• Published 19th Oct 2016
  • 1,242 Views, 39 Comments

A Woodland Romance - KidatHeart5



A "Royal Canterlot Family" spinoff. This is the story of how Sunset Shimmer met her husband, Timber Spruce.

  • ...
3
 39
 1,242

Gaea's Geodes

Rainbow shouted, “What do you mean you can’t change us back?!”

Discord rebuffed, “It’s like I told you: my magic’s acting wonky left and right! How was I supposed to know this would happen?!”

Twilight chastised, “You should’ve thought of that before you turned us into humans!”

He tittered, “It must’ve slipped my mind.”

Fluttershy said, “All right, let’s calm down, every…one. I’m sure once we find whatever’s causing all this, we can turn back to normal.”

Quibble said after some thought, “Yeah, I’m pretty sure the Gaea geodes are behind this.”

Daring Do agreed, “You know, I think you’re right. The reason I came to Splendor Woods looking for the geodes is because of rumors of magical surges here. Some of those who camped here have said that they saw a bright glow in the rock quarry. When they tried to go near it, the ground near the quarry became like quicksand.”

Discord said as he scratched his head, “Oh, that’s odd. Gloriosa said she went near the rock quarry and collected some geodes to make her necklace.”

Daring’s eyes widened as she asked, “Wait. Geodes?” When Discord nodded, she asked urgently, “Were they arranged in an hourglass shape?”

“Uh, no. Not really.”

She stomped her hoof in frustration and grunted, “Darn! If I knew what colors the geodes were, it would be easier to find them!”

Twilight said, “We’ll try to go to the rock quarry to see what we can find.”

Flash pointed out, “If we can avoid the supposed quicksand trap.”


After agreeing to send out a team to the rock quarry in the morning, the royals, Discord, and ponies all got some shuteye before the sun rose again. In the morning light, the humanized royals walked up to the tents, knowing that it was minutes before their family members would wake up and see them. The night before, the three other husbands stayed behind to watch the kids and were sleeping at the time of the transformation.

Twilight said to the rest of her family, “You know the plan, right?”

Discord nodded, “Right.” He then went up to one of the tents and prepared to duct-tape the tent folds shut.

His humanized relatives shouted, “Discord!”

Sunset said, “That is not the plan! The plan is we talk to our relatives before they come out and convince them to not be afraid when they do.”

Her twin nodded, “Exactly. Sunset, you, Pinkie, Fluttershy, and I are going to go to the kids’ tent. Rarity, your tent. Rainbow Dash, yours. And Applejack…”

Applejack said, “My tent. I get it.”

When the kids were waking up, Whirl gasped as he saw four unfamiliar shadows outside the tent. He whispered to his cousins, “Guys! Do you see that?”

The other cousins were startled by the strange figures and were becoming fearful of what laid outside.

Cotton asked, “What is that?”

Screwball whispered, “I don’t know!”

Gem shrieked, “It’s the Two-Legs!”

Dignity added, “Only there’s four of them!”

The kids screamed until they heard their Aunt Sunset’s voice say, “Calm down! Calm down! It’s us! Aunt Twilight, Aunt Fluttershy, and even Aunt Pinkie!”

Pinkie’s voice then said, “You forgot yourself, Sunset!”

Sunset sighed, “Yes, Pinkie. It’s me in this form, too.”

The kids gasped when they heard that. Fire Spark asked, “Wait. ‘This form’?”

Twilight explained, “Long story short: your father, aunts, and I got transformed into creatures unrecognizable to ponies.”

When the kids didn’t get it, Fluttershy clarified, “Um…it means we got turned into something no one’s seen before.”

This got the kids interested and they poured out of the tent to see. They were stunned to see their mothers and aunt in such a strange form.

They breathed, “Whoa…”

A voice then said, “’Whoa’ indeed.”

They turned to see Fancy, who just got out of his tent and was now looking up at his wife in astonishment.

“Rarity?”

The once prim and proper unicorn turned towards her husband with an uneasy smile, “Oh, Fancy, darling, there’s something I must tell you.”

Just then, Spike and Soarin’ came out of their tents and gasped at the sights before them.

“Applejack?”

“Dash? Is that… you?”

Both wives gave cheesy grins with AJ saying, “Hi, hon. Um, Discord needs to tell you boys something. Isn’t that right?” She glared at the draconequus.

That caused the rest of the husbands to glare at him as well. Fancy demanded, “Discord, what have you done to my wife?!”

Spike declared, “Yeah!”

Soarin’ noticed Flash, who gave a timid wave, and gestured, “And what did you do to Flash?!”

