• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 443 Views, 2 Comments

Guards: The untold story - Joseph_Tanner



Guards, soldiers, the brave ones who stand tall to protect ths kingdom and the sisters... Many wonder what their life is like. Now Mithril Blaze will give us a peek,

  • ...
 2
 443

Chapter 6: "I hope you die in a fire"

[Thursday]

Blaze woke up confused. He didn’t know what had happened, but just seconds later he had other things to worry about, such questions as. Why can’t I see anything? Why don’t I feel my limbs? Why can’t I move? He soon found out why.

“50 more cc’s of adrenaline…” He heard a male voice say.

Am I… In a hospital? What the buck happened? He wondered.

“Heartbeat rocketing…” A nurse exclaimed, as Blaze heard an ECG unit beep faster and faster. (Electrocardiograph). Blaze felt something stinging, he found out it must have been a needle. He began to calm down, knowing he’s in a good place, though he was running out of patience lying on the table.

“Celestia have mercy… Look at this…” The doctor said. The next thing Blaze heard was a nurse gasp, followed by a loud thud. The doctor has dropped something heavy onto one of the side trays.

“Uhm… Doc?”

“What?”

“Readings show an increased amount of adrenaline. It’s natural generation has increased… The patient is awoken and aware…” A nurse warned him.

“Inject a double dosage of sedatives.”

“Are you sure it’s a double?”

“He’s from the Royal Guard. His system needs more, it’s stronger than that of an average pony,” The doctor explained. The nurse did as told to, and soon Blaze blacked out again. He woke up in a Canterlot hospital, he felt his limbs as if they were made of lead. He looked at the ceiling, then at himself… They were… Well, his limbs were replaced with steel replacements.

“WHAT THE BUCK?!” He didn’t know what he was. Pissed? Grateful for the doctors not leaving him as he was? Shocked? Just as he was starting to get used to the news, he heard a familiar voice.

“Glad to see you’re alive at last…” Shadow greeted him.

“How long have yo-” Blaze stopped. He was surprised to see Shadow in his usual part of the room.

“What? You thought I was going to miss a reason to see you again?” Shadow greeted him.

“W-What happened?” Blaze wondered.

“Easy now. You’re fine at least. Now… The doctors asked me to tell you a few things…” His visitor said as he stood down by his bed. “But honestly, did you expect me to remember a long-ass speech they came up with? I’ll get to the point…”

“Are the others okay? Did… Did we win?”

“First of all… You were crushed by a rock launched from a catapult. If it wasn’t for a classmate of yours, you would not be here right now…”

“Who was it?” Blaze wondered.

“A Unicorn… You must know from that…”

Comet… I’ll have to thank her… “Yes, go on,”

“How she saved you I don’t know, but she might explain if you ask… Your classmates are live and well… Better than you are anyway. All except for one…”

“Oh, no… Who is it?” Blaze asked.

“A Pegasus colt. His name was that of a metal and something only Pegasus ponies have,”

“Silver Feather?” Shadow nodded. “Huh, how did he go?”

“It is best I tell you later… For now we have to make su-”

“HOW DID HE DIE?!” Blaze yelled. Shadow threw himself at Blaze, pinning him to his bed.

“Yell at me one more time and I’ll make sure Cobalt saved you in vain. Understood?” Shadow asked. Blaze only nodded. “Get out of the bed, and try walking usually,” Shadow said to him.

“Well, if you’re the tough guy, why weren’t YOU there at the camp?”

“You know, I came here to help you as a friend, because I wanted to. Not because of an order. You either do what I say, or you can figure out everything on your own,”

“Okay… Okay…” Blaze got out of his bed and stood on all fours as usual. “They feel heavy…”

“See if you can walk,”

“Yep, sure seem so…”

“Now rise to your hind legs,”

“What?”

“Do it. They told me you should be able to do it,”

Blaze did as told to, and slowly, but surely he rose to his hind legs, somehow keeping his balance was easier than when he tried the same before. “How is this…”

“They literally gave you a new spine. This one is more functional for this…”

So that’s what the doc threw onto the tray… “And what are these smaller plates?”

“On your forehooves? Go ahead, here’s my halberd. Try to hold it at first,” Shadow offered.

“Sure. If you can pass it over,”

“Nope, you’re going to come over here for it and take it… You need to learn the basics…”

“When the heck am I going to need all this?”

“You have no idea what you’re thinking of passing up. Do you even know how much you can do with what you’re given? You could be the most efficient and most deadly one of all the Royal Guard! And you’re going to just keep acting like nothing happened?!”

*Sigh* “Fine. You convinced me…” Blaze said, and the two spent the rest of the day training him.

[Friday]

“Thanks for that… I can’t wait to get back to the others…” Blaze exclaimed, after finishing their practice.

“Now that we’re done… You may now know how Silver died, that is if you still want to…” Shadow reminded him.

“I do,”

“You know. You were outnumbered, so you had to call a retreat. Quite a few had died, trainees and veterans alike. Obviously, this means there were more groups of trainees than just yours. Now… Silver’s case was different... “

“What happened?”

“By the time we got there some survivors were taken hostage… They told us to back off and leave, or else the hostages would be killed. Mainly our task was to save as many of you as we could, so we agreed to leave, but only if they release the prisoners…”

“And what happened?”

“They said they would release them after we left to make sure we hold our word, so…”

“So you…?”

“Before we could reply most of the hostages replied before us… They acted like just what they were… Soldiers… They insisted that they would not be released, then began to sing our anthem…”

“What happened? Damn it!”

“They were bound in ropes and chains… Unicorns had their horns broken off, Pegasi were de-winged… They were burned alive at the spot, in front of our eyes…”

“What?! And you just stood there and watched?!”

“You know what was the worst part about it? Not a single one of them made one damn sound… Not a grunt, not a moan… They took it like nopony could, and went down like true heroes, Blaze…”

“Do I have to ask again?”

“Would YOU deny your comrade the death of a hero? Would you deny them a soldier’s greatest honor?”

“You’re right… Why was Silver’s death different though?”

“He was killed AFTER the others. They made his watch the others, making sure he knows what’s going to happen to him soon enough.”

“Thanks again… I have a few Griffons to drive into extinction…” Blaze said, turning to leave.

“Do what you feel right… As long as you and I don’t meet on opposing sides.” Shadow warned him before letting him go. Blaze made his way back to the barracks, where he found his classmates having another class. As soon as they saw him they stopped right away. He could clearly see both relief and concern on their faces, even on that Onyx as they drew closer to him. After assuring them he was well enough to continue, he joined the class.

“So… Comet?”

“Yes?”

“Somepony once told me..." The world was gonna row me "I have something to thank you for,"

“Not for the basics…”

“How exactly did it happen?”

“We were told to retreat. We did so. We set up camp further from the town, out of their range. I insisted I go out for you, because we noticed your absence…” Comet explained.

“Indeed she insisted. She came back half dead with your on her back… I asked her what is was good for… Guess what she said.” The General continued.

“What?” Blaze wondered.

“When she came back we weren’t sure you’d make it so… I’ll let her say what she did back then,”

“He would’ve came back for me too,” She exclaimed.

“I owe you one. You know that, right?” Blaze inquired.

Comet only nodded, as they continued their class. After a long day, Blaze was tired, yet in the heavens to see his sister once again in their room… The instant he opened the door their eyes met, unsure what to do next. Before he could take two steps in he found himself forced against the wall… Blossom’s unforgiving hug was a bit stronger than intended, but none of them bothered. The two stayed in that position, until Blaze felt something warm make its way down him… His sister’s tears.

“Big… Brother…” She muttered.

Blaze only petted the back of her head repeatedly. “It’s okay sis… It’s okay… I’m here…” He tried assuring her, even tho his face was anything but dry… This was also when he noticed something he was not expecting. He could feel the back of her head, even tho his hooves were artificial… I’ll just ask the sisters… Or Shadow… Or the docs… Never mind… Their reunion was cut short when their stomachs chose to let them know about their natural needs… They thought best not to keep either the sisters or the cooks waiting. At dinner Blaze explained everything to the sisters as well, providing a lengthy enough topic…

Need I even say what usually happens after dinner?

[Saturday]

The next morning the two woke up at the same time, even tho both of them had the weekend free. Before Blossom could come up with something interesting for them to do, Blaze left the room without a word, and headed straight to the throne room. “Good morning, Blaze…” Celestia greeted him.

“I wish you the same,” He replied.

“Why is it that you wish to talk to us?” Luna pondered.

“I have come up with an idea, one I’m sure my comrades would agree on.”

“Let us hear then,”

“With your permission, I would gather those of the Royal Guard who wish to seek retribution for those who weren’t as lucky as I was… Especially the prisoners…” Blaze explained his idea, looking at Luna all along, who had received the reports about their inhumane demise, but hadn’t informed her sister.

“What exactly do you intend?” Luna wondered, understanding him.

“Go to the nearest Griffon populated town, and kill every single adult male,”

“You’re straight to the point with it I see… Very well, I approve of it,” Celestia replied.

“As long as they join you by their own will, so do I.” Luna continued.

“Then if you allow, I shall leave…” Blaze said, slowly backing away, eventually leaving the room. He rushed over to the General to put his plan into motion. By noon the volunteers rallied, and by dusk they returned from their slaughter. The troops went to mind their business, while Blaze dragged a bound prisoner after himself into the throne room, where he met the sisters, and Blossom.

The moment he dragged the prisoner in, Luna knew what he’s about. “Why do I have a feeling I know why…” She commented.

“What’s this?” Celestia and Blossom wondered.

“Have you told them about ours?” Blaze asked from Luna, who only shook her head in response. “Celestia, this is what THEY did to OURS when they were taken prisoners…” Blaze explained, and with a single spark spell set the fire to grow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the flames died down both Celestia and Blossom were appalled. Celestia for the Griffons, Blossom about her sibling. “I must apologize for putting you through that, but at last, now you know what your subjects endured for you,” He ended his speech, and with a flash of magic, the corpse, ashes and even the smell disappeared. “Have you got anything, or may I leave?” Celestia nodded, so he left, but not without his sister’s company. “Don’t even get me started…” He said before she could question if they were right or not to do what they had done.

“No… They deserved it… We have to set an example after all…” Blaze was surprised and worried for her… He was not in an average state of mind when he thought of it, while she casually agreed with him as if it was just that. Casual to her… None the less, they spent the rest of the weekend together, knowing their next week could only be worse.

[End of Chapter 6]