• Published 15th Oct 2016
  • 446 Views, 3 Comments

The Legends of Avalon - Sunsette



A young colt raises a unremovable sword from its pedestal, and fate has many plans for this colt

  • ...
 3
 446

Prologue

It all started in the great mountains of the North, a largely desolated area only inhabited by the occasional lonely dragons and the once-prideful Diamond Dogs. They were both the masters of the Earth, one would dig straight down while the other soar through the sky in search of new mining areas. This led to an alliance between the both races and soon they endured many trials together such as the War on Chaos and the Nightmare Rebellion.

However, an evil thought lingers through the minds of both species, telling them to betray each other for their gold. They dismissed these thoughts and continued to collaborate for a few more centuries until... it happened.

On an expedition to find new mining areas, the Dragons and the Diamond Dogs stumbled upon an old mine-shaft filled with riches unimaginable. The gold shined brightly even in lightless cavern, and soon greed overtook their hearts; as one side doesn't want to share their gold with the other. This ultimately leads to a massive war that destroyed much of Dragon and Diamond Dog civilisation, thus both species returned to their animalistic ways.

The Dragons—once good and humble—began to corrupt themselves with the lust of power and greed; and so they were no longer the merciful and kind race they were before. They were now evil creatures, capable of mass destruction; and anyone that tries to stop them, would be destroyed in a matter of days.

News spread quickly throughout Equis, and soon everypony knew about the war and it's reasons. Some of them were morbid and confusing, others made the ponies disgusted at such barbarism displayed by the two species. And the rest ignores it as just another day in the office. But the Celestial Sisters knew something was pulling the strings, and so they sent spies and emissaries towards the Dragonacus Confederacy and the Atuâlis Kingdoms(Diamond Dog Empire.) Many of the spies were killed even as they try to enter the capital city of the Dragons, Asôria.

Eventually, this cause great tensions between the both kingdoms and soon full on war against Equestria was announced. With the Atuâlis Empire being the first nation to fall under the coming darkness that is the dragons, Equestria prepares for war: foundry's burning day and night, thousands of soldiers preparing for the oncoming storm, and lavish weaponry that will be used against the Dragons.

Unfortunately for them, the corrupted the Diamond Dogs and forced them to their will, and it was also during this age, that the first Akhtal pony migrated to Equestria. They came in with massive boats, covered in runes and fine details of art. But do not mistake them as friendly and peaceful; in fact they were quite the opposite. They immediately allied themselves with the Dragons and conducted massive invasions against the allies of Equestria.

And so the Dragons made the first move, attacking Ponyville first, for they know if they just leave the Mane 6 be, they will certainly defeat them. The battle was fierce, and the sky was coloured red with blood as the Dragons sacked the town. They searched the entirety of the town and they were angered and furious to learn that they did not find the Elements of Harmony there. Some may ask: "So who did stole the Gems?" and the answer is quite simple. Spike.


It was early in the morning, the sound of birds chirping a soft yet beautiful melody woke the 5"1 feet giant Spike, who had matured greatly in the past decade. He yawned rather loudly and scratched his back for a few times. He felt the skin of his arms first, feeling the roughness and the texture of his skin being bathe by the sunlight.

He smiled genuinely and made his way downstairs, ready to cook for Twilight.

"Another boring day in the library"He said to himself, as he continued to made his way downstairs. It was a quiet day in Ponyville, with most of it's citizens laying in their beds or singing merry songs and drinking the finest drinks in all of Equestria in the local tavern. He care not for the everyday businesses of Ponies, for his sister—Twilight—was nowhere to be seen.

He scratched his head in confusion and sacked the library just to find her. Books were flying across the room as Spike continued on his endeavours to find her missing sister. After many hours of searching for her (He went outside for a moment to check all the places she was known to go to), but alas neither Twilight, nor any of her friends were found during his small quest.

He gave out a sad sigh and retreated back to the library where he would spend the remaining entirety of the day catching up on some books—particularly a new copy that had just arrived from Canterlot, called: "Easy ways to hook up with Mares;" a book that caught Spike's attention a few days prior. Sure, the stallions of the town might call him a fool if he were to bring that book out in the public, but still, what other option does he have than to read the copious amounts of Equestrian history books that he'd probably skim through in a couple hours or so—a talent gained from years of helping Twilight of course.

