• Published 21st Nov 2016
  • 533 Views, 4 Comments

The Life and Times of Benjamin Inventor (Part 2) - Bsherrin



Workshop prospering and with a new apprentice, Mr. Inventor prepares to join the Apple family.

  • ...
5
 4
 533

Construction Begins

Construction Begins

SMOOTHING a cypress beam
With a scarred hand,
I saw a carpenter
In a far land.

Down past the flat roofs
Poured the white sun;
But still he bent his back,
The patient one.

And I paused surprised
In that strange place
To find an old stallion
With a haunting face.

"Who art thou, carpenter,
Of the bowed head;
And what buildest thou?"
"Heaven," he said.

I'm going to build a little house
With windows wide and bright.
With chimney tall and curling smoke
Rising out of sight.
In Winter when the snowflakes fall
Or when I hear a storm,
I'll go inside my little house
Where I'll be snug and warm.

“Poems for Architects”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

The morning of 15th greeted us with a red sky; AJ and I agreed most likely rain in the afternoon. As usual we had breakfast with the family, then after a quick nose rub went to work, me to the workshop and AJ to the fields. We agreed to meet at 11:30 at Finial’s to see the blueprints and then to have lunch at Pierre’s with the builders. I also wanted to invite Summer Breeze to the house for a preening so AJ and Apple Bloom could practice. I’d suggested Apple Bloom ask the spa ponies to add pegasus preening to their services and offer herself as the one to do it.

After I got to the workshop, Fall had a few new diagrams to show me including a pretty good design for compressor so we could install rudimentary air conditioning in the workshop addition. I made some suggestions and wondered yet again if there was any way to harness magic without having to renew it once a month. Without a unicorn around, no vehicles, no compressor and no geothermal.

I looked over the accounts (27,345 bits in the workshop account), then gave Maggie a lesson on the new typewriter. Mrs. Grass primus wouldn’t go near it and called it “an infernal machine”, so Maggie volunteered to try. She did pretty well, too, and I gave her some exercises after we finished.

It was harder to get back to work after our trip than I expected, but habit paid off and I finished several smaller jobs. Mrs. Grass brought me a letter with strange cursive and archaic phrasing. It asked if we could design a marine steam engine which surprised me since, as far as I knew, all ships were still sail. Maggie confirmed it when I asked her. I told Mrs. Grass to answer “if somepony could think of it, we could build it” and to please pay the shop a visit, etc.

I left at 11:15 to meet AJ and found her waiting outside of Finial’s, very excited about seeing the blueprints. We went in and found Finial at her desk.

“Mr. and Mrs. Apple,” Finial said, moving around her desk to shake our hooves. “You’re just in time! I’ve finished double checking your blueprints,” said added, gesturing to a neat stack.

“We’re ready when you are, Architect!” said AJ, enjoying the moment.

We spent about an hour going over the design. Finial’s only change from my original idea was to use granite instead of brick. I told her that was fine since I knew how to fuse granite which would make the house very solid. The kitchen was a marvel of innovation which included an island with a sink, double iceboxes, a gas stove with an attached hot water tank, hooks for pots and pans, dozens of cabinets and drawers, a walk-in pantry and flagstone flooring with a drain.

“This shows the steel framing you wanted, Mr. Apple, starting with a dozen beams over the basement to support the ground floor,” said Finial, flipping through the blueprints to one of the first ones. “That will support the ground floor and other three floors. And,” she said, grinning like a fox, “I have secret passages from the master bedroom to the second floor parlor, from the third bedroom to the kitchen and a slide which wraps around the tower from the top room to the ground floor.”

AJ and I both cheered and applauded at that last one.

“Well done, Finial, very well done. Say, let’s go next door and get Ashlar, then head to lunch. We can talk schedules then.”

I was up and out the door with AJ behind me and didn’t hear Finial say, “Uh, well, about that, Mr. Apple…”

I excitedly burst into Ashlar’s office, AJ right behind me. “Ashlar! Let’s talk materials over lunch!” I said.

Ashlar was behind her desk just like Finial with a stack of telegrams in front of her. I saw her surreptitiously wipe away tears then smile that same dazzling smile she used when we first met her. It looked a bit forced to me, though.

“Mr. and Mrs. Apple! I was hoping I’d see you today.”

