• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 1,390 Views, 140 Comments

Final Fantasy: Eidolons of Harmony - Belligerent Bindlestiff



A calamity is on the horizon. Now, light warriors must be called upon to aid Equestria.

  • ...
2
 140
 1,390

Resonance

Resonance

On the second floor of the Ponyville Inn, a cobalt blue stallion with a blonde mane looked over pieces of armor that had been carefully set out. Each piece was a deep shade of purple with various pointed ends. Put together, they would be the iconic armor of a dragoon, a knight who could use the power of dragons. Alongside it, a spear and shield lay against the wall, the weapons also the trademark gear of a dragoon. Altogether, this equipment belonged to a dragoon foreign to Equestria, Kain Highwind.

Kain examined his gear and gave a sigh. It all is a bit much. He thought to himself and instead moved away from the armor towards a cloak hung on the wall. It was simple, light purple piece of cloth that the dragoon wrapped around his neck. He collected his spear and slung it over his back and made his way downstairs.

The stallion greeted the innkeeper and made his way outside to town. Through a series of events, he found himself changed from human to pony, from traitor to protector, and from recluse to friend. Equestria had changed his outlook and perogative on life. He now found himself to be appointed guard of his new home town.

Kain began his morning with a walk around the town. There were all sorts of earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi that populated Ponyville. Each one wore smiles as they began about their day. Some nodded at Kain as he passed by the various districts. He saw many youngsters making their way to school. Amongst them, three familiar fillies, the cutie mark crusaders, noticed the dragoon and waved at him as they walked. Kain waved back at them and continued on his “patrol”.

He passed by many places that had become familiar in his day to day routine in only a few weeks. The early morning was spent visiting past Sweet Apple Acres and Fluttershy’s cottage to check on Ponyville’s outskirts. His morning ended with a trip to Sugar Cube Corner for a breakfast stop from an all too familiar and energetic mare.

His next order of business was to be briefed of any news from the princesses by Twilight Sparkle at her library, but one stop needed to be made before he completed his morning rounds.

He needed to visit Carousel Boutique, not for any new clothing or for the town’s safety, but because Kain needed to visit the most special person in his life. Rarity had been the pony to help him break past his own personal darkness of treachery. When he had shared his story with her and she was able to look past his misgivings and had given him a new reason to live life to its fullest.

Every day when they’d meet, she would inquire about his day and informing of her latest projects. After his first weeks in Equestria, Kain’s patrol never really had much a story to tell; and even though he was Princess Luna’s emissary to Ponyville, he hadn’t really received any sort of missions. Life was plain, almost boring even, but Kain liked it that way. He’d dealt with world ending threats on his home world, the Blue Planet, and endured the most difficult personal trial of his life when he came to Equestria.

A quiet patrol and an empty dossier of missions was a welcomed change to his life.

“Kain darling, Twilight will be hosting supper this afternoon.” Rarity said as she scanned though her portfolio. “She’s extended an invitation to you as well, she meant to give it to you earlier this morning, but she must have been preoccupied by some other matter.”

Rarity pulled a dress from a poniquine and onto her desk. “I do hope I’m not being a tad too overzealous debuting another of my works before the rest of my collection is complete. But oh, I do love my work.”

“Your craft is nothing to hide from the world Rarity.” Kain said. “And yes, I can attend this gathering. Though tonight I have a patrol as well, so I may not be able to stay for long.”

“That’s quite alright Kain.” Rarity said. “I’m just happy we’ve some time to spend together.”

She approached Kain and nuzzled him, to which he blushed from the affection.

It was still a rather new experience to have an affectionate gesture like that from another. Stranger yet was that it was from a pony. Kain was originally human, but he decided that it was just as important to brave this new territory as any other experience he’d faced.

////

The day soon turned to early evening with little event for the dragoon and he then found himself at Twilight’s library. Luckily, it was just a small gathering between the element bearers, so he wouldn’t have to worry about speaking over any loud music that would come from a Pinkie Pie Party.

Spike had just started serving soup to everyone when Twilight began to talk about her latest research.

“It’s really just exciting to be doing work with the Elements of Harmony themselves. Recently, I’ve learned they may have more properties to them than we originally thought!” Twilight said.

Although his knowledge of magic wasn’t vast, Kain found that he was interested in the subject matter. Though a Mysidian mage from his homeworld might have had an easier time understanding what Twilight was getting at. It was already apparent that some of the others, like Pinkie and Rainbow Dash, were more fixated on food than conversation.

"Why, just last night, I made a discovery that they’re emitting another force aside from the magic of their corresponding element!” Twilight continued.

“Uh, ya sure ya want to be messin around with them again girl?” Applejack asked. “The last time you did that, we thought ya blew yerself up.”

“Don’t worry, Applejack.” Twilight said. “I’m taking every precaution and not casting any spells using the elements.”

Spike had just finished serving himself and began eating as if this was all in a day with Twilight.

