• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 445 Views, 2 Comments

Guards: The untold story - Joseph_Tanner



Guards, soldiers, the brave ones who stand tall to protect ths kingdom and the sisters... Many wonder what their life is like. Now Mithril Blaze will give us a peek,

  • ...
 2
 445

Chapter 15

Blaze remembered Sonis’ message, so he rushed to see her again, Blossom by his side. She didn’t seem too bothered by her wounds. They soon found her with the sisters. “She was just asking. There is a ship waiting for you,” Celestia informed them. The trio headed for the train station, and by dusk, they set sail. By noon, they arrived to the small settlement Blaze first set hoof in. The citizens recognized him right away. The mayor arrived in no time.

“May I be of service, my liege?” She asked.

“I’m no royalty, but am headed to hear them out,” He replied.

“I trust your partner shall accompany you and your friend,” The major replied, and bid farewell as the trio continued on their way to the capital. By dusk, they arrived. The guards at the castle stopped them, but only for a greeting. They hurried to the throne room, Blaze carried his rifle in hand all along.

“I was worried you wouldn’t show up. It’s been half a week,” Sigmis greeted them. “Come, we need talk,” He continued. The trio joined them, only to receive a visitor. A female Centaur, a single crown adorning her head. No weapons, no armor, no guards, no servants. Herself and her crown, accompanied by two Turul guards.

Blaze growled, impatient about the situation. The guards turned around and left the room, the door shut behind her. “Blaze, this is Princess Maxine, the last of the Centaur royal bloodline…” Avala introduced her.

Maxine approached Blaze, and respectfully held out a hand. “I heard things about you, both good and bad,” She exclaimed.

“No, thanks,” Blaze replied, refusing her greeting. “Why exactly did I spend 2 days walking with my injured sister again?” He asked from the twins.

“She came here to let us know that they are not extinct. She offered us to take her life, but let her people live,” Sigmis explained. “Avala chose to take hers, I didn’t. We trust you to decide,” He continued.

Blaze set his rifle to safety and drew a knife. “Gladly,” He replied. He took a step toward her, but the hand in which he held the knife wouldn’t follow. Blossom had hung onto it, pulling with all her strength. “What?” He asked.

“Come on, big brother!” She replied, her face showed both stress, pain, and sorrow.

Blaze sighed, and put his blade away. “I’m sorry… It’s just… Things were going out of control lately…” He apologized to all present, then gathered closer into a circle.

“What happened?” Maxine asked, trying to break the ice.

“Avala, Sigmis. Do you remember the colt who triggered the alarm?” Blaze asked.

“The first Night Guard to come see you? We sure do. How is he?” Sigmis replied.

“Turns out he wasn’t so much of a friend as we thought,” Blaze threw back.

“Oh?” Avala dropped in.

“He hurt my sister, tried to kill her, and kicked my ass too. I got him back for it. Ripped his limbs off and took his head myself… I got his rank, because of the traditions…” He exclaimed.

“Oh… Sounds bad…” Maxine threw in.

“So, what does that make you?” Avala asked, trying to cheer him up.

“First Lieutenant of the Night Guard,” Blaze replied. Maxine only flinched hearing it.

“So why the long face?” Sigmis asked.

“I didn’t ask Sonis to come, I suppose she wanted to,” Blaze replied, looking at said bird. She only nodded with a smile. “I didn’t ask my sister either… I just thought she would enjoy the scenery… I’m sorry, sis,” He continued. Blossom threw herself at him with a hug. Blaze felt forgiven, but embarrassed at the same time. He was a high ranked military and government official after all.

“Family first…” Maxine muttered. Her previous grin lied shattered on the floor, at which she gazed to willingly.

How the fuck could I bring up this topic?! I AM THE ONE WHO KILLED HER FAMILY! And then I have the nerve to bring mine along… Blaze blamed himself from then on. “I-I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to bring the topic up, an-”

“No… No… You know what? Fine. You won’t hear from us again, that I can promise,” Maxine replied, and left in a hurry. Blaze wanted to go after her, but Sigmis grabbed his shoulder.

“No… Give her time…” Blaze jolted free and ran after her. It didn’t help, Maxine ran on 4 legs, Blaze was no longer used to running on all fours, but managed to keep the pace up.