Suddenly, a deafening crack roared in the skies, sending the birds and crows flying. Then, wings flapping across the sky, before finally the final roar of fury. The dragons were here.

Spike rushed towards the window and eyed the sky with great intent. There, massive carriages carrying the Diamond Dogs and the dreaded Akhtal ponies, their sharp fangs and sharp reptilian-like iris' pierced through his very soul.

The ponies of the town quickly grabbed their bags and items that they held dearly—some of them refusing to leave their houses for this very reason—and quickly made their way to the wagons, where they would be carried to a safe and disclosed location; wagons coated with detailed markings, carved on birchwood and safe and cozy interiors that will guarantee a safe and comfortable ride. As a loud and long whistle blew in the air, the wagons of Ponyville made their way towards the city of Baltimare, where they would be safe... for now. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that those wagons never made it to Baltimare, for they were attacked and burned by the dragons, soaring through the air, assuring it's dominance.

Amongst the rubbles of Ponyville, a lone drake woke up from it's perpetual slumber, gasping heavily as he eyed lazily the destroyed town of Ponyville. His eyes widened as soon as he see's the library on fire. Not caring for anything else, he made his way towards the library, his big stubby, yet strong legs, aiding him as he run towards the library.

The smell of books and ash was apparent as soon as Spike enters the library, and a single sad tear streak on Spike's face. His home, gone. Everything that he and Twilight has ever known, destroyed by the ashes of war. He shake his head to dismiss these troubling thoughts and made his way towards the basement, where the Elements of Harmony was stored. While much of the library is naught but ash, the basement remained intact, with only a few rubbles here and there.

Spike kicked the door leading towards the basement and surveyed the room intensely. A few moments later, a chest glowed brightly with all the different colours of the rainbow, lighting profusely in the corner of the room. Bingo. He crawled his way towards it and opens up his saddlebag, while opening the chest slowly, not wanting the invaders hear the loud creaking noise of the chest.

His eyes stared at the gems intensively, fixing his gaze upon the purple element that reminds him of Twilight. He sighed sadly and puts the elements into his bag and journeyed upwards where he would flee the town. As he made his way upstairs, he caught something in the peripheral of his vision: A pony, cladded in black armour whilst wielding a heavy yet powerful looking mace, riding a large dragon. The hood of the pony covered much of his face, but a flash of lightning soar through the sky, allowing any survivors to see the wretched and devilish smile of this pony.

Our little drake treaded silently upon the Earth, not letting out a single shout or scream as he leaped over piles of disemboweled body parts belonging to the ponies of the town.

A guard passed by Spike, carrying with him a grey mare with white hair. She had a peculiar cutie-mark that resembles a mare's flank, tattooed with the same exact cutie-mark as hers. She continued to struggled, trying to loose herself from the strong grip the Akthal Guard has on her. Curious, Spike made his way towards the back of a building, eyeing the pair with great curiosity. The guard presented the mare towards our hooded pony, who did not seemed pleased at all. He swung his mace at her, sending her flying across the town before her limp body impacts on one of the many trees of the Everfree forest.

The figure laughed grimly and loudly, letting his army know that he is most pleased about his recent endeavour; and with a low and grim voice, he shouted: "Let the green lands of Equestria burn under our feet, as we march our way towards the heart of this so-called 'Empire!" The figures on voice sends shivers down Spikes' spine, as he shivered coldly. He looked up at the sky, painted red with blood, sprayed by the Dragons.

And after weeping silently, he treaded silently away from Ponyville and made his way to Canterlot to warn the Celestial Monarchs.


Somewhere in the far north of Equestria, the evil-lord of Darkness grinned darkly at his servants—who were forming up their ranks, preparing their march towards the cities of Equestria. He had longed for the day that he would step into the mighty and glorious hallways of the Canterlot castles and burn it to the ground, for deep in his heart, a fiery hatred towards Equestria continues to brew every day, engulfing him with rage if even a single rumour of hope spreads across Equestria. He had diverted most of his attention towards the Griffons previously, for they were the masters of War, their sharp and iron-like talons perfect for piercing through even the most toughest and refined of armour. He sent his mighty Dragons to pillage their farmlands but to no avail; for they had produced great ballistas that would shoot down his Dragons with a single sharp and deadly arrow. When news of their new weaponry spread all across Equestria, the wavering ponies gained their hope; and so they fought his forces with great tenacity, that even the most prideful and honourable of dragons would nod in approval.

