• Published 29th Jun 2012
  • 4,476 Views, 96 Comments

Revenant - Zimprus Nalune



A strange changeling wakes up in a forest.

  • ...
12
 96
 4,476

Journey (Pt 2)

I felt a gentle nudging on my shoulder, which immediately ruined my peaceful sleep and woke me up. I felt incredibly drowsy, and drained as well. It was like I had fought Parasite all over again, by myself.

I groaned and sat up, rubbing my eyes slowly. I let out a huge yawn, shook my head to try and wake myself up some more, then looked around for whatever had decided to wake me up.

“Oh, you’re awake...” a soft voice said directly above me.

I looked up to see Fluttershy hovering over me, smiling gently. I gave her the best glare I could, getting her to flinch slightly.

“What do you want?” I asked, sounding as irritated as I could manage.

“Oh, I just wanted to let you know, since you were sleeping and all, that my friends are going to be trying some different spells, and, um, well, it might be just a little bit loud soon.”

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. “Typical unicorns, always so loud and proud.”

Fluttershy’s eyes narrowed. “Hey, watch it. Twilight and Pyrite are my friends. You had better be nice to them.”

I blinked in surprise as the pegasus fluttered away, missing my chance for a rebuttal. She had a bit more backbone than I thought she did.

I looked back down to see Trixie sound asleep, laying on her side and breathing gently. I poked her side a few times, watching as she jolted to awareness. Her head lifted up, and for a moment, twin amethyst eyes stared into mine, a bizarre look in them. Trixie seemed... different.

The moment ended, and the unicorn looked back at the ground, pulling herself up and rubbing an eye tiredly.

“It looks like we might have some entertainment this morning,” I said casually, gesturing over to where Twilight, Pyrite, and their little group were setting up.

Everyling was clustered around Pyrite, who was dressed in a black longcoat and fedora. She and Twilight seemed to be arguing quietly about something, with Twilight eventually sighing and nodding in submission. Everyling watched intently as the purple mare’s horn lit up and she began to trace something in the air with it.

“What’s she doing?” Trixie asked quietly. I shrugged in response.

As I watched more closely, whatever Twilight had been tracing began to flicker into existence, bizarre symbols arrayed in a circle, burning with purple fire. Unable to make out the symbols, I got up and walked closer to the group, a small ache in my head rapidly growing as I began to make out the characters.

“Ahzid ah...” I whispered to myself, the words coming from nowhere. “Lun al... brendon do key... nahkriin... nir... kinbok.”

No sooner than I finished speaking, the circle of runes flashed, spinning rapidly as three more circles of runes, ones I couldn’t quite catch, appeared on Pyrite’s coat and fedora. The circle Twilight had drawn broke, each rune flying to join the others on Pyrite’s clothing. When the runes formed a fourth circle on the coat and fedora, Pyrite threw her head back, her entire body shining with a blinding light.

I winced and covered my eyes, waiting until the light faded before looking again. When I did, I gaped at the pony that stood in Pyrite’s place.

A pale coat, tinged very slightly amber, was mostly hidden by the longcoat and hat. Dull blue eyes replaced the previous sapphire brilliance, and the pony’s expression was completely unreadable.

I blinked once more, trying to understand what had happened. Not-Pyrite turned her head very slowly to look at me, and as I watched, the space around her seemed to fold over her, erasing her from existence. I took a step backwards, suddenly bumping into someling. I turned, then almost had a heart attack as I came face-to-face with Not-Pyrite.

“My name is Brass Vision,” the pony said flatly. “You are a changeling.”

I blinked in surprise. Things had gotten very bad, very quickly.

“No I’m not,” I said as calmly as I could. I looked past ‘Brass Vision’ at Trixie, giving her a look that I hoped said ‘help me’.

Trixie’s eyes widened, the mare looking at me with a blank stare. I glared, making her gulp and nod quickly. She walked up behind Brass, clearing her throat as loudly as she could.

“She’s not a changeling,” Trixie said. “I swear.”

Brass turned slowly, deliberately. She ran her gaze over Trixie a few times, then spoke.

“Have you been in contact with any changelings recently?” she asked, getting a hesitant nod in return. “I see. I trust it was not a friendly interaction?”

Trixie shook her head.

“Very well.”

The space around Brass folded over her again, and she reappeared over by Twilight. I let out a sigh in relief.

“That was too close,” I said. “Good... good work Trixie.”

The mare smiled briefly at the compliment, then stopped and lowered her head. “Rule number one...” she said sadly.