“What say you, General Contractor?” I said, taking one chair while AJ took the other.

“Well, sir…I…well, none of the trades will agree to work for me.” Ashlar slammed both hooves down on her desk, scattering the telegrams. “It’s just so unfair. They tell me I don’t have enough experience but I can’t get experience if they won’t come and work for me.”

Finial walked in then carrying the blueprints in a cardboard tube. “That’s what I was trying to tell you, Mr. Apple. We have plans ready and materials ordered but the only trade we could get was Blessing’s Concrete. And their motto is “We pour for anypony.”

“Hmm,” I said, holding my front hooves together. “Bit of a hazing for you, Ashlar. Most likely they want to see how you’ll handle it, then come work for you when you finally give up.”

Ashlar nodded unhappily. “I’m sorry, Mr. Apple. I wanted to start building this week. I even arranged with the pegasi to hold off most of the rain over the building site for the next month.”

I gave Ashlar a bland smile, then looked at AJ. She nodded.

“I’ll stop by the telegraph office after lunch. Ashlar, do you have a building schedule?” asked AJ, holding out a hoof.

“Why, yes, Mrs. Apple,” said Ashlar, handing over a couple of close-written pages. “I don’t see what good that will do you, though.”

“Young mare,” I said, “you’re about to see just how useful it is to belong to a very talented extended family. Meanwhile,” I said, rising, “I place myself and Fall at your disposal. She and I can help you dig the foundation, put in the water lines, drill the geothermal and set most of the framing. As of now, General Contactor, we are your employees. Well, most of the time, anyway. One of us will have to man the workshop off and on.”

Ashlar’s ears shot up. “You mean it, Mr. Apple?”

“I do. When would you like to start?”

“The first load of granite arrives in two days, the first steel four days after that. I’ve also rented some tents so we can store material at the building site. Uh, Mr. Apple…?”

“Speak.”

“I could use some more bits, sir.”

“Ah, the eternal song of the General Contractor. Mrs. Apple?”

AJ reached into her pouch and pulled out a check she’d written before we came. “Is 5,000 bits enough, Ashlar?”

Ashlar started wide-eyed at the check, then gave that smile I’d hoped to see again, a genuine one this time. “Yes, ma’am, it certainly is! That should cover the rest of the material including the silver for the door fittings and for the electrical wiring.”

“Well and good. Now, who’s hungry?” Both unicorns raised their hooves. “Then we’re off!”

We headed to Pierre’s, the unicorns flanking AJ and I enjoying the view from behind just like when we walked to the workshop. The head waiter seated us outside under an awning and I listened while AJ and the twins talked interior decoration. I’d planned to stop at lathe and plaster and then trot briskly away, leaving the rest to AJ. We’d have paneling in the tower and my study but those were the only rooms with it unless you counted the wainscoting in the dining room.

We were almost finished eating when Pierre himself came out.

“Mr. and Mrs. Apple, greetings. And the beautiful Lambert sisters, greetings to you as well! You’re enjoying the food, yes?” Pierre put his right forehoof on my left shoulder and quietly merged his magical field with mine while he was talking to the others. At once I knew Fleur had told him about our…encounter…and Pierre let me know he was glad I’d survived. I thought back the same and we both took a moment to admire Fleur. Just before he withdrew, I sent him an image of a Ponyville Bank sign replacing the Canterlot 1st National Bank sign. He sent back an image of Lady Silver tied to the railroad tracks which amused us both no end.

“So, then,” I said after Pierre left and I paid the waiter. “I’ll see you the morning of 17th, Ashlar?”

“I’m really looking forward to it, Mr. Apple!” said Ashlar.

“Yes, indeed. Expect crowds to gather as we make progress. I daresay the trades who turned you down will sneak in as well.”

Ashlar gave me an evil grin. “That I’m really looking forward to, sir!”

The 17th dawned clear and after breakfast I headed to the building site. Ashlar met me there and had the basement, garage, drain lines and water lines marked out. I dug out the entire basement first and moved the huge square of dirt to a little dingle AJ told me she wanted leveled. That done, I dug out the basement drain line which ran 15 feet deep in places. Ashlar, meanwhile, dug out the water lines and marked out the dam site. Ashlar and I set up these two huge tents as well. I stood in the middle of one and acted like a ringmaster pointing to imaginary building materials. Ashlar just rolled her eyes at her nutty employee.