But he would not let this hope continue; for he controls the Elements now—well the bearers that is. Yes amongst his evil army, our heroes were corrupted and transmogrified into hollow beings. They were the generals that will order their troops to march onwards towards the Land of Harmony.

How did he acquired our heroes? No one knows—but there was a rumour that says that the Elements were sent to the Mountains to propose a cease-fire; and with that, the Diamond Dogs' superior noses caught their scent and so they captured them. The leader of the Six Generals were none other than Twilight Sparkle herself. Unlike her delightful and vivid purple coat, it was now dark and covered with dirt; for she was tortured for hours on end. Eventually, they cut off her wings and replaced them with something more... crude and dragon-like. A black helmet was covering much of her face, for inside that helmet, an entirely different face was there to greet any unwanted visitors.

The Lord of Darkness ordered his squire to blow the mighty horn, made out of the Ivory of an Oliphant, great beasts located in the far east. A mighty horn echoed throughout the lands, and so the dark army marched onwards. Ponies, Dragons, and Diamond Dogs alike united to conquer the world and enslave all the good races of 'Avalon'.

He smiled darkly and nodded at his squire, in which he returned with a simple nod before he goes bellowing down to join the main force. He took a few steps forward and he whistled loudly; ordering his dragon to pick him up. As he waited for his escort to come, he could hear the great flaps in the air coming straight towards him, and a deafening roar in the clouds signalled his great dragon, his most prized possession: the Mighty Dragon of the North, leader of the Dragon-kin.

And so this great dragon landed on front of him and whimpered. The Dark Lord approached it and patted the dragon with his front hooves. "Be a good dragon and carry me towards the ruins of Ponyville?" He asked, and so the Dragon gave out a loud roar. The pony climbed the Dragon and patted it's back for a bit. "Onwards, Ikalidîr! For evil will cover the lands of Equestria forever!" And with that, Ikalidîr flapped his large and magnificent wings upwards and soar through the sky.


"THEY WHAT!?" Shouted the blue Alicorn, as she continued to listen to Spike's report about the attack on Ponyville. She ran her hooves to her messy hair, which flows endlessly with the air. Ever since the war began a few months back, she hadn't have the time to sleep pleasantly, for she was the head of the Military Council, ruling side by side with her trusty advisor and personal friend, Kàshin, an Earth Pony hailing from the small mountain town of Riverrun.

The drake nodded grimly. "They attacked Ponyville with such fury, I'd reckon even the most powerful of Griffons would quiver in fear if they were to experience such an attack on their towns." Said Spike, his eyes tearing up. "I bet that they took Twilight and the rest of her friends as well. Poor Twilight, what would I do without you..." He embraced himself with his arms as he silently cries. He felt a friendly hoof patting on his back, and soon he stopped crying and straighten up. The Princess of the Night gave him a friendly smile and gave Spike a reassuring comment: "Do not cryest thee, my dear Spike; for all we know, our friends might stillest out there, fighting the good fight" Spike smiled at her and wiped away the tears on his cheeks, leaving behind tear stains on his cheeks.

"Thanks, Luna"

"It is my pleasure, Spike. But if your report is true, then the dark forces of the North are ready to march upon our lands; and so I must call upon the War Council."

He gave the blue alicorn a worried look, and said: "Are we going to be okay?" Luna looked down upon her hooves, unsure if whether they will win or not. "I do not know, but for now, try locking away your fears and keep fighting the good fight, okay?" The drake nodded, and soon she was alone again in her vast castle hallways.

She sighed sadly, and looked at the night sky, her moon shining brightly upon the city of Canterlot. "War is coming, and soon the fate of Equestria—and even Avalon—would be decided in the oncoming storm..."


The next few weeks would be very hectic for both Luna and Spike, as they prepared themselves for the oncoming storm. She ordered her War Generals to train the finest roster of troops in Equestria's history, a daunting task for them but what other options do they have against the mighty Dragons and the tenacious Akthal ponies?