“Do take care of yourself dear.” Rarity said. “I know that Spike is helping you, but please don’t do anything that might be hazardous to your health.”

“Yeah, try not to blow anything else up while you’re at it!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Girls!” Twilight said, breaking the conversation. “I’m not going to blow up anything! In fact, Princess Luna and Celestia both asked me to look into this directly.” She then paused and shifted uncomfortably.

“It’s strange really; I was actually surprised they wanted me to study them again. Princess Celestia asked me specifically to look into them again out of the blue. And to be honest, I sensed the elements giving off an aura that seemed quite different the last time we held them. It felt kind of funny.”

“I didn’t know magic could be funny Twilight!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. “Did the elements start telling jokes? Was it the Element of Laughter? What did it say?”

“Not funny in that sense Pinkie. “Twilight said. “I mean, it’s like their ambient energy seemed different, something new in addition to what they felt like before.”

“What do you mean by that?” Kain asked.

“I can’t quite explain it, but it’s sort of like going outside and just feeling like something is just slightly off. Sort of like a variation in air pressure or temperature.” Twilight said.

Rainbow Dash’s ear’s quirked. “Now that you mention it,” She said, tearing herself away from the food. “things have been feeling a bit weird when I’m on weather duty. I thought it was just something going on with my ears.”

“All of my animals have been agitated by something for a while now.” Fluttershy said.

A look of concern appeared on everyone’s faces. “Now that can’t all just be one big coincidence can it Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“It really does seem a bit strange.” Twilight said, putting a hoof to her chin. “The elements might be able to pick up on any magical fluctuations. I hope this doesn’t bode any ill omen.”

Everyone at the table turned at once and incredulously glared at Twilight.

“Okay, we need to get a hold of Princess Celestia and Luna. Spike! Drop what you’re doing figuratively, not literally, and get ready to write a letter.” Twilight said.

“Wait! I’ve just got to get the tartlets from the oven! I’ve been practicing my baking all week, at least have dessert!” Spike said.

“Yeah Twilight, we can still have tartlets, right?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Oh alright.” Twilight said. “Bring them in and then get ready for a letter.”

“Great!” Spike said. “Let me just grab them and I’ll be ready to write in a minute!”

After a bit of a ruckus, Spike brought everything with him in his claws. Quill, paper, and a tray of desserts that otherwise would have been burned for anyone except for a dragon.

“Alright, who’s ready for dess- BURP!” Spike said until he belched out green flames, producing a scroll.

Twilight grabbed it with her magic and inspected the message. “Well, that was unexpected.” She said. The alicorn turned the scroll around examined the seal. “This scroll has the joint seal of both princesses. I rarely receive these types of messages.”

Twilight opened the scroll, scanned over the message, and quickly began to read aloud. “Dear Twilight, I apologize for the sudden letter, but it would seem that my sister and I must call upon your friends once more. As it stands, Princess Luna and I have not been able to adequately address the developing situation directly. We are currently indisposed and ask for your help.”

Kain had already begun to key in on their words. Something isn’t right. But I should hold my tongue until I’m certain. He thought.

“Since you already have the Elements of Harmony, I would like to ask you and the bearers to go to the Castle of the Two Sisters and investigate the elements there. There are notes in the library of the castle that we made when we studied their power. In the past, we sought to better understand them after we used them to defeat Discord. From time to time, the elements reacted to the changing magical climate of Equestria. We’ve no doubt they are reflecting some sort of disturbance.”

“So, it wasn’t just us.” Twilight said. “There really is something strange going on.” She continued reading.

“Princess Luna has also asked that Kain accompany you in this journey. She believes that you may be facing some trouble while en route as you’ll be going through the Everfree Forest. Take care, Princess Celestia and Luna.”

Twilight put down the scroll.

“Do you often receive such requests so close to dusk?” Kain asked.

“Usually, if it’s something particularly important, Princess Celestia will send letters at any time of the day.” Twilight said. “Otherwise, she usually sends me letters at the start of the day.”

“Are you kidding me?” Rainbow Dash said. “Princess Luna even asked Kain to come along? You know this is big deal.”

“And it did have the seal of both sisters.” Rarity said. “You yourself said how that does not happen often.”

“Well it looks like we’re heading out again girls!” she said.

“Um, can’t it wait until morning?” Fluttershy asked.

The ponies at the table turned to look at her with an inquisitive look.

“Oh, alright then.” Fluttershy replied, reluctantly.

////

The sun was still beginning to set when the group began to make their way towards the Everfree, and further yet, the ancient Castle of the Two Sisters. Each of the bearers was adorned by their respective elements, and Kain had once again donned his dragoon armor.

Twilight had her saddlebags packed with books, and strode in front of the group to address them. “Alright everypony, let’s get going and… what is that?” she asked, looking at Rainbow Dash, who was adjusting a sword sheathed at her side.