I grinned. “Yes it is.” I patted the unicorn on the head, then turned my attention back to Twilight’s group.

They seemed excited, happy over their success that seemed to wipe away the sorrow of last night. I rolled my eyes and snorted in annoyance. I turned towards the dirt path we had followed to the lake and began walking back towards the main road, gesturing for Trixie to follow me.

“Come on,” I said. “We’re leaving before they get enough brains to figure out I really am a changeling.”

Trixie nodded silently, falling behind me as we made our way away from the wakening survivors of Ponyville. The sun was just beginning to rise, lighting up the world in preparation for the rest of our journey.

***

Trixie and I set a brisk pace, trying to get away from the Ponyvillians as quickly as we could. As the lake became further and further behind us, the grass became uncontrolled once more, setting the scenery for what would probably be a long time.

The two of us were silent. I was concentrated on simply getting to Manehattan as quickly as possible, while Trixie had her eyes glued to the ground, probably lost in thought. The quiet quickly became boring, and I decided to break it.

“So Trixie,” I started, sounding as casual as I could. “You know anything about Manehattan?”

“I...” she replied, uncertainty audible. “I think it’s a city...”

“Uh huh.” I rolled my eyes. “Anything else?”

“There’s... a schoolhouse...”

“Is it called anything?”

“...I... I don’t remember...”

That got my interest.

“What do you mean?”I asked. “Did you live in Manehattan before?”

I heard Trixie’s hoofsteps stop suddenly. I turned to see the mare standing in place, looking at me with wide eyes. I walked back up to her and raised an eyebrow.

“Well?”

“The... the school’s called ‘Shining Star Elementary’.”

“Well that’s a stupid name.”

Trixie ignored me, continuing to stare ahead as she talked.

“It was run by Ms... Ms...”

I sighed aggravatedly and gave Trixie a light slap on the cheek. She blinked, then shook her head, looking at me for a moment before dropping her eyes to the ground.

“I’m sorry.”

“Next time, I’ll just leave you standing there like the idiot you are,” I snarled, turning around and continuing along the road.

Trixie was silent for a while as she fell in line behind me. Eventually, I heard a sniffle or two, her hoofsteps faltering every now and then. I ignored her for the most part, but as I heard her start to fall behind, I growled to myself, irritation mounting.

A sudden yelp from behind finally pushed me over the edge. I wheeled around, seeing Trixie sprawled in the dirt, tears flowing down face. I went up to her, standing over her and shapeshifting out of my disguise in case I needed to force her to get up.

“Can’t you even walk straight?” I asked, glaring down at the mare.

“I’msorryI’msorryI’msorry,” she whispered shakily. “I tripped.”

“Over what? There’s nothing here to trip you except your own four hooves.”

“I-”

“Oh save it,” I cut Trixie off. “You really are useless, you know that?”

The unicorn in front of me flinched, sinking back towards the ground as I stepped closer to her. Tears shimmered on her face, washing away dirt and dust she had gotten from falling. A small cut was present in her cheek. She looked ready to break down and cry openly.

“You have no idea how much I’ve lost,” I continued. “I’ve done nothing but sacrifice to get us here, and what have you sacrificed?” I pressed my head to Trixie’s, eyes inches apart, our horns grating together.

“Nothing. Zero.” I dropped my voice to a whisper. “You know what you are? Selfish. All you’ve been is dead weight. A spineless, useless coward that I wasted my time saving. Tantrums and cowering, that’s all you’ve been since we met.”

“I’m sorry,” she squeaked.

“Sorry won’t cut it any more.”

The world faded.

***

This time, I didn’t hesitate for a moment.

As soon as Trixie appeared in front of me, I lunged at her, fangs bared. She didn’t have any time to react as I bit down viciously on her neck. Instead of blood, a blackened burst of rainbow shot out from where my fangs tore into her body.

Trixie screamed, and I felt myself being thrown away from her. I managed to land on my hooves, preparing for another charge. Trixie simply stood where she was, dark rainbows spurting from her wound, her mouth wide open.

I hissed lowly, forming a blade around my horn. I briefly wondered why I was using magic if none of this was real, but I decided that wasn’t important right now. Instead, I charged at Trixie, aiming to impale her.

The unicorn’s horn lit up, brightly colored explosions erupting in front of me. The explosions tossed sparks into the air, which hovered for a moment, then all flew at me. I was forced to dodge away from Trixie, letting my blade fade away for the moment. The sparks impacted where I had been standing, more explosions erupting from where they struck.