Across the lands of Equestria, great forges worked day and night, smithing and forging the finest weapons and armour ever produced since the Nightmare war.

And the little Dragon, Spike, would be essential for the oncoming battle; for he was tasked to lead the new regiment of troops dubbed: The Grey Rangers, mighty warriors equipped with the finest bows and arrows ever produced in the lands of Avalon. This might be a daunting task for the little drake, but he had trained under the banner of Luna and Celestia for the past few weeks, and so he would be more than ready to take up the flag and lead them to the battlefield.

With each passing day, the dark forces of the North drew closer to Equestria, and their mighty dragons would pillage and burn the surrounding countrysides, destroying much of Equestria's withering crops and agriculture. But, they worry naught, for the great mills of Vanhoover continued it's work, supplying Equestria's armies and citizens with plenty of food and vegetables.

And in the middle of December, the dark forces approached the glorious cliff-city of Canterlot, who's light is shining brightly against the dark clouds that shrouded the land.


The bells were ringing all across the city of Canterlot, Colts and Mares running towards the nearby shelters and seeking safety amongst the crowd. The mighty army of Equestria, fifty thousand strong, stood outside the walls, their spears standing out against the smaller ponies. Among this army, a Dragon surveyed his ponies, eyeing them carefully, looking out to see any wavering souls ready to run for their lives.

But not one of them wavered or shivered in fear; and they stood proudly against their crude and savage enemies. They gave them cold-hearted glares, letting them know that they will not run away in the face of defeat; for the forces of Darkness brought a hundred thousand troops with them.

Spike gave them a kind smile and approached the nearby tent of Luna and Celestia, where they are discussing the battle plans. From afar, he could hear the arguments and commands given by the Celestial monarchs towards the War Generals. Then, six ponies exited the tent, their golden armour glimmering brightly, and their great swords protruding from their holsters. Spike entered the tent and bowed at them, in which the Celestial monarchs bowed in return.

Celestia was the first one to speak. "Captain Spike of the Grey Rangers; I assume that you and your ponies are ready for battle?" He nodded. "They are more than ready, Princess." Luna smiled and muttered something about 'Spike growing up.' Celestia approached him and drew out a sword from her holsters, gripping it with her magic. "This is 'Excalibur', Spike. It is made out of the finest metals in all of Avalon, and decorated with lavish runes and carvings." Said Celestia as she slowly gave the sword to Spike. "This is your sword now, the very Elements of Harmony is inside this sword—in fact, the runes were made out of each Element, creating a powerful sword with unprecedented power and magic." Spike smiled nervously and grabbed the Sword. The leather of the grip was cold, but it slowly suit his temperature after a few seconds. He touched the blade, sending shivers down his spine; for it was extremely cold and sharp. He took out his old sword from his holsters and threw it to the ground, replacing it with his new sword, Excalibur. He bowed honourably at the Celestial Monarchs, and he exited out from the tent to lead his forces to battle.


'Charge!!!' That was the word that was chanted all across the battlefield, and the forces of good and evil soon clashed with one another; the soldiers of each army proving their mettle and devotion towards their leader, cause, and country. Arrows whistled across the battlefield, sticking itself into the many souls fighting valiantly in the field.

A Dragon soared through the sky, letting out a deafening roar; and on that dragon, the Lord of Darkness rode his mighty dragon into battle. Ikalidîr landed on a hill of bodies, belonging to both sides. At this point, the battle has reached the city walls, and the great rocks of the North were being flung towards the Great Walls of Canterlot. He grinned devilishly and dismounted his dragon. He noticed something shimmering amongst the crowd of ponies and diamond dogs: a Drake wielding a glowing sword of tremendous power. He snarled angrily at him—yet for some reason he felt cold inside, as if there was something about this sword that terrifies his very soul. He eyed the battle, his sharp eyes intending to find the leader of the Six Generals, Twilight Sparkle.

