• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 674 Views, 9 Comments

The Golden Age - The Quiet Party



Side story to The Huntress. Luna tells Sunset about what brought her to Earth, and why she stayed.

  • ...
1
 9
 674

V: LONG POND, PENNSYLVANIA, August 28, 2113

LONG POND, PENNSYLVANIA
August 28, 2113

“Excuse me?” An earth pony, dressed in a fine suit, knocked on the farmhouse door. “Is there anyone home?”

A young human woman answered the door. “Can I help you?”

The pony reached into a coat pocket and produced a business card. “My name is Solomon, and I’m here from the North American Union government. I’m looking for Princess Luna. Does she, ah, live here?”

“Yes, she does. But she’s indisposed at the moment. Perhaps another time?”

The stallion shook his head. “I’m afraid not. It took me several minutes to get here from the capital, and it’s of the utmost importance that I speak to the Princess immediately.”

“And I can’t dissuade you, sir?”

“Listen, Miss … I’m sorry, I never got your name.”

“St. Germain,” the woman said with hesitation. “Tabitha … St. Germain.”

Solomon nodded. “Well, Ms. St. Germain, her highness is a hero, I’m sure you know. After all, she clearly hired you as an assistant, correct? To billions of beings on Earth, she’s considered a legend, and among we ponies, she is our goddess – quite literally. But I am here on behalf of the NAU, and it is imperative that I speak to Princess Luna.”

Tabitha sighed, opening the door. “If I cannot dissuade you…. Please, come in.”


Solomon walked into the house, looking at the vintage circa late 2090s furniture, which looked like it was done in that rustic style that was so emblematic of the mid-20th century. Aside from the information center, the food preparation center and a few other modern gadgets here and there, Solomon could have sworn he walked onto the set of a period drama holofilm.

“Would you care for something to drink, Mr. Solomon?”

The pony nodded as he looked around the room with a faint air of distaste. “That would be wonderful, Ms. St. Germain.” He then started to turn around … and his jaw dropped.

Princess Luna stood there, a plastiluminum container of Dr. Pepper in her magical field. “I’m sorry – would you prefer a glass with ice?”

“P-P-P-Princess Luna!” Solomon gasped, bowing deeply. “It’s … it’s an honor!” He then looked around. “But where is your lovely assistant?”

Luna grinned. “That wasn’t an assistant.” There was a flare of magic, and as the alicorn was replaced by a human woman, she added, “That was me.”

“But why?” Solomon asked.

“Because after two terms as the Secretary-General, I decided to retire. I wanted my own life. And it’s far easier to live here as Tabitha than as Luna. I’d be swamped as the legendary alicorn. But as Tabitha, I’m just an artist that lives at home. I even have the guy down the street that’s interested in me.” She smiled softly. “It’s nice to be wanted, and not for some royal decree.”

“I … see.” He cleared his throat and announced, “Be that as it may, the NAU has been in talks with the EU, the Sino-Japanese Republic, the United States of Africa, and the Pan-Oceana Federation, and they are merging to form a global government. A name was chosen to be the first president, Princess.”

“No,” Luna answered immediately.

“And why not?” Solomon asked. “We did a planetary search to come up with the most qualified candidate, and your name came up time and time again. Name one reason why you would not be a qualified ruler? Hell, most ponies still consider you their goddess!”

“Most?”

Solomon nodded. “My grandparents converted to Judaism, and if I may be honest, I’m pretty much atheist myself. I realize you’re an immortal and maybe even powerful enough to be like a god, but an actual one?” He shrugged. “In any case, that’s not why I’m here.”

“Well, for one, I’m not a citizen,” Luna started.

“Sophistry. Everyone residing in North America or who had relational ties to any of the seven nations that merged to become the NAU is a Union citizen,” Solomon answered. “Furthermore, everyone on Earth will be citizens of the new EarthGov the moment the ink is dry. You’ll have to give me a better answer than that.”

“Then what about the fact that I'd be leading 17 billion humans, ponies and other species? This is their world, Solomon – we are just newcomers here. It should be a human that leads this government, not me.” She shook her head. “No, I’m sorry: I will be there if the government needs me, but I will not – I cannot – lead it.”

“Why? Because of Nightmare Star?”

“No – because there are many who know of the legends of Nightmare Moon,” Luna said sadly, “and I would do anything to spare them those fears.”


As Solomon departed, Luna groaned; her groove was off now and her work would be ruined for the rest of the day. Oh well, I’ve been meaning to do some work on the shed where I keep the lawnmower bot. She was about to go upstairs to change (she could have done it by magic, but she liked doing things manually) when someone knocked on the door.

She opened it once more and was much more pleased with her guest this time: short sandy hair, striking green eyes, and a rugged face that made her swoon. He wore a plaid shirt and worn jeans and looked like a million credits in her eyes.

“Hi, Alex,” she said with a smile. “C’mon in! What brings you here?”

He grinned. “Heya, Tab. Was wondering what that bigwig government shuttle was doing here. Someone you know?”

She shook her head. “Not really. Guy was looking for Princess Luna. Obviously, she’s not here.”

“Why in God’s name would he be looking for someone like her in this remote middle of nowhere?”

“Tabitha” shrugged. “If I remember correctly, Princess Luna’s investment company actually owns this place. I just rent it.” That was true enough; as Tabitha, Luna paid a monthly fee to her company, Lunar Investments Inc. for the upkeep of the house. Under current tax laws, it was a way to allow her to anonymously donate money to the charities of her choice without them crowing about her involvement. “But enough about that. What brings you here?”

“Well .... I was thinking about going to Philly for the weekend. See the ex-wife and kids, take in the sights, that sorta stuff. But I hate driving alone, so I was wondering….”

Luna put her arms around the guy. “Why, Mr. Holliday, are you asking me out on a date?”

He suddenly looked flustered; her forwardness suddenly caught him off-guard. “Well….”

She leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. “We’ll see how that goes … and how anything else goes, okay?”

He chuckled. “You know, Tab, we’ve known each other for a couple of years now, and I still can’t figure you out.”

She gave him a knowing grin. “You’ll need a few millennia more before you do, Alex. Trust me on this.”