• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 817 Views, 16 Comments

North Wind: Earning your Cutie Mark - BlackBonitaCherry



Just because she was a pegasus didn't mean she wanted to be like all the others of her tribe especially when it came to earning her cutie mark. But just because you want a cutie mark in a certain field didn't mean you get the cutie mark you wanted.

  • ...
2
 16
 817

Chapter 17: Dragons in Fillydelphia

“What is going on here?” rosette eyes looked over the scene, muzzle pulled into a frown, her publisher just a step behind her with a mortified expression.

“Miss Yearling!” the resort manager, who’d been staring at the train wreck in horror, “I do apologize about this, but these guests were just leaving,” he gestured at the family, the parents watching their daughter and doing nothing.

Bow Hothoof cleared his throat, looking a bit taken aback

“We were just looking for our other daughter and suspected her to be this one,” he gestured at the Golden filly who was now hiding behind Fluttershy, the latter still glowering at a frozen Rainbow Dash.

Yearling glanced at the filly, raising an eyebrow before turning back to the stallion.

“Excuse me for asking, but your other daughter wouldn’t happen to be a pegasus filly?” the pointed question made him flush.

“Yes, but we figured she would use a disguise,” Rainbow managed to free herself from whatever Fluttershy did and huffed, glaring at her friend, or at least, who she thought was her friend.

“Look, I do not know how, but that filly has to be North, those are her eyes,” she pointed a wavering hoof at the blue eyes that disappeared as the younger filly shrunk against her friend.

Fluttershy narrowed her own blue orbs.

“How would you know? You haven’t looked her in the eyes properly since she was five,” Rainbow Dash flinched, looking stricken, and Windy Whistles stepped in, not liking the expression on her daughter’s face.

“I think that is quite enough out of you Fluttershy, I’m disappointed that such a nice filly like you would say such a thing,” Fluttershy opened her mouth, but was beat to it by Amethyst entering the lobby, a stern expression and a glare that became even darker when she spotted Bow Hothoof.

“Get those three out,” Bow Hothoof looked at her with wide eyes,

“A-amethyst? Wait, what-” the Earth Pony looked away, dismissing him and raising a hoof to the security ponies approaching them.

“Get them out please, they’ve been harassing our trainees about a daughter they claim is missing, yet strangely, there are no missing flyers posted,” she then turned to the parents and narrowed her eyes, “Tell me, did you start looking for her before or after your precious Wind Scar asked you to, I see you’re ever his loyal servants,” Bow Hothoof bristled face turning red.

“Do not talk about him like that, you have no idea-” the security ponies grabbed the two adults, while one stood next to Rainbow Dash who was still staring at Fluttershy with a lost lock that was ignored, the other filly turning and heading deeper into the hotel with the golden filly pressed against her side.

“I know exactly what and who he is, and it is disgusting how you refuse to see it,” Windy Whistles was being dragged away, but she gritted her teeth, glaring at the mare insulting her family.

“You do not understand, if she’s not found, lives could be lost, we’re trying to prevent that,” but there was no sympathy in those eyes.

Only disdain.

“Did he tell you that as well?” she asked in a mocking tone, “Or did you actually think of it yourself?” the winged mare turned red, and Yearling chose this time to add her own two cents.

“Makes one wonder why a filly would need to run away from her family, or why they would assume she would disguise herself. Brings up certain questions, no?” she looked at the rainbow maned filly who had finally turned to see that her parents were being pulled away, “Rainbow Dash, correct?” the filly jumped, turning to her as the author tilted her head, seeing the tip missing from one of the ears, “Do you feel safe to return home with your parents, or do you need to stay with a friend?” the lost look disappeared to be replaced with indignation.

“What is that supposed to mean? My parents haven’t done anything,” and she stomped off, muttering about stupid authors.

Her publisher twitched but she gave her a look before going to Amethyst who was still glowering after the couple.

“I don’t suppose you can tell me if you know anything about North Wind’s whereabouts?” the mare gave her a searching look.

“I do not know the filly myself so I cannot tell you, sorry,” the pegasus scoffed.

“Right, just curious since I did not see my number one fan last night, she always appeared at my book signings, and I was hoping to give her a personal copy. This new book was based off of something she suggested after all,” her words made those in earshot gasp, and Amethyst looked taken aback herself.

