• Published 26th Jun 2012
  • 2,373 Views, 22 Comments

Changeling - Henry Hoof - destinedjagold



A lonely Changeling living in a lonely kingdom of Changelings found interest in a nearby pony town.

  • ...
7
 22
 2,373

Chapter 01 - Henry Hoof

Chapter 1 - Henry Hoof
"I can change my disguise, but can I change who I am as well?"

---
1

The days has become repetitive...
There is nothing to do in this boring old place... More importantly, there is nothing to feed on...
I am hungry, and so is my mother, and as well as her subjects...
She has been planning, and I am her second-opinion about her plans...
They were all...what would be the right word for it...'evil' seems to be the only thing on my mind right now but, that word is far too strong...
We have no choice, she says... And she is right. If this keeps up, we'll all die from hunger for sure...
A slow yet very painful death... I don't want to imagine it, but I still am...bits of it...and I'm scared... She's scared...
Although it pains me, I asked my mother to bring her plan to action...

We feed on love...
We don't know why, but that's what we are, that's what we eat, that's what we feed.
A single couple's simple love is enough to nourish me for a year, or, if divided, twelve of us will be nourished for a month.

As the day draws to a close, my mom executed the first phase of the plan.
But as three of her loyal subjects transformed into tiny birds as they flew away, I wondered...
I wondered, why are we like this?
Why are we so different from any other living creature?
Why is 'love' the only thing that will help us survive?
Why is our own 'love' insufficient?

This lonely mountain we rule, once full of loving creatures — now dead after decades of slowly feeding on their 'love'...
How can we kill them in the process anyway?
We only feed on their 'love' for one another...
Is 'love' something really — and literally — to die for?
Or maybe we're feeding on them on something else...?
Their spirit? Their emotio—wait, love is an emotion, so scratch that...
Maybe we're feeding on their life? I can't explain it very well what I mean, but...

But really...
All other intelligent beings eat grass, or flowers, or hay, or fruits.
Some animals also eat those as well, and they're called herbivores.
Some animals prey on those herbivores, and they're called carnivores.
But what about us? We...eat...love...
Maybe we're...lovivores?
We're the only different beings on Equestria—no—probably in the entire planet.

I just realized that my mother's three subjects just arrived.
They spotted a herd of ponies not far from our kingdom.
If we try and change ourselves to look like them, we can take a little of those ponies' love, enough for us to last a year or so, and then we go back and do whatever.
It's risky, and could probably cause a scene—I don't know what yet, but still—but we have no choice...
If we wish to survive, then.

---
2

That was very very scary...
Not only that it was my first time to change myself and to try and act like them, but it was our—OUR—first time to feed on intelligent creature's love.
I'd had to admit, though it was frightening if ever they knew about our true intentions, it was very very very...satisfying... I don't think there are words to fit what I've felt.
I've fed—for the longest time—I've fed. We fed, and it was enough.

My mother acted like a pony leader, and we were her pony followers, just passing by to settle down for a while.
The plan was to feed on different ponies.
If two or more feed on one, that pony might faint, and then we might get into trouble.
Although we were really hungry, my mother's subjects were good at following orders—all forty-eight of them.

How would I explain it...
Somehow, I can feel a pony's love towards someone, or something, and then I'll...insert...myself in between that line of love, and feed.
Hm... Maybe we really are feeding on emotions: emotions of love...

Whatever, we've satisfied ourselves, and me as well, and it's time for me to sleep.
I haven't slept feeling satisfied for years, and now, good night.

---
3

It's been four days since we came in that pony settlement.
I've been having dreams about it though.
And somehow, I'm having this strange urge to get back there.
I don't know why, but it was just a strange feeling...
And I've been having weird dreams lately...
Also, now that I think about it, in my dreams, there was...a brown-thing covering thin pieces of flat-white-stuff...
I don't know what it was, even when I was born, but ever since that day, I suddenly knew what it was: a book.
A brown book... With white blank pages... Why do I know these all of a sudden, and why the sudden fondness of books...?

Books...
Books... Books...
Books books books books books...

It kept echoing inside my head ever since I first woke up from a satisfying sleep... Books...

I think I'm going crazy...
I wanted to ask my mom about it, but something within me...somehow...stopped me?
I...stopped...myself... Why...?

---
4

It's been a week now, and I think I'm really getting crazy, plus, I think I mom must have noticed.
She asked me if something was bothering me.
Of course, but I said, no. Why did I lie?
I've been lying here and there, and believe me, I'm not really good at it, but this time, I must have looked like I wasn't lying at her at all. I was even able to look straight at her eyes as I replied.
I've never ever done that in the past if I was lying.
Hm... Maybe that's why she knew if I was lying or not... Eye contact...

She sounded like she was convinced of my answer, and quickly left me all alone after one of her subjects called her attention.

I want to go back to that pony village...

