• Published 29th Jun 2012
  • 1,312 Views, 45 Comments

The Herald of Fire - InsertCleverNameHere



4 dark heralds travel Equestria in search of one pony. But one of them, War, has doubts.

  • ...
5
 45
 1,312

Chapter 5

The chains weighed War down. They were so tight that, at some point, her ankles started bleeding. She looked around, but all she saw was darkness.
“Hello?”
War was met with a her long echo.
“Somepony, please, help me!”
Nopony responded.
War went back to trying to pick away at the chains. As strong as she was, though, the chains wouldn’t give way, and it only made her bleeding worse.
A laugh echoed around War.
She froze, and, in the darkness, she saw a familiar shape. She didn’t need light to know who it was.
Death stopped short of her, and stared at her, like she was savoring the moment. War tried to squirm away, but the chains weighed her down. She looked back, but now, Death was nearly twice as tall as before. Her claws looked sharper than ever. Death raised her claw, barely visible in the darkness.
Spark closed her eyes, waiting for the impact.
She cracked her eye open enough to make out a shape coming towards her. A the last moment, Spark screamed.
And at that moment, Spark hit the floor of her room.
She flailed for a few moments before realizing that she had a blanket over her face. She removed it, and looked around. The room was just as she had left it. There was no sign of anything from what she was realizing was a dream. She looked at her ankles. There was no sign of any bleeding.
Spark sighed.
It was only a dream...
Then, she silently snapped at herself.
War. Not Spark. Why is that so hard to remember?
War let her eyes drift towards the blanket.
Wait...
This didn’t make sense. War wasn’t her most conscious last night, but she didn’t remember covering herself with a blanket.
So then, who put the blanket on me?
War shook her head, and stood up. It wasn’t as if it really mattered, but she couldn’t quite shake off the question.
War hadn’t exactly made many friends, so who would do that?
Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door.
Unsure of what to do, she simply said,”Who’s there?”
A guards responded sharply.
“Princess Celestia would like to know whether you will be having breakfast here or with her in the dining hall.”
War looked down, deep in thought.
What to do? Should she accept?
A moment passed. War walked to the window, and looked out. The city was slowly awakening. There were few ponies out and about, looking as small as ants.
In a sense, this was her audience. By now, most of them would know she was here. They’d know nothing about her, except for what they had heard. No doubt, what they had heard was mixed. She had killed, but she had saved lives as well. In a way, this was a clean slate. A new chance. Isn’t that what she had wanted? To start over?
Either way, none of that would happen if she shut herself in her room.
She turned to the door.
“Are you still there?” she asked.
“Yes. Have you reached a decision?”
“Yes. I will dine with the princesses.”
A moment of silence passed.
“Very well. We will leave when you’re ready.”
War stepped forward, but stopped short as she caught sight of herself in the mirror. Her armor hadn’t lost its sheen, even with everything that had happened. She was dressed for battle, not a breakfast.
War quickly began stripping the armor plates off her body, head, and hooves. She also removed the band keeping her hair in a ponytail. For the first time in a long time, her hair fell down to her sides.
She grabbed the brush and began brushing her hair, trying to make it presentable. Her hair still was a mess, and she considered putting the band back on, but the knock on the door urged her to move on.
The voice that accompanied it surprised her, though.
“Are you...are you alright in there?”
It was Twilight.
War stood there for a moment, not knowing whether or not she should answer.
“Hello..?”
She sighed, and knew that she had to respond.
“...Yes..?”
“...Can I speak to you..?”
War hesitated. Twilight didn’t.
“It’s okay. As long as these guards stay here, it’s not like you’re violating the rules, right?”
That was true, but it didn’t make War feel any better.
“...okay...” she uttered.
She walked up to the door just as the guards opened it.
She found herself face-to-face with the pony she had been trying to kill.
Twilight wore a light smile on her face.
She spoke softly.
“Um...War?”
War was hesitant to respond.
“...Yeah..?”
“They told us you we’re coming, but I wanted to catch you before you came out in front of everypony. If I had done this in front of everyone, Rainbow Dash wouldn’t have let me get two words in.”
Wars heart sank.
“Rainbow Dash’s in the dining hall too?”
“Yes. We all are. That’s why I wanted to catch you before.”
Twilight paused for a moment.
“I never properly thanked you for saving us. Thank you. I’m sorry all this happened.”
War couldn’t believe it.
“Why are you thanking me? Your home was destroyed, your life shattered, and one of your friends was killed...why are you thanking me..?”
Twilight’s eyes drooped a bit at the mention of her dead friend, but she came back up quickly.
“You had the chance to leave. You could’ve ran and left us, but you didn’t. You came back and saved us. I just wanted to know that...if nopony else...I trust you...”
She trailed off. War didn’t know what to say, but she managed to get a few words out.
“Thank you, Twilight...you don’t know what that means to me...”
Twilight smiled, and nodded once.
“Well then, I guess I’ll be seeing you in a few minutes, then?”
War waited a moment, but nodded. Then she realized something.
“Oh, but Twilight. I don’t need to, remember..?”
Twilight looked puzzled.
“The magic you borrowed allows me to go without eating, resting, and sleeping. The only reason I slept tonight is because I was still recovering...”
She trailed off, as if she had lost the point.
Twilight didn’t seem fazed by it.
“That’s okay.”
“Does that mean you will refuse the invitation?”
The guard had interrupted them.
War thought for a moment.
This was her chance. She couldn’t let it slide. After all, just because she didn’t need to eat didn’t mean that she couldn’t. Either way, Celestia would no doubt want to talk to her.
War turned to the guard.
“I’ll accept the invitation.”
The guard nodded, and spoke briefly.
“Then allow me to escort you two to the dining hall.”
War nodded, and looked at Twilight, who only smiled lightly.
