• Published 19th Oct 2016
  • 1,239 Views, 39 Comments

A Woodland Romance - KidatHeart5



A "Royal Canterlot Family" spinoff. This is the story of how Sunset Shimmer met her husband, Timber Spruce.

  • ...
3
 39
 1,239

Midnight Scare

When Sunset and Timber got back onto land, they headed to the forest as the sun dipped lower into the horizon.

She told him at the edge of the woods, “You know, I’m glad we’re waiting with any kissing. We wouldn’t want to leave your sister in the dark if our kiss did work.”

He chuckled, “Yeah. I sure hope she doesn’t leave me in the dark about anything she knows.”

Sunset asked in concern, “Why? What’s wrong?”

Just then, Gloriosa’s voice called out, “Timber?! Where are you?!”

Timber turned back to his sweetheart and said, “I gotta go. I promise I’ll see you in the morning, okay?”

Sunset nodded, “Okay.”

He sprang for the woods and disappeared from sight. When the sun went down, a flash appeared behind Sunset. She turned to see Discord floating in mid-air in a peeved way.

He scowled, “What was that all about?! I thought you would be all -” He batted his eyes and put his hands together as he continued, “- mushy and lovey-dovey -” He then transformed into Sunset, save for his yellow-and-red eyes, bushy eyebrows, and snaggletooth. “- and all over your -” At that moment, a mannequin of Timber made out of ragged cloths appeared in a white flash. “- special somepony.” He then pretended to kiss the mannequin passionately.

Sunset shouted in an annoyed tone, “Discord!” When he turned to face her, she asked, “Why do you care if Timber and I get together?”

When Discord transformed back into his regular self, Cheese Sandwich and Spike came up to him and Sunset. Cheese answered, “Oh, come on, Sunset. You can’t hide your feelings for that guy. Not since we –“

He was cut off when Quibble rushed towards the four of them. Quibble panted in a panicked tone, “Guys, we have a situation!”

Without another word, the four royals followed him to the ledge where Daring Do was looking down at something with her binoculars.

She gave Sunset the binoculars and said, “You won’t like what you’re gonna see.”

When the princess peered into the binoculars, she looked all around the forest until…

She gasped, “Caballeron!”

Daring surmised, “He must be here looking for Gaea’s Geodes!”

Quibble pleaded, “Please tell me you found them already.”

His marefriend shook her head, “I haven’t. I’m trying, though.”

Spike said, “Even without Gaea’s Geodes, we still need to drive Caballeron and his henchponies away.”

Cheese said, “Well, too bad Timberwolves are out of the question. They could scare that band of baddies so they’d run for the hills without a second thought.”

Just then, Discord got an idea. He said sneakily as he rubbed his hands together, “You’ve got the right idea, Mr. Sandwich, but it’s not going to be Timberwolves.”


In a glen surrounded by trees, Sunset asked Discord, “Why couldn’t you have just sent Caballeron and his henchies to some far-off place like, I don’t know, the Badlands?”

Discord explained, “FYI, my magic has been working long-distance. I can summon things that are miles from us, but I can’t send them away. And besides, you know my plan’s going to work.”

“How is turning into a…” She chose her words carefully before she said, “…a Two-Legs going to scare Caballeron off?”

“Oh, I know from experience how terrifying humans can be.”

“Wait. How did you know about humans?”

“Oops,” Discord uttered as he realized his mistake. He tittered, “I may have gone looking for the Two-Legs last night and found Timber in human form.”

“So you were the one who told him about my new magical ability.”

“Actually, Cheese told him about that. I merely implied it.”

“Cheese went with you, then?”

“And Spike, although he was willing to back out if possible.”

She waved her hoof as she said, “We’re getting off-topic here. Are you going to change me into a human now?”

Just then, a metal bar flashed out of nowhere. Discord said, “Just hold onto the bar with both hooves.” After she did so in confusion, he wrapped a pink ribbon around her stomach a few times until he almost ran out of ribbon on his end.

She asked, “Okay. Now what?”

He then flashed a wicked grin, “Try not to puke.”

At that moment, he grabbed the metal bar while pulling the ribbon at the same time. The quick motion of the ribbon getting pulled sent Sunset spinning around the glen rapidly. The fast-twirling princess gradually grew taller and taller until she eventually slowed to a dizzy stop in human form. All lightheaded, she dropped to the ground.