“Well I’m sure wherever she is, the filly would be delighted. Now if you excuse me, I have to make sure my trainee is alright, and then give a severe reprimand to the other ones for telling tales,” her eyes cut to the second pegasus in her group who blanched, the unicorn looking uneasy while the Earth colt rolled his eyes at them and trotted away, no doubt back to his own hotel room.

Yearling shrugged and went to check out, thinking about something as she and her publisher went out the hotel with their luggage.

“We’re going to Canterlot,” was her announcement, before they boarded the air ship, her publisher nodded.

“Right.”

-------------------------

As soon as they shut the hotel door, ‘Golden’ pounced on Fluttershy, hooves around her neck and sending them both to the floor giggling.

“It’s so great to see you again Fluttershy,” Fluttershy smiled, returning the hug, before hissing and a small growling got their attention.

“Oh!” her runespoor barely avoided being crushed while her other animal friend’s long ears were pinned back against its skull, its razor-sharp teeth bared at the strange filly, still growling.

“Ooh, sorry, have you named them yet Fluttershy?” before she could answer, there was a knock on the door before Amethyst entered.

She stared at them with a deadpan look.

“Alright, whose this and where’s the other ‘Golden’?” they gave her sheepish looks.

“Wweeellll,” Pinkie ‘Golden’ started.

--------------------------------

“You cheeky brat,” North blinked innocent eyes up at the griffin scowling at her, licking her muzzle to get the sauce off her face.

“I stuck to two,” she defended herself, Gaius held up his cart.

“Yes, you ate two pig feet and a quarter of my bacon!” his words reached a pony’s ears on the sidewalk who gave them a horrified look before hurrying passed them.

The two turned to stare after them with blank expressions before exchanging looks and laughing.

“Eh, I’ll let it pass this time, if only because seeing others’ reactions to what we’re eating always makes it funny,” then he flicked her ear and she rubbed it, pouting up at him, “But stop eating my merch, I need it for deliveries.”

“I was hungry,” it was a weak defense, they both knew it, and he snorted as they walked towards the entrance of Dragontown. There were ponies going along the sidewalk, some looking at the filly walking next to the scarred griffin with suspicious looks, but upon seeing their destination, paled and avoided going near them.

“Hey! North Wind,” a call from behind made her ear twitch but she continued forward, hearing a groan of frustration as well as galloping heading in her direction.

Then they went passed the entrance and there was a beat of wings as two dragons flew over them and stopped the pursuer.

“Let us through dragons,” was the demand, a dragon scoffed.

“Didn’t we tell you Royal Guards that you are not allowed in here? We know you are not on Royal Duty, so you have no jurisdiction here,” North turned to see two Royal Guards staring down the dragons three times bigger than them.

One of the stallions locked eyes with her and she pulled down an eyelid, sticking her tongue out at him and watching him bristle with satisfaction before hurrying her pace to catch up with Gaius.

The Royal Guard stomped his hoof, giving the unimpressed firebreathing lizard a sneer.

“You are letting a little filly like here go through? She’s a runaway, she needs to be retrieved,” they shrugged.

“We don’t care,” one said, “Now go,” the other one continued, “Or we can have roasted pony for lunch,” they both stated, smoke coming out of their mouths.

The Royal Guards reluctantly retreated.

As soon as the stallions disappeared, the dragons flew back to their spot above a ramen shop where Gaius and North entered, taking their posts and keeping an eye on the entrance.

“Stupid ponies, they’ve been bothering us for months, don’t they have anything better to do?” his twin shrugged.

“Probably not if they think chasing after a tiny pony is worth their time,” they then resumed their watch, staying so still one could mistake them for statues.

North wished she could have seen the dragons and Guards fighting, but could only feel nervous as one of the goals of this trip was nearing its close.

All she had to do was give the eggs, then she could go to that Nocturne settlement and find out more about the temple.

“Calm down, they can smell fear,” she gave the griffin a look, getting a crooked beak in return as he pushed aside the curtain into the shop.

Upon entering they searched for somewhere to sit, North looking at it and couldn’t help but compare it to a Chinese Noodle Restaurant. There were a total of ten tables with surprising space between them, though considering the clientele, it shouldn’t be. There was even a bar surrounding the kitchen and Gaius led her over to it, taking a stool and she hopped onto the one next to him.

