• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 2,124 Views, 96 Comments

Star-Crossed School Days - mechafone



Join Spark Storm as he lives out the early days prior to a great destiny.

  • ...
3
 96
 2,124

First Day Of The Second Year

Spark Storm settled himself into his chair in the middle of class. It had been a long, emotional summer. He wished things could be the same, that events hadn't occurred as quickly as they had. It had all gone by so fast...

Spark watched Sapphire's empty desk with a heavy heart. It had been three weeks now since she'd left. Sometimes when he laid awake at night, her kiss still burned on his mouth. It gave him feelings that he wasn't old enough to understand.

He watched as the rest of the class started pouring in, choosing seats. Lemon Hearts, Rarity, Allie Way, Lyra, Bon Bon, that one Pegasus, the other Pegasus kid...wait a second. He paid this new Pegasus attention. He was pure white, had laughing red eyes, and a head of two-toned hair, orange and cream.

He'd spent the last year without any male Pegasus friends. Milky Way was a little too absorbed with his studies to be much fun. He didn't even like hanging out with Allie.

He was a little disappointed when the new Pegasus didn't come over and say hello. He looked like he was a little busy listening to whatever the buds in his ears were playing.

As soon as he was settled, a new pony strode in. This one was yet another Pegasus, and a boy! Spark suddenly felt much more hopeful than he had for three months. This new Pegasus was of a smaller build than the white one. He was dark green, looked kind of bookish, with big black frames on his eyes. His mane was a little long, and was blue with green as it's second tone.

This colt sat directly across from Spark, who was practically bouncing with excitement. He had a huge grin on his face as he turned to greet the forest green Pegasus. "Hi! I'm Spark Storm, what's your name?"

The colt turned and smiled politely. "Salutations!" Spark made a face.

"Salu-what?"

Spark's new classmate chuckled like he'd just forgotten something. "Er, I mean...hello. Sorry, I like to study linguistics, so I sometimes get caught up in language practice." Spark's brow arched higher and higher as the Pegasus spoke.

"Um...I'd like to say that I understood a word of what you just said. But I don't."

The new Pegasus shrugged, apparently used to this kind of thing. "Don't worry about it. I'll try not to confuse you too much."

Spark Storm narrowed his eyes at the smaller Pegasus. "What did you just say?" Spark had risen in his chair to make himself a little bigger, when a short, mocking laugh reached his ears from behind him. He turned in his seat to glare daggers at the last pony he wanted to see: River.

Spark said nothing as River leaned forward in his seat to offer a hoof to the new Pegasus. "Don't mind our rough friend here. He's a bit of a brute, I'm afraid. Always letting his emotions rule his actions." The green Pegasus tentatively shook River's hoof.

"I see. Well, it's certainly a relief that -some- ponies in my first school year will be pleasant. My name is Emerald Skies." River smiled pleasantly at him, an act that Spark was sure to be so practiced that it could've fooled a hardened war criminal.

"The pleasure is all mine, Emerald. I am Righteous River. I do hope you'll have a pleasant school year." Emerald nodded, gave Spark a sidewards glance, then sat forward in his desk. He would need to acquaint himself further with this River, he was wonderfully eloquent.

Spark Storm sighed. He'd missed his chance to make a new friend. Maybe the other Pegasus would be more receptive. He looked up as two new ponies entered. They were Earth ponies, and by the looks of it they were siblings.

One was an orange mare with bright blonde hair, and the other was a big red colt with bright orange hair. The colt already had his cutie mark, a big, green apple. The two came in and sat down quietly directly in front of Spark Storm, so he took a chance and said hello.

They both turned at the same time. "Well, howdy!" the mare said. She reached back and shook Spark Storm's hooves roughly. "My name's Applejack! This here's mah brother, he don't talk much."

"Nnnope." Her brother said, but he looked kindly to Spark Storm. From behind him, Spark could swear he heard River scoff.

"I'm Spark Storm, it's nice to meet you guys! Well, here's to a great year, right?"

Both siblings nodded and said, "Eyyup!" It was an odd way of speaking, but Spark liked them immediately.

"All right, colts and fillies!" Angelica, who had been waiting for all her students to arrive, stood and started making the rounds. She introduced herself to the new students, then had everypony introduce themselves. The introductions moved down the line until it hit the white Pegasus colt.

He got up and waved at everypony. "My name is Anorax, my folks just moved here from a cloud city around Canterlot. I like all kinds of music, and...well, I guess that's it." He sat back down in his chair. As he sat, a roaring fart sound ripped through the classroom, which erupted into raucous laughter. Anorax just grinned sheepishly at the teacher and slipped the now-flat whoopie cushion back into his saddlebags.

Angelica glared at him, but it was apparent she was trying to keep her smile hidden. Next up, Applejack and Big Mac stood at the same time. "Mah name is Applejack, and this is mah brother Big Macintosh, most folks call him Big Mac, tho'. Our family owns Sweet Apple Acres."

Big Mac puncuated this with a "Eyyup."

Next, it was time for Emerald Skies. "Hello, fellow students! My name is Emerald Skies. I have a talent for interpreting language." Spark Storm chanced a glance at Emerald, and noticed that he, too, had his cutie mark, a scroll. Finally, with everypony introduced, Spark Storm's second year began. Without Sapphire Snow, Spark was beginning to think that it would be a slow, long year. Oh, how wrong he was.