• Published 29th Jun 2012
  • 1,883 Views, 23 Comments

The Rainbow Grows - TheRainbowDashShow



Some pony tries to tear Applejack and Rainbow Dash apart from one another.

  • ...
4
 23
 1,883

Chapter 10

The cold air rushed against her flowing rainbow mane, the frozen lake climbing towards her as gravity pushed her down. Her eyes closed as she attempted to come to terms with the inevitable fate that drew nearer. She had done everything she could, just so she would be able to save the crying mare that clung to her back. The fall seemed to be lasting forever; her mind had over clocked itself, trying to squeeze every last possible moment of its existence.

Rainbow Dash let her mind wander; she wanted her last thoughts to be joyful. The memory of when she performed the Sonic Rainboom and then her cutie mark had appeared. A flashback of when she had first met Applejack and how simple it had been back then, no confusing emotions or fears. Just the two of them, playing, laughing, even their fights as fillies made her laugh a little. Her mind relished in the sweet memories that embraced her.

But her mind couldn't stay on topic of the past; it soon wanted to focus on the future. Everything it could have been, everything she had wanted, her life as it should have been. There were so many things she still wanted to do, things she should have done, and so many hopes for what could have come. She still had so much to say, so much to learn, so much to see. The warm solace in her memories was soon replaced with regret, the ice below them so close now.

One last fantasy popped into her head, one she had been looking forward to for so long. Her first Heart Warming's eve with Applejack would now never happen. She would never give Applejack the anklet she had worked so hard to obtain for her. Tears flooded her eyes; this would be her last moments with her beautiful orange farm pony.

The time she had spent with Applejack no longer seemed like it had been enough. Soon they would be parted eternally, it felt unfair, but that didn't matter anymore. All she could do now was prepare herself for whatever came next, and be thankful for every last second she had been given with her love.

She would still give Applejack the chance to do everything she never could. Hoping Applejack would keep on living, one day she would laugh again, say the things she had always meant to, more than all, she hoped she would take the world for all it had, and that she would be happy, and be safe.

"With my death, Applejack can keep on going." Rainbow Dash thought to herself, the word death bouncing in her mind. She no longer regretted everything, her every action, thought, and emotion; even though this was the path it lead down to in the end, she had still shared so much with the world.

Everything she had done, in some way, had been meaningful. Every scrape, tear, and frown, every laugh, smile, hug, every last action she once thought had been so insignificant, now seemed to be what had really mattered most.

Ultimately, no matter how small an impact she actually had, she was loved, and had been loved, that was what made her life so perfect, despite all its flaws, her life had truly been spectacular. Her eyes dried as all her thoughts washed away, her mind became clear and serene. The solid lake was just meters beneath them now. She was ready now; she finally accepted that this was the end.

Rainbow Dash's hushed mind was finally silent enough for her to take notice of something. It was an old familiar feeling that felt as if she had long forgotten it. It was something she had always known was there, somewhere in the back of her mind, it had always been there, but recently it had been silenced, scratching at her as it tried to escape.

Now she recognized it for what it was, this feeling that she finally caught on to. She concentrated on it, pushing at it, until finally, it broke free. Electricity surged through her spine as she focused on it, barraging her every muscle. Her legs started to curl into her. She pressed the energy harder, suddenly bursting through its final barriers.

Both of Rainbow Dash's wings sparked to life, extending outward, catching the air as it flowed towards them, and slowing her descent. She thrust her weight back up towards the sky, her knees scraping on the ice before lifting away.

The remaining muscles in her wing had atrophied, and were unable to sustain the flight. Her wing wobbled, and then clamped back shut as the weight pressed down on it. Rainbow Dash began to descend once again, crashing into the cold hard snow next to the lake.

Applejack hopped up to her hooves, and ran to check on the Pegasus that was lying in the snow. Her ears were ringing; the rapid fall had mercilessly attacked her ear drums, preventing her from hearing for a short duration.

"Rainbow? Are yah alright?" she yelled. Rainbow Dash did not answer. Applejack shook the Pegasus, still not receiving any response, but she could see she was still breathing. "Rainbow?" her voice was soft and frightened. As tears began to fill her eyes, afraid of what might be wrong now, when the silence broke.

Rainbow Dash giggled quietly, a goofy smile spread across her face. The itch was gone, that need, the craving, it had vanished as she freely moved her exhausted wing about. Her giggles grew louder, the event putting her body into a state of pure ecstasy. Applejack's heart flutter as she watched, she had never seen Rainbow Dash like this before. "I-I flew!" Rainbow giggled her words delightfully, her eyes glowing with joy.