Hm... First, settlement, and now, village...
My vocabulary is expanding!
Should I be happy?
Should I be scared?
Maybe if this continues, my brain will explode from vocabulary overload!
Wow, I'm filled with random words all of a sudden, and look, I didn't even notice that I was already in the middle of the forest!
I don't think my mom would like that: me leaving the kingdom to go to that village.

I'm at the edge of the forest now.
And there it is, the village from a distance.
The sun is still high up. It's pretty hot, but I didn't mind.

I was about to go there until something hit me—change.
I need to change the way I look.
All I need to do was to focus on a pony image in my head, and presto—where did that word came from?—I'm a pony.

After I took a few steps outside the forest, a soft voice from behind me said "Hello."
I was terrified—I wanted to run away, or maybe duck, or hide!
But before I could do anything, a yellow pony walked pass me from behind and stopped right in front of me.
"Is something the matter?" she asked. The pony's voice was so soft, and, gentle, and...calm, perhaps?
I tried to calm myself down, but I couldn't...
I didn't even notice that I already took two steps back, head down, but still looking at her—maybe I looked really scared.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you," she said, still on the same spot.
I stopped from stepping back. I don't know if she really meant it, but it sounded like she did mean it, so...

She's a yellow pony—not too yellow, just as yellow as a...I looked around, and there, I saw a sunflower—no idea how I knew about that flower—but yes, she's as yellow as that sunflower...maybe a bit darker than a sunflower.
Her hair, I think those are called manes—at least, that's what I remember from last week—is as brown as that sunflower's stem, or a tree's trunk...
Her eyes match her hai---mane, as well as her tail.
And there's a weird drawing on her skin near her tail.

I think she noticed me looking at that strange drawing, so she quickly stood sideways for me to see it properly.
"Oh, you're looking at my cutie mark?" she smiled as she looked at it. It has...three white circles forming a horizontal line, and under the circles was a...black line-thing...
"I call it," and she turned to me, still smiling sweetly, "'miss the mark'."

Miss the mark. What does that mean?

"I like to think that there are other ways to do things than the usual way to do it." she smiled.
Her words echoed in my head.
There are other ways to do things than the usual way...
I can't keep my smile. I wished it was true in my—in our case.
I wish there were other ways for us to feed, to really belong.

My mother told me that the other intelligent races despise us, because of our appetite.
It weakens them, and they hate that.
We get killed if we walk into their territory, so we stayed quiet in our lone mountain kingdom...
Sad...

I noticed her looking at my tail, or somewhere near my tail.
"Oh, your cutie mark's a book?"
I blinked. That made me look at the same area of my body where her weird 'Miss The Mark' is with her.
And look, there it is. A book. It really is a book.
"You know, I love reading books," she said, no idea what her expression was, since I was still looking at that small drawing of a book near my tail. "Especially adventure-themed books. I love them." she said, sounding really happy.

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked as I turned to her. I don't have any idea why I asked her that question. She could asked me the same!

"Oh, so you can talk! That's great!" she looked really glad.
I just felt glad that she didn't—
"But, I could ask you the same thing..."
...never mind what I was about to say...

---
5

She invited me over to her 'house', a wooden place she calls her home.
Walking through the pony village made me feel excited, and scared at the same time.
There were a number of ponies walking around.
They don't seem to mind us though, which was a good thing for me. It made me feel less scared, but still scared.

She said she loves books, and indeed she does.
Inside her...house, there are lots of books in different colors, arranged in a wooden thingy standing against one of her home's walls.
While we were still on the way—me following her—she introduced herself as Daisy Hoof, and she kept asking for my name.

I don't even know my own name, yet...
My mom said that we are the ones who'll discover our own names when the time is right...
She stopped asking for my name after she noticed me looking like I'm worried, at least, that's what she told me.
I wasn't worried... I was just thinking, but...

She made me sit on this wooden circle thing, and made me face a more taller and wider wooden-but white circle thing.
On this white circle were things she called a 'cup', and a much taller and bigger and weird-looking 'cup' she called a 'teapot'.

I don't want to ask something which I think would have been common sense for ponies to know but, I couldn't avoid asking some.

She sat on the other small circle thing and faced me. In between us was the white circle.
She bit the handle of the 'teapot' and tilted her head, making the teapot pour this weird brown water to the cup near me, and then she poured some on the other cup near her.
I have no idea what that was for. Also...it smells...er...

After she puts down the teapot, she bit the nearest cup and lifted her head up, and she made drinking noises.
Oh! So that's how it's done. I better try it myself, but...drink this weird brown stuff?
Well, she did drink it, so it's safe to drink it too...maybe?

I lowered my head to bite it, but I stopped after I heard her wondering.
"Um... Aren't you gonna...you know...use magic to lift that cup?"

Magic?
Oh yeah... I can use my magic to change my form, but to lift this cup?
I never ever used my magic to lift something—anything—ever...

"I invited you over 'cause I've never seen an alicorn before, aside from Princess Celestia, of course," she chuckled.

Alicorn...
Is that how I look like?
An Alicorn...