I looked at Trixie, whose eyes seemed to have glazed over. Her entire body seemed to be... melting. Her mouth still hung open, giving her a twisted, horrible appearance. The wound on her neck still spurted, though now the dark rainbow had turned to black ooze.

I hesitated for a moment, slightly off-put. Trixie took advantage of this and quickly created more explosions, and more sparks. But instead of chasing me, the sparks flung themselves against the ground, exploding again and creating even more sparks. My eyes widened as I watched what had been a dozen sparks multiply over and over, eventually becoming so numerous that no matter where I looked, there was a colored spark, ready to kill me, or worse.

I was the prey.

A splitting pain erupted in my head. I hissed and fell, my eyes clamping shut as the pain pulsed. I watched as images of Parasite, of his lair, of my fight with him...

… of his shield.

My eyes snapped open. I gathered up the magic I needed. I watched as the sparks began to fall. I lifted myself up, glaring at the descending wall of sparks defiantly, casting the shield spell that had suddenly come to me.

A bright green dome spread over me, coloring the outside mind-world a similar green. The wall of sparks slammed into the shield, and I gasped in shock as I felt each impact drain my energy a tiny bit.

When the sparks finally stopped falling, I felt completely out of breath. I released the shield, staggering as the strain of protecting myself faded with it. I wondered how powerful Parasite must have really been to keep that shield up as large and long as he did.

The twisted Trixie gurgled, and I knew I didn’t have much time until she attacked. Throwing away every shred of caution, I rushed her, buzzing into the air and streaking towards her as green magic enveloped my body, turning me into a living comet.

Trixie’s horn lit up, but she was too late.

I made contact with the deformed Trixie, barely feeling resistance as I ripped through her body, black and blue ooze erupting everywhere. Slowing down and turning around, I saw a brightly glowing orb where Trixie had been. Setting down, I went up to it and looked it over.

The orb was a bright blue, like Trixie’s hair. But underneath the surface, there was a perforated layer of black, oily liquid, through which shone a dim light. With one more disgusted look, I created a magical blade, then sliced cleanly down the center of the orb, which immediately burst into fragments that disappeared into nothingness, wiping out the mind-world with them.

***

It was still incredibly disorienting to wake up controlling two bodies at the same time. I quickly forced the eyes of both bodies shut, not wanting to deal with any more senses than I could handle. At the moment, even standing was a huge problem.

Trixie’s body had its own balance that, while somewhat familiar, was still strange to me. I struggled to keep both my body and hers upright. Each time I got one to stand, the other would begin to fall. It was difficult trying to keep track of two different balances, much more difficult than creating my breaching spell. The two spells didn’t want to go together, but it felt like I couldn’t go together with Trixie’s body, like it and whatever was left of her were trying to drive me out.

I growled, the noise coming from both throats, heard with both sets of ears, breath smelt with two noses. The double sensory input completely destroyed my concentration, and as hard as I tried, both bodies fell to the ground.

I managed to pull both bodies back to their hooves, but I no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get them to stand up together. When they both fell back to the ground, I decided to simply let them sit there. The Voice would help me. She always did.

And so I waited.

And waited.

...Nothing.

Not even a whisper.

A feeling of panic crept into me as more and more time passed, the complete silence of the world becoming extremely uncomfortable. There was no guiding voice, no mysterious figure, no strange directions followed by incredibly strong instinct.

Closing both body’s eyes, I let their heads hang, but even the double action didn’t give what I was feeling justice. I was completely alone, without any help.

I pushed my thoughts to the side, trying to focus once more on getting up and moving on. I would have time to sulk later. As it was, all I was doing was waiting for all of Ponyville to catch up to me. I knew what would happen if they killed Trixie’s body, but I didn’t want to find out what would happen if they killed mine.

I focused on Trixie’s body, getting another feel for her balance before I tried getting up again. I took a pair of deep breaths, then began my attempt.

First, I drew right foreleg up, pushing both bodies off the ground. They moved easily enough, though Trixie’s was more jerky.

Next, left foreleg. Again, it wasn’t so hard, but I found it increasingly difficult to direct the motions of two bodies simultaneously. Trixie’s body seemed to be getting less and less responsive, drawing too much of my attention.

Right hind leg. I could feel the balances slipping, and I pushed to keep them in line.

Finally, the left hind leg. Instead of drawing them up, I pushed off the ground quickly with the legs, almost destroying the balance, but still managing to get both bodies to stand up straight.

