "A reliable source, aye? That could only mean Sweetie Drops! That girl is getting soft if she could just give away information just like that!"

"Actually, no. We had to bargain my double chocolate muffin for it!" says Derpy.

"Of course! Who wouldn't? They're rare and specially made!" She says.

"So will you help us?" asks Vinyl.

Bon Bon turns off the stove. "I just finished the soup and still have to wait for the pork chops to unfreeze in hot water in the sink, so of course I'll help! But are you two ready? Bird hunting will not be easy!"

"We can do it!" Derpy and Vinyl say together.

"I like your style girls! Let do it!"

Five minutes later. The three girls are in the lobby wearing ponchos covered in feathers, dressing as pigeons "Why are we doing this?" asks Vinyl. "Can't you see? It's simple! Every time when flock of pigeons stand on a telephone wires they all fly off together when they leave!" says Bon Bon.

"I see!" says Derpy. "So we'll have the bird think we're also pigeons and when we leave out the door it will follow and fly out the restaurant."

"Exactly! Now! To the door!" They stand in front of the door. "Here, birdie! birdie! Three of your kind are getting to go so you better follow!" The pigeon just stayed sitting on the window sill. "This isn't working," she frowned. "Should we try cooing like a pigeon?" asks Derpy.

"Great idea!" says Bon Bon. The three began cooing. The bird still didn't budge. "Wrong dialect?

"What if we use Vinyl's recording with the pigeon?" Suggested Derpy.

"Bright idea! Let's try!"

Vinyl takes out her phone and plays the recording. The pigeon starts cooing. "Wow! I think it's working!" Says Vinyl. The pigeon flies toward the girls and flaps it's wings like crazy at them. The girls scream and runaway. "Behind the counter!" yells out Bon Bon. The two jump and hide. They take a peek seeing it standing on top of the monitor. "That's one crazy pigeon!" says Bon Bon. "I was hoping not to do this but desperate plan calls for desperate measures!" She takes out three different colored thick sticks and hands over two to her coworkers. "Push the button. The three girls push the button and out came the nets. "Now! Let's go hunt a bird!" Bon Bon says as if she is ready for war.

In the back room. "Does it sound like crashing and yelling coming from the lobby to you?" Octavia asks Lyra. Lyra stares blankly at her for five seconds. "I'll go check what's happening," says Lyra. Octavia glares at her, "Oh no! I'm not going to let you go on your own again!" The two walk out into the lobby. To their surprise they see their coworkers dressed as pigeons chasing a pigeon using nets.

"You two still haven't got rid of that bird and why are you joining them Bon Bon?!" Octavia demands. "Catching a bird is harder than it looks, you know?" says Vinyl. The pigeon flies towards Octavia and Lyra flapping it's wings like crazy at them. The girls shriek till they're ambushed by nets. "Did we get it?" asks Derpy. The pigeon stood on top of the nets. It then flies towards a table. The three girls remove their nets from their two coworkers. "Well since you two are here," Bon Bon takes out two more nets, "You might as well join the hunt."

All five girls with nets in their hands, surround the table that the pigeon was standing on. "In my countdown to one," says Bon Bon. "Five... Four..." Each held their net over their heads. "Three...two...ONE!" They all pounce forward with their nets. The pigeon stood in the middle in the small space of the table surrounded by nets but not caught in one. The pigeon flies up and lands on Lyra's head. Lyra's yells in anger, "Get out already, bird!"

Time Turner was standing in the doorway looking at the girls for that last minute. He sighs in disbelief, "All you girls needed to do was to get rid of a pigeon. Was that really too much to ask for?" Neither of the girls hear as they were to preoccupied looking at the bird on Lyra's head while she threw a fit.

The door rings. In comes into the small restaurant was a middle aged man wearing a blue collar shirt with black dress pants and shoes. He looks inside the restaurant for a good few seconds. "I'm from the town council and it seems you all look very busy. I'll be going now." While he does, the pigeon flies out through the door before it closes.

"People always seem to come at the worst times," says Time Turner.

Hours later. The fair outside was crowded with people while inside Golden Hourglass was empty except with the employees and manager still remaining. Octavia, Lyra, Bon Bon, Vinyl, and Derpy were sitting together at a table in the lobby. "So what's out there this time," asks Lyra. "A taco stand," answers Octavia. They were still wearing their uniforms but their aprons were left hanging on the back of their chairs.

"Hey, Bon Bon, what do you do with the food at a time like this?" asks Derpy.

"I keep them separately in containers and leave them in the fridge," Bon Bon explains.

"They don't spoil or freeze?"

"No, I checked the temperature. The food, sauces and ingredients will be okay."

"I see," says Derpy. The group was back to being quiet.

Lyra sighs, " We've hadn't had any customers since morning and after cleaning we're now left with nothing to do."

"Yeah and it's lunch time," says Vinyl.

"Is it?" asks Octavia. She looks up at the clock on the wall, seeing it's 12:45 p.m. "You're right. We should've been in the middle of rush hour." All the girls sigh.

Derpy then remembers about the manager. "You know, I kind of feel bad for the manager. He really wanted us to make this place look presentable and if we did make it as nice as he wanted then this place wouldn't have been so empty right now."

"You're right, Derpy! We should do something for him!" says Lyra.

"But what?" asks Bon Bon.

Vinyl looks out the window. She smiles, anyone up for tacos?"

Later, Octavia goes up to the managers office. The door was open. "Knock! Knock!" she says. "Hey, sir!"

"Hey, Octavia." Time Turner was sitting behind his desk on his computer.

"Are you doing anything important right now?" she asks.

"No just looking at paper work for a third time. Is there something going on out?"

"No. The girls and I were wondering if you like to join us for lunch. Please?" She smiles.

"Sure, why not?"

"Good! Just follow me!" she says. As he does, he gets confused when he follows her to the direction of the lobby instead of the break room. In the lobby, he's surprised to see all the girls sitting in a round table with bags of food.

"What's this," Time Turner asks. "Lunch!" The girls say together. He takes a seat in the only available seat between Derpy and Vinyl. They each pass around paper plates and food wrapped in aluminum. Time Turner opens his after he gets one. Inside were tacos. "Where did you girls get these?"

"The taco truck outside," says Vinyl. The manager looks over at the window noticing the taco stand.

"Sir!" says Octavia. "We're sorry!" They say in unison. Time Turner looks at the sadden looks on their faces, understanding now that this was an apology lunch. He sighs and smiles. "It's okay girls. I already forgiven you all. Plus as I think about it, if it takes five girls to try to get rid of a bird but fail in the end then that just means it's not always easy getting rid of a bird out of a restaurant."

"It's not," Vinyl and Derpy say together in a tired tone.

"Now then, let's enjoy this peaceful lunch!" says Time Turner. All the girls agree and dig in.

Author's Note:

I was inspired to create this story after rereading a manga I like called Cafe Kichijoji de! The six background ponies came to mind then thought of creating this story!