When she regained her senses, she put her newly-transformed hand to her head and chided Discord, “Was that really necessary?” She then looked at her hand and put both it and its twin side-by-side. “Whoa…It feels so…” She then wriggled her fingers. “…weird.”

Discord shrugged, “Eh, you’ll get used to it.” He showed off his own hands and said, “I already am.” He wriggled his fingers to tease her.

Just then, Sunset’s six sisters came into the glen.

Twilight asked, “What’s going on here?”

Rainbow said, “We got the news about Caballeron and…” She trailed off as she and her sisters were in shock seeing the new creature in front of them.

Rarity shrieked, “Aahhh! It’s the Two-Legs!”

Sunset held out her hands and said, “No, no, no, guys! It’s me, Sunset!”

Pinkie screamed, “Aahhh! It ate Sunset!”

Discord sighed in agitation as he put his claw over his face and shook his head, “No, Pinkie. It really is Sunset.”

Sunset nodded, “Yeah. Look at the hair.” She grabbed a tuft of her hair and tugged it to prove her point.

Twilight came towards her and asked, “Sunset?” She then turned to Discord and said angrily, “All right, what did you do to my sister?!”

Her twin calmed her, “Twilight, it’s okay. This is actually part of the plan to scare Caballeron off.”

Applejack chuckled, “Well, ya sure scared us. We’ve never seen a creature like…you are now.”

Pinkie suggested cheerfully, “Ooh! Can we be like Sunset, too?!”

Wanting to see how this would play out, Discord said, “Your wish is my command!” He lifted his hands over his head and yellow magic began glowing on them.

Twilight cried, “Wait, Discord!”

KA-ZAP!

After the smoke cleared, humans were now standing where the princesses once were. Their hairs were longer and more voluminous versions of their manes and the princesses were wearing camping clothes like Sunset was. Since they weren’t adept at standing on two legs, they yelped as they fell down.

Discord couldn’t help but laugh raucously at the scene. “Oh! Oh! That was just too priceless!” He conjured up a camera and said, “Let me take a picture of it!” After the camera flashed, a picture rolled out of the bottom slit. He laughed again when he looked at it. “It’s even funnier when it’s documented!”

Sunset grunted as she tried to stand up, “Discord…this is no time to play jokes.”

Flash then came up to them and agreed, “Sunset’s right. We need to get down to business and soon before –“

Unbeknownst to him, Discord flashed another wicked grin when his back was facing Flash. He then interrupted him mid-sentence by snapping his fingers and transforming Flash into a human.

Shocked, Flash cried, “Discord, what did you…?!” He began to topple. “Whoa, whoa…whoa!”

As the newly-transformed human began falling, Discord took a photo of it. He chortled, “That’s another one for the album!”

Twilight rushed to her fallen husband on her new hands and bare feet, asking in concern, “Are you all right, Flash?”

Flash grunted as he sat up and rubbed the back of his head, “Yeah. I’ve had worse.”

Sunset suggested as she prepared to walk on her two new feet, “Let’s try to master the art of walking on two legs before we do anything.” She put one foot in the air, but felt like she was wobbling already. She yelped as she tried to walk, “Whoa…Whoa!”

Just then, Discord had a photographer’s camera and took pictures of Sunset every few seconds. He smiled, “Go, girl! Go, girl! Work it! Nice little pose there!”

Sunset growled, “Discord, stop it! It’s not easy walking on two le…”

She felt herself toppling and would’ve fallen if her twin sister hadn’t outstretched her hands and caught her sister in a magical aura. Everyone was agape seeing this happen.

Sunset asked in a stunned tone, “Twilight, how did you…?”

Twilight stammered, “I…I don’t know!” When she turned her palms toward her, the aura disappeared and Sunset fell to the ground with an “Oof!” Twilight said, “I don’t have my horn, so how is it possible?”

Discord, also shocked, sputtered, “I have no idea! Usually, I’m the one who does magic with my hands! How is it that you…?”

Sunset suggested, “Maybe it’s because the woods are affecting our magic. It’s happened before, remember? Maybe Twilight’s magic is so strong that it needed another outlet, like her hands.”

Twilight said, “Well, whatever’s happening, I do not want to be like this longer than I have to.”

Rarity said, “I quite agree. These new appendages are…not the norm for us.”

Pinkie said as she pulled her own fingers, “I could get used to this!”

Fluttershy said her husband, “Okay, honey. You had your fun. Now please turn us-“

Suddenly, Cheese ran up to them and cried, “The gold diggers are coming! The gold diggers are coming!” He skidded to a stop and looked with wide eyes at the transformed royals. “Whoa! What happened to you?”

Pinkie waved cheerfully, “Hi, Cheesy!”

He yelped before he looked closer and asked, “Pinkie? Is that you?”

“Uh-huh. You like my new look?”

“Uh…It’s…it’s…you?”

Rainbow interrupted, “All right. Enough with the flirting. You were saying about the gold diggers, Cheese?”

“Oh, right! Caballeron and his henchies are coming this way! In fact, they’re close to the camp right now!”

Discord told Fluttershy, “Sorry, my dearest. It’s time for you and your sisters to put on a show.”


At the camp courtyard, Daring Do and Quibble Pants stood their ground as they waited for Caballeron to make his appearance.

Quibble told his marefriend, “Dare, if it all goes down in flames, I want you to know that I love you.”

She grabbed his hoof and responded, “I know.”

Their romantic moment was short-lived when a familiar cackle cut through the air. They turned to see their arch-nemesis entering the camp with his henchponies.

Caballeron said with a malicious smile, “Well, well, well, Ms. Do. I expected to find you here…” He then chuckled, “…but it surprises me that he’s here with you.”

Quibble scowled, “I made the mistake of leaving her side once. That’s something I’ll never do again.”

Caballeron mocked, “How romantic, but too mushy for my tastes. Give us the geodes and we’ll leave you two lovebirds to live another day.”

Daring Do said, “I may not have them, but you’re sure not going to get them!”

“Brave words, but futile. Henchponies, grab-“

He was interrupted by an eerie howling. Shivers went up the henchponies’ spines and Caballeron’s fear slowly crept in. Still, he kept a straight face and demanded in a soft voice, “What is that?!”

Daring Do and Quibble stood by each other as their eyes darted around nervously. The Pegasus looked decidedly calmer than her companion, who started shaking. Daring then said, “They might be Timberwolves.”

“Timberwolves? Ha! No pony or animal is going to keep me from obtaining the magical geodes!”

Suddenly, a strange creature burst from the brush and snarled at them. This was anything unlike Caballeron had seen before. Its skin was the color of light amber and it had red and yellow stripes in its long hair. It bared its sharp teeth at them and its claws were ready to slash at something. Caballeron and his gang gave frightened screams and ran off. The monster chased after them before they ran into six more monsters like the one behind them. When the creatures gave menacing growls, the treasure hunters ran the other way. Unfortunately for them, they ran into yet another monster, this time with blue hair and pale, light grayish amber skin.

“No! Don’t eat us!” Quibble cried as five of the monsters surrounded him and Daring Do.

Caballeron and his henchies watched in horror as the monsters huddled together to munch on the two. At that moment, Daring Do grabbed her companion and said, “Hang on!”

In a split-second, Daring took to the air and landed on a treetop with Quibble.

When the creatures started crowding Caballeron and his henchponies, he called out to Daring Do, “You haven’t seen the last of me! We will meet again!” Without another word, he and his gang ran off.

The creatures just stood there until a laughing Discord came out of the brush with a camera and chuckled, “Oh, this will make a great memory to remember! I’m glad I got it all with this baby.”

Sunset spat out her fake fangs and said, “Gotta hand it to you, Discord. This was a brilliant plan.”

Discord said proudly, “Thank you. I do have quite the brains, don’t I?”

Just then, Daring Do lowered Quibble onto the ground as the Earth pony remarked, “Heh-heh. We sure got them good.”

Daring said, “The way Caballeron and his guys were running off, they probably won’t come back to Splendor Woods for about a year!”

Applejack said to Discord, “All right, Discord. You can change us back now.”

Her brother-in-law said as he cracked his fingers, “Okay. Here goes nothing.” He snapped his fingers, but there was only a fizzle. In growing panic, he snapped his fingers on both hands and even an artificial one on his tail. “Uh-oh.”

Sunset asked in concern, “’Uh-oh’ what?”

“When I said ‘Here goes nothing’, it was literally.”

Author's Note:

Yes, CartoonNerd12 contributed many lines to this chapter and a plot twist to the rest of the story. The end of the chapter is that plot twist.
I thought this was a good place to leave a cliffhanger, just to drive you mad. *evil cackle* I’m just kidding. I’ll have the next chapter out soon anyway, so I won’t keep you waiting for long.