• Published 14th Sep 2016
  • 4,109 Views, 60 Comments

Shadows Within the Light - Oddling



A crystal of unknown origin was found in the heart of the Everfree Forest. It was brought before the two royal princesses where they discovered an ancient evil's power dwelling within... Nightmare Moon left a gift for them. What is it meant for?

  • ...
14
 60
 4,109

16 - Into Darkness

The creeping light of the early dawn started to illuminate the far skyline as Mathew finally found a quiet spot to sit down. He slowly sat down, so as to avoid having an unwanted rock give him an early wake up call. As the light began to grow brighter, he noticed he was no longer alone.

Discord popped into existence beside Mathew, his usual playful nature subdued as a look of deep thought molded his expression. After a few minutes of quiet, Mathew decided to look away from the sunrise to Discord. “So what’s on your mind?” he asked the Draconequus.

Discord simply shrugged and eyed the rising sun as his unspoken emotions fought for dominance. “I hope you realize that I don’t like your idea,” he finally said to Mathew.

Mathew sighed softly and turned back to the morning sun. “Yeah… but, as I said last night, it won’t come to that if they listen to me. I gave you both my word that I’d try the diplomatic route first. I’m going to wait a few days to let them settle their friendship problems… then I’m making my move,” he said, pausing as Celestia’s sun finally rose up into the sky. The sight was gorgeous.

A few moments later, Discord huffed and turned to face Mathew, a look of suspicion etched into his long face. “You do realize that there’s a good reason I’m not thrilled with your plan, right?” he asked.

Mathew nodded but held his tongue.

Discord crossed his arms and leaned back. “You fooled Luna, but you can’t trick me, so out with it. Why are you so eager to attempt what is essentially suicide?” Discord asked lowly.

Mathew forced a short chuckle and shook his head. “Suicide seems a bit harsh. It’s more that I’m taking a big risk by confronting Celestia about her current life path,” he replied.

“Which is the same as confronting a god,” Discord countered. “I told you she could have killed me, had she wanted to. You may have more potential than I when it comes to chaos magic, but even you would only be capable of matching her as an equal, at best, with your nullification. Should she grow to the point of fighting you, which I have little doubt she will, you’d be at a severe disadvantage when it comes to battle experience against her arsenal. For crying out loud, she harnesses the raw power of this realm’s sun!” Discord finished firmly.

Mathew sighed, but a small smirk lingered on his features. “That may be true, but you’re forgetting something,” he said and turned to face Discord. “My race didn’t get to where it is by giving up against unfair odds. Especially when we felt the reward was worth the risk. If I can get through to her… this can all end in the right way, and I’m willing to put my life on the line to achieve that end.”

Discord huffed again, but a small smile tugged at his lips. “There’s more to this than you’re letting on. I can feel the makings of a plan, but you’re doing a good job of hiding it from me. You know… you’d make an excellent Lord of Chaos,” he said with a mirthful chuckle.

Mathew chuckled as well. “True, but that’s your thing. I may have the magic, but you’ve got the brains. Maybe, once this is all over, you and I can team up. Until then… I’ve got some more thinking to do… and I’ll need to practice a few spells to fine tune them before the fight with Celestia,” he said and got up from his rock.

Discord nodded and turned away, jumping into the air like a serpent swimming through the wind. He stopped to hover and glanced back at Mathew once more. “I’ll take my leave then. This old Lord of Chaos has to… find a way to apologize to a few friends. I’ll make sure I weave a nice little tale about your impending invasion, but do try to keep things from getting out of hand,” he smirked.

Mathew rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders. “No promises. Once the encounter starts it’ll be a full-on improvisation. It’ll be nice if things go smoothly, though there’s a chance things will end up more chaotic than the two of us could ever dream.”

Mathew paused for a moment as a thought hit him. He offered a small smile up toward Discord. “I know I failed you, when I made you that promise, but could you offer Applejack some comfort for me?”

Discord mock sighed and placed the back of his paw against his head dramatically. “I shall strive to accomplish this task, for the fair maiden deserves at least that much. Still, I don’t see why you don’t just go to her and tell her how you really feel about her.”

“Because she’s only a friend to me,” Mathew quickly replied. “Seriously… why do you keep joking about that? It’s cruel when you do that, leading her on, so just knock it off.”

