• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 858 Views, 3 Comments

The Pony who fell to Equestria - Gabriel Smith



There's an odd visitor around...

  • ...
 3
 858

Act 2: The Object

Twilight took a closer look. More goop? No, it couldn’t be - some sort of luminescent green pattern ran through it. Only this pattern obeyed strict, straight lines that seem to cross into it. This substance was black, matching what had been sprayed over everyone, however it seemed to pulsate, almost as if it were alive. Feeling cautious, Twilight tried levitating it with her Magic. It was certainly heavy, but not unmanageable as she walked back to the group, who looked at it oddly.

“That there’s the weirdest Monster ah ever saw.” AppleJack commented.

“Assuming it is what everyone thinks it is.” Twilight replied as she examined the object more, turning it around with her magic.

“What do you think it is, Twilight Sparkle?” Luna asked, sounding just as curious as the rest of the group.

“Well, best guess? It could be a mineral or resource not native to Equestria. Or it could just have been some Extra Equestrian’s trash, or a piece of a Spaceship or-”

“Or ah weapon.” Applejack interjected. Twilight sighed.

“Or a weapon of some kind. If it is a weapon, then it’s not doing a good job of it. I would have expected more Death Rays and Photon Torpedoes by now.” she added.

“But so far, it is not a threat. And since we still don’t know what it is...” Luna looked deep in thought as she rubbed her hoof against her chin, before reaching a decision. “Twilight Sparkle, do you think you can study the object any further?”

Twilight simply looked at Luna oddly. “Begging your pardon Princess, but wouldn’t it be better protected in Canterlot?”

Luna nodded. “It would, but in this case, discretion is the better part of valor. As Ponyville to most Ponies is a simple farming settlement, most Ponies looking to steal it and use it against us wouldn’t look here first. And you come highly recommended by my Sister in matters such as these.”

“Well I’ll...do what I can.” Twilight responded. “If that’s everything Princess, I’ll take it back to the library for study. I apologize for being abrupt, but it’s heavier than it looks...”

****

Spike had been pacing around, waiting for some sign of Twilight or Luna. It had been hours since Luna’s visit, and Spike was starting to get extremely worried. Only indecision about what to do and Luna’s instructions had kept him from moving out of the Library.

It was then that he heard a knock at the door.

Without a seconds thought, Spike dashed frantically towards the door, fumbling with the keys as he tried to open it.Standing before him was a rather tired looking purple Unicorn. She was wearing an exhausted, but happy smile on her face. Without a second’s thought, Spike immediately gave Twilight the biggest hug he could muster.

“Don’t tell me I kept you up all night.” Twilight asked sincerely.

“I was worried! When Princess Luna came by and told me to stay put, I wasn’t-”

Twilight simply ruffled Spike’s head.

“It’s okay Spike, I’m sorry I made you worry so much.” Twilight told him. “I just need to put something in the study so I can examine tomorrow, and then I’ll be going to bed. It’s been a long night.”

Spike nodded. Finally letting go of Twilight he simply smiled and walked back to bed. Twilight wasn’t too far behind him.

****

The next morning, Twilight woke up in the middle of the afternoon. She yawned, before lazily climbing out of bed as if it were another ordinary morning.

“Spike, you're in charge today.” she told the Dragon “I can’t be disturbed while I’m studying today. It’s too important.”

Spike himself blinked, but nevertheless followed the instruction - he’d basically been running it while Twilight was asleep anyways. Then again, Twilight could have been slacking off to avoid Rainbow Dash nagging her about when the next Daring Doo book was going to arrive. After sorting “breakfast” out, Twilight walked into the study. The object was exactly where she had left it - on a desk next to a magnifying glass, tweezers and knife.

Twilight made her way over to the desk, picking up the knife with her hooves and using a Quill and Parchment to log it - she was going to try and crack open the object.
Twilight sunk in with the knife - and was greeted with a violent sparking reaction. Twilight instinctively recoiled in shock, before looking back at it. She used the tweezers to open it out, examining the object better with her Magnifying Glass. The green crossing pattern on the surface seemed to carry on inside of it, almost like a nervous system. Twilight continued to take notes while examining it closer.

This isn’t a rock Twilight thought to herself Maybe it’s just space junk?

Twilight leaned in closer and closer. As she did so, she didn’t keep track of where her hooves were going. Her left hoof made contact with the object - something Twilight was made aware of when it seemingly bit her. Twilight recoiled and examined the injury - and found there was nothing there - no puncture mark, no teeth, no nothing. Thinking she was just being paranoid, Twilight turned back to the object...only to find it had mysteriously disappeared. Panicking, Twilight checked around the desk. She found nothing, except for a trail of thick, grey fluid - and an open window.

Oh sweet Celestia, where is it?!

****

The Object had moved itself onto the streets of Ponyville. It was sparking and leaking a trail of thick, grey fluid. It’s vision kept blurring and fading as it kept trying to find a safe location. As it did so, it still attempted to make observations.

For one, this place seemed to be dominated by odd, brightly colored creatures, powered by four thick, powerful limbs used for locomotion - which suggested even the smallest were deceptively strong. If this world was inhabited by other intelligent creatures, they would surely have been used as beasts of burden. It came to quickly conclude they were the dominant life form for the time being.