The guard led them down the hall, the other guard close behind. They walked in silence, allowing War to take in the intricate designs all over the walls. They were decorated, some with paintings, some with carvings that looked older than War, perhaps even older than Celestia. Many of them seemed to focus on the sun, surprising since this was the home of both princesses.
War’s observation was cut short when they stopped at two large double doors. They were intricately made, each taking the theme of sun and moon. They opened to a grand hall. It was long, and at its center was a long table filled with food. Celestia, her sister, Shining Armor, his wife, and the other Elements of Harmony were seated around it. Everypony look up when they entered. Most of the room was quiet. The only ones were visibly unhappy were Shining Armor and Rainbow Dash.
War kept close behind, almost cowering behind her. They walked to the two empty chairs to the right of the table. Twilight immediately began to take food for her breakfast, but War sat still, not daring to look at any of the ponies. No pony was moving, or even dared to breathe.
Twilight stopped eating as she realized that no one else was.
The tension was heavy enough to be cut with a knife.
Celestia was the first to speak.
“War?”
War looked up, trying to avoid her eyes.
“Now that you have settled, I was meaning to talk to you about your...former companions.”
War only nodded.
“Firstly, I would like to know, of all the ponies in Equestria, why did they try to kill Twilight?”
War remembered something. She had asked that very question long ago. Death usually scoffed questions off, but that was one question she didn’t mind answering. War answered with Death’s answer. She had memorized it word for word, as if it was a creed to live by.
“I was told that we were going after Twilight because, she is the biggest threat out of all of the Elements of Harmony. Killing one would break the Elements, but, of all of them, Twilight was the one who was most likely to stop us...them...”
She silently cursed herself for using us.
“Twilight is their leader, and I was also told that she has almost unlimited magical potential...”
Celestia only nodded, her eyes not daring to give away anything. War went silent, finishing her thought.
“What exactly are they planning?”
War was expecting this question, so she jumped into it.
“They want to take control of Equestria by bringing back...something...I don’t exactly know what...but I know it’s what gave all of us our powers, but we were never told exactly WHAT it is...”
Celestia nodded.
“Do you know the identities of the other heralds?”
“No. Only their titles. Famine, Pestilence, and Death.”
Celestia perked up at that, her solid demeanor disappearing for one second, replaced with a look of surprise. She quickly composed herself, but that moment chilled War.
Celestia went on, nonetheless.
“Do you know if these heralds have any weaknesses?”
War thought about it, but came up empty.
“No. They’d tear your soldiers apart. The only thing I could think of that could take them on is...”
“Myself?” Celestia added.
War thought about it, but then realized something.
“But wouldn’t that be what they want?”
Celestia’s eyebrow raised.
“These ponies are far more powerful than any other pony. If you fought them, you could take on one, but all three? It would be suicide.”
Celestia looked away, lost in thought.
“That would be what they wanted, right? Equestria leaderless.”
Celestia looked back, and asked, “So, then, what do you propose we do?”
This, War hadn’t expected.
“Um, well...”
Only one idea formed in War’s mind, but would she allow it?
“Well...firstly, not face them head on...face them one-on-one, but...”
“Well?” Celestia urged.
“...I was going to suggest...letting me fight them..?”
Everypony was silent, letting the question sink in.
Suddenly, Rainbow Dash seemed to decide that she had been quiet for far too long.
“NO! Never!”
Celestia looked at her, visibly furious for the first time that War had known her.
“Rainbow Dash!”
“Celestia, if you give her a sword, you’re just begging to get betrayed!”
“RAINBOW DASH! REMEMBER WHO YOU’RE SPEAKING TO!”
The room shook with Celestia’s use of the Royal Canterlot Voice. Her whole life, War had never heard of Celestia ever using the old method of speaking to her subjects.
Rainbow cowered, but her scowl persisted.
Celestia began to think, and turned to War.
“Your request is a very...interesting one, to say the least. Especially considering the rules I have set for you. I will, however, consider it.”
War only nodded.
“Now if you’ll excuse me, there are some matters I must attend to.”
Celestia stood, and began to walk out. War looked, and saw that Celestia hadn’t even touched her food.
Princess Luna also excused herself, no doubt to see why Celestia had left.
Once Luna was gone, Rainbow Dash turned to War, fury in her eyes.
“If you think you’re getting anywhere near that sword, you’re dead wrong. I’m shocked you can even SIT next to Twilight right now!”
“Alright, Rainbow Dash, that’s enough!” Twilight interrupted.
Rainbow Dash looked at her, shocked. Twilight was adamant.
“How can you defend her, Twilight? It’s because of her that Fluttershy’s dead!”
“No, it isn’t.”
“How can you say that?”
“Because she wasn’t the one who killed her. Death did.”
Rainbow Dash shook her head.
“I’ve always trusted you to be smart enough to know what side you’re on! Now, you choose to side with HER?”
Twilight scowled.
“And I thought you were supposed to be the Element of Loyalty! I thought you’d trust me that I know what I’m doing!”
“I AM being loyal! I’m being loyal to my friends! SHE is the one who wants you dead!”
“I DO NOT want her dead!”
War couldn’t remain silent any longer. She had stood up, all nervousness disappearing in her anger.
Rainbow Dash was caught off guard, but turned to War.
“SHUT UP! WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO SPEAK?” she yelled.
“I have just as much right as you do!”
“YOU HAVE KILLED AS MANY AS THEY HAVE!”
“You think I had a CHOICE?”
“YOU ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE!”
“SILENCE!!!”
The two of them stopped, as Cadance raised her voice. She didn’t use the Royal Cantarlot Voice, but it was surprising, nonetheless.
She was scowling, especially at Rainbow Dash.
“We are not going to get through this by arguing!”
Rainbow Dash sat down, but War didn’t.
“I’ll be excusing myself now.”
Twilight stood up.
“Wait, don’t let Rainbow Dash do this to you.”
War turned to her.
“It’s okay.”
Twilight’s mouth hung open, as if to argue. War only shook her head.
She turned and walked out of the room. War could feel Rainbow Dash’s eyes focused on her.
Once War had left the room, she wondered what to do next. Should she go out into Canterlot? What is there to do? What could she do?