What in the world is an Alicorn?
No... What does an Alicorn look like?
I never actually saw what I look like with this form though.
Sure, I have wings, my feet, my mouth, my horn, my tail... I can still feel all of them.

"Are you all right?" she asked, sounding and looking really worried.

"What's an Alicorn?" I suddenly asked her.
I forgot about not to ask about something that might be obvious to the ponies...
And after remembering about it, she—obviously—was surprised to hear such a question...

---
6

It's a very quiet evening, as always.
My mother and most of her subjects are asleep now.
I am lying down on this cave floor beside my mother, my back facing her.

Usually, at this hour, I'm already asleep, but I've been thinking about that little visit of mine with that pony.
What was her name? Um... Daisy. Oh yeah. Daisy Hoof...

I tried to forget about it though, but what I did was—now that I'm thinking about it—was somehow, very embarrassing and rude...

I felt ashamed for asking her something that would be too obvious for others to know.
I quickly jumped off from that little wooden circle, dashed to the opening-and-closing large wood we used to get inside, and flew away.

I heard her shouting that she was sorry, but, why did she apologized?
I should be the one to apologize...to her...

Apologize to her...
Should I go back and apologize to her?
I should go back and apol—no...

I don't think going back there would be a good idea.
What if she finds out I'm not really an...alicorn...?
What if she finds out—and everyone there finds out—that I'm...a...changeling...?

A Changeling...
A creature that feeds on love...
A creature that every other intelligent beings neglect and despise...

I wanted to go back there.
Maybe even to apologize but—

No, I think it's best for me to just stay here.
Stay here with my mom, and with the rest of my kind.

Here, in this lonely mountain of ours...

---
7

I thought I told myself not to go back here again.
I thought I told myself that I shouldn't go back.
It might put me in trouble.

But here I am again, in this pony village, but this time, I'm sitting under a tree, my back against the base of the trunk of this big tree, in the center of the village.

Daisy is also sitting on the other side.
It's like, our backs are facing each other, with a big tree in between.

She's the only pony I know around here.
The only pony I feel like talking to.
Maybe it's because...she's the pony I fed last week. Her love, I mean.
Her love towards books.

I've been thinking about a lot of things while I was in the forest, slowly walking towards this village earlier today.
And somehow, I recalled the event from last week. We, feeding the ponies' love.
I couldn't quite remember who I fed on, but I'm a bit sure it was Daisy.
Why the sudden love for books, anyway?

I saw her sitting on the spot where we first talked to each other; outside the forest.
She saw me, and was happy, and immediately apologized about yesterday.
I told her that I should be the one to apologize but, she insisted that it was her fault.
Okay then.
The easier the better, I suppose...

She invited me here, in the center of the village she called 'park'.
While we were on our way here—me still tailing her—we stopped in this weird house she called a bakery.
Sugarcube Corner... I think that was the name of this house.
Inside, she looked through this transparent-but-solid thing, and inside that weird thing were these different shapes of what she called 'bread'.
Then, she gave this very small yellow flat circles to the yellow male pony.
I don't know how many, but after he took them, he gave Daisy a brown bag full of light brown 'bread'.

She gave me some when we arrived in the 'park'.
It smelt really really delicious.
But... I don't know how to feed on it.
I couldn't sense it's 'love' emotion.
Maybe this thing's...dead...?

I don't know why, but she asked me to look at her.
She took a 'bread', opened her mouth, and bit it.
She ripped some of it and started chewing...like a carnivore ripping the fle—I don't wanna think about it...

She swallowed it after a few seconds of chewing, and then she sighed and smiled.
"And that's how you eat," she said.
I saw the remains. This 'bread' isn't an animal.
I'm not sure what this is, but at least it's not a dead creature.

I tried it, and it wasn't as delicious as how it smelt, but, it was okay.

And now, we're sitting under this big tree.

"Did you get amnesia or something?" she asked, breaking the silence.

It wasn't really quiet here though.
There are small ponies playing around the other parts of this park.

"N—" I quickly closed my mouth.
Me and my stupid habit of automatically answering to questions if I'm thinking too much about something else...
If I tell her I didn't have amnesia, then she'd—

"So you didn't have amnesia?" she turned, looking at me.
I didn't move my head, but I can see her at the corner of my eye.
What to say? What to say...?
I heard her stand on all her four feet and started walking, and stopped beside me.

"Hey, come on. Don't be shy. You can tell me," she said with the most melodious voice ever.
I was tempted to say it. I am really wanting to tell it. But...
I don't think it's a good idea to tell her what I am...

She sat beside me, still looking at me, while I'm staring at the ground, my head tilted down.
I don't want her to dislike me...
I don't want her to leave me...
She's like...a sister to me...

"I miss my sister..." I gasped. I thought it out loud, as I always do when I'm feeling lonely back home...
My mom would hug me.
I quickly turned to her and apologized, but she waved her head left to right with a smile.

"Missing someone is really painful..." she looked up in the sky. "But this pain we bear makes us strong."
...I have no idea how pain can make us strong...
"I miss my brother too..." she continued, her smile fading away...
I looked at the sky, looking at those white fluffs she called clouds.
"We always eat here, in this very tree..."
I wonder what happened... I should ask her.