Eventually, it found a spot of shade in a back alleyway. It stopped to rest for a short while, and soon fell in what passed for sleep.

****

The Object’s vision woke with a bright light. Standing over it was a Scientist and his Assistant. There was a bright light moving around it. Annoyed, the Object started following the light.

“That’s it...follow the light little one...” the Assistant said to himself, before switching the light off.

“Vision would appear to be working. It’s definitely light sensitive.” the Assistant told the Scientist.
“And how soon before we can get everything working? The Director wants results.” the Scientist replied. The Assistant was quick to check his notes.

“We’re on track. At this rate, it should be about four months before we can begin proper Trials. The Director should be pleased with our progress.” The Assistant replied.

The Scientist walked over to The Object, petting it a little bit. “We’ve got big things planned for you, my friend.”

****

Back at the Library, Twilight was collecting together the tools she would need. Spike was just looking at her, tired and exhausted.

“This is that thing you found last night, in AppleJack’s farm?” Spike asked. Twilight merely nodded in response.

“I’m so sorry Spike, but if you can work for just a little longer, I really need to find it before...whatever it is gets into the wrong hands.” Twilight explained. Spike just cast a dumbfounded look.

“And who’d want to do that?” Spike asked.

“Well, when I first moved here we had Nightmare Moon, then a Dragon decided to take a nap here, then a Cockatrice turned me to Stone, then Discord showed up, and then-”

“Okay, okay, I get it!” Spike interrupted, crossing his arms.

“Sorry Spike. I’ll try and make it up to you when I get back.” Twilight replied apologetically, before strapping a Small Monoscope to her eye and walking towards the door frame, bumping into it.

I need to get used to seeing like this... Twilight thought to herself, before finding the door handle and opening the door.

****

Pinkie Pie was delivering a cake for Mr and Miss Cake. There was a party going on for Lyra and Bon Bon - the pair were celebrating their anniversary of living together. Pinkie however had decided to take it a little further - strapping a small gift around her neck with some string. It was then that her Hair and Tail seemed to point in a single direction - down a dark and foreboding corner.
Pinkie Pie stopped and did a double take.

There’s a New Pony around...but what’s he doing in there? He’s not a Vampire Pony...is he?

Pinkie Pie decided to investigate. Setting the Cake down, she decided to inspect the corner.

“Hello? Anypony here?” Pinkie Pie called out. No words answered her, but something Green lit up.

“Hello?” Pinkie Pie asked. She started to feel unnerved at the stranger’s presence. There was definitely something here. Pinkie was about to back out of the alley, when something made her stop.

A Pony walked towards her. He was black as coal, with an unusual green pattern that resembled straight lines arced across it. It’s eyes were large, round and very green, and seemed to hum and pulsate green light. The most bizarre thing about it however was that it resembled Pinkie - it was an Earth Pony with a poofy mane and tail. And then came the reply - what sounded like static. Pinkie raised a brow.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

Pinkie’s question was answered with more static. It was then she noticed something brief. Walking around, the pink Pony spotted something else - lines, oozing something grey. Pinkie just looked at it oddly.

What kind of Pony oozes grey stuff everywhere and makes sparks? Oh well, I’ll figure it out later!

“I need to deliver a few things to a Party. I’ll be back for you, Okay?” Pinkie told it. The Pony looked like it was trying to understand, but couldn’t. Pinkie just looked at it stranger and stranger.

“...Do you want to come with me?” she asked. After a moment of silence, Pinkie went back to pick up the Cake. The other Pony followed behind her.

“...I’ll take that as a yes.” Pinkie replied, before walking along with the Cake, the Pony following behind her.

****

Twilight meanwhile had been following the trail of grey goo with the Monoscope. Not wanting to raise suspicions, she had refrained from asking any other Ponies if they’d seen anything - not even Big Macintosh or AppleJack.

It was then that things went from bad to worse for Twilight, as she stumbled onto a realization.

Was that thing actually alive? Is this Blood?

Twilight looked shocked - she’d just dissected a living creature. A living creature that was perfectly alive, no less. Regardless of if it was a Pony or not, if it was alive - and able to think like she could - then she’d basically committed malpractice at best and outright torture at worst.

“Something bothering you?”

Twilight snapped and turned around. It was Princess Luna.

“Bothering? Um, nono, I was just...examining a snail and...”

Luna chuckled. “Dear Sister was right about one thing, Twilight Sparkle. You really are terrible at deception.”

Twilight sighed and took a deep breath.

“That rock isn’t a rock. It’s an Alien Lifeform.” she began “I think I ended up torturing the little thing. It was bleeding this grey stuff, and I think it sparked a few-”

“It...Sparked?” Luna asked.

“Sparked, yes.” Twilight confirmed, nodding her head. Luna looked suspicious.

“Find it Twilight Sparkle. I will think of what to do when you catch it.”

With that, Luna took off and left Twilight standing in the middle of the Town Square. Twilight got back to her search, but something kept bugging her.

There’s something Luna isn’t telling me, but what?