It was a blade that she had earned for her bravery after fighting off an attempt against Twilight’s life by Queen Chrysalis. Though it was meant more as a ceremonial gift, Rainbow took it to heart. The blade, Canterburn, was now strapped to the pegasus.

“What?” Rainbow asked. “It’s like Princess Luna said, we need to be ready for trouble! Besides, Kain will agree, I’m pretty good in a fight and bringing my sword won’t be such a bad idea, right?”

“Rainbow Dash is correct.” Kain said. “We don’t know what we may encounter, and it’s better to over prepare, even if we are only making a short trek.”

After giving Rainbow’s weapon a skeptical glance, Twilight spoke. “Alright, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We can always see if we can deal with obstacles peacefully.”

“Let us hope for that to be the case.” Kain said. “Seeking out the ancient castle is our main priority, not battle.”

Sunset had just come to a close by the time the group finally embarked from Sweet Apple Acres. The farm was a short distance from the fabled forest. It wasn’t exactly on the doorstep of the Apple residence, but the family always kept a close eye on the horizon. The sky held a pink tinge of minuscule rays of sunlight over the horizon.

“So, what is it that you think we’ll find at the Castle of the Two Sisters Twilight?” Rarity asked.

“Well, Celestia believes that the elements are connected to the overall magical climate of Equestria in some way; my guess is that there may be some old research notes she made to see if we can discern an answer as to why they’re behaving differently or why they’re responding to the ambient changes in Equestria.” Twilight said.

“That doesn’t sound good, any way ya slice it.” Applejack said. “Cuz the elements are always the thing that saves the day, but now yer tellin us that something strange is going on and the elements are actin differently?”

“I wouldn’t go as far as to say something bad is happening Applejack.” Twilight said.

“Ah hope yer right.” Applejack said.

There was an almost unnatural serenity as the group journeyed to the castle. Going near a place apparently fraught with danger, the Everfree, would almost leave even the most experienced traveler feeling apprehensive. There were the occasional sounds of wildlife emanating from the swathes of plant life, but it was as if those seven ponies were the only souls in the woods at that moment.

“Do you remember when we first came through here?” Fluttershy asked.

“Yeah, I remember,” Rainbow Dash said, “there was all that dangerous stuff we encountered just so we could face Nightmare Moon.”

“Manticore’s, illusions, and a faulty bridge. It all seems so calm now.” Rarity said.

“Sometimes, it really makes you wonder about where you are in life, and where you’re going next.” Twilight said. “It’s as if all you’ve seen before only pales in comparison to what lies around the corner.”

“There are always more trials, it seems.” Kain said. “Life has a way of showing you you’re never finished.”

The group pressed on in the unorthodox ease of the trip. As the castle loomed into view it appeared as if there was even less cause for apprehension. Once inside, the ponies moved about the ruined keep to see if there was any sign that could lead to answers regarding the elements.

“There certainly are a lot of books in the Princesses’ collection, but they all seem to be literature rather than scholarly,” Twilight said, while moving through the books at a quick place only a magically gifted librarian could move at. Everyone else comparatively was moving at a much slower pace making even less progress.

“Princess Celestia had said before that she conducted research into the elements in the past, but it doesn’t look like this is the place to find any such thing. Wait, there’s something here!” Twilight said. She then reached out with her magic and an audible click sounded.

Out of the base of the floor a dais emerged. It had six platforms, a central one with a book on it and five empty ones that orbited it.

“Isn’t that the do-hickey that held the Elements of Harmony?” Pinkie Pie asked while hopping around the apparatus.

“Not exactly,” Twilight said, “That one was closer toward the throne room. We’re in the library of the castle. This one must be where the Princesses studied the elements when they first received them. Though, it’s odd that there’s a space here for the Element of Magic if it weren’t for the book.”

Twilight made her way over to the book and began reading it.

“That one wasn’t discovered until we confronted Nightmare Moon, and you were chosen as its bearer.” Rarity said. “What does the book say Twilight?”

“This is weird, it’s a list of hypothesis that the Princesses’ made about the Elements of Harmony. They sensed a gap in the magic as well. “Girls, I need the elements!” Twilight said.

Each one of the bearers surrendered their necklace to Twilight. She then placed them on the stands, including her own crown.

“Well, now what?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Should that have done something?”

A voice then emanated from the depths of the castle.

“You who bear the Elements of Harmony,” the feminine voice was strong and comforting. “Bring them here and you will have answers to your questions.”

“Uhh, who was that?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Anypony recognize that voice?” Applejack asked?

Each member of the party shook their head.

“Can it be trusted?” Kain asked.

“That voice doesn’t sound like anypony I know.” Twilight said.

“It’s the only clue we have right now Twilight.” Rarity said.

The sound of stone grinding against stone was heard and the group turned to the origin of the disturbance. Seemingly out of no specific portion of the wall an arched tunnel made itself visible.

“Our only lead…” Twilight said.