• Published 21st Nov 2016
  • 532 Views, 4 Comments

The Life and Times of Benjamin Inventor (Part 2) - Bsherrin



Workshop prospering and with a new apprentice, Mr. Inventor prepares to join the Apple family.

  • ...
5
 4
 532

Spring Planting

Spring Planting

IN the heart of a seed
Buried deep, so deep,
A dear little plant
Lay fast asleep.

"Wake!" said the sunshine
"And creep to the light,"
"Wake!" said the voice
Of the raindrops bright.

The little plant heard,
And it rose to see
What the wonderful
Outside world might be.

“Poems for Farmers”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

We woke with the Sun, had the usual Earth pony breakfast, and then split up. Big Mac and I went to the tool barn and started sharpening tools including the plows and cultivator tines while the mares went to the greenhouse to sort out the seedlings. My magic was at a low ebb still and would most likely take a couple of days to recover but it didn’t matter since I sharpened by hoof anyway. Big Mac was almost as pleasant a companion as AJ and could go for some time without saying anything. When he did talk, he wasted no words. I did bring up the spa ponies once and he said he’d see more of them in the next few days. I told him I bet he would and we had a good laugh.

We broke for lunch, and then went back to it. Other ponies have no idea about the work on a farm; believe you me, there’s always something to do somewhere. We finished sharpening mid-afternoon, repaired a leak in the hay barn and then shifted the few remaining bales of hay from the back to the front. This year Sweet Apple Acres would bale their own hay, thank you very much, instead of buying it from the Brickles.

Baled hay stacked, Big Mac and I joined the mares for supper, and then all went to bed early. The morning of the 15th, we gathered our tools and headed for our assignments. Apple Bloom was 10 now and was almost as good a worker as AJ. She and I both plowed and I could just keep up with her. We met in the middle, exchanged a hoof bump, and then unhitched ourselves. Granny brought us lunch and after lunch we ran the cultivators through the newly plowed soil. I never imagined soil could feel so good beneath my hooves.

The next two days were a repeat of the first. Apple Bloom and I agreed the tomato field could use some compost and after spreading it we cultivated the field a third time to work it in. The compost smelled like the finest wine to me and I couldn’t imagine why I thought it reeked before.

On the 18th, Apple Bloom and I flipped a coin. She won and picked green beans while I got tomatoes. We split up and Granny brought the stakes and the seedling tomatoes to the composted field. I spent the morning setting them out and was half way through by lunch. I just made the final row as it started to get dark and looked on it with satisfaction: 1,050 plants.

“So, are you a farmer now?” I heard a pony ask. I turned to find of all ponies Rainbow Dash. I didn’t know her well. AJ had told me a number of stories about their adventures but Rainbow Dash and I moved in different circles. The other pegasi respected her but looked askance at her going off with the other Mane Six. And unlike most pegasi, Rainbow Dash usually kept to herself.

“So it would seem, Rainbow Dash. You’re welcome to some very fine Brandywine tomatoes in a 100 days or so,” I said, looking her over. Rainbow Dash always looked a little ragged and I thought she could use a good preening.

“Thanks,” she said and stepped closer to look at the plants. I’d forgotten how small she was and couldn’t help but compare her to the blue pegasi at the hotel.

“I just wanted to tell you we’re running a thunderstorm through the valley tomorrow,” said Rainbow Dash, looking up from the tomato plants.

I was puzzled since Granny already had the rain schedule the pegasi had set a couple of weeks ago. “Yes, I know. We certainly do appreciate all the Weather Patrol does for us.”

Rainbow Dash gave me a small smile, and then stared at the plants again.

“Well, if you’ll excuse me, I’m very hungry after working all day. I look forward to your rain,” I said, and turned to go.

“Ben.”

I turned back, somewhat miffed at Rainbow Dash using my familiar name without asking and also at her delaying my supper.

“Yes, Protector of the Realm?”

