• Published 3rd Oct 2016
  • 436 Views, 3 Comments

Tides of the Past - King-Mac-13



This is a story of returns. The past will always find a way back to our present. And sometimes, they are not what we expect from them.

  • ...
3
 3
 436

Low Tide

Author's Note:

King: Fillies, gentle-colts, and that technicolor rainbow in-between, I am King-Mac-13. First, I want to address that this story was originally published on fanfiction.net under the name King-Mac-11. I didn't know this was a thing... and when I did there was a lapse in the technology and I had to change the name. So... here it is. Enjoy.

What more needs to be said?
Well… a lot, actually. How can I begin with it all? How would anyone believe me? But… perhaps… I don’t have a choice. Perhaps, if I just tell Celestia…
No! I can’t let anyone know about this. What I’ve found locked away in that place… it has to stay that way. No one can know about this.
I’ve seen what’s beyond that thing… it must never be let free!
-Starswirl the Bearded

A note from the most powerful unicorn in history, hidden away. But where would he have hidden such a thing, and why? None of that is important, though. What is important is that it was found.
/\

Spike made a habit to clean the main room whenever he got the chance. Though, really, it was just the seats and map. The whole room would take way too long. He made his way to the center of the room and got ready to tackle a new challenge, the chandelier. Would you call it a chandelier, though? Close enough. He got a ladder and climbed to the roots of the old library and started to polish the memory crystals and ensure the wood remained strong. He started to make his way to the top when something caught his eye. A small scroll seemingly a part of the root. Others might not notice, but having lived in the tree these roots once nurtured, he could see the difference. He etched out the area around the scroll and removed it before returning to the ground level. “When did this get here?”

“Spike?” The sound of Twilight entering the room caught the young dragon’s attention. “What are you doing?”

“I was going to clean up the chandelier, when I found this scroll in the roots.”

“Wait, in the roots?”

“Yeah. Like it was just part of the tree.”

“Let me see it.” She used her magic to pull the scroll toward her and started to read it. “What more needs to be said…” When she finished it, surprise was an understatement. This then led to what some call, going full fangirl. “Starswirl the Bearded?! Oh my gosh! This is amazing! A hidden notation from the greatest unicorn magician of all time! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh! My! Gosh!”

“Twilight…”

“What?”

“Um… don’t you think what he was talking about in the letter was important?”

“Well, obviously. It’s from Starswirl the Bearded!”

“Then why would he hide something he didn’t want anyone to find? Why not destroy it?”

“Spike… didn’t you read the book obscure unicorn history by now?”

“Uh…”

“Anyway, Starswirl used a special paper that was basically indestructible. He wanted his work to last for as long possible.”

“Oh… right…”

“Anyway, I do wonder what he was talking about in the letter…”

“Well, he didn’t want it to be found.”

“I know. But what if this is something really big? What if it’s something with a friendship problem?”

“Too bad we’ll never know.” Spike left the room with that said.

He had no idea what he started. “Maybe we can find out.” She moved to the map and placed the scroll on one side. She used one of Starswirl’s spells to try to incite a reaction. Thankfully, it seemed to have worked. A symbol of a star and bells flew up from the scroll and fell on the map. It showed a location to the Northeast of Equestria. “That must be it.” A plan hatched in her mind. Her curiosity peaked. She wanted to follow the trail like a scavenger hunt. To find the thing that Starswirl had hidden.
\/

Twilight made her way to the Northeast of Equestria. She told her friends it was a study trip and invited them along. Everyone had something to do, so Twilight was alone for this one. After a few days on the train and another hour of flying, she reached the destination on the map. It was… a cave. Seriously? She wondered in. She wasn’t turning around now.

As she entered, she found that the cavern within had a series of holes to the surface, allowing for a constant flow of fresh air. She made her way farther into the caves, eventually finding a fork in the caves. The path to the right was partially collapsed while the other was narrower, but likely more stable. She took a deep breath and used her magic to find the thing Starswirl talked about. She hoped there was magic within. She was lucky there was.
She followed the magic down the left path and found herself in the presence of a large cavern with what looked like a series of prison bars on one of the walls. She walked in and observed the room. The ceiling was practically non-existent, having a multitude of large holes to the surface. The walls seemed to have once been cut, but have since eroded to form the cavern as it is now. Twilight made her way to the bars and started to hear a voice from the prison.

“How long has it been? What’s happened on the surface without me? I want to know what has become of the world…” The voice paused before bellowing out, “Who’s there?!”