Two loud sighs of relief came from the bodies I was holding up. I looked out on the road ahead with two pairs of eyes. It was straight as a rod. It would be perfect for trying to walk...

...No.

I closed four eyes and took two deep, calming breaths.

“Okay Revenant,” I said to myself, the sentence sounding odd when it was said with two voices and heard with two sets of ears. A slight ache was felt from my body’s head, but I ignored it. “Sometimes, you have to run before you can walk.”

Opening four eyes, I looked at the road again.

Then, without thinking or hesitation, I ran.

***

For whatever reason, running was so much easier.

Both my body and Trixie’s moved in perfect sync. The same speed, same movements, everything. It was like they were twins.

A pair of sharp, harsh laughs came at my will. Trixie’s body was resisting me less and less, feeling more and more natural. My body was still clearly my original body, but Trixie’s was beginning to feel like an extension, one I was aware of, but didn’t need to focus on to control.

The sun was high in the sky, signaling midday. I slowed both bodies to a walk, wanting to savor my accomplishment. I was in no rush to go anywhere, so there was no need to run anymore.

A small glint out of the corner of Trixie’s eye caught my attention. I turned both heads to see what it was, but there was nothing besides the light reflecting off the carapace underneath my wings, slightly blinding my second set of eyes.

I shrugged with both bodies and turned their eyes back to the road ahead. Feeling confident, I made Trixie’s body move a bit faster, getting it out in front of my body just enough to stop the reflected sunlight from catching its eye. Satisfied, I allowed myself to savor the sun just a little more.

Then it hit me.

I hadn’t shapeshifted back yet.

Rolling two sets of eyes and smacking myself in the head with two hooves for forgetting something so simple. I brought the image of ‘Jade Feather’ to mind once again-

“ROYAL GUARD OF EQUESTRIA! DON’T MOVE!”

Oh no.

I looked up with two pairs of eyes, watching four pegasi in bright golden armor dive from the sky. The loud clanking of metal against the ground signaled another two earth ponies armed with spears and a single unicorn. The group of seven ponies surrounded me, ready to attack at the slightest movement.

“Lieutenant, sir, look,” one pegasus said. “She’s under its control. They’re moving in complete sync.”

“We got lucky,” one of the earth ponies said, looking at Trixie’s body intently. “ Eye are tinged green around the irises. She’s in the first stages. We can still save her.”

“So I see, corporal.” The unicorn nodded in the earth pony’s direction. “Good call. Let’s see if the changeling won’t release her willingly. I’d rather not use force.”

The unicorn switched his attention to me, glaring harshly. From the way the others acted, and by the fact he seemed to have extra armor on, he was the leader. He walked up to Trixie’s body, looking it, and me, right in the eyes.

“I’m giving you one chance, changeling,” he said loudly. “Release this poor mare from your grasp, and maybe we’ll let you go.”

“Fat chance,” I spat back at him. His head twitched towards my body, being spoken to by two beings at the same time obviously unnerving.

“What’s going on, sir?” another pegasus asked. “We’ve only seen this with a few Drones, never with Elites.”

“Filthy bug must know more magic,” another answered, but an earth pony shook his head.

“No, I read the briefs. Certain changelings have certain abilities. The only ones... who... can...” The pony trailed off, his eyes widening as he realized something, probably horrifying, if his reaction was any clue.

The rest of the Royal Guardsponies recoiled away from my body, all of them giving it looks of awe, fear, and horror.

“By Faust...” the unicorn whispered. “It’s him!”

“Then that means that Commander wasn’t kidding...” an earth pony said gravely. “Ponyville really is...”

“Gone,” I interrupted, grinning. “Wiped off the map.”

At my words, the Guardsponies regained their composure, anger clearly present on their faces. The unicorn’s horn lit up bright yellow, then quickly shot off a bolt that impacted Trixie’s body between the eyes, sending it to the ground.

As the bolt hit, I felt myself being ripped out of Trixie’s body, her senses fading away in the blink of an eye. I was forced back into my own body, a stinging sensation at the base of my horn following immediately. My vision blurred and shifted, and the ponies’ next few words were lost to my muffled hearing.

I hissed and closed my eyes, waiting until the throbbing went away before opening them again. The unicorn that had performed the spell on Trixie was smirking, his horn still aglow.

“You changeling Commanders aren’t so tough, are you?” he asked, getting a few chuckles from his subordinates. “And here I was, thinking you were going to be a nightmare to put down. You’re going to die like the rest of your kind.”

