• Published 29th Sep 2016
  • 1,016 Views, 24 Comments

What Happened - Evowizard25



A series of short stories detailing the lives of Shimmerverse characters

  • ...
1
 24
 1,016

The New Wonderbolt

Cloudsdale. It was one of Equestria’s oldest cities. The floating city had been in place since long before the formation of Equestria. If one were to actually study it, they’d be hard pressed not to call it anything but a flying fortress. It was nearly inaccessible by most species and guarded by the finest pegasi warriors the lands had ever seen. The outer walls were lined with Magi Cannons large enough to down a dragon in one shot. It was a safe and secure place to live and one every pegasus looks on at with pride.

To live here was an honor in itself. That’s how a little rainbow maned filly thought. Well if she really cared to think about the city. She was too busy at the moment trying to think of anything fun as she groaned, “Daddy, why do we have to go to this stupid meeting.”

Her father was an older and darker blue stallion with a rainbow mane as well. He was currently wearing a military dress uniform befitting the more militarized pegasi. “This meeting is not stupid, Rainbow Dash. This meeting is to discuss the future of our people. When you’re older, you’ll appreciate what I’m doing for you.”

“That I won’t have to deal with ground pounders?” Rainbow Dash quirked her head. Her father didn’t have the highest opinion of them, if she had to guess.

“Something like that,” Rainbow Blaze snorted as he glanced down at his beloved daughter.

Rainbow Dash grumped. All her father ever did at those meetings was bemoan the ground pounders and talk about ‘ruling ourselves in the skies’. It was so boring. It was the same stuff over and over again, like just talking would change things. ‘Why are ground pounders so bad anyways?’

Her father had said that pegasi didn’t need to listen to them, but her mom said they were just like pegasi. Well, except they can’t fly. Rainbow flapped her wings, unsure of what it would be like to live without them. ‘It’d be pretty not awesome.’

When Rainbow Blaze and his daughter finally arrived at the spot, which was a large courtyard, he nudged his daughter. “You can go to the playground over there and play, but I want you to stay there. Don’t go wandering off or no ice-cream for a month.”

Rainbow Dash pouted, “Fine, daddy.” She had only done that once… or twice. She trotted over to the playground, but before she could start to play, she saw something. It was none other than the Wonderbolts! They were her favorite flyers and a couple of them were flying over the playground.

She gasped, “The Wonderbolts? Here?” They kept on flying. She narrowed her eyes as they passed the playground. She wasn’t going to miss this opportunity. She was going to talk to a Wonderbolt today. She’d be back before her daddy would notice. HIs speeches sometimes went on for hours anyways.

Flapping her small wings, she zoomed off. She was rather fast for her age, something her daddy never stopped saying to everyone they met. He kept telling her that she was even good enough to be a Wonderbolt. She grinned, ‘Daddy’s real smart so he has to be right. Once I show those Wonderbolts how awesome I am, they’ll make me one on the spot.’

It took her a few minutes, but she finally caught up to them at a large open field of clouds. The two Wonderbolts hadn’t noticed her yet.

“I can’t believe Captain Thundercloud just sent us away like that,” the mare of the duo said. She had an orange striped mane. “I was just offering a few flying tips.”

“You basically called him an old goat,” the stallion remarked. Looking closer at the duo, they looked to be teenagers.

“Well he’s acting like one,” the mare snorted.

“Look, I know he’s a bit rough.” The stallion said. “But he does mean well and you were being a bit of a jerk back there.”

“Oh so now I’m the jerk?” The mare prodded his chest with a hoof. “I was just giving him some tips. The old stallion’s too rigid. I could fly circles around him easy.”

‘Fly circles around Captain Thundercloud?’ Rainbow gasped. ‘But he’s the bestest Wonderbolt ever. If she can fly better then him, then I just need to impress her and I’ll be a Wonderbolt.’ She pranced in place as her smile almost split her face. With a flap of her wings, she flew right over to them. “Hey, can I be a Wonderbolt?”

The duo looked down at the little filly that landed next to them. Then they looked to each other and sighed.

“Of course we end up with a fan,” the mare snorted. “Why a kid though? I suck at talking with kids.”

“That’s because you act like one,” the stallion chuckled before she struck his shoulder. “Ow, well it’s true.” He grumbled as he rubbed his now sore shoulder.

The mare turned to the filly, “No, you’ll have to wait till you're older.”

“I don’t want to wait,” Rainbow angrily pouted. “I want to be a Wonderbolt now!”

“And she’s a brat,” the mare rolled her eyes.

“Just like…” The stallion did his best to shut his mouth at her glare.

“Listen kid,” the mare turned to her. “We’re busy right now. Go bug somepony else, okay?”

“No, I want to fly circles around you so I can be a Wonderbolt.” The filly grinned up at them. ‘Flying circles around her is easy. I do it with daddy and mommy all the time.’

“...You think you can fly circles around me?” The mare’s eyes narrowed. She snorted when the filly nodded. “Very well, prove it.” Her wings spread out. “Beat me in a race and I’ll make you a Wonderbolt. First one to race around Cloudsdale wins.”

“Spitfire-”

“Shut it, Soarin.” Spitfire snarled, bearing her fangs at him. “This filly wants to race, so I’ll race her. You can clean up her tears when I’m done.”

“...You really suck at dealing with kids,” Soarin sighed. “This is on your head if Thundercloud finds out.”

“Oh like he’ll find out,” Spitfire spread out her wings. “Ready kid?”

“Ready!” Rainbow spread out her wings too. She was shaking with excitement. ‘Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh!’ With that, they both took off.

Spitfire kept her pace in front of Rainbow, “Don’t fret it when you lose, kid. Us Wonderbolts are a tough bunch to beat.” She cockily smirked.