Discord held his arms up in defense, “Hey, hey! One little mishap and you think I did it on purpose! Okay, sure, I was using Sunset to scare off Caballeron by turning her human. But when I saw the rest of the girls and Flash, I thought ‘Why not?’ and transformed them, too!”

Cotton raised her hoof, “Question. What is a hu-man?”

Pinkie jumped in front of her daughter while wiggling her fingers, “It’s what we are right now, sweetie!”

Starling asked, “But why haven’t you changed back?”

Twilight replied, “Something strange is happening in this forest and it’s making my magic and your uncle’s go awry.”

“So, like, is the Two-Legs real then because it’s a human?” Whirl asked.

Sunset answered, “Well, yes, but there are two of them. Turns out Timber Spruce and his sister are really half-ponies, half-humans. Their mother found a crystal mirror that teleported her to another world where humans live.”

Cotton spoke again, “So, wait, does that mean humans are aliens?!” She shrieked.

Screwball silenced her with her front hoof and turned back to their aunt, “You were saying, Aunt Sunny?”

Sunset gave a nod of gratitude and continued, “When Timber and Gloriosa’s mom met their dad, they fell in love and had them. But because of the Equestrian magic that was brought by their mom and their pony heritage, they were humans at night, but ponies during the day. They came to Equestria where it would be easier to hide their curse. Thus, the legend of the Two-Legs was born.”

Apple Jewel asked, “But how will Mom, you, Uncle Flash, and the rest of the aunts become ponies again if Uncle Discord can’t turn you guys back?”

Twilight responded, “By finding Gaea’s Geodes, we can set the magic straight and Discord can finally turn us back to normal.”

Sunset rubbed her chin and said, “If Gloriosa has the geodes, we’ll know for sure. But you better check the rock quarry just in case.”

Rainbow nodded, “Got it.”


“I think Timber’s going to be very surprised when he sees me like this,” Sunset said as she walked up to the lodge with Discord.

Discord tried to comfort her, “Relax. If anyone knows what it’s like to be a freaky human, it’s him.”

Sunset glared at him. She then took a deep breath and walked up the stairs, thinking, Well, here goes nothing.

When she knocked on the door, she heard a voice on the other side saying, “I’m coming, I’m coming.” She heard a yawn before Timber opened the door and literally jumped in surprise. “Whoa!”

Sunset sheepishly waved, “Hi, Timber.”

“Sunset? Is that you? What happened?”

Before Sunset could say anything, Discord filled in for her, “Baddies came here, I turned her and her sisters to humans, scared them off, and now I can’t turn them back.”

Timber blinked his weary eyes before he asked, “What? What do you mean by ‘scared them off’?”

Sunset clarified, “The bad guys. We scared them off in this form.”

“Oh-ho-ho. I’m sorry. I thought you meant…” He gave a yawn before he could finish his sentence.

“Are you okay, Timber?”

He rubbed his eyes as he answered, “Oh, yeah, yeah. I’m fine.”

Sunset said dubiously, “You don’t sound fine to me.”

Timber sighed before he explained, “Okay, you win. I had trouble getting to sleep last night because I’m worried about Gloriosa.”

Discord groaned, “Not this again!” He gestured at Sunset while he said, “How many times has she heard that excuse?!”

“But it’s the truth this time! Honest! I think something’s wrong with Gloriosa. Ever since she started wearing those geodes, she’s becoming a strange wood spirit at night.”

Sunset held out her hands and said, “Whoa, whoa, whoa! Are you saying that she’s wearing Gaea’s Geodes?!”

“Gaea’s Geodes?”

She explained, “They’re seven geodes that serve as a prison for Gaea Everfree.”

“But why would a forest spirit be trapped in seven geodes? What gives?”

“I don’t know, but my mother and Aunt Luna put her there in the first place. Maybe she did something bad to –“

A voice abruptly called out, “Oh, my!”

The three of them turned to see Gloriosa in shock.

Sunset knew that Gloriosa was surprised to see another human, so she explained, “Don’t worry, Gloriosa. It’s only me, Sunset Shimmer.”

Gloriosa put a hoof to her chest to calm her rapid heartbeat as she sighed in relief, “Oh! Thank goodness! But…why are you like this? You shouldn’t be this way.” Just then, a terrible thought crossed her mind. “Oh, Sunset. Were you cursed?”

“Huh?” She chuckled as she explained, “Oh, no! No! This is something my brother-in-law did.” Her face grew serious as she said, “But…I do know about why you and your brother disappear at night.”

Gloriosa stood silent for a moment until she stomped her hoof and muttered, “I knew it!” She pointed at Discord as she said, “You told her, didn’t you?!”

Sunset was confused by this and asked, “Wait. How did you -”

At that moment, Fluttershy, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash came out of the forest. Twilight called out to Sunset, “Sunset! We couldn’t find the geodes!”