After lunch, the first of the granite arrived and Ashlar had the sturdy ponies pile it next to the basement. Ashlar said she needed to put in plumb lines for the basement walls and excused me around 2. I cleaned up, then went back to the workshop.

On 18th I diverted the creek, then Ashlar and I set the formers and rebar for the dam and powerhouse floor. Ashlar had marked off the foundation and set the formers for the footers, so we placed the rebar, then did the same for the garage slab. Fall showed up with Amber Blessing and her crew at 8. I knew Amber from the Stable of Commerce.

“Amber! Good to see you this morning!”

“Hiya, Mr. Apple! Say, this is quite the pour you’ve got here. I think we have enough but can make more if we need it.”

“May Fall watch?” I asked.

“Sure, sure, and do more than that, I hope,” said Amber, patting Fall on the shoulder. Fall grinned at Amber and both headed off. Ashlar like a good General Contractor mainly stayed out of the way. Granny and AJ brought lunch for everypony and I enjoyed getting to know some Earth ponies I hadn’t met before. Word had gotten out I’d answer unicorn questions without getting indignant, something which happened all too frequently when unicorns dealt with other types of ponies, sad to say. Once Amber’s crew and Amber herself asked a few tentative questions, the rest came thick and fast.

“If unicorns get thirsty, can they use magic to call water?”

“Why do unicorns bow all the time?”

“Do unicorns sleep at night or just do that thar meditatin’?”

“When you’re with a unicorn filly…?”

Amber whacked the young stallion who asked that one and his ears drooped.

I held up a hoof. “It’s fine, Amber; I did say any question, after all.” I looked back the subdued stallion who was about Lauryn’s age. “Go ahead, young stallion, just try not to get too…explicit, yes?” Answering his questions about unicorns spending intimate time together led to some wide eyes and then several nods all around. The more ponies know, I thought.

After lunch the crew finished pouring, Fall getting into the thick of it. They smoothed the rest of the day and finished right around dusk. More food and more questions, then a tired but satisfied crew headed home. I made sure Ashlar gave Amber some extra bits so she could take the crew to the pub on us.

On 20th, concrete set, it was back to me and Ashlar again. I diverted the stream back to the pond we’d dug out behind the dam, then opened the sluiceways to let it flow again as soon as the water level rose. The Smithson and Sons generator arrived and I installed that in the powerhouse slab, then Fall hooked up the turbine. Ashlar could set stone better than I and had the first four courses of granite in place. We took turns so we didn’t get in each other’s way, resting in between. By noon, we had finished the basement walls. After lunch, I showed Ashlar how to fuse granite and when I finished, we had what was essentially a single block of granite for a foundation. I kept the look of the stacked stone, though, since AJ liked it. We filled in the dirt around the outside and then shook hooves.

On 21st Amber came back and finished the basement. The steel arrived just as Amber and her crew climbed out from smoothing the concrete. Amber couldn’t get over the granite foundation. “No water in this basement, Mr. Apple. It’ll stay as dry as a bone and that’s the truth.”

Ashlar and I took a half day while the basement dried and went to the spa where AJ and Finial joined us. Finial had been at the site a good bit, too, but wasn’t as proficient as building as Ashlar. Finial made sure we had all the notches for the steel in place along with marking the power lines and some other odds and ends.

On 22nd Ashlar and I framed in the garage. Fall delivered the double size water heater I’d made and Ashlar and I lowered it into the basement onto some granite supports. Ashlar soldered in the copper pipes which impressed me greatly since I always had trouble. As I predicted, we had several ponies watching us work, then a good many more around lunch including several pegasi. After lunch, Ashlar and I set the 12 steel girders in place on top of the granite foundation. I had to shape stone in a couple of places but by 3 we had one very solid first floor.

I spent the 23rd at the shop and went back on the 24th. Ashlar had some of the first floor framing up including a good start on the tower. I joined her and by noon we were ready for the second floor. We had an audience of around 50 ponies and many cheered when we fused and riveted the second floor girders. I noticed several trades I knew from the Stable of Commerce trying to remain inconspicuous in the crowd. Ashlar noticed as well but both of us pretended we didn’t.