We both turned our heads, facing each other.
I was about to ask her, but—
"So, what happened to your sister?"

"Uh... Well..." I frowned, feeling sad, really sad.
"She... died..."

---
8

It was a few years ago...
My sister and I were inside our cave.
We were still small back then, and dad was also still alive.

Our kingdom was glorious that time, even though the other races started to despise us.
We were smart enough not to cause chaos, so we decided to step away from them, and they did the same.

After hours of playing, we finally decided to play hide and go seek.
My elder sister found me easily, and so it was my turn.
After I finished counting to ten, or rather, after I felt like I finished counting to ten—since I don't know how to count back then—I went around looking for her.

I went outside the cave, where I saw my mother.
She was talking to another big Changeling with green colors.
I think she was Chrysalis...

I was about to go back inside to look for my big sister when they started shouting at each other.
My dad wondered what it was, so he went out the cave as well, and asked me to get inside but...

That was when that evil Chrysalis and her subjects started attacking us.
Those green eyes, they were scary.
My sister jumped out from the bushes, and rushed back inside the cave.

I saw a green-eyed Changeling chasing her, wings beating as fast as a bee, and it was gaining on her.
My dad's attention was to my mom, who was about to run and help her, while my attention was on my beloved elder sister.
Seeing my big sister in danger sparked something within me.

I quickly ran towards her, jumped high right before we collide, and tackled that meanie to the ground.
It quickly got back on it's feet, and instantly it was hovering in the air.
I noticed it's mouth was glowing, and I think I know what will happen next, so I hurried back inside the cave before—

---
9

"She saved me from a monster..." I slowly said...

Unlike those green-eyed Changelings, our eyes are brown, and we rarely fly, but if we do, we flap our wings the same way as birds, not like bees.

"The monster attacked me... I was knocked out." I took a deep breath before I continued, my sight on the ground. "When I woke up, I saw my mom, being treated. My dad and sister, didn't make it..."

My mom told me that after I got knocked out, my sister turned around to help me, but she was overpowered...

We barely won that battle, but it costs us a lot.

"Oh..." I heard her soft yet low voice.
I looked at her. She was looking down on the ground, the same I was doing earlier.
"Well, my brother saved me from...a monster as well..."

She then slowly turned to face me.
She was about to say something when a soft blue ball hit me on the head.

A white little female pony with blue-colored mane and tail and with a horn on her forehead quickly went to me and apologized, "Oops! I'm sorry mister...! Please don't be angry..." That last part sounded too low.

It didn't hurt, so why would I be angry?

"Oh, Rarity. Do be careful next time, okay?" Daisy said with a smile as she puts one of her hoof on the little pony's head, patting her gently, as I took the ball and lend it to her.

She took it, but she was still looking worried.

"Rarity!" another little orange pony shouted. She must be her playmate.

"Oh, coming Applejack!" she shouted back as she turned to her.
She, again, turned to me. "Sorry," she bowed.

"Say something." Daisy said, facing me.
What should I say?

"Um... Go on and play?" and finally, the little white pony smiled and ran back to her playmate.

---
10

It was almost sunset and I needed to go.
She invited me to her house again for some 'tea'.
I think that was the brown liquid I tried to drink yesterday.

She told me that this little circle is called a chair, and this wide, white and tall circle is called a table.
Somehow, I'm getting a weird feeling that she thinks I don't know any of these stuff, but, of course I don't.
I don't think I should complain though. I liked to know more about this place anyway.

She didn't mind me imitating her way of drinking it, and...
"Bleayk!"
I didn't like it, and I accidentally dropped the cup.
Good thing it didn't break, she said.

"I guess you don't like tea," she said, chuckling a bit.
Somehow, I felt a bit embarrassed...
She went and took another teapot, and this time, she said, it's filled with water, and not tea.
At least now I know that I'm really sticking with water now, and not with tea.

"Did you ever wished your sister was still here with you?"

"Of course!" I quickly responded with a tone that sounded like I was angry.
"I'm sorry..." I quickly apologized.

"It's okay... I do, to... My brother, with me, I mean..."
Of course I know what you mean... I don't think you'd like my sister to be around with you, anyway...
She doesn't like changing forms.

"Hey, I got an idea," she said, breaking the silence while I was sipping my second cup of water.
"Maybe we could be, you know, brother and sister."

That doesn't sound like a bad idea.
I do like to be with her, to be around her.
I don't want to lose her, to be away from her.

But... I'm a Changeling...
Maybe I should tell her that first.

"What do you say?" she asked.

"I'm okay with it." Wait... I was suppose to tell her what I am first!

---
11

"You're visiting that town, aren't you?" My mom asked.
She knew! She knew! What should I do?!

I was feeling tired after I got back.
I went inside the cave and went to my usual spot.
I was about to drop myself on the cave's floor to sleep when my mom came in.
She asked me where I was the whole day.
I couldn't answer her... I haven't prepared a good lie for this...