Discord sighed, but offered a small knowing smile. “You can deny it for as long as you like, Mathew. But know this… you never know what your heart desires until it’s either too late or gone forever. I learned that lesson the hard way,” he said calmly.

Mathew sighed and looked away for a moment. “Tell you what,” he began, “the day you open up and confess to Fluttershy, I’ll consider what my feelings are for Luna and Applejack.”

Discord hummed and placed his talons on his chin, tapping away in thought. Then a sly grin spread across his maw and he narrowed his eyes. “If I confess to her, then you have to at least give their romance a chance - anything less and no dice. Deal?” he said with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

Mathew groaned, but let a small grin spread across his face. He shook his head, knowing he was just asking for trouble, but he figured he could exploit a loophole in the deal later. “Sure… I’ll agree to that, but you better go all out and make it a worthwhile confession. If you try to make it into a joke or waste time blowing it out of proportion then I’ll wave it off. You have to do it seriously,” he smirked.

Discord’s grin grew wider and he nodded his head. “One princess worthy confession, coming right up. I do hope you’re ready for more kisses, because this is going to be so much fun! Oh! Now I need to figure out what to wear…” and with that, Discord snapped his talons and a large purple door appeared from thin air. He opened it and walked through and the door shut itself before vanishing with a weird swishing sound and a pop.

Mathew eyed the spot that Discord had just occupied. Then, when he was sure the Draconequus was truly gone, he let his grin vanish into a neutral look. He turned his gaze back to the sun and inhaled deeply. “Looks like things might get interesting… but it all depends on you. How will you react to someone trying to stop you, Celestia?” he whispered.

He stared at the sun for a few moments before turning away to begin his preparations. He had a few days to iron out the kinks in his spells, and limited magic to waste doing so. Mathew’s gaze lowered to his shadow. Are you ready for this, Nightmare? he asked through thought.

Yes.” Nightmare Moon replied. “Though I don’t know how much help I will be.”

Mathew chuckled softly and smiled. “Trust me, you’ll be more help than anyone else. I’ll need you to help me monitor my spells and how much magic I consume testing them. It’s hard to keep track without a mirror,” he assured her.

~~***~~

Five days passed. Each day grated on Mathew, like something was about to happen and he would never see it coming. The sensation had nearly driven him insane, but he had managed to keep his cool. Then, during his final set of tests to make sure his magic was in top form and his spells fully prepared, the sensation stopped. He froze in place and looked up to the sun. Mathew could feel it in the air… Celestia had fixated on him. It was time to make his move.

Mathew sprinted for the edge of the cliff and jumped into the open air. An instant later, his body was engulfed by shadow and he vanished from sight. His form reappeared on the edge of the Everfree Forest right beside Fluttershy’s home. He placed his hand to the ground and slipped some of his magic into the soil. In a flash of shadow he vanished once more to repeat the cycle in another location.

Throughout the list of locations he visited, Mathew felt rushed. It was as if time was against him but at the same time not. He just could not explain the feeling, only knowing that he needed to get this crucial part of his plan completed as quickly as he could to stay one step ahead of Celestia.

Mathew reappeared in the center of Ponyville, right beside the small fountain in the town square, and he knelt down to place his magic in the ground. A sudden series of gasps quickly followed suit but he ignored them – he had to finish that last spell. He noticed a building magic in the air… one that he recognized. He hastily completed the spell and then casually turned his head in the direction the magic was coming from.

Twilight stood there with Rarity and Fluttershy beside her. The purple Alicorn held a look of anger on her face, yet the expression in her eyes said she was anything but. Rarity held a look of trepidation, while Fluttershy seemed to be… happy. Mathew suppressed a smile when he noticed the yellow pegasus. His gaze locked with Twilight's and the tension in the air built up... he had not intended to meet them so soon.

“So…” Mathew began slowly as he stood. “Are you capable of talking normally now, or do I have to waste my time in another show of force with you?” he asked bluntly.

Rarity balked at that but stayed silent while Fluttershy cringed and glanced at Twilight. The purple princess of magic held her composure well, only letting her eyes flinch slightly. Twilight took a single step forward and then bowed her head slightly. “Let’s talk,” she said, “since you’re obviously here for a reason. But I want to make it perfectly clear that I don’t trust you. So why are you here?”

Mathew relaxed a bit, feeling the lack of hostility he had in their previous encounter. If anything, Twilight gave off a heck of a lot of sympathy this time. His next words would change that. “I’m here to play the bad guy… just as you all hoped I would.”