By the 1st of Fifth, we had a fully framed house. A laconic, straw-chewing Apple (“Call me ‘Chips’, everypony does”) arrived that morning from Appleoosa with six other Earth ponies and started laying the subflooring and the floors including a sprung floor in the ballroom. He was a bit dubious about the geothermal heating but Ashlar and I both insisted, so eventually he just shrugged and let us lay out the tubing. He put the floors over it with many a side glance at us, though. Chips used pegs, too, so the floors became essentially one large piece of wood.

By the 6th of Fifth Chips and crew finished framing the attics so Ashlar and I put on the slate roof and copper gutters. Another Apple arrived to install the plumbing and still another to run the electrical. I insisted on at least two outlets on every single wall in the place and our electrician was most impressed with our insulated silver wire. She also ran wiring for electric lights in the ceiling. AJ and I had decided on gas but wanted the option if we ever decided to change. Next came the exterior walls and by the 15th of Fifth, we had one first-rate house under roof and ready for finishing.

The twins, AJ and I had an official meeting that evening to see what came next. Ashlar gleefully told us a couple of the carpenters from town came up to her and asked if they could install the lathe, no doubt hoping they get some of the more elaborate finishing work. A good sport, Ashlar hired them and they’d already started. A couple of plasterers wanted work as well, so AJ said she’d cancel the Apple she’d summoned for that.

Ashlar sighed in satisfaction. “That should do it for you, Mr. Apple. I certainly have enjoyed working with you these last few weeks.”

“Excellent, Ashlar! How’s the money holding out?”

Ashlar opened a file folder. “Not too bad, Mr. Apple. We have a little left over which we can spend on some of the more exotic woods Mrs. Apple wanted.”

I raised my eyebrows at AJ and she just gave me a lopsided grin.

“Hmm, yes, well, I’m sure Mrs. Apple will give you more if necessary. Well and good, then. How about the workshop addition?”

“We’ll start right around Midsummer, Mr. Apple, hopefully before you go to the wedding,” said Ashlar.

I groaned and hid my face in both hooves. “Egad, don’t remind me!”

The twins laughed and AJ just patted my bowed head. “You know you love weddings, Hon!”

Sure I do, sure.

Another Wedding

We sleep in separate rooms, we have dinner apart, we take separate vacations – we’re doing everything we can to keep our marriage together.

Rodney Dangerfield

I checked the boxcar one last time, and then lowered the temperature on the 48 crates of beets, broccoli, cabbage, early corn and tomatoes, peppers, spinach and Summer squash. Maggie had really come through for the wedding and the load was more than enough for the 100 guests and staff.

I checked the time and the station clock showed it was just before 7. Moving along, that would get us to Canterlot around 1:30. I hopped into the cab (which had “Cecilia” and master sergeant stripes on both sides) and Roundhouse gave me his usual grin.

“Ready, Mr. Wizard?” he asked.

“Ready, Roundhouse,” I answered. The firepony was a very young Earthpony stallion I hadn’t met before. “And who is this firepony, if I may ask?”

“This here’s my grandson Casey. Case, say hello to Mr. Apple.”

The young stallion grabbed my proffered hoof in both of his and shook it vigorously.

“Gee, Mr. Wizard, I sure am glad t’ meet ya! Granddad’s told me all about you.”

“The pleasure is mine, Casey,” I said as he released my hoof.

“On our way, sir,” said Roundhouse, giving two toots on the whistle.

We pulled out of the station and made good time through the hot morning. It was 18th of Sixth and another scorcher. I wondered if 20th would cool down for the wedding. At least the wedding was later in the day at 6 so the reception outside was in the cool of the evening. I sighed over the logistics since I’d most likely have to help set up and take down. It was always a nuisance when we had parties outside instead of in the ballrooms.

I thought about that and then realized Roundhouse, usually full of banter, was surprisingly quiet.

“All well, Roundhouse? You’re not saying much. You’re not sick, are you?”

Roundhouse gave me a half grin as he adjusted the throttle, and then became serious again.

“No, sir, not sick. The whole city is on edge, though, what with the magic dampening field and that strange dome the Guard has up. There’s a curfew, too, and nopony knows why exactly.”