Rainbow gave her a challenging smile, “And don’t be a meany when I beat you.”

Spitfire snorted, “You wish.” With another beat of her wings, she soared further ahead of Rainbow.

Rainbow’s eyes widened at the speed and she pushed herself further. No matter how hard the little little tried, she couldn’t get fast enough to pass her. At most, she almost caught up on occasion, but Spitfire just took a sharp turn or put more ‘oomph’ into her wingbeats. The little filly glared at the other flyer. ‘I’m not going to lose. I’m going to be a Wonderbolt!’

“You’re too slow~” Spitfire cackled.

“That’s it!” Rainbow shouted and tried to push herself even faster. Something sparked inside her at that moment. It was something powerful. Something she had never felt before. A cone of light seemed to form around her as she sped up and then… it broke. With an explosion of rainbow so strong that it shook the neighboring city and land, Rainbow was propelled forward.

Spitfire yelped in surprise as a rainbow blur shot past her, “What?!!” Her eyes widened, before the shockwave finally caught up to her and sent her tumbling in the air.

“HAHA!” Rainbow laughed as she kept on racing. She never felt so alive. The wind passing through her mane. The adrenaline racing through her veins. She liked it. A lot. Looking back, it was almost like her mane and tail were shifting about like Princess Celestia’s own mane. That just sent another tremor of ‘awesome’ through her.

She finally did start to slow down several minutes later, when she landed back at the starting point. “I WON!!!”

Spitfire snarled as she landed as well. It was obvious she took another shorter way there. “You… you… what did you do?”

“The Sonic Rainboom,” a baritone voice spoke up. Looking over, they saw a yellow maned, purple stallion walk over. He was wearing a Wonderbolt’s outfit, but the headpiece was removed at the moment.

“But Captain Thundercloud,” Soarin spoke up. “That’s just a myth.”

“But I saw it and so did many others on this very day,” Captain Thundercloud lowered his head down to her. “What is your name, little one?”

Rainbow Dash’s mouth fell open. This was the Captain of the Wonderbolts: Thundercloud. He wanted to know her name. ‘He wants to know my name!’ “Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh.” Her wings fluttered on her back.

“Oh My Gosh is a very strange name,” Thundercloud chuckled.

“I mean, it’s Rainbow Dash.” The filly spoke up. “I’m a Wonderbolt now.”

“Are you now?” Thundercloud smiled and quirked an eyebrow. “And why is that?”

Spitfire cringed.

“Spitfire said that if I beat her in a race, she’d make me a Wonderbolt.” Rainbow explained.

Thundercloud frowned, “Did she now?” He looked over at Spitfire.

“I didn’t think she’d go for it,” Spitfire shrugged nervously.

“Of course you didn’t,” Thundercloud sighed. “We’ll talk about this later. As for now, Rainbow Dash. I can’t make you a Wonderbolt yet.” The little filly frowned, “But I can train you to be one.”

“What?” Spitfire piped up. “She’s a filly.”

“That performed a Sonic Rainboom,” Thundercloud spoke up. “By all accounts, I can just give her the uniform now. I’m not one to stick to tradition though, so we’ll wait a few years to make it official. I’ll just train her to be better.”

Rainbow Dash couldn’t believe it. This was a dream. It had to be. It was too good to be true. Her little wings fluttered excitingly as she pranced around the adults, giggling as she did.

“Rainbow Dash!” Her father shouted. “WHERE ARE YOU?!!!”

“I’m over here, daddy!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

Rainbow Blaze sighed in relief as he raced over to her and pulled her into a hug, “I’m so glad you’re safe. There was a quake of some kind and I had to make sure you were alright and…” He stopped when he saw Thundercloud. “Thunder.” He glared at the Wonderbolt.

“Blaze,” Thundercloud held a neutral expression. “Your daughter is exceptional. She just performed what could be the first Sonic Rainboom in generations.”

Rainbow Blaze was silent for a moment, before smirking. “Of course she did. She gets her speed from her mother.”

“And I’m training her,” Thundercloud spoke up. “She’ll need someone to do so, especially since she wants to be a Wonderbolt.”

Rainbow Blaze opened his mouth to protest before his daughter cut him off.

“Daddy!” Dash nuzzled his chest. “I want to be a Wonderbolt.”

Blaze was a hard stallion. Most everyone could attest to that. Yet, he had two weaknesses: his wife and daughter. He sighed in defeat. No one could say no to that cute face, “Fine.”

“Yay!” Dash hugged him. “I love you, daddy!”

Blaze hugged back and smiled, “I love you too, Dashie.” He looked over and glared at Thundercloud. “Don’t you dare put any bad ideas into her head.”

“That’s your job, apparently.” Thundercloud muttered, earning a snarl from Blaze.

“I’m going to be a Wonderbolt.” Dash pronked around them. ‘Best day ever.’ “I’m going to be a Wonderbolt.”

“And no ice-cream for a month,” Blaze spoke up. “You ran off. I don’t care if Celestia herself awarded you for being a national hero. If I say you stay in one area, you stay in one area, young lady.”

“Awwww,” Rainbow Dash pouted in despair, her wings and little ears drooping. ‘I guess it’s not the best day ever.’

"Oh cheer up, kid." Thundercloud smiled and poked her flank. "You got a little something extra for your display."

Rainbow Dash turned her head to see a cloud and rainbow lightning cutie mark. She gasped in delight, "I've got my cutie mark~!" She squeed. 'Never mind. Best day ever... but no ice cream... darn it.'

Author's Note:

I'm much more proud of this one, though I wasn't sure if I wanted to include Rainbow Blaze's political speech. I decided not to since this chapter didn't need one. Hope you all enjoyed it and please leave a comment.