“Catch her for fuck sake!” He yelled. A dozen of guards joined in, finally getting her.

“LEt… Me, go. You damn…” She muttered, struggling in vain to be free.

“Look, are you willing to listen to me?” Blaze asked.

“So you can rub you killing my family in my face even more? No thanks!”

Blaze clenched his left hand into a fist. “I was doing my job, If YOUR parents and brother would’ve just sit on their asses they would be just fine!” He replied.

Maxine spat him in the face. Being the second time he got spat on her lost his temper.

“You piece of shit,” He said. He threw a single punch, a right hook. He didn’t only knock her out of the guards’ hold, but her crown flew off her head, landing with a loud clank and rolled on the cold tile floor. “Do you even know what I went through?!” He asked, barely holding himself back from another hit. The guards hurried to scrape her off the floor. She only coughed in response. “I took a spear through the chest by a Griffon. Got crushed by a catapult. Abandoned at birth by my parents. Left my sister behind when she needed me the most. Came here, worked my guts out, risked my life to stop YOUR hyperactive relatives. I got betrayed by a friend I thought was close, my sister almost died, and now YOU give me shit for doing my job?!” He asked, trying to calm himself. He signaled the guards to let her free, while he fixed her bent crown, standing before her with a held out hand, her crown in it. She looked at him with tears in her eyes, but not from the pain. Her left cheek had swollen up from the hit.

“Y-You’re right… I’m sorry… Th-This is exactly the mistake my parents made… They didn’t care about others…” She replied, accepting his hand. The guards returned to their shift, while the two walked back to the throne room. On their way, Blaze fixed her swell with a spell. (That rhymed… Kinda… Did it?)

“I see you two found a common ground,” Avala greeted them.

“And so we did,” Maxine replied.

“I vouch we accept their terms. We let them live, they let us. Give them a fresh start. Perhaps they too will make great allies to your kind,” Blaze told the twins.

“I believe we are free to offer a peace treaty in this case,” Sigmis threw in.

“I’m in,” Maxine said.

“Make it a three parter,” Blaze replied.

The treaty was written, and before signing it, they stopped to talk. “We, King and Queen Sigmis and Avala hereby agree the treaty on behalf of Tuvale Basin,” They said in unison.

“I, Maxine, the last descendant of the Centaur royalty, for the benefit of my people sign the treaty in hope of forgiveness,” She exclaimed.

“I, First Lieutenant Mithril Blaze, officer of the Equestrian Night Guard, on behalf of Princesses Celestia and Luna am in the freedom to sign the treaty. May it live as long as nothing before,” He said, holding out a hand above the parchment. Maxine put hers onto his, the twins joined.

“In the presence of two witnesses, the Eternal Union has been formed,” Said Avala, hinting at Sonis and Blossom. Blaze used a spell to make copies of it. One was given to Maxine, Blaze had took the other copy with himself.

“Is this all you needed me for?” Blaze asked.

“All we needed. You are welcome to stay as long you desire,” Sigmis reminded him.

“I’m grateful for the invitation and opportunity. However, we must return now,” Blaze replied.

“Your highness?” Sonis asked out of nowhere.

“Yes?” Avala asked.

“It would be an honor if I was allowed to live by the Chosen of the skies. With permission from you all, I would join them,” She explained. The twins approved.

Blaze and Blossom swapped glances and looked back with a grin. “We can fit one more bed into the room,” Blossom replied.

“I’m looking forward to fight by your sides, twins, Blaze,” Maxine said before the trio teleported back. This time Blaze had enough energy to pull the spell off, since he got way stronger by all means with the promotion. It even included a whole lot of knowledge.

In seconds they found themselves in their room. It was a bad timing for Daar and Blaze to meet, but had to come one day regardless. “I… I take that you must be Daar,” Blaze said.

“The one and unfortunate,” He replied, holding a hoof for a bump.

Blaze bumped it with his. “Heard about you. Listen, you know why I wr-”

“I do, I do… I know, I don’t blame you. Nice to finally see you face to face,” Daar cut him off.

The females silently left the room and let them talk. “So, when is the wedding?” Blaze asked with a grin.

Daar knew it was a joke. “Tomorrow?” He replied.