Dome? A security dome was a Level 2 spell and was strictly defensive. It wasn’t too hard to maintain but was mainly a warning device; it wouldn’t keep out a determined opponent for long, magical or otherwise.

I nodded. “I’ll bet the unicorns are all out of sorts.”

“Yessir, that they are. Waaalll, don’t mind me. How’s married life?”

I went into some detail about the Homestead which was almost finished, living with a farming family and the latest workshop orders. Ashlar started the workshop addition yesterday, so Fall and I could finally start on the steam trucks in a few weeks. We had in three more orders for racers, too, along with all the other work for the locals. I’d kept the aeroplane a secret even from Fall but decided after I got back it was time to try it out.

Even with me going on and on, it was a far quieter trip than our usual one. The mood infected me and I soon grew quiet myself. The minute the hog crossed the city limits, I felt my magic drop to about half. I called a ball and even with my control, it was weak. Casey watched with wide eyes but unlike Timothy didn’t ask any questions.

We pulled into the freight depot at 1:35 and just like at the Gala, there stood Chancellor with a squad of Guards. I thanked Roundhouse and Casey, and then hopped out of the cab.

Chancellor walked over with an outstretched hoof.

“Ben! Good to see you, sir.”

“Chancellor, the same. You’re well?” I thought he looked tired and strained, not his usual self at all.

“I’ll fill you in later,” he said and looked over at the boxcar. “48 crates?”

“48 exactly. Which should take…”

“An hour and twenty minutes to unload,” the Chancellor and I said together, and then laughed. For just a moment he looked like his old self.

Chancellor introduced me to the Guard squad running the flatbed. The young Earth pony corporal saluted and we shook hooves. Without further ado, they hitched themselves to the flatbed and I started unloading crates, something of a strain with my limited magic. One hour and twenty-six minutes later, I followed the last load to the kitchen loading dock. Again, the kitchen staff set aside more than enough for us to eat. I thanked the squad and Chancellor dismissed them. Chancellor asked me to come with him to his office, so I paced him there.

Once we were in, he shut the door.

“You’re a 6 now, Ben?” he asked.

I nodded.

Chancellor signed. “It’s not good, Ben. I’ve never seen Herself so out of sorts. Even Lady Astrid, who has been wonderful these last few months, can’t seem to shake Princess Celestia out of it. We’re at a Level 4 alert and nopony knows why. And the unicorns! I get twenty complaints a day about the dampening field.”

“Wedding is still on, though? AJ and the other Mane Six got here a couple of days ago to help.”

The Chancellor nodded. “Your wife is in Pastry Kitchen #1, and the others are scattered around. Oh, it’s on, alright,” he said with a small grin. “The country may collapse, but Shining Armor and Cadence have planned this wedding for a year, so it’s happening.”

“How is Shining Armor?” I said, worried about my best friend. “He wrote me a month ago and sounded fine. He said we’d most likely not see one another until after the wedding. He and Cadence want to see the Homestead after they get back from Hot Springs.”

Chancellor nodded. “He’s on almost constant patrol and is one of the few Exempt so he can use his full magic to maintain the security dome.” Chancellor shifted in his chair. “I don’t like it, Ben, not at all. Something is off somewhere but I don’t know what. Stay alert, would you?”

“That I will, Clarence. Oh, and Clarence…?”

Chancellor looked up inquisitively.

“The Apples gave me a Private Name. You can call me ‘Maker’ when it’s just us,” I said, still proud to say it.

“Wha…? ‘Maker’ as in ‘Maker Jack’?” asked the Chancellor.

“The same!” I answered, looking mischievous and rubbing my forehooves together.

Clarence laughed and laughed. “That’s perfect for you! ‘Maker Ben’! Whew, gosh, I really needed that,” he said, catching his breath as he finished laughing.

Chancellor pulled out a work schedule with my name on it. “We’re short staffed since it’s Midsummer, so I have you filling in a half dozen places.”

I took the sheet. Kitchen duty, cleaning duty, some maintenance, readying the garden, setting up tables. All routine.

I looked up and checked my watch. It was 4 and I heard the castle clock chime the hour.

“I’m for the kitchen, then,” I said as I stood. We shook hooves.

“I’m glad you’re here, Ben,” he said. “You always make ponies feel better when you show up.”