"You know what could happen if they find out..." she said, though calm, I can feel the secret angry tone.
I looked down on the cave floor, staring at a small grey pebble.

---
12

My mom's rambling went on for almost half an hour...
I actually listened to every word she said, but I never got the chance to reply.
I just, absorbed it all...
It wasn't the first time she scolded me like that.

In the previous times, every time I try and talk back, her rambling would be prolonged.
So I stayed quiet, so it'll be over quicker.

I do understand the risk but I couldn't help myself.

---
13

Daisy gave me a name...
"Henry Hoof."
That was the name of her little brother.

I was actually okay with it.
At least I, once again, have a big sister again.
But she didn't like the idea of being the big sister.
For one thing, she said, I looked older than she is.
I didn't believe her.

She has a tall reflecting thing she called a 'mirror'.
That was the first time I saw myself as a pony.

I was a green pony, as green as...uh...a fresh grass sprout, under the shade of a big tree, maybe?
It would be simpler, she said, if I'll describe my color as dark-green.
Okay then.
I was about to compare my color to the leaves but, the leaves are all red and yellow for some strange reason...

My mane and tail are brown. Almost as brown as Daisy's, but a bit darker.
My horn is pointed, just like that little Rarity, though a little bigger.
I also have my wings. Same color as my body color.

I tried spreading my wings, it was white underneath.
Somehow, I liked my wings looking this way.

And oh, that book near my tail.
I think she called it a 'cutie mark'.
It really is a book.
An opened book, with black white pages.

I wanted to ask her about this 'cutie mark' and some other things...
But I guess I couldn't go there tomorrow...

I'm sorry, little sister...

---
14

Here I am, the black Changeling, looking down on his reflection in this little pond near the cave...
I should have been there hours ago but, sigh...

My mom suddenly sat down beside me. I can see her reflection. She's looking at me.
"Why are you so fond of that place?"

"I don't know... I don't really know..."
I quickly answered.
That was no lie.
I honestly don't know.
Maybe it was because of books.
Maybe because I was looking for something new, other than caves and trees and other look-a-like Changelings...
Maybe because of Daisy?

---
15

I can't believe my mother would let me go back there!
I'm running as fast as I could, only to reach disappointment...

She's not here...
She didn't wait for me...

No, I shouldn't blame her.
She might just got tired of waiting, that's all...

---
16

The town is really quiet today...
There are no ponies walking around.

I can't open the bakery's 'door'...
I can't even open Daisy's 'door'...
I called out her name...
No response...

I should probably go to the park.

---
17

No one's here, either...
What's going on here?

---
18

I'm tired...

---
19

Okay, that's it.
I'm flying for a better view!

---
20

Oh, there are lots of ponies down there near that big red wood-house.
I better check it out.

---
21

I don't know why, but I was really really glad to see Daisy there!
She was standing outside this place she called Sweet Apple Acres.

She did waited for me, but her friends called her to get here, or she'll be late.
She told me I was late to see Princess Celestia, and her opening speech.

As we walked inside the acres, she told me that the town is celebrating the annual celebration of welcoming Autumn.
She also told me that the race just got started.

What race, I asked.

We stopped in front of a white 'fence', it was as high as my neck, but I still have a nice view.
Daisy stood on her two hind legs, and rested her front legs over the fence.
Too bad though, the racers are already too far away.
And these red and yellow and brown leaves are falling everywhere.

While she was explaining the purpose of the race, this tall white winged pony stands out over there, enjoying the scene of the falling leaves.
She's really different... Far too different from the rest of the other ponies around here.

"That's Princess Celestia."
Daisy said after she got my attention through poking my neck with her hoof.
"Were you even listening?"

"Oh, sorry sis..."

"Well, too bad, 'cause I'm not repeating all of it," she stuck her tongue out.

---
22

I really never would have expected that the winner of the race would be a small pony.
The very same orange pony I saw yesterday, the one Rarity called Applejack.

Still so young, but already achieved something great.
Oh hey, she has a big brother.
A red pony.

They look really happy together.

"Just like you and me, brother." Daisy smiled.

Just like...you and me...

---
23

There's a long line of ponies, all waiting their turn to meet and greet Princess Cele...whatever...
Daisy said they do this annually...
Why are the ponies so excited to meet her, if they do this annually?

Anyway, it was our turn.
We went inside the red 'barn' where Pricess Cele'stia' is seated behind a more wider brown table.
There are other serious-looking winged ponies standing like rocks, forming a path for us to take.
Daisy said these are the princess' royal guards.

Midway, I saw the princess looking at us...
Or, to be more specific, looking at me...
At me... But she's still smiling.

"Hello princess," Daisy bowed right after we reached the other end of the table.

It wasn't as wide as I thought.
No, yes, it is wide, from my left to my right, almost reaching the two walls of this 'barn' but, the two ends of the table, from us to the princess, is really really narrow.
We could even reach her, but I don't think that's a good idea.