A weak moan next to me distracted the unicorn. The rest of the Guardsponies kept their attention on me while he shifted over to Trixie, who had fallen to the ground. gently placing a hoof on her shoulder.

“Miss, are you alright?” he asked, getting a startled gasp in reply. “This changeling had you under his influence. But you’re safe now. The Royal Guard is here to help.”

Trixie stood up, looking a the Guard uncertainly. She then looked to me, fear plainly visible. I gave her a firm look, not trying to scare her or enforce my rules. The unicorn helped her to her hooves, having her stand behind the other Guardsponies.

“Now,” the unicorn said, turning back to me. “Your time is up, insect.”

Our eyes met, neither of us blinking. I knew these guards wouldn’t be pushovers, and I would have to be on my guard. I wasn’t entirely sure I could take them all on my own...

“Trixie Lulamoon,” I said loudly, getting the mare’s attention, and a flinch.

“Revenant?”

I broke eye contact with the unicorn, looking past his subordinates, directly to her.

“It’s your choice to side with these ponies or me,” I told her. “If you think they can kill me, then side with them and have your freedom. If you know that I’m better than all of them, then help me, and you will have proven your worth, loyalty, and... courage.”

“I...” she began.

“It’s all lies, miss,” the pegasus next to her assured, placing a hoof on her shoulder. “He’s a changeling, they’re all betrayers and liars.”

I hissed. “You don’t know anything about betrayal.”

The unicorn in front of me planted his hooves wide apart, getting ready to fight me.

“Enough talk, murderer,” he spat. “You’re going to pay for what your kind did to Ponyville, and to Canterlot two years ago.”

I began focusing my magic, my horn lighting up green.

“Idiot,” I said, my wings buzzing. “You’re on the wrong end of this. You’re just prey.”

I glanced over to Trixie, who had a single tear rolling down her cheek. I could just barely make out what she was saying.

“Celestia... Luna... forgive me.” she whispered, her horn lighting up pink.

And with that, everyling sprang into action.

The unicorn in front of me fired several magical bolts at me, but they all missed as I flew into the air. Three pegasi lept into the sky after me.

The fourth was distracted as Trixie’s horn was encased in a magical blade, and as she quickly turned, jumped back, and brought her head down, she cut open a wide gash in the guard’s armor and severed his leg at the shoulder. His armor melted on contact, and his flesh was burnt away even past the severed limb. He fell to the ground, screaming in agony.

Six ponies left.

The three pegasi that were left circled around me. I focused my magic into a beam that blasted out at one, but just missed him. Keeping the beam up, I swept it into the path of the next pegasus, melting the armor on his back and burning off his tail. With the molten metal flowing down his body and quickly cooling, his wings were quickly locked in place. He fell the the ground like a rock.

Five.

The other two pegasi stopped circling me, seeing how bad of an idea that was. Instead, they just charged me, beginning a series of strikes that was slow to them, but combined, was fast enough that all I could do was use my superior agility to avoid or block.

I growled to myself. I couldn’t find an opening with these pegasi, they were just too fast. Getting an idea, I stopped my wings, instantly dropping out of the sky. I turned quickly so that I was falling head first, a spark of magic creating a protective cone around me as I streaked towards the ground.

Trixie was holding the two earth ponies at a stalemate, her magical blade having already broken one of their spears. However, she couldn’t get any closer without opening herself up to a counterattack.

The leader of the guards had turned his attention away from me and was circling Trixie, attempting to attack her from behind. I was too close to the ground to angle myself towards him, so I instead angled towards the spearless earth pony.

The guards didn’t notice me at all, and I crashed into him without interference. I heard a loud cracking, followed by the earth pony yelling in pain. I quickly became aware of the heat of molten armor clinging to my chitin, and I jumped away from the guard before I burned myself.

Four left.

The other earth pony was distracted by my crash-landing, and Trixie used that opportunity to slice his spear in half. He looked down in surprise at his stump of a weapon for a split second, before I leapt at him, punching him across the face and clamping my fangs down on his exposed neck. The guard yelled for a split second, then gritted his teeth and started slamming his armor-clad hooves against my head. Hard.

The first hit hurt.

The second made me loosen my grip.

Three... I felt a dull ache in my head...

Four...

I let go, falling to the ground on the edge of unconsciousness. My vision was blurred, and I could just make out an earth pony...

...no...pegasus...?

...when... when did it become nighttime...?

When did dirt become sand...?