He spotted Twilight and eyed her with curiosity. The way she moves, quick and deadly, and the spells she casted: perfect. He uttered something in an unknown dialect, and Twilight came over to him as quickly as she can, hurling her own soldiers at the long spears of the Equestrian forces. She bowed honourably at him, and took off her helmet. She still retained her signature purple made—alongside the pink streak on it—and lavender coat. However this was not the Twilight she used to be: Nice, kind, polite, and tolerant; she was a force to be reckon with, the very definition of pure evil. She starts to say: "What is it, thy Master?" and which he responded with: "Haventh you seen thou enemy? The great drake in shining gold armour and a mighty sword?" She nodded.

"Spike the Dragon, I'd reckon. Only a coward would side themselves with Equestria—that or he's just suicidal." Her tone filled with venom, as if she has a personal vendetta against him.

"Killest thee, for he is an obstacle in our glorious conquest" Ordered the Dark Lord. And with that Twilight dispersed and flew across the battlefield to meet her new target, her own brother in-law: Spike.


63. That's how many kills he had racked up with this sword. He swung Excalibur at a nearby diamond dog, decapitating him almost instantly. It had been an entire day since the battle started, and most of his troops were exhausted. Yet, they continued to fight valiantly with such tenacity, he could see the forces of evil quivering and running away in fear.

An Akhtal pony rushes at him, gripping his Warhammer tightly. He continued his charge even when Spike decapitated his head, and soon the body fell limp on the ground. He smiled proudly and wiped the blood of the blade with his shoulder-pads. A horn blew behind him; and a flurry of Griffon knights stood proudly over the hill, their pearly white armour shining brightly against the crude and dark armour the Dark Lord's armies wear. An old Griffon stood on front of his army: grey feathers, golden armour, and extremely sharp talons, ready to pierce through the toughest of metal.

Even from the walls of Canterlot, he could hear his noble speech:

"They attacked our lands for the sake of glory and evil;
They pillaged much of our homes and burned them into ashes.
But we will not falter; for in this hour of need, our allies fight valiantly against the darkness.
They had helped us countless times without us repaying them; and we will repay the debt with thy noble order!" He ran across the fields, shouting one word: "DEATH!!!" His soldiers follow suit, and soon they were charging at the enemy, their swords and axes drew out, ready to spill blood.

The Griffon army—ten thousand strong—struck hard against the rear of the enemy, dealing tremendous damage towards them; for they have took out the heavy forces: tall and strong Diamond Dogs, primed with powerful maces and indestructible armour. Some of them had begun to flee from the battlefield, dropping their weapons and making a run for it while they still have the chance. Of course, they were immediately shot down by the Grey Rangers, who were standing still in their stations, the Canterlot Walls and Bridge.

Spike smiled and sighed heavily with relief. He ordered his troops to charge once more and to 'finish the fight'. Thousands of ponies came charging at the exposed front of the army, crippling and killing much of them with just a single wave. The Dragons began to lay siege upon the city, but they were shot down by the powerful ballistas of the Griffons and the Ponies.

The Dark Lord bellowed in rage, running his hoofs down to his final and most deadly weapon: The Hammer of Aömyër. He surveyed the landscape once again and he puffed angrily to see that five of his most prized generals were dead already. He spotted the Celestial Monarchs in the field, casting powerful spells and magic at his forces. He muttered something to Ikalidîr's ears; ordering him and his Dragons to fall back into the mountains, while he finish off the rest.

Ikalidîr let out an animalistic roar, ordering his kin to fall back into the Northern Mountains; for they were severely outnumbered and outgunned, and so they had to retreat. He flapped his magnificent wings, sending dust all over the place and fled towards the mountains with all of his remaining kin: all forty seven of them—the last Dragons of Avalon, destined to grow more powerful, yet more incompetent as time goes by.

Across the battlefield, Spike spotted something quick charging at him; and so he moved into a defensive stance, ready to retaliate against his opponent. He gave a confident smile before a flurry of punches and kicks were sent hurling at him by his attacking, sending him a few feet away. A single blood drip down from Spike's nose as he was about to look at his attacker.

The whole world froze.

It was her. It was, Twilight Sparkle: her sister.

Tears were filling up his eyes as he realised what he would have to do now: He would have to kill her, ending her misery. Twilight—no—the Beast snarled at him, puffing heavily as she gripped her daggers tightly, ready to thrust them at him. She charged at him, giving him all the energy she could muster onto her hooves, intending on doing the finishing blow.

But she felt something protruding out from her back. She looked at her stomach and gasped in shock to see a sword in her stomach. She looked at Spike, who was crying heavily, tears dripping down from his cheeks. She staggered back and looked at her hooves: 'What have I done? How could I bring myself to do this to him'. She fell down to the ground, gasping for air. Spike approached him and embraced her. She looked at Spike and smiled sadly at him. She brought him closer to her muzzle, whispering into his ears: "Thank you, Spike. For being the best friend I've ever had..." She smiled sadly once again and closer her eyes; the eyes that will never open ever again.

Spike could feel himself breaking down. He threw away his helmet and hugged her former friend tightly, crying onto her coat, now soaked with tears. The Equestrians and the Griffons had driven out most of the invaders off the battlefield, running for their lives. They noticed the late princess, their hung low, honouring and grieving over the death of the latest Princess.

But the battle wasn't over; for a large pony dug itself out from the pile of bodies on top of him. He was easily the size of Celestia, and he wielded the mighty hammer, Aömyër. His crooked face was shrouded in darkness, hiding away the dark grin he has on his face. He slowly approached the allied forces, confident that he would take down hundreds—if not thousands—of them before he'd lost the will to fight. Both the Celestial monarchs approached him slowly, exchanging worried glances with each other. They both drew out their sabres and waraxes and proceeded to march closely towards him.

He gave the monarchs a crooked smile, his golden Iris sending fear in the hearts of mortals. But they refused to give up. He too, slowly marched towards the Princess', his hammer raised into the air. Their pace quickened when they were 20 feet away from him, shouting vulgar words at him. But he continued to charge at them.

Just before they could deal the final blow, he struck his hammer to the ground, shaking the ground and sending massive boulders at the city. These boulders would smash through the elegant and well-built buildings of the city, sending rubbles and ruins down the cliff. He started chanting: "Hearest me, thy Goddesses: you are weak and the races of Avalon will no longer need your services; your magic is withering away, flying away from your world to another. If thou can control the Celestial bodies with thoust grasps, then that power would no longer be yours; for fate has decided that it has different plans for Avalon." He glowed brightly, his eyes turning white. He gave out a loud shriek before he was torn apart into billions of tiny pieces.

Celestia felt something deep in her heart: She could feel the very essence of magic slowly withering away. She looked at her subjects with worry, only to see them casually using their magic. Luna approached her and nodded: The Celestial bodies are no longer theirs. Their subjects and the other races of the world would have to go on without them. She fixed her gaze upon Spike, embracing Twilight closely as he continued to wept. She felt a tinge of sadness within her heart: her prized pupil is dead. Died in battle. Luna gave her a reassuring pat on the back and she retreated back into the castle...


An old stallion slowly closed the book and smiled at his nephew: a brown colt with turquoise iris' with a lust for knowledge. He softly crooked his beard, trimming them softly. "And that concludes the story of the Great War, my dear Palven." He frowned sadly, and looked down upon the ground.

He whispered softly to himself, as soft as a feather. He nodded to himself and asked: "What are the Grey Rangers, uncle Lombard?" Lombard smiled at his little nephew, before chuckling softly.

He messes his mane and smoked his pipe, puffing out beautiful and colourful rings. "Well, the Grey Rangers are protectors of our fair country, Eobôr. They guard us from the evil forces of the north—who were still licking up their wounds after the great war, thousands of years ago. They serve in the Northern Walls, and the Northern Walls only." The little colt processed this information carefully and he erupted in joy and wonder.

"I want to serve in the Grey Rangers, Uncle!"

He laughed and smoked his pipe once again. "In time my dear nephew, in time..." The sun sets down over the horizon, shimmering its last fade

~ Legends of Avalon ~

Author's Note:

And thus, this concludes the first chapter of my new fanfic: Legends of Avalon. I hoped you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing them. Anyways, if you have any issues with my fic, please notify me by writing down a constructive criticism down below in the comments.

Or you could just leave a dorito or a haiku, either of those are appreciable. Oh, don't forget to leave a like if you enjoy it—and if you want to keep up with the fic—follow it! :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: