• Published 27th Nov 2016
  • 861 Views, 12 Comments

Paper Romance - CrackedInkWell



Set in a hundred years after settling Appaloosa, Jonagold Apple is trying to do some research to find out what her great-great-grandfather was really like as a pony.

  • ...
5
 12
 861

Film Reels #1: The Wedding.

Jonagold looked over her rough draft, the one that she had been slaving over for the past few days in putting together whatever information she found into a neat, and insightful look of her ancestor’s personality profile. She made the necessary corrections that her father had written out over misspelled words and grammar as she retyped it onto her computer screen. While her work isn’t due for another few weeks, she was already feeling tired out from doing nothing but intense research and wished for some distraction.

It came when her laptop sounded a “Ding!” which could only mean one thing: she just received a new email. Setting her assignment aside, she opened up her electronic mailbox to see that it was a message from Home Finder Cloudline, the mare that she had spoken with days before. Curious, she opened it up to find something rather surprising.

Dear Jonagold,

After digging around in every attic and storage room from my parents to my aunts and uncles, I’ve stumbled onto something that, as it turns out, that you were correct. In my Uncle Glider’s basement, we’ve found something that I think would interest you. We found three old film reels of home movies, all of which are in black-and-white and they each come with a record that has the name of Braeburn and Soarin on them.

While we don’t have a projector, if you guys are able to happen to have one, we’ll gladly let you guys borrow them. Now, I don’t exactly know how good the condition these films are, after all, they’re just over a hundred years old so you probably want to handle these things with care if you ever do decide to take a look at them.

If you do decide to do so, could you do us a favor and probably record it on your cameras so that we may see the films too since, again, we don’t have a projection player. Ever since you’ve called me about our family history, it has gotten our family rather curious in trying to figure out who these ponies were. Now that we’ve found some ye old home movies, perhaps you might be able to share them with us too.

I’ll be waiting to hear from you,

-Cloudline.

Out of all the things she was hoping to get from this project, this was certainly the last thing the young pegasus expected. Film reels? This alone made her stare at her computer screen because of the very idea that it presented. All she knew about her great-great-grandfather Braeburn came from his letters. But this… This was different because, if they were lucky, these films hopefully should be intact enough to let her see and, more importantly, hear her ancestor.

“Hey dad!” she called out, “Do we know anypony that has an old movie projector?”

_*_

Days later, every chair, couch, and pillow in Jonagold’s living room was pointed towards a blank, white wall. Johnny nudged a small table over to the very back of the room before he heard the doorbell rang. “Jo,” he called out.

“I’ll get it.” The young mare trotted over to the front door to unlock it. Opening up the door, she found two familiar looking ponies that caused her to hug them both. “Hey Grandpa Applesauce, Grandma Fritters.”

“Hey Jona,” the wrinkly cheery stallion patted her on the back.

“How’ve you been?” her soft pink grandmother with thick glasses asked as she walked through the door. “Are you still working on that assignment?”

“That’s why we’ve called you.” Jonagold told them, “I hope you brought that projector, did you?”

“I’ll go get it,” the old unicorn trotted away from the door, “But hold the door open for me.” A moment later, her grandpa came back with a dusty mechanism that Jonagold only seen in old movies. A projector with a sooty lens that’s attached to a phonograph, “I bet you have the films?”

The young Pegasus shook her head as her grandpa stepped in. “The Cloudlines have it, and they’re not here yet.”

“Where do you want it?”

“Over here gramps,” Johnny called out. “Here on this table.”

The old unicorn walked into the living room and whistled, “Now how many ponies are coming to this screening?”

“As far as I know,” Jonagold’s father answered. “Home Finder and her husband are coming along with her brother and father. Of course with us together that makes eight unless there’s more.”

“Then you should have made some popcorn,” Granny Fritters joked.

Jonagold rolled her eyes, “We’re doing this because I might need it for my assignment. Besides that, at least we get to meet some distant relatives.”

“When do you expect them to be here?” her grandpa asked, and before the teenager could respond, their doorbell rang. “Huh, nevermind then, I’ll just go ahead and set this up.”

She nodded as she went over to open the door, there on the other side on her step were four ponies that she never saw before. “Ms. Jonagold Apple?” the mare with a copper mane inquired. Her mane was tied up loosely in a bun. Her coat was plum purple, and she had a pearl necklace around her neck.

