• Published 27th Nov 2016
  • 617 Views, 11 Comments

Equal Measures - Coyotek4



Starlight Glimmer is the pony of the hour after defeating Queen Chrysalis ... but she can't escape her past, which returns in a most unexpected way.

  • ...
0
 11
 617

Ch 2: Nervous Pony in a Castle Bedroom

“What do you want?”

The words feel meaningless even as Starlight utters them to her equal-marked twin, but she feels compelled to say something … anything … rather than stand in awkward silence amid fear and confusion.

You have no reason to fear me, Starlight Glimmer. After all, we are one and the same, are we not?

“No.” Starlight shakes her head at the thought. “No, you’re not a part of me anymore. You don’t exist.”

Deny your own feelings all you want, but we both know the truth. You haven’t forgotten the past, nor should you. Everypony that’s done you wrong. Left you behind. Made you feel second-class. Oh sure, you tried to hide it. Played along with Twilight and her ‘friendship lessons’. You buried me deep, Starlight. Wanted to pretend I was gone. Well last night was the last straw! I’m taking over now!

“I WON’T LET YOU!!!” A burst of energy shoots from Starlight’s horn, only to dissipate before reaching its target.

Fool. You can’t injure a manifestation of your own soul.

A knocking on the door causes Starlight to spin around suddenly. Turning back, she finds … nothing. She is once again alone in the room.

“Starlight, darling, please let us in.”

Starlight runs around the room, inspecting any possible hiding place, frantically trying to find where her twin self could have possibly gone. Where did she go? She was here just a second ago? She can’t be just in my …

“Yo, Starlight, open the door!”

Starlight stops running around, resigning herself to the belief that she is indeed alone. She takes a deep breath, turns to the door, and unlocks it. “Come in, everypony,” she utters.

Rarity walks in, followed by Spike, while Rainbow Dash flies in above them. Starlight immediately pleads her case to them: “It wasn’t me. I swear it wasn’t me. I’m not that pony anymore. I’m telling you, I have no idea how that happened, please believe me …

Starlight’s last words trail off amidst tears; Rarity quickly consoles her. “Starlight, calm down sweetie. We believe you.”

The assurance helps Starlight get her bearings. “You do?”

“We’ve all seen the work you’ve put in these past moons. We know you wouldn’t do this deed. We just need to put our heads together and figure out who did. But first, you need to pull yourself together, mare.”

Rarity levitates a handkerchief to Starlight’s eyes, sopping up the remaining tears. Starlight smiles at the realization that her friends are not holding her responsible … or at least, not yet.

“Now tell us anything you can remember about last night, after the party ended.”

Starlight hesitates to answer. What do I tell them, that my equality-fanatical soul is haunting me? What would they think of that? “I … I don’t remember much of anything. I had trouble falling asleep, but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. Eventually I drifted away, and when I woke up this morning …”

“At eleven-fifteen.”

Thank you, Spike! Yeah, I overslept and … and Spike woke me and showed me the damage. That’s all I know.”

“Well then …” Rarity pauses to think about a possible cause. “Is it possible that somepony is simply playing a cruel prank on you?”

“I don’t think so. I mean, what pony would be so mean to throw that part of my past in my face?” Starlight slowly turns to Rainbow Dash, who had been hovering in place and taking in the conversation quietly. Rarity and Spike also turn to the pegasus, who then realizes the implication.

ME? No way!

“Well, pranking does seem to be your specialty. And I for one haven’t forgotten how you ‘stepped up your game’ when we called you out on your laziness.”

“Hey, wait a minute! A sewing machine-shaped cake is one thing, but it’s not like I brainwashed my friends or anything.” The moment the words left her mouth, Rainbow Dash knew she overstepped the bounds of decency. “Wait, no, I didn’t mean—

“No, you’re right,” Starlight countered, her eyes again welling up. “It’s not like you would do that … because we already have somepony who would do that sort of thing! Somepony who wants all her ‘friends’ to act just the way she wants them to! Somepony who would …”

Unable to continue, Starlight falls to the ground, forehoofs above her head, sobbing uncontrollably.”

“Starlight, please,” Rarity attempts to reassure, “We’ve long-since forgiven you for that incident. You showed genuine remorse for that and made amends. Would the ‘old’ you have bothered with any of that?”

Starlight looks up at Rarity. “But what if … what if the ‘old’ me is fighting for control?”

“Sweet Celestia, what would make you think that?”

Tell them … tell them … I can’t tell them …

“I don’t know,” Starlight meekly replies.

“Starlight, I am so sorry that I brought that up. I didn’t mean to infer anything from that day!”

“ ‘Imply’, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity pointedly corrects.

Whatever. I’m just sorry I brought it up at all.”

“No … it’s OK, Rainbow Dash.” Starlight gets to her feet, regaining control of her emotions. “And I do thank you again, all of you, for your support. And you’re right, Rarity; there has to be a logical explanation for what’s going on here.” I hope.

“For the time being, I suggest we head out to Sugarcube Corner, check in on Pinkie and the others, and have a brainstorming session over some tea and biscuits. We’ll figure this out, Starlight. After all,” Rarity continues as she turns to Rainbow Dash, “this isn’t the first time I’ve run across a mystery involving a friend.”

“Maybe you can solve this one without all the costume changes, huh?”

“Philistine,” Rarity grumbles.

“Wait a minute,” Starlight interrupts. “Pinkie and the others aren’t with you?”

Rainbow Dash responds to Starlight’s query. “Mr. and Mrs. Cake are feeling weak. Probably caught the pony-pox or something. Pinkie’s foal-sitting the twins while Applejack and Fluttershy run the shop.”

“Poor timing,” Rarity adds. “Yesterday was their anniversary; I think they had plans to take a trip, but they both became really tired during the afternoon. Hopefully they’ll get better soon and be able to reschedule their plans.”

“Send my regards when you get there,” Starlight requests. “I’ll catch up with you guys later, but I really need to clean those equal signs off the chairs.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Starlight. There’s no hurry to—“

“I’m sorry, Rarity, but I really need to do this, for my own psyche.”

“Oh, very well. But please join us at Sugarcube Corner as soon as you can. Right now, the best thing you can do for yourself is be with friends.”

“I won’t be long. Save me a biscuit.”

Rarity smiles, then she and the others leave the room. Starlight sees them leave and closes the door behind them; turning around, she is taken aback at once again seeing her equal-flank twin staring back at her.

Not as surprised to see me this time, are you?

You are not real. You are just a figment of my imagination.” Starlight repeats these phrases to herself numerous times, causing her twin to laugh.”

Tell yourself whatever you want, but I’m back. And I’m in control now.

“You’re NOTHING to me now! Those days are in my past. I’ve moved on.”

Oh really? Check your closet.

The request catches Starlight off-guard, and she pauses before walking over to her closet and opening the door. She looks down, and sees a fresh can of black paint with a recently-used brush still lying atop it. She quickly turns around to find an empty room; once again, all is quiet.