The three mares all stared in shock. “What…” Rarity began, but was cut off by Mathew’s swift hand gesture.

“I’m not here to cause any unnecessary conflicts. My reason for being here is my own, but I’m almost willing to bet that Celestia will come for me this day. She and I have something to discuss…” Mathew said, trailing off for a moment as he felt something in the air, “but I will fight her if she doesn’t listen to reason.”

Twilight’s brow knit together as she processed those specific words. Her ears sank back slightly and she lifted a front hoof in mild alarm. “What do you mean by that? Why wouldn’t she listen to you? More importantly… what is it you’re trying to convince her of?” she asked.

Mathew offered a pained smile. “I’m trying to keep her from making the same mistake that I once did. If I can get her to-“ his words were silenced as the high pitched sound of a fast approaching object instantly drew his attention. Mathew’s reaction was just fast enough to send his arms up as a streak of rainbow colors slammed into him.

His body was launched backward, but he managed to use three short bursts of his magic to stop his momentum and land on his feet just ten feet away. Mathew’s arms glowed with leaking, pale magic as the torn flesh and shattered bones mended. He looked back toward Twilight and saw the prismatic mane and tail as Rainbow Dash hovered where he previously stood. She was panting slightly with an angry look in her magenta eyes.

Rainbow shook the tingle out of her hooves and growled, “Don’t you dare try to hurt my friends.”

Mathew lowered his arms and grinned at the cyan Pegasus. “You know, it helps diplomacy when there aren’t any blows thrown before the real talking can begin,” he said calmly. “I have no intention of harming anyone… unless they attack me first.”

The moment the last word left Mathew’s mouth, his body shot forth and Rainbow’s chest was snared with a tendril of shadow from his arm. He slammed her into the ground and held her there with all of his weight, coming face to face with her. “So I suggest you hold yourself in check,” he growled with glowing gold eyes. In the next instant, his body swished through the air to stand where he had just been.

It was evident then, that the peaceful human they once knew had sunk to the point that he held no reservations about openly attacking them. The worst of it was that Twilight had not been given a single second to act to protect her friend. In the instant that he moved to seize Rainbow Dash, a wave of magic had pulsed off of him and worked in a way that canceled out Twilight’s connection to her magic. None of them stood a chance against him and she knew it.

Rainbow lay on the ground for a long few moments, as she calmed herself. Her fear of Mathew had reached an all time high thanks to his display of power. She knew he had gone easy on her. Even though her wing joints ached from the impact, she was smart enough to know that he had purposefully thrown her so that her wings folded with the motion. His movements and strength had been flawless… but those predatory golden eyes were what truly terrified her. There was no hesitation in that gaze; only a cold calculative drive, that she hoped she never got the chance to understand.

Mathew returned his attention to Twilight. “As I said before… I’d rather not waste my time and energy on unnecessary conflicts, but I will if I have to.”

Twilight got the hint, and though she was angry with what he had done to her friend, she yielded. Her ears fell back and she dipped her head in submission. “We won’t fight you… but you better not hurt the princess, or so help me I’ll find a way to defeat you,” she warned.

A small sad smile crept across Mathew’s lips and he broke his gaze from her. “You don’t have to worry about that,” he assured her. Then he turned his attention back to Rainbow Dash. “Rainbow… do me a small favor… bring Pinkie Pie and Applejack here, if you would be so kind.”

Rainbow slowly got up, flexing her sore wings before glancing at Twilight. Her friend gave her a small nod and Rainbow was off into the air to retrieve the last two element bearers.

~~***~~

Time seemed to crawl by as Mathew waited for Rainbow Dash to return with Pinkie and Applejack. His outside appearance was cold and emotionless, but inside he was starting to worry. It was important for all of the element bearers to be nearby or his plan would hit its first major dilemma. His anxiousness had started to grow to the point that, if one looked close enough, his sweat was noticeable.

A silent sigh slipped through Mathew’s nose and he finally uncrossed his arms, breaking his gaze away from Canterlot’s tiny form on the side of the distant mountain. Mathew’s patience was running thin as the gnawing feeling at the back of his mind grew more intense. His eyes danced around, searching for any sign of Rainbow Dash. He started thinking about how much time had passed and wondered if it would be worth the risk to try searching for her when Rarity cleared her throat gently.

“Something seems to be troubling you,” Rarity said, eyeing Mathew closely.