“Yes ma’am,” she nodded. “Thanks for taking all the trouble form coming down here from Cloudsdale.”

“When you can fly anywhere, it’s not that difficult,” the white stallion next to her chuckled as he lifted a wing. “Besides, it’s no problem at all.”

“I’m sorry, but who are you guys again?” Jonagold asked, pointing a hoof towards the three other stallions.

“Oh! Where are our manners? I’m Stargazer, this here’s my dad Air Liner and my brother Rule Book.”

The sky blue earth pony with a cardboard box nodded to her, “So I guess you have the projector?”

“Yeah, my grandpa is setting it up now. So come on in.”

The four of them stepped in, with the bearded gray stallion walking in last. “You know, I didn’t think that we were related to you Apples,” he started out saying, “When Home had told me that she may have found evidence that might show us about Soarin’s relationship to your family, we just had to see it for ourselves.”

“I’m looking forward to it,” Jonagold confessed. “It might help me a great deal with my school project I’m working on. All I had to go off are from old letters, but to actually watch what happened would give me some tremendous help.”

Once the Apples and the Cloudlines had settled down in the living room, Rule Book reached into the cardboard box and pulled out a tin case. “Let’s do this one first. It’s the oldest.” Grandpa Applesauce nodded as he popped open the lid to pull out the reel of film and a record in a yellowed paper case. The old stallion weaved the ribbon of celluloid over the wheels of the machine and hooked it to another reel. He then placed the record on the turntable and turned it on.

“Hold on,” Johnny questioned, “Don’t you need to put the needle down?”

Grandpa Applesauce shook his head, “No need. This model should synchronize with the film so we don’t have to. So then-”

“Wait!” Jonagold flew up, “Sorry, let me get my notebook real quick.” She rushed off to her room and came back with it and a pencil before turning off the light. “Okay, ready.”

The projector was turned on, shining a white rectangle on the wall before he flipped for another switch that moved the film along. Of course, he had to adjust the lens when the numbers showed up, counting backward. As it counts back to five, from the phonograph a beeping was heard that matched up the numbers down to zero in which, everything went black.

From the phonograph, a young voice was heard, “-ere, I think it’s on.”

“Are you sure?” questioned an older male voice.

“Yeah, the light is on and everything.”

“Rumble, is the film in?”

“Uh-huh.”

“The record?”

“Yes,” the colt’s voice answered with annoyance.

“And did you make sure to get the cap off before you started that thing.”

There was a pause before they finally saw the light from the projector, it was in black-and-white and the camera was looking up to the face of an embarrassed colt. “Just now,” he said. “But other than that I think its working.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I can hear it going and everything,” suddenly the camera moved and there on the white wall was a skeptical pegasus who was mostly black that had his forelegs folded. Behind him was an apple orchard that had ponies setting up chairs, streamers, and balloons. “So I think it’s working Thunder.”

“If you say so, I don’t want my cousin to get mad at me for not getting his wedding on film.”

“Don’t worry, it’s working right now.”

“Okay,” Tunderlane sighed. “Now that we’ve got that figured out, let’s go find the grooms to get them on camera before the ceremony.”

The camera tilted a bit, “Sure but, where are-” whatever Rubble was about to say was cut off. Suddenly the scene had changed from an apple orchard to a door that Thunderlane knocked on.

“Hey Soarin, you decent?”

“Uh yeah, come on in,” the doorknob was turned in which the camera saw a bedroom where a pegasus stallion in a suit was sitting on the edge of a bed. He was hunched over while writing something in a book when he looked up, “Hey cousin.”

“That’s Soarin!” the eldest Cloudline pointed at the wall.

“So how’s my favorite Wonderbolt?” Thunderlane’s voice was heard along with some hoofsteps. “You excited for the big event?”

“Yeah, and just a bit nervous too,” he set the book down when the camera moved until it settled down on a nightstand when Rumble entered the frame. “Still glad you guys came, how you’ve been little dude?”

“We’ve just got a new camera,” he pointed at the lens, to which the pegasus looked.

“Yeah, I can see that. So hopefully you guys know how it works?”

It was then that Thunderlane walked on screen, “Barely, we’ve kinda figured out how to turn it on.”

Soarin laughed, “Well, I can only hope that my wedding won’t be filmed upside-down. So besides you guys, who else is here?”