Rainbow Dash scuffed her right hoof in the dirt. “That’s more of an honorary title, you know.”

I just nodded, impatient but hopefully not showing it.

Rainbow Dash looked at the tomatoes again although they were getting harder to see in the dusk.

“My Weather Flight has three pegasi in it I’d have bet would never fly again. Storm Spotter just told me they got better but wouldn’t say anything else. Tell me…” Rainbow Dash stopped herself, and then took a deep breath. “Will you please tell me what’s going on? These are my ponies, Ben. I’m responsible for their welfare.”

“Why come to me for this, Rainbow Dash?”

“I just happened to see Storm Spotter and Wind Rider leaving your workshop the day of the wedding. I was there for that bird strike and tried to bandage Wind Rider’s wing. I know what kind of damage she took. She was never going to fly again, but…there she was.”

In answer, I stepped forward and laid a hoof on Rainbow Dash’s left shoulder. I healed the soreness in her right wing which had bothered her for a few days, then fixed a sprained right rear leg. I also aligned her spine.

Rainbow Dash took several quick steps back from my hoof and looked very alarmed.

“What are you?” she said. I could tell she didn’t trust unicorns all that much.

“May we walk and talk, Element of Loyalty? It’s getting late,” I said as I gestured to the farmhouse several fields away.

Rainbow Dash looked skeptical and I doubt she’d have walked with me I weren’t married to Applejack.

I explained as we walked. “I’m a healer, Rainbow Dash, but I’ve kept it very quiet. Storm Spotter did well not to tell you although I expect the other pegasi already know. I couldn’t stand to see them getting injured so they couldn’t fly again, so I started healing the ones Storm brought to me. Last time I told him to either bring them directly to me or to come and get me so I could go to them.”

Rainbow Dash looked angry for a moment, then sad. “Nopony said anything to me,” she said, looking down.

“I was going to tell you myself eventually. Now that you know, I’d also like to train at least two pegasi as triage specialists. I wrote Storm about that while I was at Hot Springs.”

Rainbow Dash perked up a little. “How was your honeymoon?”

“Most enjoyable. There are three wild pegasus mares on the hotel staff, did you know?”

“You’re kiddin’! That’s awesome! I thought they were a myth.”

“No, ma’am, they most certainly are not.

“Did ya see any others?” asked Rainbow Dash, eagerly.

“A few. Ah, here we are. Would you care to join me for supper?”

Rainbow Dash tilted her head and looked at me. “You really are as polite as Applejack says.”

I gave a half bow. “Always, Graceful Cloud Gatherer,” I said.

“Don’t you dare make fun of me! Not after I came all the way here to talk to you,” said a suddenly angry Rainbow Dash.

Startled, I came out of my bow quickly. “Forgive me if I offended you, Rainbow Dash. Such was not my intention.”

“Nah, forget it,” said Rainbow Dash, looking away from me. “I gotta go.” And she shot into the night sky.

Well, now, there’s a story there, I thought, as I took a quick outdoor shower and then dried off in the foyer. I walked in to find my family in the parlor.

“Here you are,” said AJ, giving me a quick nose rub. “Where were you? We were done eating 20 minutes ago.”

“Rainbow Dash had to look at my Brandywine tomato plants.”

“Who? Rainbow Dash!? Since when does she care about anything except flyin’?” said an irate AJ.

“I’m famished. Did you Earth ponies save me anything at all?”

AJ gave me a “we’re not finished with this conversation” look but didn’t say anything else. She and Apple Bloom kept me company while I had the last of the Fall apple crop, mushrooms, turnips, parsnips and some bread and honey. I could tell which fruits and vegetables came from our farm and which from other farms now.

I cleaned up the kitchen, then woke up Granny and Big Mac who had both nodded off. We wished one another good night, glad we’d have a half day tomorrow because of the thunderstorm. Nopony understood why we needed thunderstorms instead of the usual rain but the pegasi insisted on bringing them, usually one a week until Midsummer.

We got to our cabin and I turned and looked out on the dark fields from the open door.

“I love it here, AJ, I love it. Do you know?”

AJ came and stood next to me, leaning against my right side with her left hoof over my left shoulder.

“Yes, I do, Partner.”

And with that we went to bed. Just as I nodded off I realized the five steam trucks would give the workshop capital to help open the new bank. Add in Cutter and Bernie, I thought, and we’d have enough.

Storm

Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!
You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout
Till you have drench’d our steeples, drown’d the cocks!
You sulphurous and thought-executing fires,
Vaunt-couriers to oak-cleaving thunderbolts,
Singe my white head! And thou, all-shaking thunder,
Smite flat the thick rotundity o’ the world!

Storm speech from “The Pegasi Tempest”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

Cease, pegasi, to mourn, to weep, to wail;
Enjoy thy shining hour of Sun;
We dance along Death's icy brink,
But is the dance less full of fun?

“Poems for Pegasi”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

We got up even earlier than usual to make the most of the day before the rain. The pegasi were very good about starting on time and had scheduled a storm for noon. We divided up the work and my assignment was to run one of the seed drills and help AJ finish planting the corn. Sweet Apple Acres had two seed drills, each almost a century old. I’d looked them over earlier and was delighted to find the Smithson (before the Sons, apparently) nameplate; no wonder they’d lasted so long.

After breakfast, AJ and I hitched ourselves to the drills and started on opposite sides of what she’d plowed and cultivated. There’s a pleasure in using a seed drill in the quiet of the early morning. I warned off a couple of crows who were quite rude in return. AJ and I had to kill several last year to get the point across. Unpleasant and of course we didn’t tell Fluttershy but the crows had left our corn alone the rest of the year. When you’re a farmer, sometimes it’s us or them.

It wasn’t drudgery at all and once AJ and I were close enough, we sang and traded verses:

Me:

I’m dreaming now of my Halley,

Sweet Halley, sweet Halley,

I’m dreaming now of Halley,

For the thought of her is one that never dies

AJ:

She's sleeping in the valley,

The valley, the valley,

She's sleeping in the valley,

And the Mockingbird is singing where she lies

Together:

Listen to the Mockingbird, listen to the Mockingbird,

Listen to the Mockingbird still singing oe'er her grave,

Listen to the Mockingbird, listen to the Mockingbird,

Still singing where the weeping willows wave

Me:

How well I yet remember,

Remember, remember,

How well I yet remember,

When we gathered in the cotton side by side

AJ:

‘Twas in the mild September,

September, September,

‘Twas in the mild September,

And the Mockingbird was singing far and wide

Together:

Listen to the Mockingbird, listen to the Mockingbird,

Listen to the Mockingbird still singing oe'er her grave,

Listen to the Mockingbird, listen to the Mockingbird,

Still singing where the weeping willows wave

Me:

When the charms of Spring awaken,

Awaken, awaken,

When the charms of Spring awaken,

And the Mockingbird is singin’ on the bough

AJ:

I feel like one forsaken,

Forsaken, forsaken,

I feel like one forsaken,

For my Halley is no longer with me now

Together:

Listen to the Mockingbird, listen to the Mockingbird,

Listen to the Mockingbird still singing oe'er her grave,

Listen to the Mockingbird, listen to the Mockingbird,

Still singing where the weeping willows wave

Listen to the Mockingbird, listen to the Mockingbird,

Listen to the Mockingbird still singing oe'er her grave,

Listen to the Mockingbird, listen to the Mockingbird,

Still singing where the weeping willows wave

If there’s some better way to spend time than planting corn with your best filly while trotting in time and singing in harmony on a Sunny Spring day, I don’t know what it is.

We finished up around 11. We shared a nose rub, then walked the seed drills back to the equipment barn. I hosed them down while AJ poured the small amount of seed corn left back into the seed bin. I tilted my head toward the cabin and we ended up trying page 12 although we soon decided pages 15 and 22 were imaginary.

At 11:45 we walked to the farmhouse, showered off, watched the pegasi gathering clouds for a few minutes and then came inside. Granny and Big Mac had already gone into town but Apple Bloom had stayed. We had lunch and right at 12 heard a tremendous CRACK, BOOM as the thunderstorm started. We left the front door open and enjoyed watching the rain for awhile, then went back into the parlor. I helped Apple Bloom with her algebra while AJ read the paper, then snoozed on the couch.

After we finished her homework, Apple Bloom crawled up next to AJ and nodded off as well. I watched both sleep, then listened to the rain. I could Feel the Earth taking in the water and it was as satisfying as building a good piece of machinery. I thanked the Magic for my life and was just wondering how to get Lady Silver and the Canterlot 1st National Bank out of Ponyville when I heard a loud knocking on the door.

I answered it as AJ and Apple Bloom sat up. There stood Rainbow Dash and Wind Rider, soaking wet and with a limp pony between them.

Lightning flashed and I saw it was Storm Spotter.

“Kitchen,” I said, pointing the way. The mares carried Storm Spotter into the kitchen and laid him out on the tile floor.

“Lightning strike,” said Rainbow Dash, wiping water off herself with a dishtowel.

“It’s my fault, it’s my fault, it’s my fault,” said Wind Rider over and over again, hooves at her mouth.

“Knock it off!” yelled Rainbow Dash. Poor Wind Rider stopped talking and just whimpered every once and awhile.

Storm did look bad, I had to admit. The lightning had hit him in the left flank next to his tail and it had tracked all the way to his left eye. It had somehow missed his wing and just seared it, but the smell of burned feathers and hide was nauseating. I extended my healer senses right away.

Nothing. Storm was dead. My friend was dead.

I sighed and started to pull back my healing sense. “Rainbow Dash, Wind Rider, I’m sorry, but Storm is dea…” Wait a moment, what was that? I stopped pulling back my healing sense and went into T’ai Chi breathing. There, just at the edge of my awareness, so faint it was almost too small to notice was…something. I gently moved my magic toward it and touched the outside.

I was back on the grey plain. This again, I thought.

“What is this place?” I asked out loud. A small sign rose from the grey surface:

THE ASTRAL

“Thank you,” I said, and the sign dissolved again.

I turned around and there was Storm Spotter with all four hooves tucked under. Next to him was a large alicorn stallion, all grey with terribly sad blue-grey eyes. He was wearing a perfectly tailored white three-piece suit. The Stallion in the White Suit, I thought.

Death.

I walked over and stopped a few feet away from Storm Spotter, then gave a full bow to Death. He nodded but said nothing.

“Hey, Ben,” said Storm Spotter, looking up at me.

“Hey, Storm,” I answered as I came out of my bow.

“I’m dead, aren’t I?” asked Storm, looking back at Death.

“Well, not quite yet. I believe that’s up to you.”

“I got hurt bad,” said Storm, looking distant for a moment.

“Yes, Wind Rider is frantic,” I said.

“Not her fault,” said Storm, shaking his head back and forth. “Not her fault.”

I just stood and said nothing.

“Ben?”

“Go ahead.”

“Do you love me?”

“Yeah, but if anypony finds out, we’ll ignore the gossip.”

Storm laughed at that and kept on laughing. I joined him and our laughter echoed throughout the Astral.

“You’re a sap,” said Storm, standing up when he finished laughing.

“You’re the sap. I’m not the one who got struck by lightning.”

“Sap.”

“Sap.”

“What’s the damage?” said Storm, getting serious again.

“You’ll lose the left eye and have a scar the Lord of Hel will envy. You’ll feel like death warmed over for a couple of d…” I stopped when I realized what I’d said.

“Apologies to you, Sir,” I said, bowing to Death again, “I meant no offense.”

Death actually gave me a small smile. “NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE TO ME, GUARDIAN,” he answered. His lips never moved and his deep baritone seemed to come from everywhere. Magic, I wish I could do that, I thought.

“Thank you, Sir,” I said, then turned back to Storm. “Storm, you’ll live but you won’t like it for a couple of days,” I continued.

“Can I still fly?”

“Oh, sure. The strike missed your wing and just singed your feathers.”

“What about…being with mares?”

“You’re fine. Why don’t you find out with Wind Rider? She worships you.”

“Of course she does,” said Storm, rearing and spreading his wings out as far as they would go.

“Yeah, yeah, but check this out,” I said, also rearing and lighting up my horn.

That started us laughing all over again until we were wiping away tears.

“You’re a sap,” said Storm as he got control of himself.

“No, you’re the sap,” I answered.

Storm turned and bowed to Death who had listened to us with what I thought was amused tolerance. “Not quite ready to go yet, Death,” said Storm. I bowed as well.

Death just nodded to both of us.

UNTIL NEXT TIME,” he said and raised a hoof.

I was back in the kitchen and no time had passed at all. I lit my horn and touched it to Storm’s muzzle. He gasped, and then started to cough. He started breathing again but I put him to sleep since awake he’d feel terrible pain from the burns. I cut out his left eye as carefully as I could, then burned it to ash with magic; can’t have pony body parts lying around, after all. Wind Rider threw up on the kitchen floor from stress and from watching me but Rainbow Dash just tightened her jaw. Apple Bloom cleaned up the spit-up while Applejack led Wind Rider into the parlor and gave her a brandy.

I healed the eye socket and checked the muscles behind it, then moved on to the burns. They were third degree and made a pattern which looked like a branching tree. I healed them and removed as much scar tissue as I could. When I regrew the hair it came in white, so Storm now had a lightning pattern from the top of his left eye that branched out down his flank and ended at his tail. It was quite…spectacular, really. Leave it to Storm to almost die from a lightning strike and come out looking at least as good as before, I thought.

“That should do it,” I said to Rainbow Dash who hadn’t moved. “He’ll need to stay here for a few days until he can fly again.”

Rainbow Dash nodded, then walked into the parlor. “Wind Rider, stay here with Storm until he can leave, okay?”

A frazzled Wind Rider looked up and nodded.

Rainbow Dash turned to me and to AJ who had come to stand bedside me. “Thanks, Ben,” said Rainbow Dash gruffly.

“You’re welcome, Rainbow Dash. We’ll look after Storm until he’s better,” I said. AJ just nodded.

Rainbow Dash opened the front door and started to fly into the rain, then turned back to us. She kissed me on both sides of my muzzle, then quickly kissed my mouth instead of the usual nose touch. She did the same to Applejack, then ran out the door and was gone. AJ and I looked at one another with the same astonished expression.

“Well, now, what d’ya think about that?” said AJ. “That’s the first time I’ve ever seen her get affectionate with anypony.”

“We are quite appealing, you know,” I answered.

AJ just smiled and bumped my shoulder with hers, then went upstairs to get the two spare bedrooms ready. I walked back into the kitchen, dried Storm with magic, and then lifted him onto my back. Even though he was a stallion, he was a pegasus and lighter than my Earth pony filly.

I walked into the parlor and found Apple Bloom holding Wind Rider’s right hoof. “Apple Bloom, would you please show Wind Rider upstairs to the second guest bedroom?” Apple Bloom nodded, and then tugged at Wind Rider’s hoof. Wind Rider followed obediently and I followed them up the steps. AJ had both rooms ready and I put Storm into bed in the first one, then covered him up.

Wind Rider stopped in the hall. “Please, may I sit with him?” she said meekly while looking up at me with enormous sky blue eyes.

“Of course, Wind Rider,” I said and pulled up a chair next to Storm’s bed. “Are you hungry or thirsty?”

Wind Rider just shook her head as she sat down. “Well, I’ll come and get you for supper. You mustn’t forget to eat, you know. Bathroom is down the hall to the left.”

I shut the door behind me and AJ, Apple Bloom and I went back downstairs to the parlor. True to form, AJ stretched out and fell asleep again and Apple Bloom joined her. I read the paper, and then nodded off myself. The storm ended at 5 and Granny got back at 5:30. I woke up when she walked in and I noticed she looked very relaxed and satisfied.

“And how is Monsieur Lafitte?” I asked, hazarding a guess.

“Fine, just f…” Granny started, and then looked at me sharply. “How did ya know, Youngster?”

“50-50 odds, Granny, since he was one of the stallions asking about you last year. Remember?”

Granny looked at AJ and Apple Bloom snoozing on the couch, then back to me. She looked mischievous, and then whispered, “Just between us?”

“Of course, Granny,” I said. Then I raised both eyebrows and tilted my head so I was looking at her sideways.

Granny smacked me in the shoulder, and then chuckled. “You were right, Maker. I’m not dead yet.”

I grinned in answer, and then remembered Storm. “Granny, we have two guests…” I went on to explain what had happened. Granny, generous as ever, said both could say as long as they liked. She went into the kitchen to start supper. Big Mac showed up a few minutes later and I filled him in as well. He, accepting as usual, just nodded.

Supper was at 6, so I woke up AJ and Apple Bloom, and then went to check on Storm and Wind Rider. Wind Rider was in bed with Storm and had dropped off to sleep holding him across the chest with her right foreleg. I thought it best to leave both, so I shut the door and came back downstairs. I filled in the family and we had our usual fine supper. We called it an early night and all were in bed asleep as the Sun set.

We spent the 19th and 20th planting, and then finished up the plowing on the 21st. We rotated checking on Storm. He woke up late afternoon of the 19th and as I predicted was in some pain. I treated him for it, and then left him to sleep again. He woke up for good on the 20th and right away asked for a bathroom, some water and some food in that order. Storm remembered nothing from just before the strike until he woke up.

Wind Rider wouldn’t leave his side; I had trouble getting her downstairs to eat anything at all and the minute she finished, she raced back upstairs. Wind Rider and I helped Storm downstairs on the morning of the 21st and he started eating regular meals with the family. Wind Rider and I gave him a preening that evening in the parlor while fascinated Apples watched. Storm’s hum was very deep and AJ and Apple Bloom put their hooves on his flank so they could feel it.

The 22nd Storm was walking around outside and by the 23rd he and Wind Rider were gliding from some of the higher hills on the farm. Rainbow Dash stopped by several times and brought along an eye patch she’d gotten somewhere. I fitted it on Storm while Wind Rider watched. I told him he looked like Captain Armstrong “Fightin’ Mad” McGarrick, the pegasus stallion pirate from the foal series of books.

“Arrr, I be Captain Mad,” said Storm, stomping around and giving a bad imitation. Wind Rider and I whistled and applauded.

“How’s the depth perception?” I asked after Storm stopped.

Storm grimaced. “Not so good,” he said.

“Mmm, it’ll take about a month for you to get used to monocular vision. You’ll lose some peripheral vision as well. Likely you’ll need a wing pony for awhile until you get used to turning your head to focus.” I turned to Wind Rider. “Do you know anypony who could help Storm, Wind Rider?”

She raised a hoof and frantically waved it back and forth, then laughed, the first relaxed laugh I’d heard from her in a good while.
I left them then to go help with the planting. Both ate with us that evening, then went to bed in the one guest room; Wind Rider never did use the room we set aside for her. I wasn’t sure if the Apples would approve but when I looked a question at Granny, she just waved a hoof. “Pegasi,” she said as if that explained everything. Which it did, actually.

Early on the 24th we were all at breakfast when Storm spoke up.

“I’m ready to try flying now, Apples. I can’t thank you enough for taking care of me.”

“You’re welcome,” “Sure thing, Youngster,” “Glad t’ help,” came the replies.

We escorted Storm and Wind Rider outside then, after hugs and the Pegasus Farewell all around, waved as they took off and slowly flew toward Cloudsdale. We were heading for the fields when Rainbow Dash zoomed in and landed next to AJ and me. Say what you will about her manners, Rainbow Dash had been a very supportive and effective Wing Leader during Storm’s recovery.

“They gone?” said Rainbow Dash, abrupt as usual. She also looked terrible, even more ragged than the last time we saw her and with unkempt wings; Sunny would have been appalled. I extended my healing senses and found she was completely exhausted. She’d pulled her left wing muscle again, too, and had several bumps and bruises.

I looked at AJ and raised an eyebrow toward Rainbow Dash. AJ and I were so close now we could almost read one another’s thoughts. AJ nodded and smiled. I turned back to Rainbow Dash.

“Yes, Rainbow Dash, they just left. Wind Rider will act as wing pony until Storm gets used to his one eye.”

“Good, good,” said Rainbow Dash. “Thanks again.” Rainbow Dash started to turn into the Wind.

“Ah, Rainbow Dash?” I asked.

“What?” she said, turning back around.

“Applejack and Apple Bloom watched me and Wind Rider preen Storm Spotter the other night. They would very much like to learn how to do it. Would you be willing to act as a test subject so they could learn?”

“Uh…I guess,” said Rainbow Dash, looking suspicious again. I decided that was her default look, that and annoyance.

“Oh, excellent! I really don’t want them learning on some strange pegasus and I’m sure you don’t, either. How does tonight sound?”

“Well…I suppose,” said Rainbow Dash, still looking askance at me and AJ.

“Please come at 5:30. Supper is at 6 and we’ll have preening practice right after that,” I said, jovially.

With one last look, Rainbow Dash flew away. As we walked to the fields, I filled in the family on what we were going to do for Rainbow Dash. AJ and Apple Bloom were particularly enthused and Granny and Big Mac were more than ready to play along.

We finished the planting around 4:30 and were back at the house at 5. We cleaned up and AJ and I waited outside for Rainbow Dash. Right at 5:30, Rainbow Dash showed up. I pretended to work on the outside shower. AJ and I had worked out what to say and do earlier.

“I’m not sure, AJ, I’m really not.”

“Go ahead and try it, Partner.”

I looked up when Rainbow Dash walked over and looked at us curiously. “Well, here’s Rainbow Dash! Perhaps she can help.”

“What are you doing?” asked Rainbow Dash minus her usual frown.

“Trying to heat water with a minimum amount of magic. Would you please stand under the shower to see if it’s warm enough?”

“Huh, I guess I could use a shower, at that,” said Rainbow Dash. She stood under the shower head and AJ turned it on. I heated the water to slightly hotter than comfortable for me which I thought would work well for a pegasus’ slightly higher body temperature.

“That’s wonderful!” said Rainbow Dash, turning her face up to the water.

“Let’s soap you up, Rainbow Dash,” said AJ. AJ did just that, and dirt sluiced off of Rainbow Dash and ran down the drain. Rainbow Dash reveled in the attention although when she realized she was enjoying herself, she snatched the bar from AJ.

“I can soap myself, thanks,” she said, and while she tried, she didn’t do as well as AJ. AJ just smiled and nodded.

Once Rainbow Dash was clean, I shut off the water and dried her with magic. She looked doubtful at first but let me do it anyway. I also polished her hooves, and then AJ and I combed out her mane and tail.

“Why are you doing all of this for me?” Rainbow Dash asked as I finished working the knots out of her tail.

“Preparation, of course, Rainbow Dash. Can’t have you dirty for the preening, you know,” I said with my best courtier smile.

When we finished, Rainbow Dash looked far, far better than when she arrived. She really was very attractive since even though she was small, her proportions were absolutely perfect. I remembered Rarity saying something about that one day after she mentioned how Rainbow needed to take better care of herself.

At 6 Apple Bloom came to get us for supper and we all went in. The family made Rainbow Dash welcome and had the usual abundance of food. Rainbow’s appetite was prodigious, almost Earth pony levels, and AJ I exchanged a look; most likely Rainbow didn’t eat very well when she was on her own. Rainbow also relaxed considerably and laughed along with some of Granny’s stories about past Spring Plantings.

AJ and Apple Bloom had spread several blankets out in the parlor, so after we finished eating I had Rainbow Dash lie down. I had left some massage oil and a sweat scraper where Rainbow could see them.

“What’s this?” said Rainbow Dash, full, content and no longer quite so suspicious.

“Just a quick massage, Rainbow Dash. I want to show Apple Bloom some of the basics.” Apple Bloom waved a hoof when I pointed to her.

“Sounds good to me,” said Rainbow and stretched out.

I used magic to reduce Rainbow’s swelling and to fix her cuts and bruises, and then started in on her wing and leg muscles. I showed Apple Bloom where and how to rub and she was exceptionally good at it. AJ helped, too, and at times all three of us were rubbing a different part of Rainbow Dash at the same time. I had both Apples work on Rainbow’s shoulders which was where she carried stress. I used more magic and they finally unknotted. Rainbow had some serious muscle fatigue and I wondered how long it had been since she’d relaxed at all.

Next came the sweat scraper and the hot towels. I made sure I rubbed Rainbow’s ears thoroughly, too, and I felt them twitch with pleasure.

“How are doing, Rainbow Dash?” I asked when I finished.

“Mmmph,” she said, eyes closed and head propped on her front hooves.

“Very good. I’m going to start the preening now,” I said.

I got a cup of water, and then started with Rainbow’s left wing. How long it had been since somepony preened her I had no idea, but her primaries were in a shocking state. She tasted like raspberry with salt which wasn’t at all unpleasant although I wouldn’t have wanted to preen her without her showering first.

I worked on several primaries, and then switched off with AJ who took to preening like a duck to water. She switched off with Apple Bloom and AJ and I lay on either side of Rainbow Dash while Apple Bloom worked on the secondaries and then the coverts. I spread my magic field over Rainbow Dash and linked to AJ, something I didn’t think was possible before Hot Springs.

“Been awhile, I guess. Tingles, feels good, so good. Not their fault, my fault. Sent them in, I did, my fault, should have gone myself,” muttered Rainbow Dash, drifting. AJ and I just looked at one another and then back at Apple Bloom.

I switched with Apple Bloom and started on the right wing’s primaries. Rainbow Dash began to hum and to my amazement it was a mid range major chord with three separate tones. The Encyclopedia mentioned such but said it was extremely unusual. I wondered if it was because Rainbow Dash was an Element of Harmony or if she was naturally that way. The Apples were delighted, though, and even Big Mac knelt beside Rainbow Dash so he could feel the hum.

“Ya sure do know how to treat a pegasus, Ben,” he said, removing his hoof from Rainbow’s flank.

“Practice, Big Mac,” I answered. AJ put a hoof on my shoulder since she felt my wave of sadness, but I shook my head and smiled to show her I was fine. “Let’s put this particular pegasus to bed, shall we?”

I lifted Rainbow Dash onto Big Mac’s broad back, and then followed him up the steps to the first guest room. I tucked in Rainbow Dash who mumbled a little, then fell into a deep sleep. Satisfied, I shut the door and Big Mac and I exchanged a hoof slap.

We said good night and all went to bed. AJ and I walked back to the cabin.

“I didn’t know,” said AJ. “I just thought she was a pain. I didn’t know how much she cared.”

I nodded. “A preening will always bring out both the best and the worst of any pegasus. Then they can move on. It’s the ultimate release.”

AJ looked at me as if she’d never seen me before. “You really are a wizard, aren’t ya?”

“I am,” I said as I opened the cabin door. “And don’t forget handsome, dynamic, a good dancer and a phenomenal lover.”

AJ just pushed me through the door, laughing.