Rainbow concurred, “There were only red crystals in that cave!”

Unbeknownst to them, Gloriosa’s irises began to glow green when she saw Fluttershy.

Fluttershy…

The strange, whispery voice caught Sunset’s attention and she saw Gloriosa beginning to float up.

Disturbed and confused, Timber asked, “Gloriosa? What’s happening to her?!”

Sunset stammered, “I – I - I don’t know!”

Unsure of what to do, the three of them watched as Gloriosa floated towards the team that came back from the rock quarry. The three humanized sisters also stood there as they watched her coming at them.

Fluttershy…

The whispery voice, louder this time, made Sunset aware of Gloriosa’s intentions. She breathed, “Oh, no…” She warned Discord, “Discord! It’s Gaea! She’s after Fluttershy!”

Just then, brambles began to grow out of Gloriosa’s mane as she neared Fluttershy. Fluttershy whimpered, “Oh, dear…”

Suddenly, Discord grabbed Gloriosa by the tail as he grunted, “Oh, no, you don’t!” He spun her around until he threw her into the forest.

Timber ran into the woods, calling out, “Gloriosa!” Sunset ran after him.

When the two of them entered the forest, they searched for Gloriosa until Sunset found something unusual.

She pointed at something and said, “Look!”

When Timber came to her side, his eyes fell on a strange cocoon made of brambles.

Sunset asked, “Timber, what is that? It wasn’t here before.”

Timber explained, “It looks like a cocoon made of rubus fruticosus. You know, blackberry brambles.”

“I’ve heard that they were a trademark of Gaea Everfree.”

Timber said in an almost-downtrodden way, “Well, there’s a pretty good chance that Gloriosa’s wearing the geodes now.” He grunted in frustration, “Ugh! I knew those geodes were bad news since the moment I saw her wearing them.”

“But how did she get them? The rock quarry was rumored to have ground like quicksand that prevents anyone from going near it.”

“I don’t know if it will work, but maybe you could touch the cocoon to try to see Gloriosa’s memories.” Secretly, he wanted to see if Gloriosa was still there, that Gaea hadn’t completely taken over yet.

Sunset wasn’t sure if it would work, but she had to try…for Timber’s sake. “All right.” She reached towards the cocoon as she thought, Please, Gloriosa. If you’re still there, show me how you got the geodes.

She took a deep breath and touched the cocoon. To her surprise, her mind traveled in a multi-colored tunnel of light as it did whenever she was about to see someone’s memories. Thankfully, an image of Gloriosa played before her eyes. She was in her human form and gazing down at a pond formed by a waterfall.

Gloriosa sighed as she swept her hand across the water, “What’s going to happen between them? What if Sunset rejects him? Or what if she accepts him and…takes him?”

Suddenly, a reddish wisp of magic appeared over her head. She looked up and saw it slink above the trees. She followed it to the rock quarry and ran up to the huge boulders at the entrance. She didn’t notice that she had just walked across the white ground until she made it to the opening. She looked back in amazement and wondered how she could’ve made it without sinking. Before she could ponder on it further, a red glow of light in the cave caught her attention. With curiosity controlling her every move, Gloriosa squeezed past the boulders.

When she got inside, she fell to the ground and coughed from the dust she had disturbed. She looked up and uttered a word of amazement when she saw a ray of light shining on seven beautiful geodes that rested on an almost-halved stalagmite. She slowly walked up to the crystals to get a better look at them.

She uttered with wide eyes, “They’re…gorgeous.”

She reached out to touch them, and when she did, the geodes gave a flash of light. She gasped as she was suddenly seized by a strong magical force. She was lifted into the air as the geodes began to float and arrange themselves in an hourglass shape. When they neared Gloriosa, a green vine like a string wrapped itself intricately around the geodes and her neck. Then, brambles began to entwine themselves on Gloriosa’s feet and body until her transformation was complete. When Gloriosa opened her new eyes, she became shocked at her new body.

She breathed, “Wha…? What happened to me?”

When she tried to walk, she floated instead. Being inept at this new ability, Gloriosa slowly floated her way out of the cave. When she came up to the boulders, they magically rolled away. She was surprised to see that happen and attributed it to the geodes she was now wearing. She made her way to the pond by the waterfall and looked down to see her reflection.

“Aah!” she cried as she jumped back in shock. She was surprised that she now had green hair and black sclera in her eyes. “How can this be? Have I become someone like Gaea Everfree?” Just then, an idea struck. “Hey…In this new form, I can easily be seen by the campers during the night. I can act as a wood spirit who roams these woods and never have to worry about what ponies think of me!”

Suddenly, she heard a yell in the distance. She uttered, “Timber?”