The... pegasus... reared up, his hooves high in the air...

A sudden jolt ran through my body.

Not again.

NEVER. AGAIN.

The night vanished, back to day. The pegasus vanished, now an earth pony. The sand became dirt once more. I lunged at the guard, latching onto his throat. Bright red blood spurted from where I bit in, and I could taste his blood in my mouth. The pony gurgled for a second, then collapsed to the ground.

I let go of the pony’s throat, panting heavily. Trixie gaped at me in horror, the unicorn behind her doing the same. I hissed and started to walk towards him, feeling my entire body tremble with a strange excitement.

I heard the flapping of wings, then quickly rolled to the side to dodge the pegasus guard that slammed hooves-first into the ground, his face twisted with rage. Snorting with irritation, I tackled him to the ground, then fired a bolt of magic point-blank into his face. He didn’t even get a chance to cry out.

One.

I turned back to the unicorn Guardspony, who had taken advantage of his comrade’s death and was now engaged in a duel with Trixie. Bolts flew back and forth, neither pony staying still long enough to be hit. Trixie was on the defensive mostly, a burn on her shoulder showing where the unicorn had caught her off guard.

I watched as the two continued to battle each other, wanting to see if Trixie would get herself killed or not. The guard stopped firing for a moment, then let off a burst of tiny bolts that was impossible for Trixie to dodge. She dropped to the ground, covering her hooves as the miniature bolts mostly flew over her, but still suffered several small burns along her back.

The guard looked down at her regretfully, then closed his eyes as his horn’s glow increased in intensity. Realizing what he was going to do, I ran towards Trixie, preparing my own magic in preparation to fend off the beam that the guard was about to fire.

I leapt in front of Trixie, hissing the Royal Guard. He opened his eyes, looking shocked, but quickly switched to a look of hatred.

“You two have killed enough!” he shouted, rearing up. “By Celestia’s Sun, I will not let you kill any more!”

I hissed loudly before responding. “Go to Tartarus! I’ll send you there myself!”

With that, the unicorn brought his hooves down, firing a massive yellow beam of magic. I fired my own green beam, and the two rushed towards each other, meeting and clashing together in between us.

I pushed as hard as I could, forcing more and more magic into my attack in order to overwhelm to guard, who remained still even as the clashing beams of magic slowly inched towards him. I grinned as victory inched closer and closer.

Just as it seemed like I was going to obliterate the guard, I felt a massive push force my attack away from the guard. His yellow beam slowly forced away my green one, gaining speed as it repulsed my attack and my magic reserves began to run out.

I panicked as the clashing center of our attacks moved towards me, putting every last bit of magic I could muster into pushing back the unicorn’s beam. I managed to force us into a stalemate, but it would only last as long as I could keep my attack going.

I felt a warm body press against mine.

I felt a horn tip touch my own.

A sudden burst of magic joined mine, and I watched wide-eyed as a pink beam of magic intertwined with mine. The two curled around one another, forming a spiral of magic that pulsed once, twice.

Then flew towards the guard, completely overpowering him.

The pink-green spiral expanded as it reached the guard, flowing around his body until Trixie and I stopped the flow of magic.

In the guard’s place was a pile of ashes and molten metal.

I let out a sigh of relief and dropped to the ground, Trixie sitting down next to me. I waited for a moment, then turned to her.

“Trixie...” I said. “Thank-”

I was interrupted by the mare throwing her hooves around my neck and squeezing with all her strength.

“Revenant,” she said softly. “I’m so sorry.”

I blinked.

“What for?” I asked, completely confused. “For once, you-”

“I saw it all.”

I froze as Trixie pulled back, tears in her eyes. She looked at me strangely, without fear, without her weak hatred, without mindless submission.

It was a look of pity.

“Pyrite, Parasite, Ponyville,” she said, her voice shaking. “I saw what you saw, felt what you felt. Everything up until just now.”

“How...?” I asked, stunned.

“I don’t know. But I know why you hate me so much, why you are who you are.”

Trixie pulled me into another hug, and I felt a few tears run down my back. I tasted something bitter in my mouth, and just the slightest bit of being fed. I didn’t know how to respond.

Trixie pulled away slowly, wiping her eyes and motioning towards the road.

“Come on, Revenant.”

I looked around at the bodies of the Royal Guards littered around us. With a small snarl, I nodded, getting up with Trixie and leaving the remains behind us. With a flash, I shapeshifted back into Jade Feather.

“Manehattan, here we come.”