“Confidence is high, Chancellor. And it’ll all be over on 21st, thank the Magic.”

Chancellor smiled as he released my hoof. “You know where I live if you need anything. Otherwise, I’ll see you at 5:30 on 20th in the Auxiliary Throne Room.”

I grimaced. “Window dressing.”

Chancellor smiled a courtier’s smile.

I waved, and then headed for the kitchens.

The next couple of days were a blur. I kept moving from dawn until well after dusk since a number of the staff had gone on “vacation”, most likely out of fear. I woke up the night of 19th to find AJ snoring into my back but her work schedule was even more demanding than mine, so we never had a chance to talk. I kept my eyes open and tried to keep ponies from rushing and making mistakes. I had to heal two, though, one with some nasty burns from trying to lift a pot too heavy for her and one with a broken leg from a fall. That along with the dampening field left my magic as low as it had been in as long as I could remember.

I was talking with one of the underbutlers about what tables we should move to the garden when Cadence burst out of the Auxiliary Throne Room in tears. The Mane Six minus Twilight came running after her and then Tia came last.

“You have a lot to think about,” Celestia said over her shoulder, then stomped off.

The underbutler and I just looked at one another and went back to what we were doing. We weren’t about to get in the middle of a royal quarrel.

At last all was ready or at least as ready as we could make it. I changed into my mess dress at 5 on the 20th and took the service passages to the anteroom right beside the Auxiliary Throne Room. Jenson and his squad met me there, and I shook hooves with all of them, glad to see familiar faces.

“Window dressing again, eh, Sergeant?”

“That we are, sir. At least it’s for the General this time.”

We took our places at 5:30. Mine was to stage right of the dais. The Deputy Commander, an exceptionally professional veteran of the Griffon War, was on stage left. Jenson and his squad were positioned around the room. I made sure the Chancellor gave permission for the squad and the DC to carry their service weapons instead of the ceremonial swords. No sense in taking chances. I was never in combat, so I didn’t carry a weapon.

At 5:55, Tia took her place and the procession started. Right at 6, Celestia started the ceremony. I thought Carl looked terrible but Cadence was almost gleaming, she looked so healthy.

“Mares and gentlecolts, we are gathered here today to witness the union of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Shining Armor,” started Tia. She went through the usual vows and made it to the final sentence.

“Princess Cadence and Shining Armor, it is my great pleasure to pronounce you…”

“Stop!” said Twilight, covered in grime and standing at the entrance. A murmur went up from the crowd. I wondered myself what she was doing.

“Why does she have to be so possessive of her brother? Why does she have to ruin my special day?” wailed Cadence. Her crying sounded a bit off to me.

“Because it's not your special day. It's mine!” And there stood another Cadence, an even more sorry sight than Twilight. I did a double take as I’m sure did most of the other ponies present.

“What? But how did you escape my bridesmaids? No matter. You're still too late,” said the Other Cadence. For some reason, I trusted the raggedy one more than the one on the dais.

“I don't understand. How can there be two of 'em?” I heard AJ ask.

“She's a changeling,” answered Ragged Cadence, clenching her teeth as she said it. “She takes the form of somepony you love and gains power by feeding off your love for them.”

Other Cadence’s expression changed to a rictus of fury, and then green flames surrounded her. I Felt a wash of strange, twisted magic as a green column shot up around Other Cadence. When it cleared, there stood a strange, black creature, a parody of an alicorn. She had huge sickly green eyes, a shining carapace covered in scales, fangs and insectoid wings.

That was enough for me. I looked over at the Deputy Commander and he nodded. He gave the signal for “advance with caution”. Jenson’s squad drew their weapons and started inching their way toward the dais. I started working my way toward the front of the dais in case there was anything I could do. Fortunately, the creature was too busy monologuing to notice. Her voice was seductive with a slight reverb. Dangerous, I thought.

“Right you are, Princess. And as queen of the changelings, it is up to me to find food for my subjects. Equestria has more love than any place I've ever encountered. My fellow changelings will be able to devour so much of it that we will gain more power than we have ever dreamed!”

“They'll never get the chance! Shining Armor's protection spell will keep them from ever even reaching us,” answered Cadence.