“Pork delivery,” he called out to the kitchen and the cook sauntered out. His emerald green scales shimmered under the light and his bronze stomach was covered with an apron. Slitted jade eyes glanced at them, focusing in on her with an intensity that made her straighten.

He didn’t have wings, but something about him told her he did not need them.

“Looks more like a pony one to me,” the dragon said dryly, making Gaius laugh,

“No, just pork and this one has her own separate delivery, if you can spare the time to meet with her,” North gave the griffin a searching look, but he was bringing out the meat from his container, getting quite a few interested looks from the diners.

The draconic chef took the meat and disappeared to put it away before coming back out to talk to them.

“Usual hotel?” he asked Gaius who nodded, “Take a bowl to go, I will meet you later tonight,” he gave them a takeaway container with two bowls and the two left, North feeling a bit off.

The surrounding wind seemed to settle in the dragon’s presence, and when they were a good distance away from the restaurant, became restless, urging her to go back to the restaurant.

But she continued forward, going into a twenty-story hotel and waiting for Gaius to get the keys before they entered an elevator.

“So what now? Give him the eggs and leave tomorrow?” Gaius thought about it.

“Usually I wander around the town for a few days afterward, get a few treats to take home, are you anxious to get back to your friends?” she shook her head.

“Not safe for me to be seen near them, but at some point, Golden Lotus and North Wind will have to be seen in the same town, and the program doesn’t reach Hollow Shades for another two months,” while the program will be in Fillydelphia, it was on the other side of the city and nowhere near Dragontown.

She just hoped they didn’t run into any trouble of the rainbow maned and delusional variety.

Their hotel room was rather fancy though the bed was sunk into the ground with just a smooth rock as the surface.

Luckily there were pillows and a mattress in the closet for those who do not have a scaly constitution.

North settled in against a very large pillow while sipping her noodles, enjoying the spicy broth and the seafood mixed in with the noodles.

Though eating the mussels took a bit of maneuvering.

Unfortunately, the bowl was empty too soon and she stared at the licked clean porcelain with sad eyes, earning her a snort from Gaius who was still nursing his.

“If you want more food, you will have to order it from room service,” he told her, she considered it.

“How is room service ordered though?” he pointed at a set of bell-like objects near the bed and she was surprised to see kitchen, cleaning, and management underneath them. A menu was plastered against the wall and she looked it over before making her decision. She pulled down the kitchen one and flattened her ears at the shill ringing.

“Yes?” the voice on the other end sighed.

“Yes, a bowl of spicy seafood soup and a Bacon Lover’s Pizza with two egg tarts and two red bean buns please, oh, and a pitcher of Volcanic Tea, thank-you,” she let go of the bell and returned to her spot.

“Hungry are we?” she gave him a sheepish smile.

“Kind of,” even she was surprised by how hungry she was.

North was halfway through her pizza when the dragon appeared, entering in from the window and stopping when he spotted her with bacon pieces falling from her muzzle as she swallowed. Along with the empty bowls and the half-eaten buns, and tarts, which she was crumbling up to put on her pizza with a bottle of complimentary chili sauce they had sent up.

“Gaius, you didn’t tell me they lifted that silly meat ban in the pony world,” there was distaste in his tone on ‘pony’ and North didn’t let it get to her as the griffin looked up from his own slice, having saved a few from North’s experiments.

“They didn’t actually, ponies are still against eating meat, apart from the occasional order, most of my customers are griffins or Jewel Dogs, and then you, Master Po,” Po sniffed, looking unsurprised.

“The ponies were always so slow to change, so close-minded, but I didn’t think you would participate in their antics,” Gaius blinked.

“What do you mean?” Master Po scowled at him, his dragon whiskers bristling.

“You bring a Bearer of Wind and claim not to know?” North stiffened, wings lying flat against her sides and the slice slipping from her hoof.

“She’s not here for that,” the griffin commented, “She’s actually here to return something that she found in a black market,” taking the hint, North hurried to her bag and uncovered the eggs.

A green claw took them from her and she almost marveled at his speed as he looked at both eggs, giving them a once over.

“And how did a filly such as yourself end up in a black market?” Gaius nodded to her and North recounted her adventures in the caverns below Canterlot and how she and her friends found the eggs.

