• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 674 Views, 9 Comments

The Golden Age - The Quiet Party



Side story to The Huntress. Luna tells Sunset about what brought her to Earth, and why she stayed.

  • ...
1
 9
 674

0: THE SPEAKER'S VILLA, THE CITY, June 5, 2770.

THE SPEAKER’S VILLA, THE CITY
June 5, 2770

“Would you care for a glass of wine?” Luna asked Sunset as she glanced at Tiberius, who took the hint and went off to go fetch his mistress a drink.

“Are you sure about that?” Sunset asked. “I don’t think I’m old enough.”

“Sunset, for one, you’re not really a teenager – as I recall you should be about twenty-six in pony years?” Sunset blushed, and Luna laughed. “Plus, things are different from your time on Earth. Things have changed to the point that humans who hit puberty are nearly considered adults once more. They still have compulsory education until their twenties and the age of consent is still fifteen, but otherwise, you are an adult now – by today’s standards, girls are practically ones from first blood.”

Sunset winced. “Took me forever to get used to the menstrual cycle vice the estral one.”

“Oh, trust me, I know the feeling.” At that point, Tiberius returned, and a second later a glass of chablis appeared before Luna. Before Sunset could even say anything, another glass appeared before her.

“I hope you enjoy. Chateau Moonlight Vineyards, 2269.” Luna had a sad look come over her face. “Of all the wines we made, this one was Alex’s favorite.”

“Alex?”

“My husband,” Luna replied. “He passed away a long time ago. Thankfully he did before the Taken Queen’s return.”

Sunset looked at her aunt and the centuries of sorrow in her eyes. “You didn’t mention him the last time you told me what happened,” she said.

“I only told you what you needed to know, Little Light. I think … well, maybe it would be best for me if I told the whole story this time around.”