Mathew met her gaze levelly and offered a small nod. “Indeed. I’ve thought up a few plans for this day, but each one holds risk.”

Rarity’s eyes lowered for a moment as she thought on his words. Her gaze locked back onto Mathew’s and she asked, “What kind of risk, and is there anything we can do to help?”

Mathew’s eyes hardened for an instant before he looked away, back toward the castle. “That’s none of your concern and there’s nothing you can do – not now, at least,” he replied bluntly.

The white unicorn nearly balked at his rude response, but seemed to pick up on something as she carefully considered his words. “Why do you consider it ‘none of our concern’? As your friend, I think it would be,” she said softly.

Mathew’s head turned slowly back to glare at Rarity. “You are not my friend,” he stated coldly. “We’re simply acquainted through a mutually known princess. As far as I’m concerned the only one of you, aside from Luna, that I’d consider a friend is Applejack. However…” Mathew’s voice trailed off as he turned his gaze back to the castle, “what little is left of our bonds may finally come to an end today.”

“Mathew…” Twilight finally spoke up, “I feel I must apologize for my actions.”

“I don’t forgive you,” Mathew instantly replied, keeping his eyes fixed on the castle. “There’s no need for you to waste your time apologizing to me. It’s not worth it. You have my thanks, for what little time you spent helping me, but that’ll be the extent of our relationship. You were a kind pony to me once. Now you’ll just be one of those I’ll simply forget about in a few years… besides, there’s no point in trying to make up with someone who won’t be here for much longer anyway,” he finished calmly.

“W-what do you mean, Mathew, if you don’t mind my asking?” Fluttershy said softly, doing her best to hide her face from him, yet also fighting the sudden urge to get closer.

Mathew sighed and turned a soft gaze to the poor yellow pegasus mare. “What I mean is that I don’t plan on staying in your world forever. Being the only one of my kind… it makes me pretty sad, to be honest.”

“Oh…” was all Fluttershy could say in response. It made sense, after all. They had taken him for granted in that sense, never realizing just how lonely it must have been for Mathew. That, and the loss of his father… it drove the point home in quite the heart wrenching manner.

Mathew sighed again and looked around once more. That was it; he had to find Rainbow Dash and the rest. He went to move when a sudden high-pitched squee rang out from nearby. The next thing Mathew knew, he was being embraced by a soft fluffy bundle of pink joy. Pinkie Pie squeezed him firmly while sucking in a deep breath. “OhmygoshI’msogladyou’reokay,” was about all Mathew got out of the rapid-fire stream of words that cascaded out of her mouth.

Mathew then noticed Rainbow dash swoop in from somewhere while Applejack slowly emerged from behind a nearby building. A wave of relief passed over him and he caught himself before his face revealed the smile he wanted to give them. Instead, he gave them all a passive look as he accounted for them being in one place. Things had gone well… so far. That was until Mathew noticed the purple and green dragon that walked just behind Applejack.

The instant he noticed Spike, Mathew knew what had taken them so long to get back. He turned his gaze toward Pinkie, who was still clinging to him happily. “Hey, Pinkie Pie, it sure took you guys a while to get back. Did you send a message to the princess or something?” he asked her.

Pinkie’s eyes widened and her smile grew as she nodded. “You betcha! Rainbow said it was important that we let the princesses know that you were here. She didn’t really tell me why, but I could tell it must have been super duper important,” she beamed at him.

Mathew offered her a small smile and pat her head. “Thanks for letting me know that,” he said and then looked at the shrinking figure of Rainbow as she tried to hide behind Twilight. A sly grin crossed over his features. “Looks like you might have helped me get things put in motion sooner, Rainbow Dash. What did that letter say?”

Twilight’s wings automatically unfolded in a display of defending her friend as Rainbow did her best to not shiver in fear behind her. The cyan pegasus cleared her throat and she looked anywhere but at Mathew, for fear of seeing those golden eyes again. “I, uh, actually sent her a warning. I told her you were waiting...” she admitted nervously.

Mathew’s expression morphed into a displeased frown for a moment, but was quickly replaced by a smile of amusement that was followed by a chuckle. “Perfect,” he said, “that means she’ll definitely be coming.”

Mathew then looked back down at the pink pony that still hugged him. He placed a hand on her shoulder and bent forward to whisper in her ear. “I’m sorry Pinkie, but I think this hug has lasted long enough. I need you to hang out with your friends for a little while.”

