• Published 27th Nov 2016
  • 617 Views, 11 Comments

Equal Measures - Coyotek4



Starlight Glimmer is the pony of the hour after defeating Queen Chrysalis ... but she can't escape her past, which returns in a most unexpected way.

  • ...
0
 11
 617

Ch 3: Paint It, =

Twenty minutes nearly saw the job through. Twenty minutes, and all that remains is a painted equal sign over Starlight’s cutie mark.

It wasn’t particularly back-breaking work, she thought to herself, though the chemicals needed to facilitate the deed did give off an unusual aroma that she had to suffer through. But it felt right to do this job herself. After all, she’s the one who caused the mess … or at least, some part of her.

You may as well leave that one as is. It fits you better, anyway.

Starlight turns around to see her equal-marked twin standing in the doorway. This time she would show no sign of surprise or shock. She turns back to the chair and applies a solvent to the graffiti.

Just going to ignore me, huh?” The twin walks over to Starlight, looking around the various other chairs around the cutie map. “Just going to ignore your true feelings?

“You want a conversation with me, that’s fine,” Starlight states without turning back, focusing instead on the task at hand. “But you’re not going to take over. You’re not real. You’re just a figment from a sordid past. One I’ve moved away from a long time ago.”

How quickly you forget recent history … or was the brainwashing of your friends to do your bidding so long ago?

“That was a mistake,” Starlight admits as she levitates a moist towel to the last of the graffiti. “My friends have forgiven me for that, and for everything I’ve done … more so than I’ve forgiven myself, it seems. You have no place here, so why don’t you just leave my soul in peace?”

You really don’t get it, do you? I am you. I only exist because you want me to. If you just want me gone, then why am I still here?

Starlight notices the tone in her twin’s voice, that of a doting mother more than an evil spirit … but her resolve remains firm. “I was wrong. We were wrong. We were wrong for wanting all ponies equal … and myself more equal than the rest.”

Her task finally complete, Starlight again turns to face her sinister side. “I can’t explain why you’re here. In my heart, I know that that part of me should no longer be. And if you really are trying to help me out, just go. Be gone from my life. I’ve changed; you need to accept that fact.”

You’re so wrong, Starlight. You haven’t changed. You’re still bitter at all that’s happened to you. And the faster you accept that and return to the life you know, deep down, to be correct, the sooner we can get around to making this ours again.

“I’m heading out,” Starlight calmly tells her twin. “I don’t want to see you again when I return.”

Starlight walks around the table and heads to the doorway, still partly woozy from the cleaning fumes. She soon feels a warm glow at the back of her head, building to a burning sensation. Unable to resist a sudden feeling of dizziness and exhaustion, she falls to the floor while grasping her head with her forehooves. She closes her eyes and passes out.


Flipping the ‘Open’ sign on the door to Sugarcube Corner to ‘Closed’, Pinkie Pie returns to a table with four friends, grateful for their help during a noontime rush for the bakery’s services.

“Thanks again for your help, AJ. You too, Fluttershy. I couldn’t have kept this place going without you guys.”

“Shoot, t’weren’t nothin’ I wouldn’t do for a friend … or a family member.” The two share a laugh as Pinkie grabs a biscuit.

“I think it’s wonderful that the Cakes decided to have a picnic with the foals,” Fluttershy remarks. “Such a beautiful day to be outside.”

“I’m just happy that Mr. and Mrs. Cake are feeling all right,” Pinkie adds. “After the way they looked yesterday, so tired and weak. But yeah, they’ll be gone for the rest of the day. It was also nice of Spike to tag along and occupy the twins’ time, so Cup and Carrot could have some ‘us’ time.”

“Well enough about us,” Applejack adds while turning to Rarity. “How’s Starlight holdin’ up?”

Oh …” Rarity did not relish having to answer this question, though she knew it was coming up and had time to formulate a response. “Well, I think recent events might be just a tad much for her at the present time. But I think she’ll be OK in due time.” Her comments garner quizzical looks from the others.

“ ‘S there somethin’ yer not tellin’ us, Rare?”

“Well,” Rainbow Dash interrupted, “she may have painted equal signs all over the chairs in the cutie map room.” The quizzical looks from the others quickly turn to gasps of shock.

“Oh dear … that doesn’t sound good. Do you think she might be lapsing into old habits?”

Rarity pauses for a moment before responding: “Honestly, Fluttershy, I don’t think so. She was actually quite distraught about the whole affair, and she denied doing it … and I believe her.”

“You think someone’s pulling a prank on Starlight?” Pinkie asks while reaching for another biscuit.

“It’s not me, I swear,” Rainbow Dash asserts. “And I don’t think anypony else would pull something like that.”

“Well what if … and I’m just spitballin’ this now … what if she really is reverting to her old ways.”

“AJ!”

“I’m just sayin’, Rarity, isn’t it at least possible? Did anyone else get a funny vibe during the party last night?”

Ooo, ooo, I got that vibe!