Famine was growing impatient. She looked up at Death, who had not moved in hours. She had been seated, eyes closed, and breathing slowly.
Why are we waiting? she thought.
She turned to Pestilence. She had been wandering, surveying their work. Most of the buildings were burned to the ground. They were nothing but ashes. Pestilence didn’t give any building any real mind,
Famine was becoming impatient, however.
She turned to Death once more.
“Why are we waiting? War must’ve reached Canterlot by now.”
For a moment, Death sat still. Her eyes then slowly opened. She turned to Famine, and spoke.
“We didn’t follow them precisely because they arrived in Canterlot. We are powerful, but against the combined forces of the troops AND the princesses, we’d stand no chance at winning.”
Famine seemed dissatisfied with the answer.
“So then what are we waiting for?”
Death paused for a moment before answering.
“The master knew that we could not invade Canterlot alone. So he gave me this.”
Death closed her eyes. The air around her began to tremble. A cold wind swept through, chilling Famine to the bone, even through the magic protecting her.
Slowly, as if from the depths of the earth itself, a black form seeped out of the dirt and ashes in front of Death. The shape morphed and changed before Famine’s eyes, almost changing with the wind.
Finally, the form began to take shape, forming slowly into legs, then a body, then the head and tail.
The shape resembled a pony, but remained pitch black.
The head finished, and the form slowly opened its eyes, which were pure white, devoid of all life. It didn’t seem to breath, and stood completely still.
Famine stood back, not knowing what to do.
Slowly, she spoke, as if just her breath could blow the form away.
“What...is it?”
Death smiled.
“It is a shade. A creature born of the soul of a dead pony. Before, they were simply souls wasted. Now, they will be our soldiers.”
The shade still didn’t move, and its blank eyes making it unclear whether or not it stared at Famine or not.
“I will teach them never to cross me again.”
A chill ran down Famine’s spine. She knew the master had power, but this?
But the thing that chilled her the most was the fact that she said that they would never cross “ME”, not we...