“Unfortunately, I couldn’t bring them to you straight away because of the suspicion of the guards, and Gaius has had his cart searched every time he left Canterlot or anywhere else,” it was only luck that the station manager decided not to search further.

“I see, and that is the only reason you wish to see me? No other?” North felt confused, staring at him.

“No?” her body locked up at as her wings moved without her permission and wind swirled around, making her pale as she tried to close her wing to no avail.

“You’ve been binding your wings,” his growl stirred up the wind and Gaius came to her rescue.

“Her wings were bound for months when she was younger, and recently she’s only been wearing ones to hide her wings for disguise purposes.” a claw ran across her wing and it tickled making her jerk but her body was rooted to the spot.

“Your wing muscles are surprisingly developed for one who has never flown with them, do you not wish to learn how to control your Blessing,” she remained silent and there was a scoff, “I see, you are just like the others then, I suppose you plan on going to the Nocturne tribe next?” her cheek spasmed and Master Po growled, “You ponies never change, afraid of what they do not understand?” she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“I cannot control it-” “You haven’t tried-” “Every time I open them they’re slicing something up or sending something across the room. Look, I just came here to return the Dragon Eggs before I was spotted and they were taken back. I will be out of your scales and despite what you think, my Blessing is too strong and out of control to be one,” wind swirled around her but to her surprise it didn’t feel like it was coming from her.

“I see,” she did not like that quiet tone, at all.

------------------------------

Yep, she didn’t like it, nor the fact that her pizza was probably in the trash somewhere, attracting flies.

That jerk didn’t even let her finish before knocking her out!

So now she was at the bottom of some tall mountain with bamboo trees everywhere and no signs of life in sight.

All she had was a letter taped to her forehead with a sticker in the shape of a bowl of noodles.

Dear North Wind,

If you think you can return Dragon Eggs and expect me to take them without question, you are rather naive. Despite your beliefs, Blessings of the Wind are not a curse and there is a way for you to be able to control it.

But you refuse to see it.

Gaius filled me in and while it is not all that surprising that ponies are still spreading around such false ideologies, I will not tolerate a filly of your strength giving up her Blessing as well.

The top of the mountain is your only exit in this place, any other way will have you walking in circles.

You have a week, Master Po,”

That was the end of the letter, nothing else, and upon looking behind her, she spotted the fog and decided against testing her luck.

But even as she made her way, she reminded herself that no matter what happened, giving up her Blessing was the only way she could avoid hurting anyone else.

Nothing would change her mind.

---------------

“I’m surprised you actually decided to kidnap her, Gaius was rather put out with you,” the familiar voice made Po look down at the small red canine next to him who lifted his paw, “One word,” the warning had the smile on his lips die, even as he looked forward again.

“So, you got out, didn’t expect to see you for another hundred years at least,” Ruffalo grimaced.

“You can thank that filly over there, lost control and her magic sliced right through the chains,” Po absorbed that information.

“Those chains were reinforced and enchanted,” “They were,” “They were made of magic,” “Yes,” “And she sliced right through them?” “Well her magic had been bound for a few months, so it was a bit off, but yes,” “How old was she?” “Five,” the answer made him frown, looking in the distance at the pegasus who was traversing one of the obstacles to get here, obstacles that wouldn’t be an issue if she actually flew.

Which she didn’t.

“Too many ponies let go of their Blessing, what is that alicorn thinking?” his tail smacked into the ground, creating a crack and causing a piece of the mountain to fall off.

“Don’t know, why don’t you ask her?” the dragon avoided the other’s gaze, feeling frustrated.

“I have nothing to say to that mare,” Ruffalo clicked his tongue.

“Right, and yet you just kidnapped one of her ponies who wasn’t going to you for training,” “Do you know what will happen if she gives up the Blessing?” Po demanded, “How very few out there still have it? If she ends up giving it up, who knows how powerful the next one would be?”

They dropped the subject in favor of observing the filly’s progress.

“Did you sense her magic?” “You mean the one that allows her to glow in the dark, yes,” “Should we be concerned about that as well?” “Who knows, pony magic is always so restrictive,” “Like draconic magic is any better?” “Touche.”