Twilight jumped a bit before moving closer. “Um… I’m sorry. But who are you?”

A steel grey pony with an ocean blue mane and dichromatic eyes approached the bars from within. His appearance was disheveled and really hammered home the idea that he was a trapped prisoner. His yellow right eye and white left eye with black sclera made it feel like he could stare into the very soul. “If I recall, I asked your identity first. Barring that, it is customary to introduce oneself before asking another’s name.”

“Uh…” Twilight shook her head and gathered herself again. “I’m Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship.”

“That’s a new one. I seem to have missed quite a bit.”

“And… your name?”

The prisoner took a deep breath. “My name was taken from me when I was imprisoned and lost in the waters of time, even to me…”

“How long have you been here?”

“I don’t know. Long enough to have gone insane and got bored with it.”

“Wait. You came to your senses… because you got bored with insanity? I don’t think it works like that.”

“There are a lot of things that don’t seem to make sense, yet are indeed fact. From what I see, you are one such being.”

“What?”

“In my era, your kind were practically non-existent.”

“You come from a time before alicorns?”

“Older than any that still walk upon this world…”

“Oh, wow! This is incredible! A real being from before Equestria! I have so many questions!”

The prisoner rolled his eyes and spoke with a sour, sarcastic tone. “Yes. Because this is how I wanted to send my days… as a glorified museum piece.”

“Oh! Sorry, but… I don’t know if I should let you out. Why were you imprisoned?”

“Circumstance. A trio of sirens tried to take negative energy from me -I was an angry being back then- and I chased after them. I caught them and… I think I’ll leave out the next part. The important part is that I destroyed a number of pony lands in the process. Eventually, they got some wizards together and sealed me away. I understand why they did it, but it would seem that they forgot the whole release-after-having-served-my-time thing. So, I’ve been here ever since.”

“Huh…” Twilight looked over the cell bars and found a magic lock. “If I let you out, do you promise not to hurt anyone?”

The prisoner paused a moment. “Wait. What?”

“If I let you out… do you promise not to hurt anyone?”

“Oh… yeah! I’ll promise! Just let me out!”

Twilight reared her head back and prepared her magic.

“WAIT!”

Twilight jumped and lost her concentration. “What?”

“Sorry. I need to let out some energy before I leave. You see, I gain powers from sunlight and I haven’t had an outlet for a while. Now. Just a moment, please.” He leaned a bit and took two very deep breaths. “Okay!” He jumped up and slammed into the ceiling before, literally, bouncing off the walls. He had become a grey and blue blur and he released the power stored away. After a few minutes, he landed back on his feet and shook a bit. “Okay. I’m done.”

Twilight was stunned, but quickly recovered having dealt with Pinkie Pie. She readied her magic and released the lock. “Okay. You’re good.”

The Prisoner stepped out of the cell and stretched. “Thank you, young one.”

“I still have questions I’d like you to answer.”

“Of course. We can talk on the way. I’d like to get out of this cave if it’s all the same.”

“That makes sense.”
\/

The two left the caves and the prisoner stretched and took a deep breath again. “Fresh air… truly fresh air! It’s so nice after so long.”

Twilight couldn’t help but laugh. But at the same time, she kind of felt bad. He had been down there for who knows how long. It was the first time he could really move around. “Okay. Now, I have to ask you some things.”

“Curious one, eh? Alright. There should be plenty of time as we walk back to civilization.”

“I’m not too sure about that…”

“What do you mean?”

“You’ll see.” After a few hours of walking and questions, they arrived at the train station.

“What is all this?” The train pulled up and the former prisoner hid behind Twilight. “What manner of beast is that?!”

Twilight chuckled before explaining. “That’s a train. It allows us to travel across Equestria faster than just walking.”

“Incredible.”

“Though, they’ll need a name for the tickets.”

“Oh… Well, I don’t remember it, but I can think of a new one if I need to.”

They approached the ticket booth and were asked for their names before they were given their tickets. Twilight had no problem, but her new acquaintance was having trouble with the process. Twilight pulled him aside and explained the process.

The new face took a deep breath before walking back to the booth. When the employee asked for his name, he calmly responded with, “Levi Athtan.”
/\
Excerpt from Starswirl’s hidden records:
Siren Satalaria: I remember that thing. My friends and I tried to drain his negative energy. Probably should have realized what he was.
Starswirl: And what was he?
Satalaria: Would you believe me?
Starswirl: I’ve seen plenty that proves that proves that I should be open minded about this stuff.
Satalaria: (After a few minutes of silence) The Leviathan.