“So, what do you plan? Have you come up with anything? Any plans?” Blaze wondered. “Hey, I won’t tell her a single word. Be honest,”

“I don’t know, man… I’m actually scared shitless that I screw up and get you after me…”

“Come on. If you don’t cheat on her, you’ll be fine. If you break up, make it gentle,”

“Fine? Like the Lieutenant ended up? Yeah, I see what you did there,”

“On the other side, would you not want a brother in law who has connections?” Blaze asked with a grin.

Daar sighed. “The only reason I’m with the is because I really do love her,”

“I believe you. Listen, if you want children, I don’t mind. As long as you don’t go too much into detail on the how to s,”

“I got it, boss,” Daar replied with a grin.

“So, how’s the workshop going?”

“Pretty well. How do you know?”

Blaze pointed at his rank insignia. “The walls have ears too,” He replied with a grin.

“I see, I see. Well, Congrats on your career. I have to go, someone must keep an eye on the employees,” Daar replied, bidding farewell.

[2 years later] (After season 5)

Blaze was in their room, sitting at his bed. His whole body made of the plates which served as protection. He had undergone the surgery he signed blindly as well. His bones replaced by Celestium rods, his swords from the twins remained. His guns taken, as he was granted arcane access to the whole arsenal. He looked to the side, his old trainee’s armor rested untouched since the day he met Sigmis. At this time, he was 28 years of age. He walked up to the armor stand, the bright golden tinted helmet in his grasp made was in contrast with his dark plated body, made of Nightmarium (Alloy, made of Lunite and Celestium). The light shining through the window reflected off the helmet, and Blaze saw himself in it. His first day with the guys, the General, those who had fallen, Shadow… His trip down memory lane was interrupted by knocking on the door. He went to answer it. It was Blossom and Daar. “Why the knock? It’s as much yours as it is mine,” He said to them, letting them enter. The pair trotted into the room and sat down. “What’s the long face?” Blaze asked.

“We… We made a huge decision, big brother…” Blossom replied.

“Oh?”

“We’re getting married next week,” Daar continued.

Blaze jumped at his sibling, pulling her into a hug. “Look at you, sis… That fragile little flower grew into such a glooming rose…” She blushed in reply. “Come on, get in here… Give me a hug, brother in law,” He said to Daar, who didn’t resist.

“I’m glad you take it so well,” Blossom said. She wore her usual work attire. She had graduated from Celestia’s school and finished several quick courses at universities. As for Daar, he gathered nothing but dust and age, which was hard to spot on him.

The trumpets began to play, and Blaze had to left. “See you two soon,” He said, and ran to the event he had almost missed. The troops were gathered, first the Royal Guard’s reserves, then the lower ranked to highest, and after them came those on duty that day. Their shift was taken by the Night Guard for the day.

“Ladies and Gentlecolts,” Said an announcer. “It is my honor to present to you your superiors in person, for whom you fight till you live, and had sworn to defend....” The announcer continued. Four Alicorn Princesses and a Unicorn walked into front of them, whom all had saluted, behind the fourth stood two Earth pony, two Pegasi, and a Unicorn: The elements of harmony. “Soldiers, please welcome your highest ranked comrades, those who one day stood where you are now,” After that, Blaze, Onyx, and Crimson walked up to the royals. After a salute, Gen.Onyx was the first to greet them with a hoof shake, then came Crimson and Blaze at last. Celestia was the first he saluted.

“You’ve grown so much in our eyes…” She said in reply.

Then Blaze went to Luna. “Call Blossom after we’re done here. We have something to tell you,” She exclaimed. Next was Cadence.

“The pleasure is mine,” She said with a grin.

“Good to have a friend like you,” Prince Shining Armor said.

At last, Twilight and the elements. Blaze stood in front of her, the two knew one another for a while, yet it was the first time Blaze saw her with wings. He saluted her as much as the others. “I’m looking forward to work with you, Princess,” He said jokingly.

After the greetings were done, the royal sisters took on. “Soldiers, Royal Guard. Hereby we announce the reformation of our entire military system. You will be required to have these limbs installed in order to continue your career, or you will be dismissed,” While Celestia said so, Crimson stood beside her to demonstrate said limbs.

“They are installed painlessly and will serve as your hooves and hands. You will also receive an enhanced spine, something which was experimented for a while. After observing the performance of my comrade, Major General Mithril Blaze, it has been decided that the program will begin next week. You have 6 days to decide,” She continued.