A yelp sounded in the distance as the filly dodged attacks from a boar and ran up a tree, making it ram headfirst and pierce its tusks through the bark. She dropped down from above and dealt the animal a finishing blow. She barely celebrated her victory when there was even more squealing and with a terrified expression she tore down the path, even more boars appearing out of nowhere to chase her down.

“Bet you three salmon steaks she makes it by sundown on the sixth day,” “Only salmon? I’ll throw in three sharks and two swordfish that she won’t be here till after the seventh day,” “Deal,” the two shook on it and silence surrounded them for a moment, the rising sun behind them making them realize how long they’ll be waiting.

“I don’t suppose you brought a board game?” Ruffalo pointed at a mining car behind him filled with different games.

“Raided one of your dragon stores, you’ll have to show me the rules,” the two immortals sat down to play, keeping one of their senses trained on the filly while one taught the other the rules of the game.

As the days passed, game after game was played or met their end due to an outburst by one of ther players. By the time the sixth-day set, Po was setting fire to the board game, and huffing reached their ears as the filly slowly appeared from a path, covered in mud and her blue mane singed in some parts. She collapsed against Ruffalo, burying her head in his bowl of soup and not even caring as she gulped it down.

He patted her with a crimson paw while holding out the other one to Po who grumbled to himself before snapping his claws, summoning a dragon to come flying down with the promised seafood that was placed into an empty cart.

“So, you managed to do that entire climb without needing the use of your wings, rather interesting,” head still in the bowl, North muttered something not so flattering as she blearily lifted her head enough to reach over and snatch a bun, swallowing it whole before resting again.

The green dragon gave her ten minutes of rest before grabbing her with one claw and ignoring her struggles, walking from the table to a large hole leading into the center of the mountain.

“Now that you passed this part of the test, let’s see how you can get to the bottom without dying,” he dropped her down the hole and chuckled at the curses she let out before gravity took hold.

“You realize that even that is not going to get her to fly right? She learned how to climb up walls with her hooves,” Po blinked at the canine.

“As I’m sure other ponies do who do not have the use of individual digits like us,” he wiggled his claw, Ruffalo snorted.

“No, I mean she learned how to climb up,” Ruffalo put away the games and went to his winnings, “Have fun training her,” the ground moved underneath them and ridges appeared below the cart as he hopped on top of the shark that was still twitching. With a wave of his paw the cart started moving, as did the mining car behind him.

Po rolled his eyes,

“Show-off,” despite their unexpected reunion, he still found the Jewel Alpha rather irritating. Then something occurred to him and he paused.

‘Has someone told him about what happened to the Lunar Princess yet?’ because he couldn’t think of a reason why there wasn’t any news about the canine being released.

Oh well, time to check on his newest student, even if he hated ponies.

------------------------

North felt her hooves protesting the treatment but kept focusing through her exhaustion as she moved out of the way of spikes and avoided hitting her head when the passage got too narrow.

He was seriously wanting her to fly wasn’t he?
That dragon was in for a surprise.

Finally she saw the bottom and got ready to jumpy, launching herself and realizing too late that the red speck she saw wasn’t a pool of lava but was an actual dragon, a small one, that stood up and yawned.

“Wat-” he turned to her in alarm as she crashed right into him, sending both of them into the wall and she fell against the floor groaning.

Then there was a growl and something grabbed her wing making her still.

“What is a baby pony doing here?!” she turned and saw the dragon was holding her wing in his claws, sneering at her.

Something seemed familiar about him, but she was more concerned with the distance between him and her wings.

“If you don’t want to die, let go of my wing,” the warning fell on deaf ears as he plucked a feather, making her flinch as a wave of wind sent him crashing on the opposite side of the cave with a shout.

This is the moment when Po appeared, and she cursed her luck as he took in the scene, Her standing with wide eyes and the dragon buried in the wall with a feather in his claws.

“Garble go back to your training, you filly, come with me,” the name poked at something in her memory as she grudgingly followed the dragon, the both of them paying no mind to the dragon who stomped off into a separate cavern.

“Training?’ her question had him sighing.

“Most of the dragons send their young to me when they become worried about their wings growing late, and I try what I can to help. Otherwise they’ll try and force it which will cause holes or tears in a young dragon’s wings that will never heal. I can tell Garble is still months away from his Molting, but he seems rather impatient and easily led by his peers,” North hummed, wincing here and there as her sore hooves met the hot ground, “In here,” Po turned into a cavern and she was a step behind him before stopping at the pools of water in the cavern, all of them with steam rising up and different dragons throwing flowers into the water. As the duo went passed them, the dragons bowed to Po and gave her a strange look but did not say anything.

She wasn’t sure whether that was a good thing or not.

“Here, this is the least likely one to boil you alive, you will take a bath and afterward we will be going to the Cloud Room,” she was forced to wash herself off in a nearby mini waterfall before slipping into the hot water. It felt very relaxing and she felt the soreness and aches wash away as the herbal waters did their magic.

Eyelids growing heavy, she sank into the water, feeling very sleepy and tempted to close her eyes for just one mom- being snatched from the water interrupted her relaxation and she groaned as they took her away from her long needed soak.

“Stop groaning, you were in there for two hours,” not nearly enough, she muttered to herself, causing a chuckle as the dragon took her through the dark caverns, dozing off and almost falling asleep again if he hadn’t dropped her onto hard ground.

“Your task for the next few weeks is to get up there,” he pointed up and she blinked several times, feeling the exhaustion disappear as she stared up and up into what she was pretty sure was the sky above. It wasn’t a straight flight either, as there were pillars and pathways that would make it difficult to maneuver, “Also, if you use that trick with your hooves, then I will knock you down to begin again,” she scowled at him.

“You do realize I never accepted this training right?” he smirked.

“Too bad, it’s training long overdue, and you won’t have t worry about hurting anyone or destroying the cave, the walls are reinforced and can be regrown. Do not worry about food or water,’ he pointed at some fruit trees near a small pond, “Water’s always clean, and if you think you can go out the other way?” a rumbling had her looking at the entrance in dismay as it closed in on itself.

She really had no option but to go up.

“How do you exp-” the question died on her tongue and she twitched, staring up at the disappearing green scales as their owner flew out with no issues.

And here North was hoping that flying would not come into the equation till her Blessing was gone.

But the dragon was not going to let her go, and there is nothing telling her she can’t give up the Blessing if she does not learn how to fly.

If it had been before this hellish week started she would have been more stubborn about it.

But rather than take the day’s flight up the mountain she did the slowest path of walking, and rather than wearing her hooves out sticking to the walls, she could have flown down and not crashed into that annoying dragon.

Right, she stared up with a resigned look, recalling the flights of the pegasus and how they moved their wings before taking a few steps back and broke into a run. She flapped her wings and suddenly she was in the air.

But she was going too fast and when she tried to gain control, she ended up somehow spinning and crashing against the wall.

“Ow,” this, this was going to take a while.

The second attempt ended up slicing her fruit tree in half, sending her food scattering across the grass and into the water.

Third attempt, she got two flaps before her wings, eager to be in the air, accelerated her speed, and crashed into a pillar, falling into the water below with a great crash.

By the tenth attempt, Po took pity and flew back down, frowning as he came across the ruined tree and the groaning filly rubbing her head.

“Right, maybe I should help give you some pointers,” he looked down to see her blinking glazed eyes and sighed, “After you wake up then,” he poked her forehead and she fell backward, falling asleep and softly snoring.

These were going to be a long two months.

And here he thought he wouldn’t be teaching ponies again after that incident with that stallion colt, what was his name again?

--------------------------

“You said she was spotted in Fillydelphia?” Wind Scar looked over the reports, frowning as he thought about the unfortunate scene at the ski resort.

And the fact that Celestia was finally cottoning on and was asking questions he’d rather she did not.

“Yes sir, do you want us to try and enter the city again?” he waved it off, his frown turning into a smirk.

“Actually, it’s fine,” the Dragon Eggs were an unfortunate loss, and he would track down those Griffin cubs sooner or later.

“Sir?” the questioning tone made him look at the stallion who flinched, but he just looked back down at his reports.

“I know where she is now, it doesn’t matter,” and if he needed to draw her out, that yellow pegasus should serve as the perfect bait.

The unicorn unfortunately was too close to the castle to try anything.

And that earth filly was gone as well.

Anyways, it didn’t matter, North Wind was still scared of her Blessing, still scared of doing anything with it.

He had her where he wanted her.