"Bow down..." she whispered.

"Oh, sorry..." I quickly bowed.

I saw Daisy rose her head, so I raised mine back as well.

Well, she's pretty...bright?
I mean, she's pretty bright for my eyes...
I'm a cave-dweller, and it kind of hurts my eyes to see white stuff...
I just hope she wouldn't mind...

"Hello, my little ponies," the princess gracefully said.
I don't know why I said gracefully but, to me, it does sound graceful.
Not soft like Daisy, but, oh, I give up...

She turned to me, still smiling.
"Ah, so I did see you right."
No idea what she meant by that. I better listen...
"You're an Alicorn Pony," she blinked her eyes. "Alicorns usually possess great magic, and often come from royalty."
Royalty is right. My mom's the queen of our tribe. Maybe 'chief' would fit?
Not quite sure about that magic part...
Anyway... I should think of an excuse now...

"Um... Well... I just live with my mom in a—"

"Oh? I'd love to meet her."
My mom said it's rude to butt-in when you're not yet finished talking...
Some princess this princess is...
"Of course, she's an Alicorn as well?"

I think I just remembered something...

Oh darn...
My mom said something about Princess Celestia hating us Changelings...
Though she showed us mercy and let us be, as long as we won't cause trouble...
Now, I'm right in front of her, about to—

"I'm sorry to interrupt, princess, but..." Daisy suddenly said, with her soft toned voice.
Honestly, I forgot she was beside me...

"Yes? What is it dear?"

"My brother here somehow couldn't remember...anything...at all..." she replied, tilting her head down a bit.

Princess Celestia seemed to be surprised.
"Oh my. That's terrible."

Thank you, little sister.

---
24

We couldn't stay there for long.
There were still a lot of ponies in line, waiting for their turn.

Before we left, Princess Celestia asked us about our relationship: about if we really were a brother and sister.
Daisy told her about it, and soon, we left the princess after bowing to her.

We eventually ran into the champion of this year's race.
Or to be more specific... She bumped right into me.
And wow! Really, wow! She knocked me!
Daisy was beside me, so I fell on her, and we both fell to the ground.

That little orange pony was one tough pony...
It's natural to get angry but, I'll let it go.
It hurt, yes, but she's just a small kid.
Daisy had it the other way.
She scolded her, but I stopped her after she said a few words, giving the little pony teary eyes.
I apologized to my little sister's behavior to her, and to her grandmother and her big brother.
They apologized as well.

I pulled Daisy out of there, for I thought if we didn't, our apologizing will loop and loop.

---
25

Wow...
I never thought my little sister could get angry like that.
And she is still grumbling...
Oh well...

She bought an 'apple pie' before we went back to her home.

---
26

All the trees' leaves around town are all gone now.
How did that happen? I thought the race was in that acres?

The green grass and yellow-brown sand and brown soil are all covered with red, yellow and brown leaves.
Ponies loved it. It was beautiful, they said.
I find it...messy and annoying.

---
27

I don't think I've said this yet but...
'Eating' stuff doesn't really help satisfying my hunger.
I'm not hungry yet, by the way.

I ate some 'pie' anyway...

We chatted about what happened earlier that day.
Or... She talked and talked while I listened, and answered if she came up with a question.
I don't talk much ever since my real sister was gone.
I talk much in my head...
And I noticed... I've been even more talkative inside my head ever since we fed.
I guess a satisfied belly can do wonders.

---
28

I am now at the foot of our lonely mountain, and the sun was already down but it was still giving off orange rays filling the sky.
I almost forgot to change back into a Changeling before I came out of the forest.

I went inside the cave. My mom wasn't there, as usual.
I went to my usual spot and lied there—near the 'end-wall'.
That's what I call it, anyway.

While I was walking home, inside the forest, Daisy's question kept echoing inside my head...

"Why won't you stay here with me? You can live here in Ponyville with me."

I'd love to, but—
Oh, there's my mom.
I rose my head and locked my sight at her.
She seemed to be troubled by something.

"Come with me, my dear."

---
29

We went on a cliff, a few distance away from our mountain.
Just the two of us, mother and son, looking at the evening horizon.
The stars are glittering so brightly.

None of us said a word during and ever since we got here.
I wonder if my mom wanted me to ask her why we're here in the first place.
I'm feeling a bit tired, from all that walking from the village to home, and then from home to here.

I took a look down the cliff.
It's not really deep, but, a wingless creature can have enough time to spell 'death' before they touch the ground.

"While you were away..." she finally said, breaking the silence and making me look at her.
She's still looking at the horizon.
"Chrysalis came back."
That witch...?

Chrysalis and my mom look pretty identical but, there are a few differences, from what I can remember...
My mom has a few holes. My mom's eyes are brown, like mine, and the rest of her subjects.
My mom's wings are thicker and wider, but still a bit transparent, and her horn doesn't look like a messy thunderbolt—whatever.

Wait...
She was here?

"I felt her power. She's stronger than before."
That's not good.
She finally faced me.