“For further questions, step forward now. Give us your name, rank, addressed official and question,” Gen.Onyx spoke up. The Senior Officers stood closest to them, but only a few had questions. A colt stepped forward.

“Eye Storm, Warrant officer, Major General Blaze. What are your opinions on this program?” Asked the colt.

“I admit, it is the first time I hear about it. However, I can’t wait to see you become more powerful defenders of our homeland,” He replied.

A mare took his place. “Amethyst Rain, Lance corporal, Princess Twilight. What are your experiences with the Night Guard?”

“Please refrain to questions with the program. Thank you,” She replied. Nopony had any questions left. Blaze left to get Blossom, and went to the throne room. The guests too were present. Even Sonis was there.

“Ah, come, come…” Luna said as a greeting. The trio drew closer, and those present gathered in a circle.

“We have to tell your your origin. Blaze, Blossom… Your parents did not abandon you,” Celestia began the tale.

“What?” The siblings asked in surprise. “What happened then?” Blossom asked.

“I had a feeling you were hiding something,” Blaze noted.

“Your father, Ardent Blaze served in the Royal Guard. He was a loyal and trustworthy pony. However, as General Onyx has told you, the higher your rank, the higher risk you are at. He too knew it well, yet he kept working. That is what caused his demise,” Celestia continued.

“But… What about mother?” Blossom asked. Blaze was staring blank at the ground. His mother’s words echoing in his head.

“You will know when you get older,”

“She… She couldn’t take it… Every time she looked at you, you reminded her of him…” Luna said to Blaze.

“Wait. Where was I?” Blossom asked.

“Unborn yet. While I altered your memory, Luna helped her give birth to you and aged you both,” Celestia explained.

The siblings took it hard… Blaze facepalmed, swiping away any escaped tears, while Blossom just teared up. Twilight, the elements, Cadence, Armor and Sonis left the room, leaving the four inside. “He was right…” Blaze muttered.

“What?” Celestia asked.

“Shadow was right! You DID lie to me!” Blaze yelled, a stomp cracking the floor beneath.

“Behave yourself. We did what we found best for you. You have to understand,” Luna replied.

“Why not let US tell what’s best of us? Is freedom so much to ask for?” He asked.

“We promised her we would raise you like our own…” Celestia replied.

“Well… Thanks for telling us,” Blossom said, and the two left.

Returning to their room they sat onto their beds. Blaze buried his face into his hands. He sat there, not making a single sound, while Blossom tried to cheer him up. “Sis. Not now. Please,” He said, leaving the room. Blossom sat still. She too was confused and unsure. She looked across the room, clearly divided into two parts by an undrawn line. On the right was her and Daar’s bed, the wall adorned by her prizes she had won on studies and such. The left was Blaze and Sonis’ bed. The wall was plain bricks, not much decoration. His old armor, a few medals, and some of Sonis’ belongings. She stood up from her bed and walked over to the armor stand.

She stopped to think back. She could see her sibling full flesh and blood, standing in front of him. His armor the brightest shade of gold. She could see him smile and salute, like on his first day. “I wish I could turn back time… To the good old days…” She muttered. She walked over to her side, in front of her large mirror. Just what could he had seen? I’ve never asked what he’s been through… He gave his whole body for the nation… The sisters… For me… I never thanked him… She thought, then suddenly felt a hoof on her shoulder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blaze made his way into the Canterlot graveyard. In there, the graves of his fallen friends: Cobalt and Silver. Their graves were put next to each other, facing the fence of the graveyard. Blaze stood there as it began to rain. Could I have saved them? Did I try hard enough? He asked himself while staring blank. No, I didn’t… He came to the conclusion, as he sat down, his back against the back of Silver’s headstone. “I’ve got your backs now, guys…” He muttered, as the rain mixed in with his tears. He laid there for a while, then stood up. Taking some distance from the graves, he reached out with his left hand. “Thou, who lies in stone and clay… Heed my call, rise and obey [...]”

A hoof reached out from underneath both graves. Flesh, skin and fur perfectly covering them.

"Celestia have mercy..." A colt said in shock, paralized from what he saw.

[End of Chapter 15]