“Funny strange, Pinkie Pie. She didn’t look comfortable accepting her new responsibility. Maybe she just isn’t ready to be part of our friendship problem-solving group.”

“Twilight believes that she’s ready, and that’s good enough for me,” Rarity flatly but firmly states. “And in case your short-term memory is lacking, she did just save all of us from Queen Chrysalis and the changelings!”

“All right, all right, you made yer point,” Applejack admits, hearing the tone of derision in Rarity’s voice. “I’m just sayin’ ‘if’, is all.”

“Maybe we should all head back to the castle and check in on her,” Fluttershy suggests.

“I had hoped that she would join us,” Rarity admits, “but it does seem like a good idea to—“

A chime from the front door rings, signaling the presence of another pony. Moments later, a unicorn walks over to the table where the fivesome are seated.

“Oh, Starlight! We were just mentioning how we were going to head over and … Starlight?

Before Rarity can finish, a wide burst of energy shoots from the unicorn’s horn. All five at the table absorb the energy burst, causing each to fall from her seat and collapse to the ground, unconscious.


Starlight’s eyes flick open, and she sits up in her bed. It quickly occurs to her that she has no recollection of lying down in her bed.

Wha … how did I end up back in— Her thoughts are interrupted by the sight of her twin self standing over her, sporting a broad grin.

I knew you’d come back!” the twin declares. “I missed the old you! Congratulations! I swear, I’d hug you if I actually existed in physical form.

“What? What the hay are you talking about?”

Oh, that’s right. Maybe your … *uggh* … ‘nice’ side is still blocking stuff out. Don’t worry, though, you’ll be reminded soon enough. Oh, and I love what you’ve done with the cutie map room.

Fear pulses through Starlight’s suddenly-alert mind, as she bounds from her bed and runs down the hallway towards the scene of her earlier, minor transgression. It can’t be … There’s no way that I would … I have changed … I would never …

Reaching the doorway to the map room, Starlight trips over a pair of half-full paint cans resting on the floor and sprawls face-first to the ground. Lifting her head, she takes in the scene. From floor to ceiling, the walls are covered in hundreds of black equal signs. Looking back to the floor, she notices various painted message: SINGULARITY IS THE ONLY WAY. ONE MIND, ONE VISION, ONE PONY. DOWN WITH DIFFERENCE.

“No … I didn’t do this. I couldn’t do this! Who’s doing this to me? WHO’S RESPONSIBLE!!?” Starlight shouts defiant declarations to the emptiness of the room, aware in her mind that no one was listening …

Who? Who else?” Starlight turns to see her twin standing in the doorway. “But hey, if you feel that strongly about things, at least your pitiful sap-half kept the chairs clean. Nonetheless, I approve of the overall theme.

“BEGONE, DEMON!!!” Starlight fires multiple energy blasts from her horn towards her twin, but each shot dissipates before reaching her intended target. She then charges at her twin with full force … only for the twin to disappear instantaneously a split-second before making contact. Starlight’s momentum carries her into the wall, crashing hard into the stone and causing her to crumple to the ground. The twin reappears from the doorway, walking over to the banged-up unicorn and speaking in a calm demeanor.

Why do you insist on fighting who you are? Just give in. Become the pony you were destined to be.

“NEVER!” Tears flow from Starlight’s eyes as she fights to maintain a steely resolve. If I can’t stop you myself, my friends will help me defeat you, once and for all.”

Oh dear, you really don’t remember, do you? Maybe you should take a side trip to Sugarcube Corner and see how your ‘friends’ are.

A chill surges through Starlight’s back at her twin’s ominous suggestion. “What … did … you … do?”

‘Me, me, me’; you still think this is all ‘my’ doing. I’m not real, you know. Why don’t you take a look for yourself, at what you’ve accomplished. And again, I must say, fine work you did there. Fine work.

Still hurting, Starlight gets on her hooves and races towards the castle entrance. Her twin shouts out at her as she leaves: “STOP FIGHTING WHO YOU ARE!

Sprinting as fast as her bruised body can take her, Starlight races through the town’s thoroughfare before arriving at Sugarcube Corner. She notices that the drapes are drawn and the entrance is locked, filling her with more trepidation. Using a spell to jimmy open the lock, she enters the bakery … and finds her friends only now regaining consciousness. Walking over to Fluttershy, she glances at her flank … and eyes the ubiquitous equal sign having replaced her familiar butterfly cutie mark. As she recoils in horror, another comes to.

“Whoa … what just …” Applejack eyes Starlight, then looks back at her flank. “Starlight,” she says weakly, “why? Why did you …”

“I CAN’T CONTROL THIS ANYMORE!” Starlight shouts while looking away, rousing the others from their catatonic state. “I’M SO SORRY! FORGIVE ME, PLEASE, FOR EVERYTHING!!!” Unable to look her friends in the eyes, she then turns and bolts from the building, exhausted and emotionally fractured.