"Whatever it was you were doing in that town, better end it tomorrow."

"W-what?"
I couldn't believe what I'm hearing...!

She closed her eyes as she nodded.
She then faced the horizon after opening her eyes.
I was still looking at her, still couldn't believe what I just heard...

"That witch wants us to join her."
Join her? No way!
"That's why we should leave this place..."
But where to?

She sighed and was silent for a while.

"Cloth and his brother found a good place for us all."

Cloth...
Ever since my father and sister were gone, Cloth somehow became my mom's most trusted subject.
He's good at anything, and he's so loyal to my mom.
He even respects me.

"I can't..."
I couldn't believe we're really going away...
But I couldn't believe even more at what I just said!
My mom simply sighed as she slowly faced me.

"You've grown attached to that place, haven't you?"

"Y-ye...No..."

"Tell me your name..."

What?
My name?
I don't have...
...
...I have a name...
...I do have a name...
Daisy gave me a name...

But...

"Henry..."

She smiled after a moment of pause.

---
30

"Mom, this is Daisy..."
I nervously said.
My mom and I just exited the forest, and Daisy was still on her usual spot.

Daisy doesn't really know what to say, but she just bowed down.
I think I can feel her nervousness...

She rose her head up, and the instant she did, she was terrified and immediately screamed.

I quickly turned to my mom, who—to my horror—was not my mom, but Chrysalis, smiling evilly and staring at me.

---
31

The sun wasn't up yet, but I was.
That was a dream—no, a nightmare.

How long has it been since I last saw a nightmare?
I couldn't remember...
And I should try and forget about that weird dream...

---
32

Okay, I couldn't get back to sleep...

I went outside and sat on the side of this little pond, staring at the Changeling looking back at me...

I have to admit...
Being able to stay with my little sister feels great but...
...I have to leave my mom and the rest of the Changelings...

---
33

I told my mom about Daisy, and how I got my name.
She said that she has heard even weirder ways for Changelings to earn their names.
She said she was proud of me, being able to earn my name all by myself.
But she was sad that I found it there in the pony village.

---
34

This is probably the worst of all the choices I face.
I love my mom my whole life.
Daisy is just some pony... Some pony who somehow I feel really attached...

Don't want to leave either of them...

---
35

Daisy and I are in the park, under the same tree, but now it's leafless.
I told her about it, excluding the parts about Changelings and earning names, and other things.

I told her that my mom was the leader of the pony nomads that visited this town last week.
She remembered it.
She even told me she remembered seeing me.

---
36

My mom and the town leader, or 'mayor', talked, and after a few minutes, the 'mayor' allowed us to stay for a while.
The ponies welcomed us, though they don't treat or talk to us the same way to their well-known ponies.
I couldn't blame them. It's normal.

Daisy said she was watering her flowers in front of her house when she saw me.
At first, she thought I was a unicorn pony.
She didn't notice my wings at the time.

She kept watering her plants, though at the corner of her eyes, she can see me, staring at her.
That was probably the time I was 'feeding' on her.
She wanted to talk to me, but after she finished watering her plants, I was already on my way to my mom.
She suddenly felt dizzy for a little while, so she dropped the idea and went inside her house.

I must have fed too much.

---
37

"I have an idea," Daisy suddenly said, "why don't I come with you and your mom?"
That took me by surprise.

Not a bad idea...

...

That's a really bad idea...

My mom and her subjects need to look like ponies for the rest of their lives just for her?
Or...
I or we could show her who we really are, and risk my chance of ever talking or seeing her again?

Or...
Maybe I could leave her and be with my mom...?
Or...
Stay with her, and leave me mom...?

"What about your mom?" I asked...
And soon, I felt guilty for asking such a question...

Her smile completely dropped after I asked her that question.
"I don't want to talk about it..." she quietly said...

I rubbed her back with my front 'hoof'.
Earlier today, she told me that they call their feet 'hooves', or 'hoof'...

---
38

It's high noon now...
It's the time I should give my decision...
My mom or my little sister...

I hate deciding...

As always, Daisy walked with me to the forest's edge.

---
39

I'm really surprised to see my mother at the forest's edge.
Not as a Changeling Queen, but as a big 'Alicorn' pony.
She's probably as tall as Princess Celestia.

She disguised herself as a grey-colored alicorn, and her mane and tale are colored black.
Her eyes are still brown.

I don't really know what to say or what to do.
I couldn't see Daisy.
She's probably beside me, but I couldn't see her on the edge of my eyes.
She's probably a bit behind.

"So this is 'Daisy', your little sister...?" she asked, with a bit of anger on her tone.

I looked back and saw her bowed down.

"I'm not of royalty whom you should bow to, my dear," she said, feeling a bit embarrassed as she waved one of her front hoof.
I haven't seen my mom like that in a long time. It was quite funny.

Daisy quickly returned her head up and looked at me.
"You two really look alike," she said, faking a smile.
I don't know how, but I could somehow tell her smile was fake.