“Uncle Nimbus is here,” said Rumble, “along with Aunt Windy with her kids, Cousin Tiger-Lilly, Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt Ramen and Aunt Linguini, and Uncle Hurricane and Aunt Rain are here setting things up in the fields.”

To this, the Wonderbolt looked up at them in surprise, “Mom and Dad came?”

“Yeah, they did,” Thunderlane nodded. “Along with the whole Wonderbolt team is out there as promised. And they’re all excited as you are,” he looked over by the bed, “What’s that?”

“It’s nothing,” Soarin said quickly, his hoof pinning the book beside him. “So what are you two doing in here for, you know that the wedding itself won’t happen for a while.”

“Yeah,” Rumble went over to pick up the camera. “Be we thought that we might wanna film you saying something nice about… if Braeburn gets married, would that make him our uncle or…?”

Soarin shrugged, “I don’t know, these sorts of things are really complicated even to me. So what do you want me to say?”

“How do we know,” Thunderlane shrugged as he exited the picture, “you’re the one that’s getting married to the guy.”

“Thanks for being so helpful” he said with intense sarcasm. “Hold on, let me think…” the Wonderbolt tapped his chin for a moment with a pencil. He then smiled and looked right into the camera, “Hey Brae. Well, what can I say? I guess it’s been a long time coming that after all this time we’ve been going out that we’re actually tying the knot. To be honest with ya, I’m kinda nervous about this. You know that feeling deep in your gut that’s you can’t believe this is really happening? Yeah, it’s almost like the first day in boot camp all over again. However, I know that we’re making the right choice here. I know that once we say ‘I do,’ life may not be the same again, but you know what dude?” he smiled. “I don’t want it to go back. Braeburn, you’re really are amazing and I’m really lucky to not only have you as a best friend but as someone that I’m going to be legally calling you, ‘my husband.’ No matter what comes, we’ll be there to face them. I honestly can’t wait to see where our lives will take us from here, but at least I’m happy that I get to explore it with you. See you soon Brae, love you.” He then turned his attention to the side, “Okay, now can you guys please get out? I think I still need to finish this up.”

“Sure thing,” Rumble said as he took the camera away from Soarin and back into a hallway. “C’mon Thunder.”

The camera glided across the hallway. From the phonograph that crackled and popped, hoofsteps were heard before they slowed down to another door at the other end of the hallway. Thunderlane ’s hoof reached up for the doorknob and turned it.

“Here comes the groom!” both of them sang as they swung open the door. There on the screen, Apple's eyes widen in awe now they get to see their famous ancestor facing a standing mirror. It was extraordinary because for the first time because this wasn’t a granny photograph nor a bronze statue, but it was him on film. Moving and reacting as he turned around to see the brothers.

“Hey Y'all!” Braeburn’s face brighten as he suddenly came close to the camera. “Glad you fellas can come!”

“Brae…” Thunderlane’s voice croaked, “Too… tight…”

“Oh,” Jonagold’s ancestor stepped back into the frame, this time embarrassed. “Sorry you two, Ah’m jus’ so glad to see ya here is all. It’s been a good forever and a half since Ah’ve seen ya last.” He then looked right into the lens, “This thing yours?”

“We’ve just bought it last week,” Rumble’s voice was heard saying. “We could have got the film in color, but it’s really expensive. This is gonna be used for the wedding.”

“Does the thing capture sound?” Braeburn asked and the camera nodded, “You know, when mah Uncle Red had one of those their cameras, he used it ta film his vacation with. But when he got back ta show it, the whole thing was completely silent. Boy, you guys should’ve seen ‘em try ta fiddle around with the thing.”

“That’s nice but-” Thunderlane began to say but was quickly interrupted.

“Hoo! He was so mad when he couldn’t figure out why nothin’ was comin’ out of the phonograph. We had to watch the whole film like it was a silent film, and it was really funny when we dubbed in what was goin’ on.”

“Braeburn,” the colt tried to speak up but he too was cut off.

“It was really hilarious when it got to the part when he was skyin’ down a mountain and he-”

“BRAEBURN!” both brothers shouted.

“Yes?”

“We’re wasting film,” Rumble pointed out. “Do you wanna say something nice about Soarin.”

“Somethin’ nice?”

“Yeah,” Thunderlane said, “just something to have you two look back on.”