Pinkie moaned sadly, not wanting the hug to end yet. “Awe, but you feel so nice to hug, like you’re just so… huggable. But you’re right, I should stick with them otherwise we might get in the way and make things more complicated for you.”

Pinkie let go of him and walked over to her friends. It was faint, but Mathew had finally picked up on it, the tiniest trace of Pinkie’s magic. He felt it as it literally danced around him. He knew she was aware of what was going to happen, and he held a new respect for the pink pony. She was fighting with her own emotions while not letting it show on the outside. It was more than just her Element of Laughter that made her strong… she had a big heart that could handle the pain.

Applejack finally walked by him. She slowed down and looked at Mathew tentatively. He glanced at her, and nodded toward Twilight and the others. There were many things he wanted to tell her in that moment, but he had to refrain. As she passed by him to join the others, the sight of her back walking away from him made a pang of guilt pierce his heart. She turned her head to glance back at him and their eyes met for a moment. Time almost froze for Mathew as his heart lurched painfully.

Mathew ripped his eyes away from Applejack to stare at the ground. He turned away from her and came face to face with Discord. The Draconequus had a massive grin on his face with big twinkling eyes. Mathew suppressed his groan of annoyance. “Don’t you dare say it,” he warned Discord quietly.

Discord’s grin melted into a smirk as he continued to look knowingly at Mathew. Even without saying anything, his look said all of what was on the chaotic being’s mind. A sudden gasp was heard from nearby, drawing both Mathew and Discord’s attention to the side as a streak of yellow glomped onto Discord. “Discord!” Fluttershy exclaimed, relieved.

Discord’s paw instinctively rose up to comfort his friend, patting her head gently and slowly stroking her pink mane. Needless to say, the sight had drawn quite a bit of attention. Applejack was the first to find her voice to ask the question that was on everypony’s mind. “Fluttershy, why are ya so happy ta see him for? Didn’t ya see him just yesterday?”

Fluttershy turned her head toward her friend and smiled. “I’m just glad he’s back. It means that I don’t have to worry about him now,” she replied happily.

Rainbow cocked a brow, along with Twilight and Rarity, and opened her mouth to speak, but Mathew was quick to cut her off. “So when will Luna be arriving?” he asked.

Discord looked to Mathew and became slightly more serious. “She’ll be here soon, but I must warn you… it sure wasn’t as easy as we thought it would be for me to get into that blasted castle. Celestia put up quite the formidable defense; seven barriers were placed all around the kingdom – two were made for me specifically, I’m sure.”

Mathew nodded as he took in the small tale. “So I was right about her preparing for this day. She wanted to keep Luna out of this. Was there anything there to keep Luna trapped within the castle?” he asked.

Discord shook his head. “No, although Celestia did try to outmaneuver you by trying to force Luna to make a promise.”

“What kind of promise?” Mathew asked with narrowed eyes.

Discord’s expression turned deadly serious. “She tried to make Luna betray you. Celestia wanted Luna to promise to help subdue you. Luna refused to help, but she said it was odd to see her older sister simply accept that and turn away. Even I was a little taken by that… the Celestia I know would have tried to plea with her little sister,” he said, a slight tinge of worry creeping into his voice.

Mathew nodded again and turned his gaze back to the far away castle. “She doesn’t think she needs to worry about it. At this point, she probably did that because it was the easier choice to make. Her goal is nearly within her grasp, so she’s indulging herself to make the experience a little more satisfying. I just hope that Luna gets here soon,” he said and sighed deeply.

The magically gifted human then turned back to Discord, whom still had a paw gently petting his little yellow crush. A small smile tugged at Mathew’s lips, but he fought it off to keep the tone of his next question more serious. “Are you sure you won’t lend me a hand when Celestia comes?”

Discord stopped his ministrations and offered Mathew a sad look. “There’s nothing an old man, like me, could do to help. Celestia, Luna, Twilight and you are all a little outside of my ability spectrum. I might have stood a better chance in the past, but that was only because I still had the element of surprise on my side. You’re all a little too familiar with what I can do for it to be of much use. Besides, your chaos magic would overlap mine, so I’d be stuck as the third wheel regardless.”

Mathew sighed softly again and shook his head. “You know, that might get in the way later if we try to team up to toy with the little ponies,” he said jokingly.