"Of course, he's my son, after all."
My mom then faced me.
"Dear, have you decided?"

...

"Um..." Daisy said with a very low tone.
My mom and I looked at her.
"I could go with you."

I am surprised she would ask my mom that!
She cou—

"You can't, my dear," my mother quickly said. "You belong here."

"B-but. I want to be with Henry, your—" she quickly stopped herself.
"I-I'm so sorry... He's your son, so I'm sure he already has a name you gave him..."

No idea what she meant by that...
Aren't ponies also going to name themselves one day?
Or is it just us Changelings?

"It's fine, my dear. 'Henry' is a good name," she said, though I could sense sadness in between those words.

"Well..." Daisy said, "I don't really belong here... Not anymore..."

Why is that?
Her mom, maybe?

"I have nopony here anymore... I lost my brother... My father left me and my mom, and my mom..."

She started crying.
I don't know what came inside my head, but I hugged her, rubbing her back gently.

Crying...
Tears falling out from her eyes, rolling down her face...

Crying...
I always hated seeing my big sister cry...
I always get into fights because my sister was always being teased by other Changelings during my childhood.

Now, my little sister is crying, and there is no one for me to fight because of it...
Oh well...

---
40

I couldn't sleep...
I don't really know why.
I feel happy, yet, I'm feeling sad at the same time...
It's a really weird mixture of emotions...

I'm really having a lot of new words to use...

---
41

My mom said if I couldn't decide, then she'll decide for me.
And she decided for me to stay with my little sister.

Before she left, I asked if she'll be able to visit us one day...
She didn't say anything. She just left after hugging the two of us, and making Daisy promise to look after me...

"Promise to visit us one day!" I shouted as she flew away.

---
42

I have a very comfortable bed.
Daisy said this is called a 'double-deck bed'...
She's sleeping on the top bed.
She always sleep on top, and her brother on the bottom.

I slept on my side, facing the 'window'...
The only thing I could see through that window is another house...
The only sounds I could here are the 'ticking' of her 'wall clock' and the noise I make each time I change my sleeping position...

I really need to go to sleep...

Hm... I wonder how we can tell the time with that 'wall clock'...

---
43

I was awakened by a very loud and ear-killing scream.
The instant the scream started, I quickly opened my eyes, and the first I saw was Daisy, screaming and facing me.
She took quick steps back that made her accidentally bump on this huge wood thing that has lots of books.
A number of books fell, some directly to the floor, and some on her head, especially that very thick red book.
She lost her consciousness soon after.

---
44

We apologized to her neighbors after she got her consciousness back.

After, we sat down on these little 'chairs' again, right next to another 'window', and in between us was the tall and wide white 'table'.
She drank some tea to 'calm her nerves'.
Although I know what happened and what she saw, I asked her anyway.

She said she saw a black pony-thing.
And the orange-glowing eyes terrified her even more, making her walk back.

She chuckled.
She convinced herself that she was just probably halucinating, or something around that word.
She never had anyone else with her in this little 'house'.

---
45

I quickly jumped off the bed to help her, but I stopped myself after I put my hoof on her head.
I saw my hoof... It was black.
I turned to the mirror...
I was a Changeling again...

I carried her to my bed before I changed myself to my pony-self.

---
46

I change back to a Changeling if I fall asleep...
I really should tell her the truth about me sooner or later...

But if I do tell her...
She'll probably...
...get angry...
...and never want to see me again...

I'll end up all alone...
...my sister doesn't want me...
...I don't know where my mother is...

---
47

"Share some," Daisy suddenly said.
Share some...what...?

"You think too much..." I guess I do...
"I'm your little sister, remember?" she smiled, "You can talk to me about anything, right?"
I sure hope so...

I sighed.
"What if..."
She got eager to listen.
"What if what you saw was really me?"
It really was me...
A defensive type of revealing who I truly am, maybe?

"What?" She thought about it for a while.

She took a sip.
She looked out the window.

"That's impossible..."

It became quiet for a while.
This time, though, she's the one having a lot on her mind.
And I'm very eager to know what she's thinking.

She suddenly shook her head.

"I think...what I saw...was..."

She slowly faced me.
Her face, still the same, but somehow, it was full of sadness.

"...a Changeling..."

---
48

She knows what Changelings are.
So... Is it okay to say I'm a Changeling too?

That was the first thing I thought, but...

"My brother was killed by a monster..."

That was the first thing she said about her brother.
And just now, she said it again, the second time, more clearer now...

"My brother was killed by a Changeling..."

---
49

I dropped my mouth wide open.
I couldn't believe what I just heard.

That only made things worst for me...
If I tell her, she'll definitely want to send me away!

---
50

She shook her head once more.
After she did, she flashed a smile.
I find it weird though...

"Let's not talk about gloomy stuff."

She turned to the window.

"It's a fine day today!"

It is a fine day...
Maybe I shouldn't worry about it for the time being...

But...

----------
End of Chapter 1
----------

Author's Note:

Edited on February 5, 2013