“Oh, why didn’t y’all say so? Now let me think…” he rubbed his chin in thought. “So I just talk in this here camera like Ah’m talkin’ to Soar, right?” the camera nodded. “Alright, how about this,” he looked into the camera and said. “Hi there Soar, I can’t imagine what you’re thinkin’ in that room jus’ down the hall. You’re probably nervous since neither us been married befor’. Ah don’t blame you, Ah’m strugglin’ ta keep calm mahself. But Ah ain’t gonna be up to an’ runnin’ because we both know that we’re makin’ the right decision. Ah do wanna spend as long as Ah have breath left in me to be with ya. Now, Ah may not have a crystal ball ta tell us what is gonna be happen ta us, but regardless whatever comes in our way, Ah’m gonna help ya make this work. Ah promise ya that because Ah love you more than anythin’.” Braeburn turned around to face the mirror again, “Quick question: do you fellas think this tie or the green one would look good on me?

Just then, the scene was suddenly cut back outside. At the very center of the screen, holding hooves were Soarin and Braeburn that were looking into each other’s eyes. Between them was a younger Princess Twilight Sparkle who stood underneath an arch of roses. It was she who spoke: “-eak now or forever hold your peace.” There was a long pause before she continued before turning to the Pegasus, “Do you, Soarin Cloudline, take Braeburn Apple as your lawfully wedded spouse, for rich or for poor, near or apart, in sickness or in health, to cherish, protect, and to love for eternity?”

“I forever will,” the Wonderbolt answered.

“And do you,” Twilight turned to Braeburn, “Take Soarin Cloudline to be your lawfully wedded spouse, for rich or for poor, near or apart, in sickness or in health, to cherish, protect, and to love for all eternity?”

“As long as Ah live, Ah do.”

To this, the alicorn spread her wings, “By the power and authority as a Princess of Equestria, bestowed by its citizens in Ponyville, I hereby pronounce you as stallion and husband,” she folded them back up. “You two of you may kiss.

The couple did, to which, cheers were heard from the phonograph as they heard hooves stomp on the ground, rice and confetti rain down from the air that filled the screen. The newlyweds broke the kiss and embraced in a deep hug, “Ah love you Soar,” Braeburn's voice could be heard.

“I know buddy,” Soarin replied before the film was cut out until there was nothing but a white screen.

“I still can’t believe we didn’t know any of this,” the elder Cloudline commented.

“You’re not the only one,” Grandma Fritters said. “After all, it’s rather surprising of all the things we didn’t know about Braeburn like for example he was married to someone who was in the Wonderbolts.”

“How many films are there?” Jonagold inquired as she turned to Rule Book. He was looking through the cardboard box that he had carried into the house.

“From what I could find, there’s only three that has their names. The other two are, ‘Braeburn + Soarin become parents.’ And ‘Soarin’s vacation.’”

“You know, as helpful as this is,” the teenager turned a page in her notebook, “I kinda wish that there’s something else out there that would help me with my paper. I mean the letters that I have and the films you got could only tell me so much.”

“Oh! That reminds me,” Rule Couldline dug through the box, moving aside the other two film canisters until he pulled out a book. “Do you recognize this?” Both families looked over towards the book that was held up. It was a simple notebook with a black cover and rusty spring that held it all together. Jonagold told him that he didn’t recognize it, “I think I know what our Soarin was writing in that film because I believe this right here is his journal.”

“What!” the young pegasus exclaimed. “Where did you get it?”

“More importantly,” Home Finder glared at her brother, “How come you’re only bringing this up now?”

The stallion’s ears folded back in embarrassment, “I uh… kinda forgot. I found this in Aunt Breeze’s basement at the very bottom of the bookshelf. Of course, it doesn’t look like much until you open it.” He flipped the notebook over to the first few pages, “Each enter has his signature on them. It’s dated between… February 1000 to… May 1003.”

“That’s when they were dating!” Jonagold flew over, taking the journal into her hooves and flipping it through. “This is going to be so helpful! Uh, do any of you guys mind if I borrow it?”

Air Liner put a hoof to his chin, “I suppose, but we want it back, just the way it is now.”

The Apple mare smiled, “Oh thank you all so much!”

“So,” Jonagold’s grandpa spoke up, “Are we going to take a look at the rest of these films or what?”