Discord chuckled ruefully before his expression softened. The motion was subtle, but Mathew noticed how his paw started gently rubbing behind Fluttershy’s ear as his expression changed. “A part of me is oddly content with that idea…” Discord said softly. Fluttershy simply stayed there, perfectly at peace beside her friendly lord of chaos.

Mathew fought off a warm smile as he watched Discord and Fluttershy… they looked pretty happy, and surprisingly cute together. For a moment he lost himself to his own imagination as he pictured himself sitting between Luna and Applejack. He blinked a few times as a new image came into his head, one that soured his mood instantly and he threw the whole idea into the trash where it belonged. There was no way things would end happily. Eventually, every sun will set and no rainbow is possible without it.

Though his mood had been fouled, Mathew still had something to do. He turned to Twilight and slowly approached her. Twilight noticed his approach and tensed slightly while Rainbow sank down further. Rarity inched closer to her fearful friend and Pinkie Pie simply stayed in one place – the simple act seeming to be completely out of place for the bubbly pink mare. Applejack quietly eyed Mathew as he approached and held herself back. She knew he had something to accomplish by that firm look in his eyes… those captivatingly complex blue eyes.

Mathew came to a stop near Twilight, keeping just enough distance to not spook Rainbow into running away, though it was unlikely that she would do so; she could never just leave her friends. His ethereal hair flickered a little more lively than usual as he stood there. “Twilight,” he said, “now that you’re all here, I’ll need to-”

A sudden explosion of silvery magic slammed into Mathew from the side, stunning him for an instant. He immediately recoiled and spun around to face his attacker, only to lay eyes upon the panting form of Luna. His hostility instantly vanished and he rushed to her side. “Luna, are you alright – what’s wrong?” he asked.

Luna opened her eyes slowly, the effort taking noticeable effort, as her entire body trembled. She panted a few more times before sucking in a lungful of air. “Tia…” she began, “tried to force me to stay. She did something… a barrier, perhaps… it started to drain my magic. I barely made it out. You must prepare yourself, Mathew. She is coming for you soon.”

Mathew breathed a sigh of relief. He offered her a small smile and placed his hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry about that. You just need to rest,” he said and turned back to Twilight. “Twilight! I need you to come over here and help Luna recover. She’s been drained of her magic.”

Twilight’s eyes widened and her ears perked up. She quickly ran over to Luna’s side and started feeling over the lunar princess’ body with her magic, scanning every inch. Her friends were quick to join her, Rainbow making sure to keep a wide berth from Mathew. Mathew knew things were in good hooves so he backed away to let the young purple Alicorn do her thing.

While the others were busy, Mathew started to implement the first stage of his plan. He knelt down and placed both of his hands on the ground. His hands started to glow with the faint pale blue of his magic before the power of shadow overlapped it. Dark lines of black magical power shot out all over the ground, going in all directions. A few bystander ponies were shocked by his act, but relaxed when the lines faded away mere seconds after they appeared.

Once he was finished, he stood up again, only to realize that Twilight was staring at him with a gaping mouth and wide eyes. They simply sat there in an awkward staring contest until Twilight’s brain started working again and she asked, “How did you do that?”

Mathew shrugged. “I figured it out through trial and error.”

“But why would you have placed that spell down? What are you planning to do?” she asked.

Mathew offered a small smile. “It’s more for an emergency… I’m hoping I won’t have to use it,” he answered.

Luna, having had time to recover enough to breathe normally, turned her attention to the ground and examined the shadow spell. Though it had vanished from sight, she could still see the power of shadow that laced the intricate spell circle. She quickly recognized the teleportation spell and eyed Mathew questioningly. “Why is it so large?” she asked him.

Mathew only glanced at Luna, choosing to remain quiet about the spell’s use. Instead, he turned his head up to the sky and narrowed his eyes. A sly grin spread over his face and he crossed his arms. “Here she comes…” he said slowly, expectantly.

Everypony, except Discord, looked at Mathew in confusion… until a crackle of power above them announced the arrival of something powerful. All eyes turned up to the sky. Hovering in the air, with wings spread wide, was the sun princess herself, Celestia…

Author's Note:

Princess Celestia has arrived. Will Mathew's vision come true or will he manage to accomplish the impossible and change fate? Tune in next week for the first half of the epic event!


Hope you enjoyed the read everyone. We're finally nearing the end of the story. Only two chapters and the epilogue left. Look forward to the coming finale. :pinkiehappy: