• Published 10th Feb 2018
  • 1,032 Views, 35 Comments

The Storm King’s Dreams - Flufux



The Storm King never really died...but being reduced to a broken statue isn't most people's idea of living. The ponies of Equestria could bring him back to life if they wanted to...but only if they can convince him to behave. Good luck with that!

  • ...
2
 35
 1,032

1) A World of Storms

The Storm King’s Dreams
By Flufux the Velociraptor

Chapter 1
A World of Storms

Wind...

Clouds...

Thunder...

Lightning...

Storms were raging...trees and buildings were swept away by the harsh, unforgiving winds...

Thunder and lightning boomed...and many thunderbolts rained down on the world below, setting whatever they hit ablaze...

The clouds were dark and grey...as if to vanquish the light and cover everything in perpetual darkness...

...And in the eye of this eternal storm stood a creature...a two-legged creature wearing black armour and covered in white fur, with cloven hooves on his goat-like legs, a pair of great dark horns on his head, a three-clawed hand at the end of both arms and a pair of glowing blue eyes that were looking upon this chaotic world with pride.

The creature’s fanged mouth showed a smile that was anything but pleasant...a smile that spoke of the malice he had for this world.

This creature...who was standing on top of a mountain overlooking the desolation below...was the Storm King.

He was the one who had summoned the dark clouds...and the winds...and the thunder...this was now his world.

He had absolute control over everything. The Sun, the Moon, the Wind, and the Rain, it was all his to command...and he needed no army, no magical staff, no treacherous cloud creatures or hornless unicorns to do it.

The Storm King had everything he’d ever wanted, and the whole world was going to remember and fear his name for centuries to come. He would never fall, never fade into obscurity, and never ever die.

He was so pleased with himself that he let out a loud and powerful laugh at the cruel world that he had successfully created.

“HAAHAHAHA, HEHHEHEEHEH, YEAH! COME ON, WORLD, TELL ME I’M NOT WORTH IT NOW, HA!” The Storm King bellowed to the sky, sounding way too excited to see the destruction before him.

However, in his excitement, he failed to notice that he was no longer alone on the lonely mountaintop he was standing on. Someone else had appeared a few steps behind him and looked upon the Storm King with a stoic expression on her face.

“So this is what you truly desire, storm-creature?”

Surprised by the second voice, the Storm King turned around and smirked at the sight of a talking dark blue pony with a flowing mane, a long horn on her head and a pair of wings sprouting from her back.

“Weeeeeell...this is kinda what I want,” he answered in a conversational tone. “This is everything I want actually...if it wasn’t for one tiny little detail. You wanna know what that detail is? IT’S YOU!!!

The last part of that sentence was shouted so loudly that it made the whole mountain tremble and caused the pony before him to flinch a little.

She stood her ground however, and showed no fear of the beast-man who had declared himself king.

Instead, she calmly asked, “And when this world is yours, and this fantasy you see before you is more than simply a figment of your imagination, what will happen then?”

The Storm King sighed, “How many times do we have to go over this, Luna-woona? When this is all mine, I will be happy. More happy at least than I could ever be AS A BROKEN STATUE!

Princess Luna, clearly disappointed with his answer, gave him a small glare, “You know full well that you are completely at fault for that yourself!”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” he shrugged off. “So I may have thrown that obsidian orb-thingamabob too close while standing on a ledge. That still wouldn’t have happened if that blasted TEMPEST hadn’t gone ahead and ruined my fun! When I get my claws on that good-for-nothing little pony, her bones will be as broken as her stupid little horn!”

He clenched his fist at the end of that sentence, showing that it was not an empty threat.

"To my understanding of the situation, that wouldn't have happened had you simply stayed true to your agreement with her," Luna pointed out.

"What? To give her back her horn?" he scoffed. "Did you seriously think I could even do that?! I just figured since she wanted that dinky little horn back, then all I had to do was make up a funny little story about me being able to fix it if I had enough magic, see?"

"You held the power of four Alicorns in your claws, giving you complete control over the sun and the moon. What is repairing a single unicorn horn compared to that?"

“Alright, let's put it this way, I'm the Storm King, she's the stray unicorn I picked up in the middle of nowhere, conditioned her into being my commander, and sent her to invade little pony land because she said you guys had magic to spare. Now imagine how I feel when I hear her yabber on about how she would show the world what she could do with her magic, not what I could do with my magic! Trust me, I can smell a would-be-traitor a mile away, and it's not my fault she was too stupid to think I would fall for that."

“Still can only find fault in everypony but yourself, can you?” Luna observed, sounding even more disappointed.

“Hey, when you turn into a shattered piece of crystal and have to listen to a pastel-coloured pony try to lecture me on what I can or can’t do, you wouldn’t feel any better, would you?”

“I was turned into crystal too, remember? And if Twilight hadn’t caught me in time, I would have ended up exactly like you.”

“Yes...how lucky for you that didn’t happen, huh?” The Storm King said with a smile...that then turned into a frown, “Now would you please do me a favour and tell me why I should care about you again?”

Luna took a few steps towards him and answered, “Because I am your only hope if you ever wish to be put back together!”

The Storm King cupped his chin with his claws in thought, then let out a sly grin. “Touche.”

The princess stayed silent, preferring to let him continue the conversation instead.

He then put his arms behind his back and asked, “Alright then...what do I have to do if I want my life back? Pay the bill, reveal my trade secrets, give you my magic? Ah, scratch the last one. I don’t really have any right now. But other than that, I'm open to suggestions, so name your prize!”

Luna shook her head, “This is a problem you cannot simply barter your way out of, Storm King! While we certainly have the power to bring you back, we would never do so if it could endanger the lives of others. And after seeing you still hold onto your ambitions even after all that has happened, and also judging by the attitude you have shown me so far, I do not see any reason why I should set you free.”

“And what if I promise out of the bottom of my heart that I would be a good, friendly Storm King, who would love to make friends with all the cute ponies in this sweet little candyland?” He asked in a mockingly sweet tone that simple reeked of insincerity.

Not particularly amused, Luna simply raised an eyebrow at him in response.

The Storm King let out a small chuckle, “Hehee, yeah, I wouldn’t buy that either.”

Luna remained silent for a moment, trying to think of what to say next.

She had dealt with his kind before, many times in fact. The power-mad sociopaths who thought the world belonged to them and that everyone else only existed for their amusement. Their dreams were usually things that made Luna's skin crawl just for how twisted they were. For the longest time, she considered those kind of people to be completely irredeemable.

At least...until she turned into one herself a thousand years ago. Though in her case, things were a bit different. Nightmare Moon, while born from Luna's jealousy and anger, was ultimately a separate entity than her. The Storm King was not possessed by an evil split personality. All the terrible things he'd done, he did of his own free will.

Still, there was another creature many assumed was an irredeemable sociopath but eventually ended up surprising her...one that was far more like the Storm King overall.

“You remind me of a former foe of mine," Luna eventually confessed. "He came to this land a thousand years ago, and used his wicked magic to transform everything he saw into chaos and mayhem, and just like you, he was also eventually defeated and turned to stone in the end. And yet, even after everything he had done, we ponies decided to give him a second chance and use his magic to serve good instead of evil.”

“Let me guess...that didn’t work?” The Storm King asked, not sounding very interested in this story at all.

“As a matter of fact, it did, and now because he allowed friendship into his heart, he got to experience a more fulfilling life instead of being reduced to a statue in a garden. I could offer you the same opportunity, but only if you are willing to consider it.”

The Storm King’s response came with a huge gag as if he was about to vomit. “Friendship? Friendship?! FRIENDSHIP!? BLEH!” he even stuck his blue tongue out in disgust, “Give me a break! The Storm King doesn’t have any friends, and that’s how I got big in the first place! Trusting friends, or anyone really, only makes it easier for them to stab you in the back when you least expect it. Believe me, I know.”

With a deep sigh, Princess Luna turned around and began to trot away from him.

Before she left, she decided, “Then...I guess you will stay like this forever.”

The Storm King's eyes widened in panic when he realised what that would mean, and he started to shout, "Wait, what about-"

...But he was too late, with a bright flash, Princess Luna stood no longer on top of a mountain surrounded by dark storm clouds...but in the Canterlot Dungeons, where the assembled crystallised pieces of the Storm King lay in a pile before her, his head resting at the top.

To the average observer, the shattered remains of the infamous conqueror would look no more alive than a pile of stones, and for the most part, you would be right in assuming that. After all, the Storm King could not breathe, move, or do practically anything for that matter...not even move his eyes to look around.

However, despite all that, Princess Luna could still sense the active mind and soul still locked inside those fragments, she could still touch his dreams whenever he had them, and even worse, she knew that when he was awake, he was fully aware of everything going on around him. While he couldn't move those eyes, Luna knew that he was looking at her through them.

With that fact in mind, she took a few steps toward his broken skull and stared into his constantly panicked eyes.

Then she said, "I do not know if there is any hope for you left...or if you are simply a lost cause, but I will not leave until I know for sure."

The same hysterical face looked back at her, with no sound or movement coming out of it.

"Though it might take awhile..." Luna noted out loud a bit later.

Author's Note:

Hello, ladies and gentlemen, this is the small feathered dinosaur of the day, Flufux, talking, and this is my newest story.

So, turns out that I need a distraction from writing my Spider-Man crossover story to keep my sanity and give you a dose of one of my favourite new villains I've seen lately. Yes, I'm talking about the Storm King, the evil but funny main villain of the My Little Pony movie as well as its prequel comic (which is awesome by the way).

Now, I have seen so many stories pop up dealing with what Tempest does after the movie, but barely any about the Storm King. Though I'm guessing that could have a lot to do with the fact that he seemingly died at the end, which I thought was a bit of a shame, all things considered. Plus, he only had like 8 minutes of screentime in the film, and while he completely stole the show in those 8 minutes, I would love to have seen more of him than that.

This story is meant to show a bit more of him, as well as bring on an interesting topic about who is, and who isn't redeemable. Also, I might consider going a bit deeper into who the Storm King might have been originally and where he came from for that matter.