War lay in her bed, looking at the floor, lost in thought. The only noise pervading in her room was from the record player she found in a cupboard when she came up after breakfast. Hooftoven’s Moonlight Sonata played. It had been a while since she had listened to any music, let alone anything so...calming.
It almost made her forget what had happened.
Almost.
War sighed. She didn’t know what to do. She hadn’t left her room since breakfast. As far as she could tell it was near noon.
Probably.
War had lost track of the time. She was sure that, if she could, she’d be asleep by now.
The lull of silence and music was oddly soothing.
Which made it all the more sudden when War heard the click of the door’s lock.
The door opened, and in stepped Princess Celestia, guards trailing her slightly.
She spoke in a level voice, and looked War directly in the eyes.
“War, I’d like to speak with you for a moment.”
War got out of bed and stood up, letting her hair fall.
She came up to Celestia, only reacher to her shoulders, making War feel small.
“I have considered your request, and, after thinking it over, I have decided to allow you to fight with us, should it come to that.”
War remained silent.
Celestia paused, but resumed.
“I hope you realize how much I am trusting you with this, War. This was not an easy decision to make. I suggest you don’t betray my trust.”
War only nodded.
“You have a chance here to prove to me whether you truly have changed.”
War remained silent.
For a moment, so was Celestia. But she still had something to say.
"In a few days, we are having a funeral for Fluttershy. If you would like to join us, you can."
With that, she turned and nodded to her guards, who followed her out.
War, looked down, breathing for the first time in what felt like hours.
Should she go? Did she have the right to?
She couldn't think now, especially with the voice that suddenly interrupted her thoughts.
“I was only going to speak with her...no, I don’t need a guard.”
War’s ears pricked at the sound of Shining Armor’s voice.
He entered the room, and held his gaze to War.
“I’d like to have a chat with you, if you don’t mind.”
War didn’t get the chance to object.
“I am the captain of the royal guard. Do you know what that means?”
Shining Armor took a step forward, almost face-to-face with War.
“That means it is my duty to protect the people of Canterlot. But it is also my duty to protect those closest to me.”
With each word, he inched closer and closer.
“So, you listen here, because I will only say this once!”
The closer he got, the more rage clouded his eyes.
“If you hurt my sister, if I catch you trying to hurt her, if you even make me THINK that you’re trying to hurt her, I will end you, and I don’t care what Celestia says. I will END YOU!”
War had sunk down to her knees, and Shining Armor was so close, they were almost touching.
“Do you understand?”
War nodded.
Shining Armor stood up tall, turned, and left, not looking back.
War couldn’t move.
She may have gained the trust of Celestia, but War knew that this fight had only begun.