She floated between the trees until she found her brother hanging by a rope on his ankle. She recognized the other three who were with him as part of the royal family. She watched from the bushes as they released Timber and he explained everything to the brothers-in-law. Sunset could feel betrayal rising in Gloriosa’s body as Timber told the others their secret. After Timber explained that a wise zebra told their parents the rhyme, Gloriosa left the scene and disappeared into the woods.

Sunset saw another white flash and the image was now of Timber and Gloriosa in the woods in their pony forms.

Timber asked, “Okay, Gloriosa. What’s this about?”

Gloriosa stood tall as she said, “Watch.”

When the sun went down, Timber transformed into his human self the same way he always did, but Gloriosa morphed into the superpowered version of her human side without the clouds and sparkles. The geodes hanging from her neck rearranged themselves from a row to an hourglass shape. After the clouds died down for Timber, he opened his eyes and yelped at seeing his sister’s new look.

He put his hand to his heart and gasped, “Gloriosa, what happened?!”

Gloriosa explained, “Oh, nothing big. Just put on seven geodes and voila! New me. You know, it works out better this way, don’t you think? I mean, I can act as a wood spirit who lives in Splendor Woods, and if I’m seen by other ponies, they won’t call me a monster.”

Timber stood there in silence for a few moments until he shook his head and said firmly, “No. No. This is insane, Gloriosa. You have to take those geodes off right now.”

“Oh?” She then said in rising anger, “And did I tell you that it was insane to just blab our secret to three royals we hardly know?!” She twitched at that.

Timber’s eyes widened as he asked, “Wait. You were there?”

“I saw everything, Timber. When you told them about our parents, when you told them about what happens to us every day, and even that little rhyme that defines our very lives! Well, guess what, Timber? It’s not going to come true.”

He protested, “You’re wrong, Gloriosa! Sunset and I were made for each other!”

“What about me, huh? Little old me? No stallion would want me if I told them I was half-human! But after last night, I don’t think it will be a problem finding a colt to break my curse.” She fingered the geodes as she continued in a silky tone, “Not if I have these geodes to keep me in this form at night.”

After Gloriosa said that, Sunset found herself in the real world again.

Timber asked hesitantly, “So…is Gloriosa wearing Gaea’s Geodes?”

Sunset nodded sadly, “Yes. Yes, she is. Gaea might’ve thought that she was the perfect candidate, so she allowed Gloriosa to enter the cave. She’s been wearing the geodes for two nights and two days now. After tonight and tomorrow morning…” She sighed heavily, “…Gaea will take control of her body and mold it into her own.”

Timber stood in silent thought for several moments before he said, “Sunset, you have to get out of here.”

Sunset disagreed, “No, I’m not leaving you in Gaea’s hands.”

“Listen to me. She’s controlling my sister, and she’ll make sure the geodes aren’t taken from her before the time limit is up. Please, Sunset. I don’t want your life to be endangered if you stay here. Take your family and leave Splendor Woods before it’s too late.”

“But what about you?”

He sighed before he faced the cocoon and said, “I’ll stay here and hope I’ll get through to my sister somehow. I don’t want to lose her forever.” His eyes shimmered as he said, “She’s the only family I’ve got.”

Sunset wanted to change his mind, but she knew just how important family was to Timber. After all, she almost lost her family all because of a pony’s bad choice. With a heavy heart, she hugged Timber and whispered, “I love you.”

Those three words caused Timber’s heart to leap in surprise. Before he could say anything to her, she stood up and went back to the camp.


Rainbow reprimanded Sunset, “You’re not going to leave him here in Splendor Woods, are you?!”

Sunset explained, “He told me to get everyone out of here before it’s too late.”

Rarity said, “Darling, I must agree with Rainbow Dash. Why are you leaving the one colt you ever loved in the hands of that monster?”

Discord gestured at Fluttershy as he agreed, “She nearly got my wife!” He crossed his arms and asked, “Have you thought of what might happen to your lover-colt?”

Twilight said, “He’s right, Sunset. We can’t leave Timber or Gloriosa behind. We have to help them.”

Sunset asked in a tone almost devoid of hope, “But how?”

Daring Do said, “Think about it. Gaea’s only powerful when she’s got a body. Her main power source lies in the geodes, so if we take them from her…”

Sunset finished with a hopeful smile, “She’ll lose her power and set Gloriosa free! Daring Do, that’s brilliant!”

Daring Do smirked at Quibble, “See? I told you the smart Dare was still there.”

Quibble chuckled, “You got that right.”

Author's Note:

CartoonNerd12 wrote the section where Fancy, Soarin’, and Spike reacted to their wives’ transformations. I knew that she would handle the scene better than I could, so I let her – pardon the pun – take the reins for that part.