The creature chuckled, a surprisingly relaxed sound. “Oh, I doubt that. Isn't that right, dear?” she said, looking back at Carl. Carl just nodded and made a sound of agreement. Bad, very bad.

Cadence noticed as well and tried to run to him.

“Ah-ah-ah,” said the creature, lighting her twisted horn and blocking Cadence’s path. “Don't want to go back to the caves, now do you?” With remarkable grace, the creature hopped back onto the dais next to Carl.

“Ever since I took your place, I've been feeding off Shining Armor's love for you. Every moment he grows weaker, and so does his spell. Even now my minions are chipping away at it.” The creature went on, giving an evil laugh. “He may not be my husband, but he is under my total control now. And I'm sorry to say, unable to perform his duties as Captain of the Royal Guard.”

“Not my Shining Armor!” said Cadence firmly.

“Soon, my changeling army will break through. First, we take Canterlot. And then, all of Equestria!”

“No. You won't,” said Tia, stepping forward with a determined look I knew well. She’ll put paid to this weird imposter, I thought. I shared a look with Jenson who nodded.

“You may have made it impossible for Shining Armor to perform his spell, but now that you have so foolishly revealed your true self, I can protect my subjects…from you!”

Tia clashed horns with the creature, and then launched herself into the air. Wings spread, Celestia lit her horn and directed the beam straight at the changeling queen. The queen didn’t just stand there, though, and a green light shot out of her horn and met Tia’s Sun colored yellow light. To my and the other’s stunned amazement, the green light forced its way up to Tia’s horn and overcame her. I heard Celestia’s tiara hit the floor, then saw her slide about 20 feet away from me. Time to move, magic or no. I signaled, “going in”, shed my mess dress and jumped toward the Princess.

“Princess Celestia!” I heard Twilight scream.

“Shining Armor's love for Cadence is even stronger than I thought! Consuming him has made me even more powerful than Celestia!” yelled the changeling queen.

The Mane Six surrounded Tia as Twilight held her. I got there just in time to hear Tia say in a weak voice, “The Elements of Harmony, you must get to them and use their power to defeat the queen.”

I nodded to Twilight, who nodded back. Twilight looked at the Mane Six including my AJ and nodded again. They shed their dresses and raced out of the double doors looking very determined. I stood over Tia who had lost consciousness while the DC, Jenson and his squad formed a circle around us. I heard a CRACK and suddenly the throne room was full of a furious buzzing. Hundreds of creatures, minions of the queen, flew in through the windows.

Ponies panicked, some running, some pressing up against the walls.

“Protect the Princess!” yelled the Deputy Commander and swung his sword at a changeling attacker. He cut him in two, ichor spraying out. The other Guards were just as busy, hacking away. I kicked two changelings and punched another. Bodies started to pile up, but still the creatures came. Over it all, I heard the queen’s maniacal laughter.

I saw the DC go down under a pile of changelings, then each of the guards, one after the other. I couldn’t tell if they were alive or not since I was busy fighting off a half dozen creatures myself. I used the last of my magic to cast a dome of protection over Celestia and me but I knew it wouldn’t last long.

“Stop!” the queen said and raised a parody of a forehoof.

A dozen changelings stopped attacking and hovered over my dome.

“Well, well, what have we here? You have some skills. But you’re no match for me!”

I was too winded to answer.

The queen lit her horn and turned it full force against my barrier. I held it for a few more seconds, then it dissolved.

“Take him alive,” said the queen, pointing to me.

There comes a point in every fight when you know you’ve won or lost. Usually it’s around the 30 second mark. I’d held out longer than that but I knew I’d lost anyway; there were simply too many changelings. I remembered Ren and fighting on death ground, so that’s what I did. I went back to fundamentals, kicks and punches, connecting more often than not. The changelings kept coming, though, and got in some good hits. Two tried to grab my forehooves and if the queen hadn’t told them to take me alive, most likely they wouldn’t have bothered.

The moment came when I swung and missed. A changeling grabbed my right forehoof, then one grabbed my left. I kicked out against two more, but it was just a gesture.

“Tia!” I yelled as the changelings lifted me into the air.

“Oh, don’t you worry about Celestia,” said the gloating queen. “I’ve decided to let her live after all, thanks to your gallant defense. What is she to you, anyway, hmmm? More than just a monarch, I think.”

I didn’t answer.

“Let’s find out. Hold him!” said the queen to her minions. The changelings gripped me even tighter and one held my head so I couldn’t turn it left or right. The queen stepped toward me, then bent over. Out came a long, black forked tongue which wrapped around the base of my horn. It was repulsive and arousing at the same time.

“Oohhhhhh,” groaned the queen as she shivered in ecstasy, her eyes rolling back in her head. She held her tongue on me a few seconds longer, then slowly pulled it back and looked at me in triumph.

“Soooo. Oh, yes, Benjamin, I’m definitely going to keep you for myself. The love you feel for Celestia! And for the other one, Applejack. I’ll take their forms and feed on you for months, my new lover.”

“Choke on it, you evil creature,” I managed to get out.

“Let him go, ya monster!” I heard AJ yell.

The queen looked up at AJ, then back at me. “Yes, I’ll keep both of them alive so you’ll have hope. I’ll feed on that as well. But for now…nighty-night!”

She lit her horn as she waved a forehoof like a little filly.

Lady Magic, help me! Lady Magic! LADY M-

Darkness.

Greyness. A grey plain. The Astral.

I sat up.

“Tia!” I yelled, knowing at once I wouldn’t get an answer.

“AJ!” I called again anyway. I only heard the echo of my own voice.

THEY CAN’T HEAR YOU, GUARDIAN,” said a deep baritone.

I turned and there was Death, looking exactly the same as when I last saw him.

I was half frantic and forgot to bow. “Death! I have to save the Princess!”

Death pulled a scythe out of nowhere and used it to part the air in front of him. I saw the Auxiliary Throne Room and watched as Cadence and Shining Armor declared their love for one another. The queen sneered at that, but stopped open-mouthed as Carl and Cadence joined their magic and sent her and the rest of the changelings back to whence they came, wherever that was.

I watched my body lying in front of the dais. AJ and the other Mane Six raced up to me and AJ picked me up in her front hooves. I could see her tears as she yelled and shook me, but I couldn’t hear anything.

Death waved a hoof and closed the portal.

“So, then. It’s over,” I said, “just like that.”

Death nodded.

“Any casualties?”

NO, NOT EVEN THE GUARDS. THE CHANGELINGS ARE PARASITES AND RARELY KILL THEIR PREY UNLESS THEY HAVE NO CHOICE.”

“Well, that’s a relief, then. Er…please forgive the impertinence, Sir, but…am I dead?”

Death smiled, a sad, lonely smile. “NO, GUARDIAN. WHEN YOU DIE, I COME TO YOU, I DON’T BRING YOU HERE. YOU’RE IN A MAGIC SLEEP.”

“What, like in a mare’s tale?”

Death actually laughed a little. “YES, VERY LIKE.”

“Huh. Well, then, lets…” I started.

“Guardian!”

I turned and there was Lady Magic. Forgetting all propriety, I raced over and threw myself into her front hooves.

“My Lady! Where have You been? I called and called!”

Lady Magic wrapped her forehooves around me, then kissed the top of my head. “I’m sorry, my Guardian, so sorry. The changeling presence in this World kept you from Me before.”

I pulled back, wiping away tears.

“Your love saved Celestia, Guardian. The queen would have killed her without your defending her,” said Lady Magic, a forehoof on my left shoulder.

“They took me pretty easily, Lady Magic,” I said which was only the truth.

“Queen Chrysalis could Feel your love for her, Guardian, so it only matters that you fought.”

Chrysalis? The creature’s name. Appropriate.

“Well, then,” said Lady Magic, briskly. “It’s about time for you to wake up, don’t you think?” She raised a hoof.

MY LADY?” asked Death.

“Death?”

MAY THE GUARDIAN COME AND TALK WITH ME AGAIN?” Death looked at the ground. “I ENJOY HIS COMPANY.”

Lady Magic looked astonished, and then looked to me.

“Death is lonely, my Lady.” I turned to Death and gave a half bow. “Death, it would be both an honor and a pleasure to talk with you whenever you like.” I stood and grinned, rubbing my front hooves together. “We’ll start with mares.”

Lady Magic and Death both laughed at that, Death’s booming laugh surrounding us.

“That’s my Guardian!” said Lady Magic. She raised her right forehoof, and then dropped it.